Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Mister Speaker posted:

Henry Rollins as Fichtner's goon is pretty hilarious. I bet he hated shooting the scene where Pacino tosses him around like a ragdoll.

It was actually the complete opposite, he was beyond geeked to be working with Pacino and had a pretty good (and wild) time shooting the scenes with him:

quote:

“Michael Mann said, ‘Your character has scenes with Al Pacino, but if Al doesn’t like you, you can’t be in the movie. So we’re going to have lunch to see if he likes you,'” Mann explained. “I’m like, ‘Uh? When?’ He goes, ‘We’re leaving now.’ We walked out with my jaw on the floor and went to some high-class Italian restaurant in Beverly Hills.”

“At the end of the lunch, he goes, ‘Michael, I like him,'” Rollins continued, “He was hilarious to be around. There’s one scene where I’m handcuffed, so Al would sit on a couch and keep me company while I was being unlocked. ‘Someone give me a magic marker. I’m gonna draw a moustache on Henry.’ When you’re getting razzed by Al Pacino, how bad is your day?”

In another interview, he talked about how he had to convince Pacino to really hit him in order to make the beating look real (and how Pacino gave him more than he was expecting):

quote:

Now, Al Pacino and I [take over the scene], recovering on rubberized glass bits. Al has to grab me, call me a bunch of names and slap me around. He’s a nice man, he doesn’t want to hurt me. He slaps me a little [in perfect Pacino inflection]: “You bastard!” He slaps me and I say [off camera], “Al, sir, we really have to sell this. So you should really haul off and whack me.” [as Pacino] “I don’t want to hurt you.” I said, “Look at this face. What could you possibly do to it that wasn’t done by some guy in San Diego who had five rings on his hand.” He goes, “OK.” Al invests in the moment. So the next take he grabs me by my hair so hard I almost started crying and he hauls off and whacks me across the face to where I could feel it in my toes. “You bastard, you! (whack, whack!)” My face went numb. Thankfully, after a few takes of that [facetiously], we got it! It’s Michael Mann, it’s a lot of takes. Too bad they used one of the earlier takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

haljordan posted:

Apparently Bill Petersen took some of the fake money they printed for the movie (which was A+ quality) and spent it in bars and restaurants lmao

IIRC,Friedkin hired several former counterfeiters to either do the money used in the movie or show the actors how to do it, something like that

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Thesaurus posted:

What was with all of the random stuff in this movie?

Oh no, the scary bad guy is also a serial killer of prostitutes! Oh, that never comes up again.

We meet some guy trying to hold down a job in a diner. Oh he happens to already know deniro and dies right away in a shoot out with no further character development.

Pacino is trying to do right by his step daughter, with whom he interacts in only one scene. Oh no, she tries to kill herself in his apartment, for reasons never explained or returned to. How did she even know where he was or get there? He had just moved out and into a motel

Deniro and a random artist woman instantly fall for each other. This makes sense because she's "seen him in the store before"...?

Did you actually watch the movie, or did you just have it on in the background while washing dishes or something

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Thesaurus posted:

I regret that I watched every minute.

I see that nobody has addressed any of my observations. I guess I just have to trust that it's an excellent movie and then reason backwards from there? Hang it up, heatailures

I also liked the part where 500 cops are shooting at three guys standing in the middle of the street. But deniro somehow fights them off literally single handedly while carrying his wounded friend to safety

I guess it was all worth it for the realistic gun noises

Ah gotcha, you were folding laundry while talking to someone on your phone during the movie

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Hollismason posted:

No seriously To Live and Die in La is amazing. Please watch it.

One of my favorite Friedkin films of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBPynHY8XnQ