Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Some people are less expressive than others. Jokic just had one of the best seasons/playoff runs in a long time, no need to psychoanalyze his "commitment" to the game/team. He just showed beyond a doubt that his heart's in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
If the M Bison gif summarized the Mavs 2011 run, what do you think fits Jokic and the Nuggets?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Riven posted:

Not saying they would all be Jokic, but how many more rando 47th picks would turn into really good players if they had a supported and consistent coach and system to grow with for 7 years?
You were never making it to the league.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
The pool toss was cool, I forgot about that. I guess he’s just completely selfless / opens up in more private settings. But more importantly

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Taco bell should sign jokic to an endorsement deal and then in all the ads cover him up like mike wizowski

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/MichaelErlerSBN/status/1668656623638937600?s=20

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Some people are less expressive than others. Jokic just had one of the best seasons/playoff runs in a long time, no need to psychoanalyze his "commitment" to the game/team. He just showed beyond a doubt that his heart's in it.

Plus he looks totally unathletic and this deep of a playoff run was probably traumatic for his soft round body

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Lmao

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is Jokic any worse then Larry Bird? Bird had to be dragged into engaging with the crowds/media and spent the entire off season in his home town playing on a outdoor court next to his mother's house in a town of 300 people.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Bird had personality, Duncan feels like the better comp. Horse = starcraft / custom car shop

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Being a celebrity in the United States seems really awful and exhausting in a ton of ways. I'm surprised more athletes don't try and go for more privacy in their personal lives, especially since the contracts have gotten so much bigger and there is less need to seek additional streams of income via endorsements.

Kawhi, Jrue Holliday are others that come to mind. Impeccable, unquestionable ballers, with many people who vouch for being great friends and teammates, and just largely do not give a poo poo what the world think and says about them outside of their personal circles.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i think jokic just sees himself as a dude who plays a game for a living and not a guy Building Legacies or whatever and probably doesnt feel like the media has any real reason or right to share in the joy he has with his teammates.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Denver has their starting five under contract for next two seasons. Braun looks to be a rotation player. They have #37 and #40 this year, followed with two first in next year draft. They are probably the most sustainable looking champions since the 2015 or 2017 warriors. I guess the Bucks looked pretty good with 3 guys in their primes but they had more draft capital out the door with the Holiday trade.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Horseracing has also been more culturally accepted for all of written history while adults playing videogames... hasn't.

Duncan's love of videogames and comic books would have been more celebrated if he'd started his career in the 2010s.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

one time a team I captained won something and everyone was weirded out that I was mostly stoneface and it was mostly because I really believed we should have won and so my feeling was just pure relief and satisfaction that the job was done. It was only the next day that I really felt joy.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah i mean jokic has a basketball foresight, he probably knew by the end of game 1 how everything would play out so he's not gonna be all shocked

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

Taco bell should sign jokic to an endorsement deal and then in all the ads cover him up like mike wizowski

I was shocked there was no taco bell Jokic ad during the finals

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zogo posted:

‘Drugs made him think he was in a real fight’: Pros react to Conor McGregor reportedly sending Miami Heat mascot to ER
https://sports.yahoo.com/drugs-made-him-think-real-011804345.html
It's a man in a monster costume but for 50 seconds it feels really real

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Normalize shaming players for not entering dunk contests, normalize dunk contest champ being criteria for goat and HOF status. It should def be worth more than all star selections.
https://twitter.com/ScoopB/status/1668247108309118977?s=20
Your king is a false god as far as I'm concerned. Sorry knights.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I remember when he promised to enter the dunk contest and lied. You're no goat if you don't care about cool dunks.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zogo posted:

‘Drugs made him think he was in a real fight’: Pros react to Conor McGregor reportedly sending Miami Heat mascot to ER
https://sports.yahoo.com/drugs-made-him-think-real-011804345.html

Another :ms:.

That's why I wouldn't get into a fight with any pro fighter. We live in a world where a random person can deliver a deadly punch. Nobody without training knows how to take a punch from a legit pro. Even a joke punch from a pro could be devastating.

There are a lot of people who've never been punched in the face so they don't understand the potential pain.

I fear that Jimmy Butler needs to score 60+ points tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDqBRhNEgsc

hadn't seen the video for this. Unreal :lol:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
GOAT list
MJ
Vince Carter
Dwight Howard
Julius Erving
Dominique Wilkins
Cedric Ceballos
J Rich
Spud Webb
Nate Rob
Blake Griffin
Harold Miner
Brent Barry
Kobe Bryant

??? Lebron

Lebron could've taken the lead with the dunk contest with a whole new generation of stars and I'll never forgive him!!!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Absolutely shocked to discover that I am cooler than Lebron James. "Dunk champ was not a goal of mine." Accountant for the Mormon church level lame.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Playoff Prediction Winners announced!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029458&pagenumber=11#post532492429

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
dank nuggets

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly surprised they just let the Open Floor brand die and merged with Mannix. Too bad.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Maybe Jokic is giving all his commercials to Boban

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

morestuff posted:

Duncan feels like the better comp. Horse = starcraft / custom car shop

This comp (and the entire “What do we do with a Star who doesn’t care about being a Star” discourse around Jokic) feels insanely off base and I’m struggling to understand what’s motivating it. Duncan’s deal wasn’t just being a boring guy; he was also the epitome of the boring-but-excellent basketball player on the ultimate boring-but-competent basketball team. The Dynasty Spurs sucked to watch in the eyes of a sizable chunk of the audience (at least until they became the outside-shooting beautiful game Spurs of the 2010s).

Obviously Jokic doesn’t have a traditional superstar game but he’s worlds apart from Duncan; his entire game is based on offensive skill and dazzling passes and how-does-he-make-that-work shots and drives. He’s very fun to watch and so are the Nuggets.

Also like…Jokic as a no-personality guy is also just totally incongruous with reality to me? And this isn’t just a Kawhi-style “If you follow the league really closely and stitch together a few short clips taken over the span of several years, this quiet guy is actually kind of a funny weirdo” situation. He’s a giant goofy guy from another country who’s forthcoming in interviews and has several quirks that make him a unique superstar; presenting him as a compelling figure should be the easiest thing in the world because he is a genuinely compelling figure! People got a ton of mileage out of watching him do post-game interviews and celebrations yesterday! Just because he’s not a rah-rah I Love To Win guy or isn’t in a bunch of commercials doesn’t mean he’s boring

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If jokic looked all weird and ogre-like like boban he'd probably be more popular

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

temple posted:

You were never making it to the league.

Well yeah that would have required me to play organized ball at like any point in my life.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah, I think Jokic is cool as hell.

Shear Modulus posted:

Taco Bell should sign Jokic to an endorsement deal and then he never shows up in his own commercials. He might be down for it, since that means he doesn't have to take time out of his Horse to film.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm legit amazed at Bobans ability to grab the bag playing a steinbeckian moron character for advertising

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm legit amazed at Bobans ability to grab the bag playing a steinbeckian moron character for advertising

I'm waiting for the inevitable announcement of a Princess Bride remake where he's playing Fezzik.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Normalize shaming players for not entering dunk contests, normalize dunk contest champ being criteria for goat and HOF status. It should def be worth more than all star selections.
https://twitter.com/ScoopB/status/1668247108309118977?s=20
Your king is a false god as far as I'm concerned. Sorry knights.

To be the real goat you have to go out there and do the same set of dunks several years in a row.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

Idk (idc) about the media reaction, I just find it fascinating how little Jokic seemed to be affected by winning. He was clearly happy and very proud to share the moment with his family (especially carrying his daughter everywhere awww) but also clearly much more reserved/detatched than a guy like Murray, whose reaction was awesome but also way more typical. Jokic said the bare minimum in his interview, he loitered toward the back of the stage on the court, he even seemed frustrated that he had to stay a few more days for the parade! Honestly if I were a Nuggets fan I might be annoyed that he seems to care less than I do about him winning. But that’d be on me, he gets to react however he wants.

Instinctually you want to assume it’s a cultural thing, like growing up in Europe and having America/the NBA be a world away makes it natural for him to care less than someone like Murray who fully grew up in it. But we all saw Giannis break down a couple of years ago and party all night and eat 50 Chick-fil-A nuggets. I remember Dirk couldn’t even stay on the court as time expired, he had to go collect himself in the tunnel before rejoining everyone. I guess Joker is just a fully unique dude, cool as a cucumber even in the biggest moment of his life. I dunno if we’ll ever see another guy win the dang Finals MVP and barely lift the trophy off the table. I for one am on board with it. You do you, Big Honey. The job is done, and now you can go home
Another thing to consider is that he's probably exhausted, he basically just pissed excellence for about 100 games, often doing EVERYTHING the team needed while Murray was out

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Early odds for 2024 championship

pre:
Full opening 2024 NBA title odds, via BetMGM

Nuggets: +500
Celtics: +550
Bucks: +600
Suns: +850
Mavericks/Warriors/Lakers: +1200
Clippers/76ers: +1400
Grizzlies/Heat: +2000
Cavaliers: +2500
Kings: +3000
Pelicans: +3500
Knicks: +4000
Timberwolves/Hawks/Thunder: +6600
Raptors: +8000
Nets/Rockets/Trail Blazers: +10000
Bulls: +12500
Jazz/Magic/Wizards/Pacers: +15000
Spurs: +20000
Hornets/Pistons: +50000
Heat getting no love despite JUST playing in the Finals.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Lockback posted:

Early odds for 2024 championship

pre:
Full opening 2024 NBA title odds, via BetMGM

Nuggets: +500
Celtics: +550
Bucks: +600
Suns: +850
Mavericks/Warriors/Lakers: +1200
Clippers/76ers: +1400
Grizzlies/Heat: +2000
Cavaliers: +2500
Kings: +3000
Pelicans: +3500
Knicks: +4000
Timberwolves/Hawks/Thunder: +6600
Raptors: +8000
Nets/Rockets/Trail Blazers: +10000
Bulls: +12500
Jazz/Magic/Wizards/Pacers: +15000
Spurs: +20000
Hornets/Pistons: +50000
Heat getting no love despite JUST playing in the Finals.

Mavs look way too high

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The mavs are loving dogshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shear Modulus posted:

Mavs look way too high

Mavs and Lakers both look like typical Vegas odds for fanbases with too much money