Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I dunno op, I just watched this for the first time after seeung the hype and thought it was average to slightly lame. Seems like pretty much a bog standard cops and robbers story with some thinly developed love stories thrown in. Felt very 90s, but not in a good way :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Cactus Ghost posted:

what's your recommendation for an above average to slightly awesome , unusual cops and robbers story with some richly developed love stories, that feels very fresh, in a good way

Dog day afternoon

I don't think I care much for old al Pacino, maybe that's all

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

What was with all of the random stuff in this movie?

Oh no, the scary bad guy is also a serial killer of prostitutes! Oh, that never comes up again.

We meet some guy trying to hold down a job in a diner. Oh he happens to already know deniro and dies right away in a shoot out with no further character development.

Pacino is trying to do right by his step daughter, with whom he interacts in only one scene. Oh no, she tries to kill herself in his apartment, for reasons never explained or returned to. How did she even know where he was or get there? He had just moved out and into a motel

Deniro and a random artist woman instantly fall for each other. This makes sense because she's "seen him in the store before"...?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

How can you like shouty, crazy ,old Pacino, when soft-spoken, sensitive, charming young Pacino is right there??

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Did you actually watch the movie, or did you just have it on in the background while washing dishes or something

I regret that I watched every minute.

I see that nobody has addressed any of my observations. I guess I just have to trust that it's an excellent movie and then reason backwards from there? Hang it up, heatailures

I also liked the part where 500 cops are shooting at three guys standing in the middle of the street. But deniro somehow fights them off literally single handedly while carrying his wounded friend to safety

I guess it was all worth it for the realistic gun noises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Maybe Pacino should stick to playing bad guys instead of cops. (Except for serpico, but that's because he's the enemy of the other cops). Reverse the rolls with deniro...