Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Thesaurus posted:

I also liked the part where 500 cops are shooting at three guys standing in the middle of the street. But deniro somehow fights them off literally single handedly while carrying his wounded friend to safety

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout worked about the same way.

Your split’s in the car outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Thesaurus posted:

Deniro and a random artist woman instantly fall for each other. This makes sense because she's "seen him in the store before"...?

I don't agree with your other complaints (maybe we watched different cuts?) but this one made my eyes roll back hard while watching the movie. Gee, who can resist a quiet, chubby, very private 51 year old in a bar, studying metallurgy

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah the deniro love interest part being really unbelievable is a valid criticism that many people have made. it doesnt bother me too much but i can see why people think it lame

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Maybe Pacino should stick to playing bad guys instead of cops. (Except for serpico, but that's because he's the enemy of the other cops). Reverse the rolls with deniro...

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It's mostly there to add stakes to McCauley's "drop everything in 30 seconds" mantra but it's not the most unrealistic thing in the world either.

I will admit in my most recent rewatch that all the 90s Divorced Dad Energy coming off the script hasn't aged very well.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 10, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

except that both robbers died on the scene, one killed himself after being shot a bunch of times and the other bled out on the street after being shot a bunch of times and the cops wouldnt let an ambulance come close. no one got away long enough to drive longingly past their ex's sting operation or have a one on one confrontation on the LAX tarmac

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

thathonkey posted:

yeah the deniro love interest part being really unbelievable is a valid criticism that many people have made. it doesnt bother me too much but i can see why people think it lame

Huh
It was not at all to me

?
The guy has charisma

Quiet bad guys, YUM
She was lonely. I thought it was well done

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

except that both robbers died on the scene, one killed himself after being shot a bunch of times and the other bled out on the street after being shot a bunch of times and the cops wouldnt let an ambulance come close. no one got away long enough to drive longingly past their ex's sting operation or have a one on one confrontation on the LAX tarmac

skill issue

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Laterite posted:

skill issue

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Thesaurus posted:

I regret that I watched every minute.

I see that nobody has addressed any of my observations. I guess I just have to trust that it's an excellent movie and then reason backwards from there? Hang it up, heatailures

I also liked the part where 500 cops are shooting at three guys standing in the middle of the street. But deniro somehow fights them off literally single handedly while carrying his wounded friend to safety

I guess it was all worth it for the realistic gun noises

Ah gotcha, you were folding laundry while talking to someone on your phone during the movie

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
In the movie you can also tell McCauley's crew have some sort of military experience or training. They're doing 'bounding overwatch' during the shootout - essentially an armed game of leapfrog where one element lays down covering fire while another moves and then they alternate. I believe their opening volley was also a 'violence of action' move to create psychological dominance and force the cops to establish a wide perimeter. All of this tracks with having Andy McNabb as a consultant on the film, and while it's never explicitly stated IIRC I think the implication is there that the crew drilled in preparation for scenarios like this and weren't simply getting lucky. You see this proficiency earlier in the movie too, at the drive-in shootout and indeed right off the drop at the truck heist.

Den of Thieves has the robbers demonstrate similar proficiency and a textbook bounding overwatch drill in the highway shootout, but it's almost too clean and them calling out "moving"/"shooting" kinda cheapens it.

Matter of fact maybe the most unbelievable shootouts are in The Town, where no effort is really made to show they're doing things 'by the book', yet they make it out mostly unscathed except when the one guy doesn't want to. That movie still rules though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i want to see a movie about that hosed up set of incidents someone linked way earlier in the thread, from belgium. bunch of robbers with clear military training assault several businesses including i think a grocery store and seem to outnumber or scare off the cops. but then the more you read about it, the more clear it becomes that the robbers are gendarmes (military police) themselves. but it wasnt really clear what the aim of the whole thing was and they didnt end up taking a lot of money or anything. i think there was some connection to operation gladio/"stay behind networks" and all that as well

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

i want to see a movie about that hosed up set of incidents someone linked way earlier in the thread, from belgium. bunch of robbers with clear military training assault several businesses including i think a grocery store and seem to outnumber or scare off the cops. but then the more you read about it, the more clear it becomes that the robbers are gendarmes (military police) themselves. but it wasnt really clear what the aim of the whole thing was and they didnt end up taking a lot of money or anything. i think there was some connection to operation gladio/"stay behind networks" and all that as well

did you mean the Pink Panther robberies, or something different?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If you want the movie that Michael Mann never directed or wrote then you want to watch To Live and Die in La. Its probably one of the great cops and criminals movie ever.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

The Brabant Killers

French Wikipedia provides some more details as well

:shrug: It kinda seems like some Belgium Gendarmes got absolutely tweaked out of their minds and went on a rampage

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

No seriously To Live and Die in La is amazing. Please watch it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

The Brabant Killers

:shrug: It kinda seems like some Belgium Gendarmes got absolutely tweaked out of their minds and went on a rampage

wait, there is a french wikipedia? How do they feel about wine?

