Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

That's why they call him The Comedian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Franchises without a title remaining:

Nets
Hornets
Magic
Pacers
Grizzlies
Pelicans
Timberwolves
Jazz
Suns
Clippers

Teams who have one but not since well before they moved to their current location:
Hawks
Kings
Thunder

Who’s gonna be next? Suns obviously are the favorite currently in terms of top end talent but are overhauling everything else. The Grizz were evidently not built for the moment but still have tantalizing potential if they ever get their poo poo together.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Pels looked like they could do it when Zion and BI were healthy, but that's looking like a rare occurrence.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Jokic now owns the West there is no hope for any of the teams mentioned. Only hope for Jokic

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

its interesting seeing some people having so much internal conflict over jokic. worrying about his marketability and if the media will embrace him. the guy earns an insane amount of money, enough to go retire into what he likes back home when hes had enough of dominating at the highest level of a game. why are some people so consumed with these weird concepts that would be more at home in pro wrestling than the life of this guy?

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

We are entering the Horse Era.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Please no one start posting about wrestling and how it isn’t for children and how the NBA is similar

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The league's FMVP being a horse girl is just fantastic

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Congrats to all the Nuggets posters. Well earned. And Jokic is just the best

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

I would love to live in a world where every draft prospect looked like a horn player in Mandrill.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Qmass posted:

its interesting seeing some people having so much internal conflict over jokic. worrying about his marketability and if the media will embrace him. the guy earns an insane amount of money, enough to go retire into what he likes back home when hes had enough of dominating at the highest level of a game. why are some people so consumed with these weird concepts that would be more at home in pro wrestling than the life of this guy?

I'm not sure people are hand wringing over that, it's more like the Nuggets probably (still) won't get as much media attention and column space due in part to Jokic not fitting the mold of "super star athlete". And that's fine. I think all the years of NBA champion Lebron and Curry has kind of skewed us to thinking that that's the media mark NBA champions should hit. Nuggets aren't going to be like the Warriors or Lebron lead Heat/Cavs teams. But that also probably shouldn't feel so alien.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Also televised sports media exists now only to tell you at high volume whether someone is over- or underrated

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

kingcobweb posted:

I thought Jokic was screaming as his teammates because he wanted a championship but it was really because losing meant an additional three days before he could go back to Serbia 🇷🇸
He just Wanted It More than Jimmy

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Beefed Owl posted:

Frankly it's the only part of this that sucks because gently caress the guy but then again he owns all the teams I like so what the gently caress can you do plus he got all those titles within 2 years

Ugh. Yay, but ugh.

It’s interesting they built the Rams vs the Nuggets vs Avs. I don’t follow hockey enough but it seems like they are all over spectrum of f them picks to home grown talent.

Do think Conley going to be given a ring?

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/HarrisonWind/status/1668466389072621568?s=20

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

I'm not sure people are hand wringing over that, it's more like the Nuggets probably (still) won't get as much media attention and column space due in part to Jokic not fitting the mold of "super star athlete". And that's fine. I think all the years of NBA champion Lebron and Curry has kind of skewed us to thinking that that's the media mark NBA champions should hit. Nuggets aren't going to be like the Warriors or Lebron lead Heat/Cavs teams. But that also probably shouldn't feel so alien.

The only people who are conflicted in this are the people complaining about how much media attention the nuggets do or do not get. Jokic certainly seems fine with the level of attention and praise he gets. Like I’m sure the nuggets wish they could market him a bit easier, but the entire issue seems to be people upset that Stephen A. Smith isn’t screaming about how Michael Porter Jr is a bum twice a week on first take or something

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The entire NBA blogosphere and boutique sports writing outlets have been yelling loudly and vocally about Jokic for the last 3 years

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
imagine your 47th rando pick turning out to be the best in the world and taking you to your first championship ever

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

RaySmuckles posted:

imagine your 47th rando pick turning out to be the best in the world and taking you to your first championship ever

Hope teams start bringing all their lovely Eurostash picks over in hopes of replicating Jokic. I want to see Petteri Koponen getting minutes next year

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

now that the finals are over do we get to find out the manner of execution Silver has selected for Ja Morant?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Hope teams start bringing all their lovely Eurostash picks over in hopes of replicating Jokic. I want to see Petteri Koponen getting minutes next year

There was an hilariously inappropriate amount of hype for Alen Smailagić in Warriors spaces a few years back, people are fiending for the next sloppy Slav boy.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Idk (idc) about the media reaction, I just find it fascinating how little Jokic seemed to be affected by winning. He was clearly happy and very proud to share the moment with his family (especially carrying his daughter everywhere awww) but also clearly much more reserved/detatched than a guy like Murray, whose reaction was awesome but also way more typical. Jokic said the bare minimum in his interview, he loitered toward the back of the stage on the court, he even seemed frustrated that he had to stay a few more days for the parade! Honestly if I were a Nuggets fan I might be annoyed that he seems to care less than I do about him winning. But that’d be on me, he gets to react however he wants.

