Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
especially jacked up on adrenaline it's probably close to impossible unless youre like the worlds best marksman and also very lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I'm just saying this is no castaway

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
wilson, no

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Watched this tonight because of the thread, it does indeed own.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

manero posted:

Watched this tonight because of the thread, it does indeed own.

Now watch Thief, Collateral and Last of the Mohicans

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

drat this dude its the R key like no other

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

Watch Black Moon Rising, you problly won't tho if you a bitch

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Don't sleep on The Insider either.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

erosion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc

Just rewatched it, the bit at the end when Pacino takes Sizemore down actually got me a little because you see that Pacino is so reckless he will risk shooting that girl to take out the robber, and his expression reflects that.

Hmm maybe, my takeaway was this gang was fine with letting off hundred of rounds in a city with no regard for human life & had executed the armored car guards, could reasonably assume the girl’s survival would be in doubt if Sizemore were allowed to leave. Pacino also knew there were many wounded cops on the scene and probably wanted to end it as soon as possible so EMTs could move in.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Hmm maybe, my takeaway was this gang was fine with letting off hundred of rounds in a city with no regard for human life & had executed the armored car guards, could reasonably assume the girl’s survival would be in doubt if Sizemore were allowed to leave. Pacino also knew there were many wounded cops on the scene and probably wanted to end it as soon as possible so EMTs could move in.

Yeah I'll buy that. Maybe he was pleasantly surprised to get the clean kill.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Newb probably just had an aimbot installed.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Poohs Packin posted:

Heat is quite possibly a perfect film.
I always thought it was a little too long but if you asked me what I would cut I couldn't give you an answer.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

unzin posted:

Watch Black Moon Rising, you problly won't tho if you a bitch

MrQwerty posted:

Handsome Ralph posted:

Don't sleep on The Insider either.

how can everybody forget Manhunter? its the better Red Dragon.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah Manhunter is sweet too

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

down n out posted:

I got my first noise complaint watching Heat in a small apartment with newly bought surround sound.
Interesting thing about the audio during that gunfight: During filming there were microphones all around the area getting the noises of the blanks being fired so that in Post they could time the foley gunshot sounds with the visual flashes of the blanks being fired. Michael Mann listened to the foley work and said "This sounds nothing like how it was on set. It sounds artificial" so then they just used the sounds of the blanks from the original footage.

See the thing is when they filmed it, all of the roads around downtown LA were cut off from regular traffic so it was relatively quiet, and the reports of the blanks echoed in that concrete canyon in a very ominous way. Mann heard the original while filming, and then heard the foley and was "no, that's not as visceral as it was IRL. Keep the original audio"

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

CannonFodder posted:

Interesting thing about the audio during that gunfight: During filming there were microphones all around the area getting the noises of the blanks being fired so that in Post they could time the foley gunshot sounds with the visual flashes of the blanks being fired. Michael Mann listened to the foley work and said "This sounds nothing like how it was on set. It sounds artificial" so then they just used the sounds of the blanks from the original footage.

See the thing is when they filmed it, all of the roads around downtown LA were cut off from regular traffic so it was relatively quiet, and the reports of the blanks echoed in that concrete canyon in a very ominous way. Mann heard the original while filming, and then heard the foley and was "no, that's not as visceral as it was IRL. Keep the original audio"

It was the same thing for the movie "Open Range", except it was the reverberation off the cow poo poo and spittoon can that set it apart

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
One of the best "little" scenes in the movie is Neil staring up at the nightvision camera Pacino's crew is using in the metal depository sting as if he knows it there, it looks like he's got dead eyes and that whole scene is great.

WE WALK

Earwicker posted:

yeah and he also continues the theme in Collateral. which is just as good as Heat imo

yo homie

is that my briefcase?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

yea he even calls the crew out for being ruthless killers, saying as soon as the first armored car robbery crime-level evolved to a murder beef for the whole crew they did not hesitate to kill the witnesses

Tumble fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 14, 2023

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hardawn posted:

It was the same thing for the movie "Open Range", except it was the reverberation off the cow poo poo and spittoon can that set it apart
Setting up a mic to catch the proper in camera/mic "splut" and "p-TING" is a science.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

my aunt dated waingro when they were in highschool

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I'm "watching" Heat for the first time now. Well, with about a twentieth of my attention. I admit Crime (fiction) isn't one of my favorite genres, though I've occasionally enjoyed some offbeat English & Australian crime films.

