Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

:haibrower: a right of passage for the physical media generation

also Heat is free on Youtube right now. Sorta crazy how much talent is in that movie. Movie holds up well, but :lol::lol::lol: at Deniro mugging around in his unbuttoned double-breasted suit jacket

the fact that they didn't need to overdub the shootout because shooting blanks off in downtown LA was so loving loud that it made the soundtrack is really something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

yeah the north hollywood shootout was loving wild and part of why we're in this loving mess today

one of them popped himself after he had his hand shot and the other one got shot in the legs and was allowed to bleed to death before they let medics touch him, it was real crazy bad poo poo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

haljordan posted:

Yeah right at the beginning of the clip I linked Michael Mann is talking about how cops aren't used to being overwhelmed by force and by people who know what they're doing and when it happens they fall apart and that poo poo is 1,000% correct lol

yeah lol he's totally right, those two guys hosed up their recon and then, once they botched their job, held the copsLAPD at bay for like a straight hour before everything went real bad for them

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 9, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2YVhsg3VFg

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Smugworth posted:

Why were the police fellating each other in this fellas driveway

because they're cops, it's natural behavior

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

haljordan posted:

Fun fact about Batman & Robin: Arnold Schwarzenegger got $25 million for his part and he's only actually on screen for 30 minutes. Dude was being paid almost $1 million per minute. Hollywood!!!

He earned every penny with his performance

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

Heat is quite possibly a perfect film.

Last of the Mohicans is so loving good (Daniel Day-Lewis just walks into a movie and makes it great, I digress) but Heat, I think, takes the cake for Mann's directorial career.

Helps that he got to make it as a TV movie as a dry run first, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67GQrmY59rg

Waingro always dies because he's a loving rat and his death is remorseless

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 10, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

money making game posted:

Cool it, Slick! Have a deleted scene of Tom being a psycho family man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gQmLJXoGw8

Lol not only does that not make the character better, it actively makes him worse knowing his fate

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

buffalo bill and the allstate guy gettin got pretty much immediately

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

manero posted:

Watched this tonight because of the thread, it does indeed own.

Now watch Thief, Collateral and Last of the Mohicans

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah Manhunter is sweet too

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BigBadSteve posted:

I'm "watching" Heat for the first time now. Well, with about a twentieth of my attention. I admit Crime (fiction) isn't one of my favorite genres, though I've occasionally enjoyed some offbeat English & Australian crime films.

I can see how the movie would strongly resonate with many U.S. citizens, since it's centered round both the primary American Dream (chasing large amounts of money), and also their other, highly popular, dream of shooting a bunch of people for no good reason.

Yeah that's about how much I'd expect you to get out of that movie

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

Finally got around to watching Manhunter and the score is so loving intense.

The entire movie feels like a weird vaporwave fantasy and I love it.

yeah idk why they even bothered making Red Dragon

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

all I've heard is good things, been meaning to pick it up

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Vim Fuego posted:

yeah, really well done

Fichtner doesn't have a lot of screentime either, but the way things play out with him and the way he dies enforce that isolation theme while also embedding what a piece of poo poo everyone in the movie is

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBboyvN3s-o

Running Scared is the most tense action/horror movie I can remember seeing

I remember watching Running Scared for the first time like, eh, whatever Paul Walker, more FAST N FURIOUS or what

and then walking away pleasantly surprised

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

:same:

I don't think I saw it until 2010 or so, for the same reason.

it was only a year or two after it came out for me, but I gave it a chance and it's still a movie that I have fond memories of as far as the genre

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I never knew I needed a rare piece of irregular cut wax single so bad

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Im watching manhunter right now and it kicks rear end

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

mysterious frankie posted:

That scene set to A History of Bad Men was worth price of admission alone.

I saw Melvins a couple weeks ago and Dale is out recuperating from surgery.

Coady sure did play that song and it was great.

also,

Small Strange Bird posted:

This thread should be retitled Mannhunter.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Remulak posted:

Agreed - every time I see the Melvins I'm amazed at how well one drummer pulls off those two-drummer songs. And I've seem both of them now.

I saw them touring as a four piece a long time ago and it was sick as gently caress. Coady is next-level, though, I was glad that he became the permanent replacement of Des in HoF cuz I don't think a whole lot of other people can really pull what Des did off.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Watched Thief from thread’s recommendation (it’s on Paramount+), that was excellent & Caan’s character was fascinating. I liked how he was consistently thuggish & aggressive while capable of being methodical & professional on jobs, but he didn’t know when to turn it off (he may not even been capable of doing so) in situations where it may not be the best idea, comically at the adoption office, but then threatening a crime boss & banishing his wife could probably have been approached differently.

Interesting to see James Belushi in a non-wacky role & he was fine, did have a question about the ending. why did Caan blow up his house & businesses? Was it to symbolize he was abandoning his dreams to be more than his mentor & resigning himself to always being a thief with no connections? I was confused as Leo didn’t want those places or even mention them & Caan wasn’t faking his family’s deaths, felt like an unnecessary act & likely to injure himself before a risky one man attack.

I liked when he was storming Leo’s house and was spotted by his wife, who looks scared but has been probably expecting such a thing so she just turns back to the tv and lives.

Read Remulak's post just a bit upthread

ugly business doing ugly things and justifying them to yourself

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 23, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I watched an episode of Miami Vice last week where jazz legend Miles Davis plays a pimp. That was a wild thing to experience. Sorta felt like walking into the bathroom without knocking and seeing my dad naked.

lol have you ever seen the Frank Zappa episode

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Not yet! I’m watching them chronologically, so I’ll be experiencing this soon.

He literally does the exact same poo poo that got him banned for life from SNL and it's loving hilarious

just complete disdain

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Just rewatched Collatteral and Grey Tom Cruise is a great villain

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

B-Rock452 posted:

Also I think I am like the one person that loved Miami Vice

I liked Miami Vice, it wasn't Thief or Heat but it's neat to see him do a new take on the characters

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

Watching Miami Vice original series and its all vibes. Great synthy music, killer fashion, really well shot. Big mood.

even Frank Zappa couldn't manage to kill the vibes of that show on his episode, and he was drat good at that

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I saw him chowing down, like absolutely going to town, on something 2 spots ahead of me in line while being an rear end in a top hat with a full mouth to the cashier, straight giving her the business, at the Cerrillos Whole Foods in Santa Fe post-weight-gain, pre-cancer one time.

It was like that copypasta but IRL and way, way before it ever showed up.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

theres a val kilmer copypasta

no the copypasta where some rando celeb (it started as "i saw flying lotus") tries to skip out on their grocery tab while being an rear end in a top hat and making funny jokes at people and winking

i saw val kilmer do it irl at a whole foods in santa fe many years before that was even a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Android Apocalypse posted:

There is a great Chuck Klosterman segment in his book Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People & Dangerous Ideas when he interviewed Val Kilmer. Kilmer is one of those method actors that truly believes he knows the part he's playing better than the character itself; he knows what it's like to be Jim Morrison better than Morrison himself, he knows what it's like to be Moses better than Moses.

He definitely knows what it's like to be a dude spitting pieces of food out of his full mouth while eating an item he hasn't paid for while arguing with a grocery store cashier about prices, that's for sure