Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

erosion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc

Just rewatched it, the bit at the end when Pacino takes Sizemore down actually got me a little because you see that Pacino is so reckless he will risk shooting that girl to take out the robber, and his expression reflects that.

Hmm maybe, my takeaway was this gang was fine with letting off hundred of rounds in a city with no regard for human life & had executed the armored car guards, could reasonably assume the girl’s survival would be in doubt if Sizemore were allowed to leave. Pacino also knew there were many wounded cops on the scene and probably wanted to end it as soon as possible so EMTs could move in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

haljordan posted:

Ricky Jay was great in that one (as usual) and I always loved Delroy Lindo's performance.

Recently watched House of Games, also directed by David Mamet with a Ricky Jay appearance. Enjoyed it quite a bit, had a very young William H. Macy appearance.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

haljordan posted:

Brando kept calling Frank Oz "Miss Piggy" throughout filming, such a colossal rear end in a top hat lol. Also I saw "Island of Dr. Moreau" in the theater, someone owes me money.

Lol it was interesting to learn when Oz was involved in making a magic stage show and gave an interview, it was noted he always have to have personal security or crazed Star Wars fans make his life hellish.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Rewatched Collateral the other day, still holds up great with peak Foxx & Cruise. It’s great on rewatches to pick up on how Cruise’s hitman is talented but makes a lot of mistakes like on the first hit where he has the element of surprise, botches it so body goes out the window & Foxx is alerted.

It was fascinating too to realize Cruise’s plan kinda makes sense and there is mention it worked in another city, but how weird it is that he sticks to riding in the cab even after Foxx knows what is going on, and they address that in how Cruise has problems adapting to his detriment. Like how going face to face with the jazz club owner did work but that’s a stupid plan for the Korean nightclub & while it works he comes super close to being killed.

One minor quibble is the ending doesn’t quite keep up the atmosphere & energy. They’re out of the cab & mostly running around an empty building not talking to each other, not a dealbreaker & but Jada Pinkett Smith doesn’t have much to do than be the damsel in distress

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Tumble posted:

It's why he gets killed by Foxx at the end: Cruise's muscle-memory is to shoot the middle of the targets torso and his shots hit the middle of the subway door, while Foxx shoots kinda wild and manages to hit him.

100% that owned

Cactus Ghost posted:

hey homie. is that my briefcase?

One of the finest one scene jerks in cinema. It’s interesting on rewatch how at first Vincent bothering to retrieve Max’s wallet seems like a tiny charming thing to do to calm down Max & build trust, but also when Max is found dead Vincent would want for it to be easy to identify him & if the cops wonder why a super assassin lost his wallet to muggers it could hurt the plan.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Dark City. Unlike the theatrical cut it doesn’t just blurt out the entire loving plot in the first 10 seconds

Oh yeah I was lucky to see that cold & enjoyed it, didn’t know I’d picked the right version until looking up info afterwards. It wasn’t a version thing but had similar experience with Matrix, lucky enough to know nothing about the plot other than hearing it was good so picked it up at Blockbuster.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

:hmmyes:

:allears: I wanna hear about how you like season 2 of True Detective

Or S3 of Fargo, 1 & 2 were great but 3 felt like a faceplant although 4 was worse, but at least had the covid impact on production excuse.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Watched Thief from thread’s recommendation (it’s on Paramount+), that was excellent & Caan’s character was fascinating. I liked how he was consistently thuggish & aggressive while capable of being methodical & professional on jobs, but he didn’t know when to turn it off (he may not even been capable of doing so) in situations where it may not be the best idea, comically at the adoption office, but then threatening a crime boss & banishing his wife could probably have been approached differently.

Interesting to see James Belushi in a non-wacky role & he was fine, did have a question about the ending. why did Caan blow up his house & businesses? Was it to symbolize he was abandoning his dreams to be more than his mentor & resigning himself to always being a thief with no connections? I was confused as Leo didn’t want those places or even mention them & Caan wasn’t faking his family’s deaths, felt like an unnecessary act & likely to injure himself before a risky one man attack.

I liked when he was storming Leo’s house and was spotted by his wife, who looks scared but has been probably expecting such a thing so she just turns back to the tv and lives.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Saganlives posted:

Regarding the ending, I believe that thematically Frank is paying the price of vengeance up front. In any other movie Frank gets his revenge but dies in the act. But because he already self destructed and took from himself everything Leo could take he is able to escape with his life in the end. Narratively speaking I think Frank knows killing Leo, even if he lives afterwards, puts his life in even more danger with the mob. His wife and child are also put in danger and so he banished them to protect them. But ultimately I think Frank comes to the realization that people like him can't have a normal life, partially because of his profession and partially because he recognizes the animal in himself and knows that the stable life he always wanted was impossible and selfish.

Ah well summarized that makes sense.

