Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I really like Red Dragon as a stand alone movie, but yeah, compared to Manhunter I like the original a lot more.

This thread inspired me to show Heat on discord with a bunch of friends, and it was a good time. Thanks thread!

e. I think I'll show Collateral tonight, that movie is good and I haven't seen it in ages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
played some gta online with two friends earlier, did lots of Heat roleplay in my mind

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
watching Heat tonight

it's still good

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Disco Pope posted:

If Al Pacino is in Heat, keep a spray can of water handy for when he starts yowling at 2am.

lmao

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

naem posted:

on the imgur front page just now:

https://i.imgur.com/uCqTCAh.mp4

trailer park boys is intense now

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

thathonkey posted:

it might be recency bias cause i just saw these both for the first time in the past year but i think thief and manhunter are in my top 3 mann films along with heat

I just put on Thief last night and holy poo poo this movie is very good, I cannot believe I have been without it

It's James Caan at the center of a beautifully shot, compelling crime drama

I was sold just at the intro

e. and right now, I am streaming Over The Top. I give, and I take away

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

mysterious frankie posted:

Thief is tremendous. I've been toying with interpreting it as an environmental horror film with Frank as the monster created and roused to action by human malfeasance, but the environment is institutional\cultural rather than physicaland the damage\mutation is psychological. Dude was dealt a bum hand at every turn coming up and, unlike most people who get that screwed that early on, he became a high-powered mutant master thief instead of a street person. But his human professional identity was like camouflage, even from himself, and he needed to move in tight controlled routines, sustained by the unachievable hope of the perfect live he had cobbled together in his wallet sized vision board, in order to maintain it. When humanity discovered him and attempted to exploit his talents for more wealth, they didn't understand what they were dealing with and that it couldn't compromise or adapt, which led to carnage and the collapse of Frank's persona along with all the life that had been built up around it.

whoa

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jose Oquendo posted:

When the show became popular, Wahl released a stubble trimmer called the “Miami Device” designed to give you the same 5 o’clock shadow he had.

I have searched high and low for one and can’t find any.

this owns

and yeah Don Johnson is so good

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Saganlives posted:

My friends and I watched Thief a couple days ago, and whoa. I mostly agree with your analysis, though I would personally frame it more as a working class professional struggling against a system that wants to exploit his labor. Your character analysis is really spot on, too.

I felt like Mann's fingerprints were all over this movie in ways that weren't as thickly applied in his later films, but really made this one pop visually. This scene in particular really grabbed me:
The way the foreground pavement is wet but solid, the middle ground is the river, and the background is this wall of city and its all color graded so the lights are this cool teal. For real, after enjoying so many Mann movies with their lack of compromise for actual dark or nighttime shots I get very annoyed by anything today that is shot day-for-night.

Contrast that with the incredibly bright and chaotic safe cracking scene:

No music with that scene, just the loud hiss of the thermal lance melting the safe door. I was incredibly impressed with both safe cracking scenes, actually. There's no substitute for watching it actually happen without faking it via effects.

The real bow on this film though is the ending. My friends and I were hooting and hollering when Frank gets away alive at the end. Made even more beautiful by the fact that it's only possible because he burned his old life to the ground, thus paying the price for his vengeance upfront rather than in blood at the end. Just loving chef's kiss. As a final thought, I leave you with a gif the reload. Maybe not as good as Val in Heat, but dripping with cool.

Every word of this, but yeah James Caan is fantastic in it, it's a great character for him

and yeah the thermal lance reveal is subtle, I love it. a modern movie by someone else would play big booming orchestra and have big sweeping shots of the thing, etc. This was just "you get to learn about it as we move because there is incredible tension in this moment and we don't have time to jerk off over the tools"

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

B-Rock452 posted:

The lance scene is so good. It's such a loud messy scene that ups the realism of the movie.

