Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

istewart posted:

I know I'm not the only one out there who thinks Clooney deserves a mulligan

Fun fact about Batman & Robin: Arnold Schwarzenegger got $25 million for his part and he's only actually on screen for 30 minutes. Dude was being paid almost $1 million per minute. Hollywood!!!

haljordan fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

istewart posted:

I know I'm not the only one out there who thinks Clooney deserves a mulligan
True, but medical insight into TBI has substantially improved since 1997.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

haljordan posted:

That movie inspired actual criminals to do the same exact poo poo in real life and it went even worse for the cops. And there were only two of them.

wikipedia posted:

Mătăsăreanu was incapacitated by officers three blocks away and subsequently bled to death before the arrival of paramedics more than an hour later.

they barely even killed them. kinda cheated here with a dirty delayed ambulance tactic

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Iirc the family of that dude filed a suit against the LAPD for cruelty/withholding lifesaving aid.

Wonder what ever happened to that

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Nuts and Gum posted:

What’s up with William Fichtner? He flies under the radar but kicks rear end in everything he does.

I was just thinking exactly this same thought. Remember that bizarre body snatcher tv show he was in, in like 2005? Invasion, where aliens land in the bayou or something and take over the town one at a time. That show was great and he was great in it.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 10, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

haljordan posted:

Fun fact about Batman & Robin: Arnold Schwarzenegger got $25 million for his part and he's only actually on screen for 30 minutes. Dude was being paid almost $1 million per minute. Hollywood!!!

He earned every penny with his performance

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Nuts and Gum posted:

What’s up with William Fichtner? He flies under the radar but kicks rear end in everything he does.

all-timer moment here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkdLWuCRe0c

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I had trouble with Heat because of the closeup shots of gross rear end Pacino making out with hot young women for extended periods of time.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Caesar Saladin posted:

I had trouble with Heat because of the closeup shots of gross rear end Pacino making out with hot young women for extended periods of time.

I’m just glad they reshot the ending. The original ended with them bonding over their love of Dunkin Donuts

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

haljordan posted:

Yeah Michael Mann insisting on using real locations and basically no soundstages is why it sounds so loving awesome. You almost never, ever see that kind of stuff nowadays.

That movie inspired actual criminals to do the same exact poo poo in real life and it went even worse for the cops. And there were only two of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

They started robbing armored cars long before the movie came out though. If anything the Norco Heist was probably more of a inspiration for the movie, where a group of survivalists tried to rob a bank for all of $20,000 and ended up in a running gun battle with most of the cops in Riverside and shot down a helicopter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XFZ9i2rssQ

And possibly the Miami shootout where the FBI bungled a stop on two bank robbers who kept fighting through insane levels of injury.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv8cByaVyNQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBGfKtuo2AM

quote:

McNeill returned fire with six shots from his revolver, hitting Matix with two rounds in the head and neck. Matix apparently was knocked unconscious by the hits and fired no more rounds.[b] McNeill was then shot in the hand and, due to his wound and blood in his revolver's chambers, could not reload.[12]

quote:

Platt chose a position by the passenger side front fender of the Cutlass. He fired a .357 Magnum revolver at agents Ronald Risner and Gilbert Orrantia, and was shot a fourth time when turning to fire at Hanlon, Dove, and Grogan. The bullet, fired by Orrantia's revolver, penetrated Platt's right forearm, fractured the radius bone and exited the forearm. This wound caused Platt to drop his revolver.[e] It is estimated that Platt was shot a fifth time shortly afterwards, this time by Risner. The bullet penetrated Platt's right upper arm, exited below the armpit and entered his torso, stopping below his shoulder blade. The wound was not serious.[f]

quote:

Grogan and Dove were kneeling alongside the driver's side of their car. Both were preoccupied with getting Dove's weapon working and did not detect that Platt was aggressively advancing upon them. Platt rounded the rear of their car and killed Grogan with a shot to the chest, shot Hanlon in the groin area, and then killed Dove with two shots to the head. Platt then entered the Grogan/Dove car in an apparent attempt to flee the scene.[g] As Platt entered Grogan and Dove's car, Mireles, able to use only one arm, fired the first of five rounds from his pump-action shotgun, wounding Platt in both feet.[12] At an unknown time, Matix had regained consciousness and he joined Platt in the car, entering via the passenger door. Mireles fired four more rounds at Platt and Matix, but hit neither.[h]

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Heat is quite possibly a perfect film.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

Heat is quite possibly a perfect film.

