Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Everyone needs to watch all of Mann's movies. The only turd is Black Hat, which I still sorta like. And watch the Miami Vice pilot "Brother's Keeper" while you're at it. He didn't direct it, but his fingerprints are alllll over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

Yeah Manhunter is sweet too

Manhunter is in my...top 5 movies. I love it so much. I could talk about it all day.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

lmao

Just imagine how many underpaid overworked teachers would eventually snap and think gently caress it I’m taking these monsters out with me.

Anyway, Heat is real good but I like Collateral more. I love movies that unfold in real time, and the focus being tighter on just two people almost makes it like a reverse buddy comedy.

Collateral is also a "one crazy night" movie, which are always loving great.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Remulak posted:

the same way that something like Jackie Brown is a just watch for a character hang movie.

what the gently caress.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

pretty soft girl posted:

Don Johnson is so loving cool god drat

When the show became popular, Wahl released a stubble trimmer called the “Miami Device” designed to give you the same 5 o’clock shadow he had.

I have searched high and low for one and can’t find any.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Spinz posted:

They totally still are made

Called stubble trimmers
Google that and read
:)

Right. I want one that’s specifically branded as a Miami Device. They dropped that branding because I figure NBC was gonna sue the pants off them.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 18, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

pretty soft girl posted:

I too have gone on this fruitless search for the Miami Device. I've settled for buying used copies of Heartbeat on vinyl whenever I see it, including one promotional single I found in the shape of Don Johnson's face

Can you post a picture of this

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I love everything about that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Manhunter is my favorite movie and they better loving hurry up on that 4k release.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

thathonkey posted:

michael mann should make some more movies. i need something good to watch

you're in luck.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

Also, is anyone ever gonna do a wellness check on Detective Zito? Dude's been skulking around the background of most episodes this season looking disheveled, having emotional outbursts, getting mysterious limps, etc. I think he's still living with Switek since his apartment burned down, or maybe he's homeless? Whatever the hell is going on with that character has been the low key most interesting element of this season.

Keep going. You're in for a shock with those two.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I took your rec, and it was a trip watching Heat, except in the format of the lovely 80s network crime dramas that mom loved. And it was a failed pilot!? The things that could have been.

I didn't realize it was a pilot turned movie. It does track though. I know Mann had that screenplay since the late 70's. Miami Vice was a monster hit. Crime Story wasn't but I can still see why NBC would want to give Mann another shot at something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

What was with all of the random stuff in this movie?

Oh no, the scary bad guy is also a serial killer of prostitutes! Oh, that never comes up again.

We meet some guy trying to hold down a job in a diner. Oh he happens to already know deniro and dies right away in a shoot out with no further character development.

Pacino is trying to do right by his step daughter, with whom he interacts in only one scene. Oh no, she tries to kill herself in his apartment, for reasons never explained or returned to. How did she even know where he was or get there? He had just moved out and into a motel

Deniro and a random artist woman instantly fall for each other. This makes sense because she's "seen him in the store before"...?

Media literacy is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

To Live and Die in LA and Manhunter make a great double feature.