Absolutely, and I love the lead up. "Yeah, I can do that, but it's going to be a complete motherfucker to use", and yeah, that looked like it would be hot, miserable, chaotic, and who know how well that thing was built given the time. It could've exploded on them for all they knew

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Captain Yossarian posted:

Jesus Christ Manhunter is such a good movie. Man...I've watched this movie like 25 times and EVERY time I just watch the whole thing with no breaks. Just a masterpiece. Gonna rope my gf into watching it with me for spooky month tomorrow night 🤙🤙

I ran this and Silence of the Lambs last night as a "more suspense than horror but I will take any excuse to run Manhunter" double feature

One thing that absolutely caught me was the way the bathroom was lit, early on. I feel like any other director, especially if done in the eras following this, would have drastically over-lit this scene to emphasize the pure white and the gold accents. To beat us over the head with what we're supposed to take from the scene.

Instead, look at this poo poo:

:nws: (blood everywhere)

Just look at how well lit that entire room is, but the bathroom lighting is so evocative. It's so real. There are products out, some which are obviously being used, all generally well ordered. That is what a bathroom at night at a crime scene at an upper class home would look like, I assume.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

FutonForensic posted:

My favorite Manhunter scenes are
1. Will talking about his mental health in the grocery store
2. The analysis of the toilet paper note. I really felt every person involved in the procedure was an expert in their respective field, and also that they were deeply miserable from their work

Yeah both of these were excellent, and I remember thinking during the lab scene that it was "police procedural forensics" but not in the shiny, overly-dramatized / narrated, decades-ahead-of-current-tech way, it felt more real too

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That was a great writeup, and several words into it I realized I have not seen The Keep

so I'm gonna fix that pronto

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I knocked some more Mann movies off my list this weekend. Saw The Insider and Collateral. Liked both a lot!

I did not have The Insider, and I have since corrected this problem. Thank you, I can't wait to see it.

Been meaning to run Thief again too, gently caress that's a good movie.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

It’s pretty cool! I like how he coaxed out the hidden moral and financial complexities to something that should be a no-brainer (ratting on tobacco companies for being monsters). What do you owe to yourself, what do you owe to your family, and what to you owe to the public? If you know you’re going to potentially destroy your family financially and emotionally by doing the right thing, and you know you’re doing the right thing for petty reasons rather than ethical ones, and you’re making these decisions unilaterally without your spouse, is it still the right thing?

So the credits are rolling now, and holy cow was this movie good. It's a cannot miss if you like Mann's work, and it's just a great film overall. This complex struggle is absolutely one of the most compelling parts of it, the human that is caught in the middle of it all

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Manhunter is extremely good.

I cannot second this enough, it's one of my favorite movies by far

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

thathonkey posted:

agreed on all counts! i cant decide on an exact ordering on any given day (and ive probably posted it before itt, sorry!) but my top 3 mann films are firmly: heat, thief, and manhunter

one hundred percent

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I saw some reviews from the time that said Cruise was too robotic, but I feel like they missed the point of that performance. I need to lay out my own understanding of Mann's work to really defend what I'm saying here. Apologies in advance.

fantastic write up and I agree 100%

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
that email thing was unintentionally hilarious, watching it in 2023

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Russel Crowe was great as Wigand, I'm not used to seeing him play subtle and subdued.

I already want to watch The Insider again lol, Michael Mann you've done it again

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Doesn’t he plan on making a film adaptation of Heat 2? I got it in my head that he was, and so I was gonna wait and see the movie version first.

I did not know this and now I am so hype for it

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
gently caress I forgot I grabbed To Live and Die in LA, I was looking forward to seeing that / running it for the squad

also I've just upgraded disks in the plex, please continue recommending movies, this thread doesn't miss

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
watched Top Secret! tonight and yeah Val Kilmer is entirely underrated, I feel like he was huge for a while but not really taken seriously as an actor, just a really handsome dude who can do a range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Buce posted:

has anyone said kiss kiss bang bang was good as hell itt yet?

I misread this as Long Kiss Goodnight, which got me thinking about Cutthroat Island, and now I want a Michael Mann pirate movie