Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

down n out posted:

I got my first noise complaint watching Heat in a small apartment with newly bought surround sound.

:haibrower: a right of passage for the physical media generation

also Heat is free on Youtube right now. Sorta crazy how much talent is in that movie. Movie holds up well, but :lol::lol::lol: at Deniro mugging around in his unbuttoned double-breasted suit jacket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

There’s like a 10 minute sequence at the climax of Last of the Mohicans where there’s no dialogue at all. It’s absolutely one of my favorite scenes in cinema, ever.

the climax of Last of the Mohicans is maybe the most epic thing ever filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8ZisDHg6v0

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

haljordan posted:

Easily my favorite movie soundtrack by a wiiiiiiide margin. Also Wes Studi kills it in everything (including Heat lmao)

not enough :haibrower: in the world to agree with this. Promontory is the movie soundtrack GOAT, even compared to John Williams

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

haljordan posted:

Sometimes people complain that the guy on the right would've gotten his gun out way quicker but I bet that's a pretty accurate recreation of what would happen irl especially if you just saw your buddy catch two in the chest. I also like the detail of Cruise pushing the first guy's arm across his body to make it more awkward to recover, and to also ensure that he wouldn't get hit if the guy did manage to get a shot off. Even when Cruise raises his hands, his draw hand is slightly lower to make pulling his gun easier. So many great little details packed into one scene.

I think 2nd dude got the hammer caught on his waistband... which is why Cruise is using a clip holster. Collateral is a great loving movie

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

Fichtner doesn't have a lot of screentime either, but the way things play out with him and the way he dies enforce that isolation theme while also embedding what a piece of poo poo everyone in the movie is

Seriously. Henry Rollins and Hank Azaria have like 30 seconds of screen time and maybe five lines a piece, and they're used masterfully to show that even the background players are pieces of poo poo.

I think this is my favorite scene in the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9QCtoOmEDU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

It's the same song used in the car chase scene in The Bourne Identity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ETruidd5lQ

posting the car chase scene because its a cinematic masterpiece :discourse:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

thathonkey posted:

not bad but i think my favorite scene is actually the aborted precious metals heist. definitely toss that into your next watch its pretty short

:hai: thats a fantastic scene. Deniro locking eyes with Pacino through the infrared camera, deniro acting like a startled predator when he hears the noise, its :discourse:

Also I'd like to point out that Ronin is free on Youtube right now. Its p. not as good as Heat, but the car chases and WHAT COLOR IS THE BOATHOUSE is awesome

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BasicLich posted:

A good example of this is the unsolved string of crimes perpetrated by "The Brabant Killers"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabant_killers

Between 1982 and 1985 a series of holdups, robberies and maybe veiled assassinations were perpetrated by a group of between 4-10 unidentified suspects. When the police intervened in some cases, the suspects would overwhelm the police and escape without any casualties on their behalf.

for example in one case, a roadblock had been set up. the Killers stopped their vehicle, calmly exited and opened fire on the police with unusual precision and escaped.

the story gets even weirder from there when you examine the details of the events, but I'm not gonna get into parapolitics itt

quote:

November 9, around 7:30 p.m.: Armed robbery at the Delhaize supermarket on the Parklaan in Aalst. This market was outside the area the gang usually operated in. They arrived while an armed patrol that checked the supermarket was still present. A family of four encountered the perpetrators in the parking lot after they left the shop and the mother, father, and daughter were killed apparently without motive. The surviving boy from the family ran back into the shop where he was singled out and shot at point blank range; he was very badly wounded in the hip. Less than $25,000 was taken, and eight people were killed with several others seriously injured. Gang members (wearing bizarre face paint and disguises) roared at and taunted customers. They also were reportedly laughing and smiling during the gratuitous shootings, which were done by the "Killer". The robbers did not leave the scene right away after returning to their parked getaway vehicle. The patrol vehicle from Belgium's Rijkswacht/Gendarmerie backed some distance away when shooting started; the municipal police arrived, although many of their cars had refused to start, but mainly remained at an exit of the parking lot that was well away from the gang. The getaway began with the "Giant" walking alongside the getaway car. A policeman fired his revolver at the gang's VW, which went through an unblocked exit and sped away. Rijkswacht/Gendarmerie vehicles stayed put, but a police van pursued the gang for a few kilometers.

:stare: what the everloving gently caress :stare:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBboyvN3s-o

Running Scared is the most tense action/horror movie I can remember seeing

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

I remember watching Running Scared for the first time like, eh, whatever Paul Walker, more FAST N FURIOUS or what

and then walking away pleasantly surprised

:same:

I don't think I saw it until 2010 or so, for the same reason.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Small Strange Bird posted:

This thread should be retitled Mannhunter.