Last of the Mohicans is so loving good (Daniel Day-Lewis just walks into a movie and makes it great, I digress) but Heat, I think, takes the cake for Mann's directorial career.

Helps that he got to make it as a TV movie as a dry run first, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67GQrmY59rg

Waingro always dies because he's a loving rat and his death is remorseless

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 10, 2023

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

One of the coolest movies ever, ruined only slightly due to Sizemore being a huge weirdo

money making game
Feb 14, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

One of the coolest movies ever, ruined only slightly due to Sizemore being a huge weirdo

Cool it, Slick! Have a deleted scene of Tom being a psycho family man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gQmLJXoGw8

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

money making game posted:

Cool it, Slick! Have a deleted scene of Tom being a psycho family man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gQmLJXoGw8

Lol not only does that not make the character better, it actively makes him worse knowing his fate

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUy2Wx_r0_w

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFMtTF0hgBE

i buy it

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

I just saw Heat for the first time a few weeks ago and I love how I’m seeing Heat discussion everywhere, constantly.

It’s not a Baader-Meinhof thing, it’s just Heat is cool and people are still talking about it

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
heat never goes out of style

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

roomtwofifteen posted:

I just saw Heat for the first time a few weeks ago and I love how I’m seeing Heat discussion everywhere, constantly.

It’s not a Baader-Meinhof thing, it’s just Heat is cool and people are still talking about it

It really is a stellar movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Everyone needs to watch all of Mann's movies. The only turd is Black Hat, which I still sorta like. And watch the Miami Vice pilot "Brother's Keeper" while you're at it. He didn't direct it, but his fingerprints are alllll over it.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I remember being all, "wowe the sound quality is amazing!!!!" But now I'm like I don't want to listen to guns making noises.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There's a 4K version of the heist on YouTube, and the new colour grading makes it look like it's taking place in the Matrix. :wtc:

The mid-90s were a great time to see acclaimed actor Robert de Niro unleashing automatic weapons in heist movies. Really good ones!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

roomtwofifteen posted:

Its because the movie is largely about isolation and that's more relevant than ever.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Lmao.... Isolation? Please SMG enlighten us.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Hardawn posted:

Lmao.... Isolation? Please SMG enlighten us.

I dont know what SMG is. But sure:

The film is lonely. The characters are all isolated from each other and their relationships are falling apart because of it.

The two main characters are for lack of a better word "obsessed" with each other but only share a few minutes together.

LA is portrayed as a vast and impersonal sprawl.

Neil's house is blank and set against waves. It might as well be nowhere.

The love interest story arch is basically two people from completely incompatible backgrounds searching for connection and failing.

Edit: this isn't like, my interpretation. A simple google search yields multiple results from established critics discussing the films themes of lonliness, isolation, etc.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Poohs Packin posted:

The film is lonely. The characters are all isolated from each other and their relationships are falling apart because of it.

The two main characters are for lack of a better word "obsessed" with each other but only share a few minutes together.

The love interest story arch is basically two people from completely incompatible backgrounds searching for connection and failing.

Edit: this isn't like, my interpretation. A simple google search yields multiple results from established critics discussing the films themes of lonliness, isolation, etc.