Instinctually you want to assume it’s a cultural thing, like growing up in Europe and having America/the NBA be a world away makes it natural for him to care less than someone like Murray who fully grew up in it. But we all saw Giannis break down a couple of years ago and party all night and eat 50 Chick-fil-A nuggets. I remember Dirk couldn’t even stay on the court as time expired, he had to go collect himself in the tunnel before rejoining everyone. I guess Joker is just a fully unique dude, cool as a cucumber even in the biggest moment of his life. I dunno if we’ll ever see another guy win the dang Finals MVP and barely lift the trophy off the table. I for one am on board with it. You do you, Big Honey. The job is done, and now you can go home

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Horse

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

Idk (idc) about the media reaction, I just find it fascinating how little Jokic seemed to be affected by winning. He was clearly happy and very proud to share the moment with his family (especially carrying his daughter everywhere awww) but also clearly much more reserved/detatched than a guy like Murray, whose reaction was awesome but also way more typical. Jokic said the bare minimum in his interview, he loitered toward the back of the stage on the court, he even seemed frustrated that he had to stay a few more days for the parade! Honestly if I were a Nuggets fan I might be annoyed that he seems to care less than I do about him winning. But that’d be on me, he gets to react however he wants.

Instinctually you want to assume it’s a cultural thing, like growing up in Europe and having America/the NBA be a world away makes it natural for him to care less than someone like Murray who fully grew up in it. But we all saw Giannis break down a couple of years ago and party all night and eat 50 Chick-fil-A nuggets. I remember Dirk couldn’t even stay on the court as time expired, he had to go collect himself in the tunnel before rejoining everyone. I guess Joker is just a fully unique dude, cool as a cucumber even in the biggest moment of his life. I dunno if we’ll ever see another guy win the dang Finals MVP and barely lift the trophy off the table. I for one am on board with it. You do you, Big Honey. The job is done, and now you can go home

Throwing Murray into the pool is way more the kind of celebration antics I would expect

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

RaySmuckles posted:

Not saying they would all be Jokic, but how many more rando 47th picks would turn into really good players if they had a supported and consistent coach and system to grow with for 7 years?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

The Glumslinger posted:

Throwing Murray into the pool is way more the kind of celebration antics I would expect
i think he's probably more outgoing in smaller settings when there aren't a billion cameras and mics around, and he really just seemed exhausted more than anything after the game

also I think he really loves playing basketball so maybe he was sad there's a long time until basketball again

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1668669603852222464?s=20

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Riven posted:

Not saying they would all be Jokic, but how many more rando 47th picks would turn into really good players if they had a supported and consistent coach and system to grow with for 7 years?

Anywhere from 0 to maybe 1

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Nuggets made the right call getting rid of Nurkic, huh?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Congrats to Reggie Jackson on his ring.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

Giannis has an insane life story driving him and Dirk had been in the league twice as long, failing to reach the mountaintop with teams that were much better on paper than the 2011 Expendables rear end squad. Jokic didn't even want to come to America apparently but played so badly in front of Barcelona scouts that he had to come over.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

Espn pissed off they can't run taco bell ads during the second round anymore

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Strawberry Panda posted:

Nuggets made the right call getting rid of Nurkic, huh?

He was no Jokíc

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I think it’s more of a personality difference than a Serbian thing. His brothers are Serbian too, and they care deeply about the Nuggets winning a ring.

What Jokic seems to value is like

9999999th: personal accomplishment

4th: not losing
3rd: his teammates’ success in what they value
2nd: family
1st: Horse

I read him throwing Jamal into the pool as celebrating Jamal after all he’s been through

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Riven posted:

Lets see, at 41 you Jokic, Cuttino Mobley, and ummm, Jodie Meeks

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Imagining Reggie Jackson going around all day in compression tights and goggles like when they pulled Roger Murdock out of the cockpit in airplane and he was wearing Lakers shorts and kneepads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Miami would've won if they played Nikola Jovic