:hmmyes:

Cactus Ghost posted:

i liked the town but i'm not fussy about movies. Hell Or High Water. No Country For Old Men. Seasons 1-3 of Fargo. Season 2 of True Detective (fight me)

:allears: I wanna hear about how you like season 2 of True Detective

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

i watched The Killer (2023) and it is one of the worst action thrillers ive seen in a long time. i wanted to like it because im a huge trent reznor fanboy but he could not save it

but a lot of the reason its so bad is because of the horrible and constant voiceover narration which makes the protagonist into an ultra cringe character, there was some good stuff in the cinematography and sound etc seems like it could be fixed somewhat by just deleting a lot of that crap

as much as i like Michael Fassbender, he was not the right lead for that movie. I read somewhere that Brad Pitt was originally the lead but dropped out because of the violence or something? :shrug:

also the character is a 100% false narrator, and the droning dialogue about being the best and so calculated is complete bullshit - everyone in the movie sucks at their job. Fassbender missing the shot in the opening is a pretty big tell I dunno if its the editing or what, but the movie plays that straight and it just gets lost. Also IMO there's some weird commentary about the gig economy and they're all just capitalist cogs phoning it in for a paycheck, but it feels like its another idea that was lost on the cutting room floor

Take Tilda Swinton's arc she was obviously well known at that restaurant, and she was armed the entire time. There's literally a hundred different things she could've done differently, but she wanted the ~cHaLlEnGe~ of turning the tables on My Dinner With Michael.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

mysterious frankie posted:

Though if I remember correctly, he looks a little lost and miserable while chilling on his deck chair in the final shot. I think there are going to be a looooooot of complicated hobbies in that man's future.

The Killer 2 should show Fassbender getting loving destroyed at a Warhammer 40k tournament and deciding to go back to work

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

and then her really huge hit was the Gladiator soundtrack a few years later

:lol: Pirates of the Caribbean won two oscars for using that soundtrack

EDIT

for content - Silent Night was a lot better than I anticipated. Its absolutely not Heat good, and maybe the weakest John Woo movie, but Joel Kinnaman puts on a fantastic performance

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

mysterious frankie posted:

He based his screenplay on a script written by Philip Dunne in 1936. IMO it was intentionally a formalistic Hollywood blockbuster because it was a learning exercise Mann was doing to figure out how blockbusters work. He took what he learned, synthesized it with his artier crime movies, and made Heat. I'd never claim it's a bad movie, but I do think it's a weak good movie because it's like... I dunno, a well-made runway for a much more interesting jet?

Thank you for this. Somewhere in my :350: brain was rattling around "Mann based it off some 1920s/30s movie" but I couldnt find anything by googling. IIRC (again, :350:) Mann said in interviews about the movie that there were certain things he would have done differently but he wanted to follow the script because that was the challenge he gave himself (or something similar)

EDIT

I wanna say it was one of the ambushes with a kerjillion extras rushing in from the sides?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

i want to see a movie about that hosed up set of incidents someone linked way earlier in the thread, from belgium. bunch of robbers with clear military training assault several businesses including i think a grocery store and seem to outnumber or scare off the cops. but then the more you read about it, the more clear it becomes that the robbers are gendarmes (military police) themselves. but it wasnt really clear what the aim of the whole thing was and they didnt end up taking a lot of money or anything. i think there was some connection to operation gladio/"stay behind networks" and all that as well

The Brabant Killers

French Wikipedia provides some more details as well

:shrug: It kinda seems like some Belgium Gendarmes got absolutely tweaked out of their minds and went on a rampage

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
You're in for a treat. Its maybe the best cameo movie of all time (Charlton Fuckin Heston)and Val Kilmer should have easily won an oscar. It's extremely bad timing that it went up against Unforgiven in the awards chase

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Great film, rewatched recently & lots of little stuff I forgot about like Bill Paxton being the most cheerful brother or Wyatt giving them a whole lotta chances before going vendetta & how the Cowboys weren’t a monolithic group. Also watched many movies before picking up on what a treasure Powers Boothe was.

Was that the last great Michael Biehn performance? Fantastic adversary for Doc.

Trying not to just list favorite scenes but Doc explaining pushing his pneumonia riddled body to exhaustion because Wyatt is his friend might win.

Go on, skin that smoke wagon and see what happens :clint:

Every line of dialogue in Tombstone is a treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Code Jockey posted:

watched Top Secret! tonight and yeah Val Kilmer is entirely underrated, I feel like he was huge for a while but not really taken seriously as an actor, just a really handsome dude who can do a range

he did a bunch of insanely lovely movies after Heat, and it locked him into a B player spot

The Salton Sea is intensely good but not really content for this thread