Plus that whole scene with Pacino's wife chewing him out, her whole speech is pretty on topic

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Lol, pretty sure movies don't have themes, guy.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

yeah and he also continues the theme in Collateral. which is just as good as Heat imo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

"Pacific" by Alex Colville (1967)

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

haljordan posted:

Let's be real here; if a studio wanted me to yell ice-puns for all 30 of those minutes AND asked me how much I wanted for it you better believe I'd start high on my price.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Poohs Packin posted:

It's obvious through the film that Neil is lonely, and purposefully so. Err, excuse me "alone, not lonely". Anyway, Eady is really in the same situation: she doesn't really have friends. Is isolated, career just kinda not going anywhere.

Neil's downfall was pretty inevitable, and the plot demanded it. He stuck to loyalty to his crew (going for one last job) and his credo (drop everything if the heat comes around the corner). He could have refused his closest friend (Chris Shiherlis) and have been done. He absolutely could have escaped with Eady if he had just gone with her in the car.

Vincent, having killed Neil, is none for the better: he's going through the motions of a recently detonated marriage and will still be stuck as the hunter.

Shiherlis survives but can no likely no longer see Charlene or his son again. He bears the bigger cost than Neil: he lives, but can never see his family again. He's forced to live by Neil's credo.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 13, 2023

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

It's a good scene but the clip ends before they kiss

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Mister Speaker posted:

Henry Rollins as Fichtner's goon is pretty hilarious. I bet he hated shooting the scene where Pacino tosses him around like a ragdoll.

It was actually the complete opposite, he was beyond geeked to be working with Pacino and had a pretty good (and wild) time shooting the scenes with him:

quote:

“Michael Mann said, ‘Your character has scenes with Al Pacino, but if Al doesn’t like you, you can’t be in the movie. So we’re going to have lunch to see if he likes you,'” Mann explained. “I’m like, ‘Uh? When?’ He goes, ‘We’re leaving now.’ We walked out with my jaw on the floor and went to some high-class Italian restaurant in Beverly Hills.”

“At the end of the lunch, he goes, ‘Michael, I like him,'” Rollins continued, “He was hilarious to be around. There’s one scene where I’m handcuffed, so Al would sit on a couch and keep me company while I was being unlocked. ‘Someone give me a magic marker. I’m gonna draw a moustache on Henry.’ When you’re getting razzed by Al Pacino, how bad is your day?”

In another interview, he talked about how he had to convince Pacino to really hit him in order to make the beating look real (and how Pacino gave him more than he was expecting):

quote:

Now, Al Pacino and I [take over the scene], recovering on rubberized glass bits. Al has to grab me, call me a bunch of names and slap me around. He’s a nice man, he doesn’t want to hurt me. He slaps me a little [in perfect Pacino inflection]: “You bastard!” He slaps me and I say [off camera], “Al, sir, we really have to sell this. So you should really haul off and whack me.” [as Pacino] “I don’t want to hurt you.” I said, “Look at this face. What could you possibly do to it that wasn’t done by some guy in San Diego who had five rings on his hand.” He goes, “OK.” Al invests in the moment. So the next take he grabs me by my hair so hard I almost started crying and he hauls off and whacks me across the face to where I could feel it in my toes. “You bastard, you! (whack, whack!)” My face went numb. Thankfully, after a few takes of that [facetiously], we got it! It’s Michael Mann, it’s a lot of takes. Too bad they used one of the earlier takes.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc

Just rewatched it, the bit at the end when Pacino takes Sizemore down actually got me a little because you see that Pacino is so reckless he will risk shooting that girl to take out the robber, and his expression reflects that.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

this sounds like a good movie why didn't i hear of it until now

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

buffalo bill and the allstate guy gettin got pretty much immediately

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Allstate guy was got before he ever got got

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

erosion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc

Just rewatched it, the bit at the end when Pacino takes Sizemore down actually got me a little because you see that Pacino is so reckless he will risk shooting that girl to take out the robber, and his expression reflects that.
Thats like an impossible shot right? I mean realistically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Spinz posted:

Thats like an impossible shot right? I mean realistically

Not if you're a big dick playa
:poolgirl: