Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I've tried to play this and Perfect Dark, which is my favourite, on both Switch and emulated on Odin, and I just find the joystick controls impossible for aiming. The only way that I can play these in the modern day is using mouse & keyboard on a special emulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Simply Simon posted:

I revisited the game recently with M+KB and found out that, uh, even with that it's actually really drat hard. I would not have gotten through the first level without cheats as a kid, so I kind of made the right call. Granted, I did 00 first because I wanted to see and do all the objectives (something I ofc always ignored as a kid), but after a few deaths you know the general layout, then you just have to, uh, git gud.

I just wanted to support you on two points. Firstly, I can't play Goldeneye or Perfect Dark myself without a mouse & keyboard emulator. I can't remember the name of it, but there is one that is specifically for those two games that I use. Unfortunately it's the NA versions only and I had the Euro version of Perfect Dark as a lad, but I still appreciate it. These games came out at the end of the 'Nintendo Hard' era and the difficulty/frailty of the main character combined with the awful stick aiming is a deal-breaker for me.

The second point has to due with how difficulty levels were handled - the Thief series is notorious for this. It's that phenomenon where higher difficulty has more objectives and shows more of the game, so if one wants to actually play the whole game one has to deal with brutal difficulty. I don't see why the devs wouldn't just include all of the objectives and sub-missions on lower difficulty levels and tone down the enemy health, accuracy and damage, or at the very least include the high-difficulty objectives as a bonus.

I've been foodling about with System Shock 1 Enhanced recently, and that game has four different difficulty variables. I wish that there had been more of that.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Thank you for playing Goldeneye 64. It, along with Perfect Dark 64 were my childhood

For me, PD definitely. I actually saw and enjoyed the film, but Goldeneye was the first effort with the flashy IP. PD refined and improved just about everything, but people don't care nearly as much about it.

Both games had pants controls, though. Typical for the N64.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

PizzaProwler posted:

Maybe I'm misreading this and you're playing along, but the joke of the post you're replying to is that they appended the "64" suffix to both games' titles when neither had it in the first place.

I completely missed the joke. I was just stating a preference. :)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Just tried to play Goldeneye on the Switch. Trying to aim with the analog stick is like trying to fire a bow with my feet.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

FoolyCharged posted:

Also, I will forever defend the klobb because you can grab two of them and run around yelling, "it's klobberin' time!"

I popped for this.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

nine-gear crow posted:

The World Is Not Enough is where things just start to degenerate into slop, and by the time you reach Die Another Day it's just irredeemable trash.

The World is Not Enough was the last one I saw, and I really liked it because a) I fancy Sophie Marceau and b) I liked what they did with Zukovsky

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

DMorbid posted:

The reticle is *really* sensitive on the Switch too, I couldn't hit anything with it. It's much more manageable on original hardware, and of course on the Xbox version as well.

Same. I couldn't aim at anything. I was asking myself 'Was this that sensitive on the 64 itself?' and I'm somewhat gratified to hear that I was not wrong.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Thanks for letting me know. Sad to think that the N64 version will probably be essentially unplayable forever - I don't see Nintendo addressing it. I don't have access to the XBox version (only XB I ever owned was the very first), but at least there's emulation.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Every time I hear the name Thunderball I immediatly hear it sung to the theme of that campy 70s (edit: Checked, it's from the 60s) American cartoon Underdog.

DMorbid posted:

I quite enjoy both of these levels on lower difficulties, but 00 Agent is a huge difficulty spike and makes these particular levels not very fun at all. Of course I knew this going in, but it was still surprising how badly I got my rear end kicked.

If anyone wants to play GoldenEye and/or Perfect Dark and feel like they have much more control and agency, there is a specific 1964 emulator already set up to run both with M&KB controls. It feels really good, but it only supports the NA version of the games. I wanted to play the EU version of Perfect Dark that I had as a lad.

My problem with a lot of Goldeneye is that there's too many places with enemy spam. Even if it's not a stealth game per se, a supposed secret agent game should be about methodical, precise takedowns. Those awkward controls combined with bad auto aim on 007 level and waves of enemies is a recipe for frustration.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Probably my least favourite level in the game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

DMorbid posted:

I think Control is everyone's least favorite level in the game. I was stuck in this level for weeks, maybe a month when I was a kid.

It's the ulimate example of what I said afew days ago about a game that's supposedly about a secret again but has you gunning down swarms of fuckers in a big open area. It's the antithesis of what a spy should be.

Akratic Method posted:

We just had way more time and patience when we were kids. Devote a whole weekend to obsessively trying to clear one level? Sure, it's better than homework.

These days I'd rather read a book in my big blue chair with my cats in my lap, then occasionally bitch about the controls of the game online.

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's really fascinating because Bond Invisible didn't present me with much difficulty at all. 30 or 40 tries maybe.

As for Invincible, I also puzzled over how it could be possible for a while before I realized that it only takes three remote mines to blow up the ten tanks, and strategic (and perfect) use of the other two is what makes it possible.

I figured that out, but I still couldn't do it. I didn't try that hard for cheats because they were essentially help for people who had proven that they didn't need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

They were the forerunners of cheevos.

That is a very good way to put it - I don't like achievements either.

FoolyCharged posted:

It's actually pretty accurate to bond tbh. World's worst spy, but anywhere he goes there's a trail of carnage, explosions, and the bodies of people M sent him after.

That's basically it. He's a lovely spy because if he were any good he would solve things in subtle and non-violent ways, but it makes for :airquote: good :airquote: films.