Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

haljordan posted:

That movie inspired actual criminals to do the same exact poo poo in real life and it went even worse for the cops. And there were only two of them.

wikipedia posted:

Mătăsăreanu was incapacitated by officers three blocks away and subsequently bled to death before the arrival of paramedics more than an hour later.

they barely even killed them. kinda cheated here with a dirty delayed ambulance tactic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
heat never goes out of style

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
especially jacked up on adrenaline it's probably close to impossible unless youre like the worlds best marksman and also very lucky

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Earwicker posted:

he was the same age filming this movie as i am now, and i'm not in terrible shape but if i ate it on a chair like that there is no loving way i'd be able to recover instantly like he did. i'd be on the ground for like the next ten minutes

id be able to recover instantly in the moment but then unable to get out of bed for the next 7 days

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
not bad but i think my favorite scene is actually the aborted precious metals heist. definitely toss that into your next watch its pretty short

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
heres my mann top 5 ranking,

heat
thief
manhunter
collateral
last of the mohicans

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i cant say i enjoyed the movie a ton overall, it was fine, but robert pattinson as batman really worked for me and im looking forward to him doing more of the role

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
robert pattinson as batman was the only good part about that movie

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ive been watching heist movies and while good time is perhaps not a traditional heist movie i think it still warrants inclusion so adding it to the list.

most recently watched something called "logan lucky" a pretty mid sodherbergh thing. had none of the charm of oceans 11. would not recommend

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
they should make heat II instead

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Slugworth posted:

Remake Heat, but every character is a different Batman.

the characters of heat shouldve been in ready player one

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I've still not seen Heat. Should I watch Heat? I know that shootout is cool, but is the rest of the movie any good?

if you have to ask maybe it's not for you. just continue on having not seen it, op

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it might be recency bias cause i just saw these both for the first time in the past year but i think thief and manhunter are in my top 3 mann films along with heat

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I like the Miami Vice movie and reccomend it as a good time but don't watch the directors cut version if you can avoid it. It fucks up the pacing of a few scenes imo and adds in a few bits that were cut with good reason.

most directors cuts are a step back from the theatrical. i cant think of any that arent except maybe blade runner?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
miami vice is vibes based film making at its finest

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cactus Ghost posted:

i liked the town but i'm not fussy about movies. Hell Or High Water. No Country For Old Men. Seasons 1-3 of Fargo. Season 2 of True Detective (fight me)

i'm not fussy about movies, i just like (some of the best movies and tv shows ever made)

except s2 of td lol that sucked rear end

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Small Strange Bird posted:

This thread should be retitled Mannhunter.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
for some reason i thought it was a remake of the john woo movie of the same name and was very confused by the trailer

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
michael mann should make some more movies. i need something good to watch

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

I'm debating if I care enough about Enzo to see Ferrari.

i think ferraris are cool but i could hardly give a poo poo less about the story and history behind the company. however, due to my tremendous amount of respect for michael mann (he's among my top directors easily) i will be seeing it in theaters probably

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i think the insider is the only mann (directed) film i have not seen. ive been kind of saving it.

and it still blows my mind that thief was his first out the gate. that movie loving rules so hard.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i dont really get it either. maybe its cause in not familiar with the tv show at all but miami vice is my least favorite mann movie by quite some margin

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

Manhunter is extremely good.

Of all the movies I've seen by him so far, the only one I'd caution against rushing into would be The Keep; that thing can only be enjoyed as a curiosity piece, though some individual scenes are gorgeous.

I'm in the minority here, but I believe The Last of the Mohicans is his weakest legitimately good movie.

agreed on all counts! i cant decide on an exact ordering on any given day (and ive probably posted it before itt, sorry!) but my top 3 mann films are firmly: heat, thief, and manhunter

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Last of the Mohicans also did not age nearly as well as many of his other movies (even older ones) imho. i saw it for the first time last year or maybe the year before though so maybe other people feel differently

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

I watched through the Mission Impossible movies recently and it was funny seeing it go from that grounded usenet take (except there were weird animations playing whenever a message was sent) to just completely nonsensical stuff like a Minority Report hologram computer built into the windshield of a car a couple movies later

same. upon rewatching, i think mi2 is by far the weakest one even though i love john woo. mi3 also kinda weak despite the incredible villain performance by philip seymour hoffman. the rest range from good to pretty great but my favorite is ghost protocol.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
don't get me wrong, being the relative worst of the MI films is still not that bad in my book at all. MI2 was my favorite growing up and i still love the ridiculous action scenes at the end. by comparison, mi3 would be complete trash without the hoffman performance because jj abrams is a fuckin hack.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

B-Rock452 posted:

It's his next movie apparently. There have been rumors about Timothee Chalamet playing the young version of Al Pacino's character

imdb has an entry for it, which probably doesn't mean much, and it has adam driver rumored as young neil

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
maybe the guy from the bear

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
movies are not tv shows they cant have hour long filler episodes to flesh out every minor characters detailed history with the mains you have to do a bit of work for yourself

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah the deniro love interest part being really unbelievable is a valid criticism that many people have made. it doesnt bother me too much but i can see why people think it lame

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

please continue recommending movies, this thread doesn't miss

yep i've picked up a half dozen bangers probably from this thread alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i watched to live and die in LA recently. loved it. the chase scene is absolutely intense and maybe one of the best ive ever seen in an older movie? i know it's like 10 years its senior but better than french connection imho

edit: also drat brutal gunshot violence in that movie. they dont make em like that anymore

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 27, 2024