Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

His stock has been going down for a week or so. Wondering if that jab from Paul about "others investing too much time on software rather than manufacturing" got to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I mean FoodFight was originally going to look better and it had a lot of star power, but most of the animation getting stolen didn't help.

But then again, there's productions with that sort of push all over the place. Just look at this HBO fairytale cartoon wikipedia entry and you'll see all sorts of really surprising names.

Why yes, the Chicken Little adaptation has Rudy Gulliani, Alan Dershowitz, the lawyer that got OJ out and Henry Kissinger all doing voices on this.

Kunster has issued a correction as of 15:37 on Apr 11, 2023

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Masta is still going, I know quite a bunch of people who are still there and a bunch are still there because of the api change.

Same with Co-host as well, but that's more of a "I need a lighter lj-type thing where I'm not being followed by the world" sort of deal rather than a twitter equivalent.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It's what people wanted in a way, but it doesn't have the sheer giant audience of around a decade and half twitter had. It won't Kill twitter, but its good if you want something less intense. It's like saying that a state tv channel broadcasting farm news and docs is a failure because it doesn't have the same intensity of Imjarons's TikTok channel.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Which lead to nearly everyone muting or blocking that, which I guess the small interaction of going to their profile to do that is enough to poke a bit to it, but it sorta fades away as time goes. On both accounts.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I use a phone so not my problem I suppose. See we just have to press one spot on start up.

Oh yeah, for a bit it would flip you to the you tab if you clicked the following button twice. There was that time it froze, but if you used the 2g complaint mobile site it would still work as well.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

500 good dogs posted:

they didn't even levy the fine, it's bad reporting

It's more of a warning, and its a combination between the lack of crackdown on Holocaust Denial and Circles not fully being private under the pretense of being private. For now, they're giving the chance for Elon and his mod team to go to Bonn to further elaborate on their procedures. Now if they don't pop there for the court hearing, then yes a fine of that size COULD be levied.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

That guy has been around for quite a while!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

On lighter news:

https://twitter.com/RabbitEveryHour/status/1647711461999878145

If you have pic bots like (animal)everyhour or so on your following list, they're still gonna be around.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

thank god the bots are back

I think explicit ones that are like "You're getting a neat video of a raccoon chilling once every hour or so on your feed" are a delight.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

I'm never really sure what to do when some twitter person I follow is obviously having a depressive break. I feel guilty for not doing anything, but if I was depression posting on twitter the last thing I would want is some grossly unqualified amateur like me trying to be helpful.

If you know that person somewhere else like a telegram or whatasapp contact, I'd poke them about them. Otherwise, sometimes people have separate accounts for certain kinds of moods, and this was before Twitter Circles was a thing.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if you live in japan then mr elon musk will pay you to make content for twitter

This was announced to a larger public, like one of my US pals specifically got this on their feed.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

shyduck posted:

NWS's websites are kinda crap. They all have the same dated visual format, but even worse is every regional office puts things in different places. Thankfully a lot of their real time warning graphics are integrated with apps like Radarscope, which is relatively easy to use

Is it at least functional? I remember having to use some data from them a decade ago and their site was reasonable, no ads and the like in sight.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I just remember it loading quickly and being up during the govt shutdown, which served my needs at the time since I needed some imagery of tides in the North Atlantic.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nitter search is still up, so it's probably just main site based.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

That's a boilerplate "By posting this on this website, you're granting us permission to have this sent as a post on our website that others can view." Nearly every social media and da-type site has this somewhere on the user agreement.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

spanky the dolphin posted:

I loved the SA Super Hornio thread years ago. That reminds me, I heard the Hulk Hogan meat shoe actually existed? Can anyone confirm?

The Hulk Hogan shoes were from a comedy sketch, which later on the op confirmed that's where they remembered it from.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Aw, the EmojiTetra account was suspended. For those unfamiliar with it, it was a twitter-poll driven game of Tetris where everyone would vote on how to move the pieces, and it was this fun mild-interaction you could do for a while.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Being told to Block The Blue over some long term effect on twitter is dubious, but having some of the most insuffferable people popping around like mushrooms on comments like that? Why wouldn't you mass mute or block them? At least the ones that are acting like it, not people like Massimo or Justin Whang.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I don't remember if I post this on either thread, but I remember a good while ago when Elon posted a playlist of music he liked, and all of them were classical music save for one track, which was Andrea Boccelli's Time To Say Goodbye, and that was probably like one of the only moments I've seen him put out something not clouded by a floating funko pop or some sort of world spanning sentiment but rather "Yeah, I believe a 50 year old sorta-European guy would put that particular song on his playlist, specially if he was like 30 or so when he heard it for the first time."

