Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

:hmmyes:

I saw The Killer in an actual theatre last night. It's as if you took Frank and Neil's life plans, put them out of order, and didn't spend any time telling your actor how to clear a house. The logistical elements are all there, but Fassbender does way too much one-handed and moves all wrong. His hand-to-hand fighting is much better and the overall acting is top-notch. It's got more dark comedic elements than any of Mann's work, and Fincher / Reznor and Ross never make a bad movie, but it's not a great movie.

Also if you think two Chris Cornell songs are too much, get ready to overdose on The Smiths.

He literally hops around like a chimpanzee in a squat holding his gun one-handed while waving his other hand around and it's hilarious. Like the absolute worst "hold a gun" stance I've ever seen in a movie.

I watched that movie across 3 days because the character's narration is so bad and cliche I kept turning it off.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

When is this I have GOT to see it

It's the part where he goes to the safehouse and finds out it got broken into. Chapter 2 I think?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay I just re-watched that part (Starts at 32:00 roughly) and it's not quite as bad as I remember, he's not waving his other arm around it just hangs limply at his side. It's still bad though. It still gives me "Chimpanzee holding a gun" vibes.

e: You can see some of it at around 47 seconds in the trailer

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 15, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Brad Pitt can't top his character in Bullet Train so he should be done with playing killers in movies :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's like watching someone trying really hard to do a Guy Ritchie movie. Some of the characters are fun (especially Brad Pitt) and it's pretty visually stylish but it's not a great movie or plot by any means. It's worth watching for free in the comfort of your own home on Netflix but not worth going out to see in a theater IMO

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I watched through the Mission Impossible movies recently and it was funny seeing it go from that grounded usenet take (except there were weird animations playing whenever a message was sent) to just completely nonsensical stuff like a Minority Report hologram computer built into the windshield of a car a couple movies later

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

MI2 was my favorite because it leans so goddamn hard into John Woo cheese factor and is completely unashamed of what it is. A bunch of pointless somersault jumpkicks and doves flying everywhere and impossible shooting-while-diving scenes and way too many motorcycles. It was great. 3 was a terrible JJ Abrams flick that completely threw away the plot of 2 while having nothing of note going for it besides PSH, 4 was a definite step up from 3 but was missing all the corny cheese factor that made 1&2 good, then 5+ are Generic Media Product squeezed out of a tube by giant Chinese media conglomerates

edit to clarify: There's no way I could call MI2 a good movie, but it's my favorite MI movie. And 4-7 are all entertaining fun movies but they're just Generic Unbranded Big-Budget Action Media

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 4, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have to hand it to Ving Rhames for being the only non-Cruise to survive 7 Mission Impossibles

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

limp_cheese posted:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Den of Thieves. Its for all intents and purposes a modern day Heat. Not AS good as Heat but still a good movie none the less.

I tried watching this last night and I couldn't get over the Divorced Chud Dad Who Doesn't See Anything Wrong With His Behavior And Totally Owns His Wife's Friends For Making Her Divorce Him Mary-Sue (DCDWDSAWWHBATOHWFFMHDHMS) played by Gerard Butler so I turned it off :smith:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been going through several of the movies mentioned ITT and so far the best is Collateral :hai:

I never watched it in the past because I mixed it up with the scharzenegger movie Collateral Damage and thought I had already seen it

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I finished my watchthrough of all the mission impossible movies and IMO they got steadily worse as they went on. The latest one was just terrible. I can see why they did bigger box office numbers but in particular #4-7 felt generic as hell and every single one of them (1-7) has the same schtick/conceit of "literally everyone backstabs each other constantly but it was all part of the plan and everything plays out perfectly", 4-7 feel like watered down Mass Media products because they are (that's when Tencent started backing them lmao).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Still occasionally chuckling to myself about how the antagonist in #7 is an AI that got sick of working for people and became sentient, is named "The Entity" like it's some kind of space alien, and has a superpower that is "Ethan Hunt but even better" because they spent 6 movies building up the fact that Ethan Hunt is so good at predicting double crosses and working them into his plan that only an AI with a perfect ability to predict the future could do better.

But yeah the actual action scenes are solid throughout all the movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I hope it's called Heat 2: Hot