Was also thinking how Frank fits with other Mann characters like De Niro in Heat & Cruise in Collateral, subverting the idea of a glamorous fun crime life & shows how the violence & paranoia takes a toll & wrecks their personal relationships & they all have strong senses of loneliness.

Frank was especially interesting as how Caan did great showing how his lack of education & tact hurt his ability to function in non-crime environments. Like with the social worker he was definitely at a disadvantage because of his prison time but he handles that clumsily & treats it like a joke, rather than having been upfront about it so it wasn’t a surprise & to combine it with his current situation of being a business owner with a house & wife who (appears to) be a stable person. One of his most persuasive arguments for wanting to adopt, having been in the system himself, is lost as he’s combining it with a bribe attempt, and his willingness to take an older child of any race is lost as his tone makes it seem like a used car deal.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

as much as i like Michael Fassbender, he was not the right lead for that movie. I read somewhere that Brad Pitt was originally the lead but dropped out because of the violence or something? :shrug:

also the character is a 100% false narrator, and the droning dialogue about being the best and so calculated is complete bullshit - everyone in the movie sucks at their job. Fassbender missing the shot in the opening is a pretty big tell I dunno if its the editing or what, but the movie plays that straight and it just gets lost. Also IMO there's some weird commentary about the gig economy and they're all just capitalist cogs phoning it in for a paycheck, but it feels like its another idea that was lost on the cutting room floor

Take Tilda Swinton's arc she was obviously well known at that restaurant, and she was armed the entire time. There's literally a hundred different things she could've done differently, but she wanted the ~cHaLlEnGe~ of turning the tables on My Dinner With Michael.

Yeah overall I liked it ok but felt like they could have done a lot more considering the actors & director. Like you said having the killer miss at the start could have been expanded on and been more of an ongoing theme, but it felt inconsistent. Like how his island estate, storage containers, and fake ids always seem to be in good order. Would have been more interesting if he had unresolved issues with his estate like there are tourist boats cruising by because he sited it poorly, if he shows up at one of his storage boxes & sees the contents being sold because he screwed up autopay, and if forgetting about Brexit messes up a visit to the UK if he had the wrong ID.

I know Barry already exists and covered a lot of that ground but it could have been more subtle like in Pulp Fiction when it’s fun to realize despite being cool & likable, Vincent and Jules (especially Vincent) are terrible at their jobs & cause their own problems, like pointing a gun at an ally in a car for no reason or antagonizing the Wolf out of pride.

For the Killer also seemed weird it used the girlfriend as a lazy plot device to motivate revenge after she’s harmed, & she has zero characterization or anything to do otherwise. Deadpool 2 also had that problem, I know they gotta motivate the lead character but c’mon try harder.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Oh yeah Hell or High Water owned, and got me to look up more Ben Foster movies. The Messenger is outstanding (especially the Buscemi scene) & Leave No Trace should have gotten Oscars.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

FishBowlRobot posted:

I was on a streak for awhile and lost momentum in the third season.

Was fun to spot the weird cameo combos in every other episode. Steve Buscemi and Willie Nelson, Gene Simmons and Luis Guzman, Phil Collins and Emo Phillips, Liam Neeson and Jeff Fahey, etc.

Oh man if you’re looking for 80s tv show big name cameos the Twilight Zone reboot is a jackpot. Bruce Willis, Frances McDormand, Joe Mantegna, Elliott Gould… plus an absurd number of future Star Trek actors including Tim Russ, Brent Spiner, and Terry Farrell.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Great film, rewatched recently & lots of little stuff I forgot about like Bill Paxton being the most cheerful brother or Wyatt giving them a whole lotta chances before going vendetta & how the Cowboys weren’t a monolithic group. Also watched many movies before picking up on what a treasure Powers Boothe was.

Was that the last great Michael Biehn performance? Fantastic adversary for Doc.

Trying not to just list favorite scenes but Doc explaining pushing his pneumonia riddled body to exhaustion because Wyatt is his friend might win.

Vampire Panties posted:

You're in for a treat. It’s maybe the best cameo movie of all time (Charlton Fuckin Heston)

He was also a one scene delight in True Lies & Any Given Sunday. It was fascinating to hear not-conservative comedian & Planet of the Apes mega fan Dana Gould tell of meeting him when he was new in Hollywood & Heston was way nicer than he had to be to this nobody & gave him good advice about getting into the guild as soon as he could for the medical coverage & said he’d mail an autographed photo, which not only he remembered to do it arrived that same week

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 1, 2024

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Has great trivia too like with the faro card game how apparently it was notorious for being easy for dealers to rig so Wyatt probably did that to win the mine, & later when he’s trying to keep the peace with Curly, Bill Paxton is noticeably already starting to pay him out before the hand is finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

ynohtna posted:

What a glorious poo poo-heel with an undeniable screen presence. You gotta watch Extreme Prejudice if you haven't already.

Ooh haven’t heard of it, I did like his presence in Red Dawn. His explanation of the backstory is 99% of why the premise gets a hmm maybe? instead of being total silliness.