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

The Brabant Killers

Oh man, that's pretty interesting. I thought OP was talking about Nokas, which was about a real life heist in Norway perpetrated by former military members (and the movie was directed by the guy who did the original Insomnia).

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

If you want the movie that Michael Mann never directed or wrote then you want to watch To Live and Die in La. Its probably one of the great cops and criminals movie ever.

Hollismason posted:

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Val had a beautiful wife

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Hollismason posted:

One of my favorite Friedkin films of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBPynHY8XnQ

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Yeah this rips and the less you know going in the better.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
To Live and Die in LA and Manhunter make a great double feature.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

I'm getting too old for this poo poo.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I watched it yesterday and wondered if Chance and other agent were drugged by the priest during their stakeout. Masters was aware of their surveillance, and wouldn't have showed up to kill Waxman without knowing he was safe.

It's never mentioned, but it seemed like it made sense.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The recurring theme of Chance being kind of poo poo at his job is great, there were so many moments where just a little bit of self reflection or double-checking would have saved his rear end.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Its pretty obvious he was reliant on his partner to reign him in and once his partner was gone then he was on his self destructive path.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

that was a good movie. didnt know daphne moon had that checkered of a past!

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I watched The Keep tonight on Pluto TV. This movie owns in the same way Ridley Scott's Legend owns. Both are scored by Tangerine Dream. Not a perfect movie by any stretch but I love the use of slow motion and the dreamlike tone. The stone edifice of The Keep itself is brutal and unnatural and the demon looks pretty cool early on when he's made of smoke, not so much later in the movie as he gains power and becomes a rubbery golem.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

to live and die in la has a really weird few shots at the end. chase's truck pulling up and parking somewhere, then after the credits there's a like jump-scare sound hit with a close-up of chase's face. what was up with those

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
gently caress I forgot I grabbed To Live and Die in LA, I was looking forward to seeing that / running it for the squad

also I've just upgraded disks in the plex, please continue recommending movies, this thread doesn't miss

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Taking Care of Business with James Belushi and Charles Grodin.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Cactus Ghost posted:

to live and die in la has a really weird few shots at the end. chase's truck pulling up and parking somewhere, then after the credits there's a like jump-scare sound hit with a close-up of chase's face. what was up with those

I, too, have always been puzzled by the meaning of the last shot in this film. Can the thread help?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

please continue recommending movies, this thread doesn't miss

yep i've picked up a half dozen bangers probably from this thread alone

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Rascar Capac posted:

I, too, have always been puzzled by the meaning of the last shot in this film. Can the thread help?

Vukovich has basically become Chance, at the end.

The end of the film is him pulling up at Ruthie’s place in Chance’s truck, and knocking on the door to tell her she’s now working as an informant for him, and she isn’t going to be leaving town like she planned.

That last shot is Ruthie looking at Vukovich but seeing Chance, and realizing her nightmare isn’t over.

A bit ham-handed, but probably better than the other ending they shot, where Chance is alive and the two of them have been banished by the Secret Service to some place in Alaska.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

gently caress I forgot I grabbed To Live and Die in LA, I was looking forward to seeing that / running it for the squad

also I've just upgraded disks in the plex, please continue recommending movies, this thread doesn't miss

i'm assuming most people itt have already seen it but Ronin fits in well here and is always good for a rewatch imo

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

MrMojok posted:

The end of the film is him pulling up at Ruthie’s place in Chance’s truck, and knocking on the door to tell her she’s now working as an informant for him, and she isn’t going to be leaving town like she planned.

That last shot is Ruthie looking at Vukovich but seeing Chance, and realizing her nightmare isn’t over.

A bit ham-handed, but probably better than the other ending they shot, where Chance is alive and the two of them have been banished by the Secret Service to some place in Alaska.

right, but why put the shot of him pulling up as the last shot

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

MrMojok posted:

Great, thanks!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Started reading the Heat 2 novel. Man, that robbery makes it really hard to get into it. I felt really sad and put it down for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Cactus Ghost posted:

right, but why put the shot of him pulling up as the last shot

Oh, I think it’s just one of those “Remember, some of our audience is dumb” things and they figured they’d better show Chance to ram home the idea that Vukovich is the new Chance, for those who didn’t get it?