Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is Mann not involved with the second season of Tokyo Vice? I watched that back to back with True Detective S1 in 2022 and it compared favourably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i watched to live and die in LA recently. loved it. the chase scene is absolutely intense and maybe one of the best ive ever seen in an older movie? i know it's like 10 years its senior but better than french connection imho

edit: also drat brutal gunshot violence in that movie. they dont make em like that anymore

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 27, 2024

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

just rewatched baby driver. god drat thats a good rear end heist movie

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
:crossarms: you're the driver?

:dumb: i'm baby

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Watching Miami Vice original series and its all vibes. Great synthy music, killer fashion, really well shot. Big mood.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

Watching Miami Vice original series and its all vibes. Great synthy music, killer fashion, really well shot. Big mood.

even Frank Zappa couldn't manage to kill the vibes of that show on his episode, and he was drat good at that

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Poohs Packin posted:

I was on a streak for awhile and lost momentum in the third season.

Was fun to spot the weird cameo combos in every other episode. Steve Buscemi and Willie Nelson, Gene Simmons and Luis Guzman, Phil Collins and Emo Phillips, Liam Neeson and Jeff Fahey, etc.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Sometimes people ask me if there are any obvious signs that Miami Vice was made in the 1980s, so I say "Have you ever seen the episode where Edward James Olmos takes out a KGB hitsquad with a katana, to fulfil the bushido code he learned while on assignment in Thailand(!?)"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rascar Capac posted:

Sometimes people ask me if there are any obvious signs that Miami Vice was made in the 1980s, so I say "Have you ever seen the episode where Edward James Olmos takes out a KGB hitsquad with a katana, to fulfil the bushido code he learned while on assignment in Thailand(!?)"
I've only watched maybe half of the first season so far but I think you can just point at any random episode

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Rascar Capac posted:

Sometimes people ask me if there are any obvious signs that Miami Vice was made in the 1980s

That’s like asking for any signs that fish live in the water

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

FishBowlRobot posted:

I was on a streak for awhile and lost momentum in the third season.

Was fun to spot the weird cameo combos in every other episode. Steve Buscemi and Willie Nelson, Gene Simmons and Luis Guzman, Phil Collins and Emo Phillips, Liam Neeson and Jeff Fahey, etc.

Oh man if you’re looking for 80s tv show big name cameos the Twilight Zone reboot is a jackpot. Bruce Willis, Frances McDormand, Joe Mantegna, Elliott Gould… plus an absurd number of future Star Trek actors including Tim Russ, Brent Spiner, and Terry Farrell.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Rascar Capac posted:

I was trying not to spoil that but yeah, poo poo gets wild whenever you learn more about his character, who starts off just intensely glaring at everyone no matter the context.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Yeah, Olmos is great: in an era when every cop's boss was this angry shouty guy, he decided to do everything with this quiet intensity.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Olmos legendarily hated Don Johnson, who was just a cool laid back dude. That really adds to their tension on screen.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

People probably thought Don Henly was a cool laid back guy in the 80s.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Poohs Packin posted:

People probably thought Don Henly was a cool laid back guy in the 80s.

quote:

1980 arrest
Henley called paramedics to his home on November 21, 1980, where a 16-year-old girl was found naked and claiming she had overdosed on quaaludes and cocaine. She was arrested for prostitution, while a 15-year-old girl found in the house was arrested for being under the influence of drugs. Henley was arrested and subsequently charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He pled no contest, was fined $2,500 and put on two years' probation. Lois Chiles, who was no longer in a relationship with Henley at the time of the incident, later said, "I was shocked to hear about it. He didn't have drugs around the house. It was an accident, I'm sure". The media attention from this incident was the primary inspiration for the song "Dirty Laundry".[82]

In February 2024, ahead of a criminal trial in New York over the alleged theft of Henley’s original handwritten lyrics for numerous Eagles hits,[88] Judge Curtis Farber sided with attorneys for the defendants who sought to introduce a letter that Henley wrote to a Santa Monica probation officer giving his account of the events leading up to Henley's arrest.[89] Contrary to Henley’s 1991 claim that he was hosting a farewell party for the Eagles’ road crew,[90] the letter states that Henley “didn’t want to see any of my friends” so he called a madam who sent a girl to his home. Henley said he and the girl had a few drinks and did some cocaine and later she had what appeared to him to be an epileptic seizure. Henley called the paramedics but the girl had recovered by the time they arrived. Henley said it was only when the paramedics asked the girl questions that he learned she was underage. A while later, officers from the Los Angeles Police Department's Sexually Exploited Child Unit arrived and placed Henley and the girl under arrest.[91] During the trial testimony, Henley described the incident which led to his 1980 arrest as "a poor decision which I regret to this day,” stating that he sought an "escape" due to depression which he developed from The Eagles recent breakup[92]

Damnit I liked that song.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Just a cooooooool dude in a loose mood

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

80's To Catch A Predator is like "Why don't u have a seat over here, let's do coke together for a bit"

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Gross. I thought I hated the Eagles enough before (for ripping off Jethro Tull).

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Gross. I thought I hated the Eagles enough before (for ripping off Jethro Tull).

wait what?

i like a couple of old jethro tull albums (aqualung and thick as a brick) and i hate the eagles but its because their music is boring af. never heard anything by them that sounds even remotely like jethro tull.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Earwicker posted:

wait what?

i like a couple of old jethro tull albums (aqualung and thick as a brick) and i hate the eagles but its because their music is boring af. never heard anything by them that sounds even remotely like jethro tull.

