Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

All-time elite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGmT8UTPaco

haljordan fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

the fact that they didn't need to overdub the shootout because shooting blanks off in downtown LA was so loving loud that it made the soundtrack is really something

Yeah Michael Mann insisting on using real locations and basically no soundstages is why it sounds so loving awesome. You almost never, ever see that kind of stuff nowadays.

That movie inspired actual criminals to do the same exact poo poo in real life and it went even worse for the cops. And there were only two of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

haljordan fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 9, 2023

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Rinkles posted:

“The SWAT team also commandeered an armored car to evacuate the wounded. Several officers additionally equipped themselves with AR-15s and other semi-automatic rifles from a nearby firearms dealer.” I loled

The footage from that shootout is WILD. At one point, one of the gunman is just walking next to a car being driven by the other guy at basically idle speed just fuckin unloading bullets on the cops.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

yeah the north hollywood shootout was loving wild and part of why we're in this loving mess today

one of them popped himself after he had his hand shot and the other one got shot in the legs and was allowed to bleed to death before they let medics touch him, it was real crazy bad poo poo

Yeah right at the beginning of the clip I linked Michael Mann is talking about how cops aren't used to being overwhelmed by force and by people who know what they're doing and when it happens they fall apart and that poo poo is 1,000% correct lol

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

yeah they flat out told the ambulance to go away and waited an hour for him to bleed to death. i think that's sop though. there was a guy near my hometown that came home to an undercover cop in his driveway getting his dick sucked by another cop and ended up getting shot in the stomach and crawling 200 yards before dying despite being like five minutes from the hospital.

Nowadays they'd just use a robot to drop a grenade on the guy

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I also like the scene at the drive-in where those goons try to kill DeNiro and he makes sure to shoot one of them to spin him around so he can see the car about to run him over

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

istewart posted:

I know I'm not the only one out there who thinks Clooney deserves a mulligan

Fun fact about Batman & Robin: Arnold Schwarzenegger got $25 million for his part and he's only actually on screen for 30 minutes. Dude was being paid almost $1 million per minute. Hollywood!!!

haljordan fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 9, 2023

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

roomtwofifteen posted:

I just saw Heat for the first time a few weeks ago and I love how I’m seeing Heat discussion everywhere, constantly.

It’s not a Baader-Meinhof thing, it’s just Heat is cool and people are still talking about it

It really is a stellar movie.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

It’s surprisingly difficult to shoot a hand gun accurately. I bet it’s true if the person has never fired a weapon before and was under pressure.

But I've been told arming teachers is a smart idea that definitely won't lead to more innocent people getting killed!!!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

Cops can’t even hit something without unloading 17 rounds and they have mandatory training lol

Yeah and sometimes that something is another cop lmao what a time to be alive

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

lmao

Just imagine how many underpaid overworked teachers would eventually snap and think gently caress it I’m taking these monsters out with me.

Anyway, Heat is real good but I like Collateral more. I love movies that unfold in real time, and the focus being tighter on just two people almost makes it like a reverse buddy comedy.

There's a video on YouTube of the training Tom Cruise went through for that movie, it's funny because he still has his long hair from "The Last Samurai". He put in the work though, for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8-P8sJNHk0

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

the climax of Last of the Mohicans is maybe the most epic thing ever filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8ZisDHg6v0

Easily my favorite movie soundtrack by a wiiiiiiide margin. Also Wes Studi kills it in everything (including Heat lmao)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

sebmojo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEFPcljAXgs

I found this by googling "collateral scene" lol

Sometimes people complain that the guy on the right would've gotten his gun out way quicker but I bet that's a pretty accurate recreation of what would happen irl especially if you just saw your buddy catch two in the chest. I also like the detail of Cruise pushing the first guy's arm across his body to make it more awkward to recover, and to also ensure that he wouldn't get hit if the guy did manage to get a shot off. Even when Cruise raises his hands, his draw hand is slightly lower to make pulling his gun easier. So many great little details packed into one scene.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 15, 2023

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I think you're talking about Bruce McGill, who is one of my favorite That Guy actors.

