Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Heat is my favourite movie of all time, and it was a slow rise to the top over multiple watches as my appreciation grew.

I don’t have much to add that hasn’t already been covered in this thread, but whomever mentioned that the climax of Last of the Mohicans had really sparse dialogue reminded me of Rififi. If you like Heat and Thief that’s another excellent film. I’m fluent in French and still needed subtitles, but you won’t need any for the best part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

roomtwofifteen posted:

Saw it again last night but in a theater, incredible experience. Highly recommend
Where was it playing? I’m guessing TIFF 2025 will have a 30yr screening as they had a 20yr interview with Mann that I missed by being out of town :argh:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That is honestly one of the most stylish moves in all of film. It made me want a 1911 but the Canadian handgun freeze drove the prices above $2000 during the final round of imports, and they're maintenance queens.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Earwicker posted:

when is the last time someone made a crime thriller as good as Heat or Collateral?

most recent one i watched was The Drop with Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, and James Gandolfini. it was enjoyable but also a very small scale movie, no big set piece action scenes or anything. and also its from like 2014
The Town comes close, but it explicitly admits what it’s imitating and John Hamm’s character kinda drags it down. It was the first movie I saw in UltraAVX and the sound mix was excellent, down to having the right report and echo for different firearms.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I haven’t seen season 2, but how do you make that list without season 1? Truly phenomenal TV; my only criticism is that you might mistake Harrelson’s character for his own Mary Sue based on the quality of his side-action.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 22, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Noted piece of poo poo G. Gordon Liddy was also on that show.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

As much as I hate Tom Cruise, he's a great actor and I couldn't see anyone else selling that role like he does.
:hmmyes:

I saw The Killer in an actual theatre last night. It's as if you took Frank and Neil's life plans, put them out of order, and didn't spend any time telling your actor how to clear a house. The logistical elements are all there, but Fassbender does way too much one-handed and moves all wrong. His hand-to-hand fighting is much better and the overall acting is top-notch. It's got more dark comedic elements than any of Mann's work, and Fincher / Reznor and Ross never make a bad movie, but it's not a great movie.

Also if you think two Chris Cornell songs are too much, get ready to overdose on The Smiths.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 14, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Parts of the 90’s/00’s vibe (down to the Zune / early flash iPod) might be from not changing a lot from the graphic novels.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

naem posted:

in the killer 2023, the manager guy charges $150k for a job, so what, half of that is paid to our protagonist? He has 6 storage units with vehicles and dozens of disposable passports and credit cards and illegal fire arms in each, and multiple houses?

That’s a lot of overhead. How many murders does he have to do to earn a profit
Wasn’t the $150k for the “insurance”? Presumably that goes to the Lawyer who hires the Brute and the Expert at-cost for a cleanup that requires comparatively no prep. The Lawyer would probably redirect the original “success” payout, though now that I think about it there was no mention of the client getting his money back for the botched target.

Getting passports that scan would be expensive as poo poo to produce and pay off someone at the issuer.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

deep dish peat moss posted:

Brad Pitt can't top his character in Bullet Train so he should be done with playing killers in movies :colbert:
I passed on that in theatres for whatever reason. Does it get within shouting distance of this thread’s content?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
John Wick 4 was good enough to redeem 3 feeling over-long. Donny Yen’s character was ludicrous but only an order of magnitude more than Wick himself I suppose. The sequence that really stood out on the big screen was a top-down long take involving white phosphorous shotguns. It will appeal to a very specific era of gamer.

Back to The Killer: I saw it within days of WeWork filing for bankruptcy and that was pretty funny.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm debating if I care enough about Enzo to see Ferrari.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

A counter to that is the OG mission impossible movie when Ethan is browsing newsgroups looking for por..err looking for terrorists. Holds up well.
The all-time most authentic computer movie is Firewall, with a close runner up being a split second of Cillian Murphy's laptop in the Tron sequel.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Den of Thieves was accurately described by one reviewer as “the kind of movie someone would make if the only two movies they’d ever seen were Heat and The Usual Suspects with zero understanding of what made them good”. It’s like listening to someone play your favourite album on a single kazoo.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

B-Rock452 posted:

It's his next movie apparently. There have been rumors about Timothee Chalamet playing the young version of Al Pacino's character
God I hope he’s still got it; feels like it might be his last at this rate.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

thathonkey posted:

and it has adam driver rumored as young neil
boooo

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Thesaurus posted:

What was with all of the random stuff in this movie?
Do me a favour Slick: stop posting

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Putting out a recommendation for The Way of the Gun for kick rear end shootout scenes.
Sarah Silverman’s on-screen debut is why I won’t show anyone that movie until they’ve known me for at least a few months.

Aliensandwich posted:

Genuinely has some of the best gun sounds in cinema next to Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down.
The Town’s Fenway shootout comes close.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 9, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Thesaurus posted:

I also liked the part where 500 cops are shooting at three guys standing in the middle of the street. But deniro somehow fights them off literally single handedly while carrying his wounded friend to safety

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout worked about the same way.

Your split’s in the car outside.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Laterite posted:

skill issue

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is Mann not involved with the second season of Tokyo Vice? I watched that back to back with True Detective S1 in 2022 and it compared favourably.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Poohs Packin posted:

People probably thought Don Henly was a cool laid back guy in the 80s.

quote:

1980 arrest
Henley called paramedics to his home on November 21, 1980, where a 16-year-old girl was found naked and claiming she had overdosed on quaaludes and cocaine. She was arrested for prostitution, while a 15-year-old girl found in the house was arrested for being under the influence of drugs. Henley was arrested and subsequently charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He pled no contest, was fined $2,500 and put on two years' probation. Lois Chiles, who was no longer in a relationship with Henley at the time of the incident, later said, "I was shocked to hear about it. He didn't have drugs around the house. It was an accident, I'm sure". The media attention from this incident was the primary inspiration for the song "Dirty Laundry".[82]

In February 2024, ahead of a criminal trial in New York over the alleged theft of Henley’s original handwritten lyrics for numerous Eagles hits,[88] Judge Curtis Farber sided with attorneys for the defendants who sought to introduce a letter that Henley wrote to a Santa Monica probation officer giving his account of the events leading up to Henley's arrest.[89] Contrary to Henley’s 1991 claim that he was hosting a farewell party for the Eagles’ road crew,[90] the letter states that Henley “didn’t want to see any of my friends” so he called a madam who sent a girl to his home. Henley said he and the girl had a few drinks and did some cocaine and later she had what appeared to him to be an epileptic seizure. Henley called the paramedics but the girl had recovered by the time they arrived. Henley said it was only when the paramedics asked the girl questions that he learned she was underage. A while later, officers from the Los Angeles Police Department's Sexually Exploited Child Unit arrived and placed Henley and the girl under arrest.[91] During the trial testimony, Henley described the incident which led to his 1980 arrest as "a poor decision which I regret to this day,” stating that he sought an "escape" due to depression which he developed from The Eagles recent breakup[92]

Damnit I liked that song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Kilmer was infamous for being difficult to work with. I think one of the best documented cases was The Island of Dr. Moreau.