Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently I've never seen The Last of the Mohicans so I fixed that yesterday. Very good but not my favorite of Mann's probably just to the genre/subject matter. I did lol at this part though

Bip Roberts posted:

I watched face off last night and god drat do they shoot a lot of cops in that movie, just fist pump after fist pump watching

Face/Off loving rules it should be illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Remulak posted:

Miami Vice was an early production based on early, kinda limited and crappy digital cameras. I was in that industry then, and the blowouts at the high end and pixel noise in the blacks were, I thought it was limited and you needed to work around these problems (not that I'm a motion picture cinematographer, this was what I heard FROM cinematographers).

BUT because Mann and Beebe are goddamn genius he leaned into it, and a lot of the distinctive look and kinda dreamlike feel that makes me LOVE that movie. it just looks and feels cool, and unique. it's also a time capsule of the time people would futz with their cameras to get the right 'look' rather than just capturing flat and fixing it later. IMO this leads to that flat Marvel look because after looking at those images throughout production and post, it just looks right, despite being (imo) boring and limited.

It's a just watch for the vibes movie, the same way that something like Jackie Brown is a just watch for a character hang movie.

Kinda the opposite of Collateral, which while also shot early digital had impeccable, clinically perfect lighting (except for sky blowouts) that made it look really photographic.
Ooh reminds me that I still have to watch Miami Vice, both the TV show and movie since I still haven't seen them.

Also don't remember watching Thief, I guess one more thing to check out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

distortion park posted:

you can always tell what Mann's fetish of the moment was in his films. in miami vice it's fast boats with big engines going fast (also private jets). in Thief it's high performance metal working equipment

Well can you blame him

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shumagorath posted:

:hmmyes:

I saw The Killer in an actual theatre last night. It's as if you took Frank and Neil's life plans, put them out of order, and didn't spend any time telling your actor how to clear a house. The logistical elements are all there, but Fassbender does way too much one-handed and moves all wrong. His hand-to-hand fighting is much better and the overall acting is top-notch. It's got more dark comedic elements than any of Mann's work, and Fincher / Reznor and Ross never make a bad movie, but it's not a great movie.

Also if you think two Chris Cornell songs are too much, get ready to overdose on The Smiths.
Watched that a few days ago and din't love it either but it is pretty good.

I think Fassbender's character is just supposed to be not as good at killing as he thinks he is.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

thathonkey posted:

Last of the Mohicans also did not age nearly as well as many of his other movies (even older ones) imho. i saw it for the first time last year or maybe the year before though so maybe other people feel differently
I saw it for the first time recently and didn't really love it. I thought it was well executed for what it was but I just didn't get into this sort of film.

Also for everyone enjoying Heat (i.e., everybody), check out L.A. Takedown. It's the same movie made for TV with appropriate budget, production values, acting, etc. It's a very fun exercise to compare and contrast them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

deep dish peat moss posted:

MI2 was my favorite because it leans so goddamn hard into John Woo cheese factor and is completely unashamed of what it is. A bunch of pointless somersault jumpkicks and doves flying everywhere and impossible shooting-while-diving scenes and way too many motorcycles. It was great. 3 was a terrible JJ Abrams flick that completely threw away the plot of 2 while having nothing of note going for it besides PSH, 4 was a definite step up from 3 but was missing all the corny cheese factor that made 1&2 good, then 5+ are Generic Media Product squeezed out of a tube by giant Chinese media conglomerates

edit to clarify: There's no way I could call MI2 a good movie, but it's my favorite MI movie. And 4-7 are all entertaining fun movies but they're just Generic Unbranded Big-Budget Action Media

MI:2 upsets me because it's not a very good John Woo movie. The cliches are there but otherwise it just doesn't work as well as Hard Boiled or something.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

No seriously To Live and Die in La is amazing. Please watch it.

I'm getting too old for this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rascar Capac posted:

Sometimes people ask me if there are any obvious signs that Miami Vice was made in the 1980s, so I say "Have you ever seen the episode where Edward James Olmos takes out a KGB hitsquad with a katana, to fulfil the bushido code he learned while on assignment in Thailand(!?)"
I've only watched maybe half of the first season so far but I think you can just point at any random episode