Yep, dude crushes it in EVERYTHING. From Timecop to Black Sheep he can do no wrong.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

I watched face off last night and god drat do they shoot a lot of cops in that movie, just fist pump after fist pump watching

That movie is an all time classic, it STARTS with a child getting murdered and then a ridiculous plane/Hummer chase and never slows down from there. I feel privileged to have seen it in the theater when it first came out.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 23, 2023

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Trillhouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEFPcljAXgs

this scene is so loving cool. Michael Mann ftw

Notice how Tom Cruise subtly checks the alley to make sure no one else is coming before he shoots these two in cold blood lol

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

:hai: thats a fantastic scene. Deniro locking eyes with Pacino through the infrared camera, deniro acting like a startled predator when he hears the noise, its :discourse:

Also I'd like to point out that Ronin is free on Youtube right now. Its p. not as good as Heat, but the car chases and WHAT COLOR IS THE BOATHOUSE is awesome

I love that brown Mercedes they use during the chase scene

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Earwicker posted:

Ronin is a great movie, its just as good as Heat imo just a different kind of movie. ive been meaning to watch it again actually.

a long time ago for some photoshop contest on these forums I made a Chick Tract about the boathouse scene and i cant find it anymore. DRAW IT AGAIN!

I like Ronin because it's like a David Mamet film, the objective is to get the case but they only spend maybe 2 minutes discussing what's actually in the case. So many other movies would make it explicitly clear what's in the case and why each side wants it and blah blah blah who cares when it really adds nothing to the plot.

Also I think of the DRAW IT AGAIN scene whenever I watch Escape from LA lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj5Mp68u2tY&t=60s

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Earwicker posted:

i mean its not just like a david mamet film, he co-wrote it.

lol I feel like a total moron for not realizing that. I am forever shamed now.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Earwicker posted:

well it definitely has a different feeling than most of his other movies, i cant think of any other mamet film with so much good action

Yeah I'd say Spartan is maybe a close second but that only has 2 or 3 (fairly brief) scenes of intense action.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dafoe was excellent in "To Live and Die in LA", I always thought that movie was sadly overlooked.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

Great movie great soundtrack

Apparently Bill Petersen took some of the fake money they printed for the movie (which was A+ quality) and spent it in bars and restaurants lmao

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Earwicker posted:

also speaking of david mamet, and heist movies, Heist is pretty good for what it is, but kind of weird. its got that kind of stodgy feeling that happens when mamet directs his own stuff. but i love the cast and the dialogue is fun.

Ricky Jay was great in that one (as usual) and I always loved Delroy Lindo's performance.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

IIRC,Friedkin hired several former counterfeiters to either do the money used in the movie or show the actors how to do it, something like that

Yep

quote:

Despite the crew's best efforts, some of the counterfeit bills made for the film got into circulation. The bills' quality was very, very good, but the Treasury seal on the counterfeits used the letter X, which is not a valid Federal Reserve Bank letter. The Secret Service picked up X bills for quite a while after filming wrapped.

And I apologize, it was the director who passed the money lol

quote:

William Friedkin, in his memoir "The Friedkin Connection", says that the fake money they made was so good that, after some of it left the set, he eventually heard from the Secret Service and a US Attorney. After he avoided a confrontation with them, Friedkin states, "When the film came out, there were news stories about people trying to make counterfeit money after seeing the step-by-step process in our film. I took some of the twenties, those printed on both sides of course, put them in my wallet, and spent them in restaurants, shoe-shine parlors, and elsewhere. The money was that good."

haljordan fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 15, 2023

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Earwicker posted:

hey maybe someone in this thread can help me with this

i have a very strong memory of a 70s spy thriller. kind of fell somewhere between Ronin and Spy Who Came In from the Cold, atmosphere-wise. cold war paranoia, lots of running around different cities in Europe, and also with a tense scene involving the old shuttle at Dulles airport. in my memory this movie stars Richard Burton and Alain Delon. but i cant see anything in either of their imdb listings that looks like it. does anyone know what im talking about?

Was it Scorpio?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070653/?ref_=adv_li_tt

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Earwicker posted:

oh yes that is it! i guess i confused richard burton and burt lancaster somehow. i guess because burt lancaster's character is a lot like leamas from spy who came in from the cold

lol no worries, I only figured it out because you mentioned Alain Delon.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

thathonkey posted:

heres my mann top 5 ranking,

heat
thief
manhunter
collateral
last of the mohicans

Good call on Thief, a Jimmy Caan classic

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

B-Rock452 posted:

Sicario rules but the fact they haven't made a movie around Jeffrey Donovan's character is criminal...

I SAID THE SAME EXACT THING the first time I saw that scene

I should rewatch Burn Notice

haljordan fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 17, 2023

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

This movie was severely underrated.

I know I've mentioned it ITT before, and it's not exactly modern, but The Score is a fantastic heist movie. DeNiro, Norton and Brando planning a heist in scenic Montreal.

Brando kept calling Frank Oz "Miss Piggy" throughout filming, such a colossal rear end in a top hat lol. Also I saw "Island of Dr. Moreau" in the theater, someone owes me money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

To be fair Robert Pattinson is usually the best part of any film he’s in.

He was really excellent in Good Time