It's admittedly actually kind of a flimsy connection, but IIRC they used to tour with Tull and it's generally accepted that Hotel California rips off We Used To Know. You can't really claim a chord progression though, I can't remember if there was more to it than that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

It's admittedly actually kind of a flimsy connection, but IIRC they used to tour with Tull and it's generally accepted that Hotel California rips off We Used To Know. You can't really claim a chord progression though, I can't remember if there was more to it than that.

oh yeah, i can hear that, tho its also kind of a common/generic progression. by "ripping off jethro tull" i was imagining they'd hired a flute player or something lol

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I've never seen Tombstone in its entirety before.

Fixing that now.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
You're in for a treat. Its maybe the best cameo movie of all time (Charlton Fuckin Heston)and Val Kilmer should have easily won an oscar. It's extremely bad timing that it went up against Unforgiven in the awards chase

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
:lmao: Wyatt Earp marries into a rich family.

What a way to end the movie.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Great film, rewatched recently & lots of little stuff I forgot about like Bill Paxton being the most cheerful brother or Wyatt giving them a whole lotta chances before going vendetta & how the Cowboys weren’t a monolithic group. Also watched many movies before picking up on what a treasure Powers Boothe was.

Was that the last great Michael Biehn performance? Fantastic adversary for Doc.

Trying not to just list favorite scenes but Doc explaining pushing his pneumonia riddled body to exhaustion because Wyatt is his friend might win.

Vampire Panties posted:

You're in for a treat. It’s maybe the best cameo movie of all time (Charlton Fuckin Heston)

He was also a one scene delight in True Lies & Any Given Sunday. It was fascinating to hear not-conservative comedian & Planet of the Apes mega fan Dana Gould tell of meeting him when he was new in Hollywood & Heston was way nicer than he had to be to this nobody & gave him good advice about getting into the guild as soon as he could for the medical coverage & said he’d mail an autographed photo, which not only he remembered to do it arrived that same week

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 1, 2024

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I liked Biehn'spart in Planet Terror and that bit part in The Mandalorian was also fun.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Great film, rewatched recently & lots of little stuff I forgot about like Bill Paxton being the most cheerful brother or Wyatt giving them a whole lotta chances before going vendetta & how the Cowboys weren’t a monolithic group. Also watched many movies before picking up on what a treasure Powers Boothe was.

Was that the last great Michael Biehn performance? Fantastic adversary for Doc.

Trying not to just list favorite scenes but Doc explaining pushing his pneumonia riddled body to exhaustion because Wyatt is his friend might win.

Go on, skin that smoke wagon and see what happens :clint:

Every line of dialogue in Tombstone is a treasure

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Has great trivia too like with the faro card game how apparently it was notorious for being easy for dealers to rig so Wyatt probably did that to win the mine, & later when he’s trying to keep the peace with Curly, Bill Paxton is noticeably already starting to pay him out before the hand is finished.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Tombstone is great, the ending is kinda sappy typical 90s, but I love it because it's just two hours of cowboys being fucken HARSH at each other.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

tombstone is the best depiction of doc holliday hands down. kilmer absolutely friggin nailed his personality, humor, and worldview so goddamn well. nobody's ever going to top it

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
watched Top Secret! tonight and yeah Val Kilmer is entirely underrated, I feel like he was huge for a while but not really taken seriously as an actor, just a really handsome dude who can do a range

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Code Jockey posted:

watched Top Secret! tonight and yeah Val Kilmer is entirely underrated, I feel like he was huge for a while but not really taken seriously as an actor, just a really handsome dude who can do a range

he did a bunch of insanely lovely movies after Heat, and it locked him into a B player spot

The Salton Sea is intensely good but not really content for this thread

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I saw him chowing down, like absolutely going to town, on something 2 spots ahead of me in line while being an rear end in a top hat with a full mouth to the cashier, straight giving her the business, at the Cerrillos Whole Foods in Santa Fe post-weight-gain, pre-cancer one time.

It was like that copypasta but IRL and way, way before it ever showed up.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

theres a val kilmer copypasta

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

theres a val kilmer copypasta

no the copypasta where some rando celeb (it started as "i saw flying lotus") tries to skip out on their grocery tab while being an rear end in a top hat and making funny jokes at people and winking

i saw val kilmer do it irl at a whole foods in santa fe many years before that was even a thing

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Kilmer was infamous for being difficult to work with. I think one of the best documented cases was The Island of Dr. Moreau.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Also watched many movies before picking up on what a treasure Powers Boothe was.

What a glorious poo poo-heel with an undeniable screen presence. You gotta watch Extreme Prejudice if you haven't already.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Shumagorath posted:

Kilmer was infamous for being difficult to work with. I think one of the best documented cases was The Island of Dr. Moreau.

I beg everyone to watch that documentary about that movie. Stars intentionally sabotaging the movie for kicks, a former director placing curses on the production from the woods nearby, actors being held hostage by their contracts and threats of legal action, it’s got it all!

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

it’s very obvious to me that no one in entertainment has any idea why sometimes their stuff is popular/successful

every actor ever thinks they are the star of the universe and they can’t tell if they are at the top of their game or are floundering in a terrible project that’s failing

the people funding everything see it as a quick buck and it’s corruption/nepotism all the way down by design and mostly they are laundering money for tax reasons

every once in a while it all comes together and some amazing movie gets made and it’s literally magic and makes a billion dollars