I can see how the movie would strongly resonate with many U.S. citizens, since it's centered round both the primary American Dream (chasing large amounts of money), and also their other, highly popular, dream of shooting a bunch of people for no good reason.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BigBadSteve posted:

I'm "watching" Heat for the first time now. Well, with about a twentieth of my attention. I admit Crime (fiction) isn't one of my favorite genres, though I've occasionally enjoyed some offbeat English & Australian crime films.

I can see how the movie would strongly resonate with many U.S. citizens, since it's centered round both the primary American Dream (chasing large amounts of money), and also their other, highly popular, dream of shooting a bunch of people for no good reason.

Yeah that's about how much I'd expect you to get out of that movie

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

Yeah that's about how much I'd expect you to get out of that movie

I guess you could shoot me to teach me a lesson.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

I guess you could shoot me to teach me a lesson.

God drat, no wonder you don't understand the movie.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

God drat, no wonder you don't understand the movie.

Explain to me what I'm missing then, and berate me in detail for my wicked ways so I can improve them.

Edit: Killed extraneous pronoun.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 14, 2023

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Spinz posted:

Thats like an impossible shot right? I mean realistically

Mechanically a good rifle + ammo can reliably put a round within a one inch circle at hundred yards. It’s hard to tell in the scene but they are probably standing a lot closer to each other than that. A standing shot like that is not easy but not impossible. Though I’d think an experienced rifleman would find something to rest the rifle on to stabilize the shot and improve precision.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Lol, wut?

“96% of soldiers won’t be able to reload their weapons as well as….. this actor in a scripted movie scene in no actual risk or pressure with as many do overs as he wants”

No fucken poo poo genius.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
lol, gun dorks are a special breed

https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Heat

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lol

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

John DiFool posted:

Mechanically a good rifle + ammo can reliably put a round within a one inch circle at hundred yards. It’s hard to tell in the scene but they are probably standing a lot closer to each other than that. A standing shot like that is not easy but not impossible. Though I’d think an experienced rifleman would find something to rest the rifle on to stabilize the shot and improve precision.

A scrawny annoying marine once got in my face and told me 99% of civilians could not hit a standing person from ten feet away with a pistol. I've never fired a pistol before. I bet I could do it.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Well 31% of Americans have never fired any type of gun said some poll I just looked up

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I really liked the book, but Al Pacino ruined it for me by suggesting that Timothée Chalamet should play a young version of him and I couldn't stop cracking up imagining Timmy as a grizzled Chicago detective

Timmy all jacked up on amphetamines using a shotgun to ambush home invaders might be hilarious to see on film though

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
It's literally all about getting down fundamentals and then tedious amounts of practice. I never touched a firearm until I joined the military, then could barely shoot for beans until I took a 2-week tactical shooting course and did drills for months after that. At the height of my proficiency I could reliably land hits on a man-sized target at 25+ yards while moving, which was pretty cool.

And then you lose it all when you transition out because you're a normal person who doesn't need to maintain muscle memory of changing a rifle mag in under 2 seconds

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

ChickenHeart posted:

It's literally all about getting down fundamentals and then tedious amounts of practice. I never touched a firearm until I joined the military, then could barely shoot for beans until I took a 2-week tactical shooting course and did drills for months after that. At the height of my proficiency I could reliably land hits on a man-sized target at 25+ yards while moving, which was pretty cool.

And then you lose it all when you transition out because you're a normal person who doesn't need to maintain muscle memory of changing a rifle mag in under 2 seconds

The amount of time I have spent doing dry fire and just weapon manipulations to get to a point where I am merely "ok" is insane. It's probably close to a 100 hours so far

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Takes 10,000 hours to become a master

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

also one of the only movies to feature the Steyr TMP

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Prettz posted:

also one of the only movies to feature the Steyr TMP

you mean the really weak and bad weapon from counter-strike?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Bad Purchase posted:

you mean the really weak and bad weapon from counter-strike?
No I mean the badass smackdown gun from original counter-strike

edit: I meant beta CS. Heat was one of the main inspirations for CS

Prettz fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 14, 2023

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I like when Melissa McCarthy has to put the knife back in Sandra Bullock’s leg.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

credburn posted:

A scrawny annoying marine once got in my face and told me 99% of civilians could not hit a standing person from ten feet away with a pistol. I've never fired a pistol before. I bet I could do it.

It’s surprisingly difficult to shoot a hand gun accurately. I bet it’s true if the person has never fired a weapon before and was under pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MrQwerty posted:

Yeah Manhunter is sweet too

Manhunter is in my...top 5 movies. I love it so much. I could talk about it all day.