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Any time these guys whine about Soros you'll see people in the replies lying about Soros being a Nazi collaborator they're not mad that he's a billionaire or how he got his money.

Which makes the Magneto comparison even sillier, specially given how both his character is seen in better light nowadays and how the inspiration for the main conflict between X and Magneto had been disproven this month, what with the article showing that MLK didn't have beef with Malcolm X.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Edit: I thought it was, but apparently it's between Ben Gurion and Menachem Begin?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh no I ain't leaving this on a goofing fashion since this could lead to Musk helping the publishers eat the Internet Archive alive. That person is right and that's based on a misconception about IA not removing stuff if requested. I tried getting the X-Entertainment archives, which used to be big back in the day, and ended up noticing that they were removed under request.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

This isn't being written in a Russophobic lens, it's more of an ongoing bit about twitter becoming x, the everything app, and VK being indeed an easy den of that sort of stuff.

And I mean, once every few days someone dumps a whole flick there (From the Mario movie to the Super Hornio movie), so it's not a lie to go on how it's easy to do that sort of stuff there, isn't it?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Why is he trying to pin the service crashing with an overload of people in, when the PlayStation announcement of the MGS3 remake had multiple times more viewers and went well?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

+

https://twitter.com/Jason_Garcia/status/1661882680621821953

Looks like it's a good week for the guy. Hey another state where he can mess up shooting rockets without getting sued for!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

He's also going to try a google cloud shutdown today to play for a potential server migration, so there's indeed a possibility this might go down.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Vishass posted:

LOL aren't all search suggestions down because he turned them off after he couldn't figure out how to stop that feature from suggesting videos of extreme animal cruelty

There's some mild ones, but yeah "Blender" is disabled as an example.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nitter still works!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

If embeds are broken everywhere I guess I can turn strict mode on for firefox again, so that's nice.

So, do you think this is one of those bad decisions that elon will flip flop on in a couple of days or one of the ones he's going to stubbornly stick to, where are you putting your money?

Just append "nitter.net" instead of "twitter.com" and it should still work. They don't do embeds, but you can still look at stuff thru there. I've been reposting some stuff on other places and will use nitter.net just to preserve the aspect and so that anything new twitter doesn't bleed to it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

ELTON JOHN posted:

lol ya sure i'll just type the url of my favorite sports website into the internet explorer search bar

LinkRings will have to become a thing again if you want that.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I used to that nearly 20 years ago, just have a bunch of small places I'd recommend, but amusingly I'd get the feedback that if people were looking at those, there wouldn't be much discussion about it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

For those that are like "Ok I really, really don't want to go get a twitter, but there are like a few people I'm cool with hearing from there", someone on the github for nitter came up with this idea so you can just shove some people you like on a rss feed instead of having to register an account and having to handle the whole enchilada.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

can't recall details but the secret ending leads you to a video of him stumbling around his house that was supposed to be like, oh the perils and hardship of a game developer, but everyone only remembers the piss jug

The final stage where you save the princess shows that she's trying to get away from you rather than trying to reach you, yeah.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I just realized that on this weekend, he would have a good excuse and story to distract everyone with the launch of the Euclid sattelite, which used a Falcon booster to launch. A previous media team could have said something like "Right now, he's handling the launch of something that will better help us understand the universe, and thus his social media venture has taken a secondary plane here". Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if someone a bit more mainstream could easily spin that for him.

Nope, instead he's doing "ah, touch grass" poo poo. That's DeSantis-media-team level nonsense, not "Wait, scientists could look up to me" nonsense.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Twitter is outright the only place in the Portuguese sphere that at least has coverage about the french riots that is not "We should turn the rioters into the Stalkers from HL2 for embarrassing the great republic".

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Someone on the comments proposed painting the whole building black (or even coating it in Vantablack) and I can just picture that particular side of SF getting way, way warmer bc of that.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

I hope Musk breaks in to Zucc's compound, and while defending himself Zucc slices elom in half with his stupid lightsaber knife he uses to slaughter goats before undercooking them and serving them to guests.

Hold up, didn't the laser gun here turned out to be a cattle prod?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

the milk machine posted:

good to know the bad stuff isn't on the web site. love the web site.

Also the blender thing was "fixed" by muting the results about blender, so if you wanna see if someone made a shader that looks like old japanese cartoon cel sunrise images, you have to actually catch the post on your feed rather than search for it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

elon musk will be selling twitter to the EU

That would be a net positive, given their better handling of copyright than american-based companies. Less "You must remove this specific video because it used like 5 seconds of the Nintendo Mario theme" stuff and would be more compliant with Internet Archive type systems.