Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I cannot loving believe that somebody has chosen to air reruns of ALF. They chose this! Somebody thought this would be a good thing.

In the six minutes of Alf that I’ve been here for, Alf has said I Love You and I Love Him at least four times. Is the premise of this show that Alf is a lonely heart romantic? I have never seen Alf and am more familiar with his Pog form. Can somebody advise me on what to expect going forward? Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Alfs younger brother is hiding under the bed right now. Alf just walked into the room and said “I want to savor you” to everyone.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the guy who plays the father in that show later went on to have a very successful crack addiction

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
He looks like a Dean or maybe a provost.

Another episode just started. This is an hourlong block of Alf! Wtf

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Alf is hunched over at the living room table. It looks like he is rolling a j.

The mom character is pregnant. I’m assuming that Alf is going to deliver the baby.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
All I remember about Alf is he likes to eat cats and therefore I am not a fan

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

the guy who plays the father in that show later went on to have a very successful crack addiction

Its a lifestyle, not an addiction

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

What the gently caress is Alf doing at the auto shop OP?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Dixville posted:

All I remember about Alf is he likes to eat cats and therefore I am not a fan

I always wonder who the target audience was for that.

Do people you may have known, kids in school, parents, just known not to talk about it, and ALF and being able to talk about it was like the only time they ever got to find each other in society.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

ALF means Alien Life Form op :)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

What the gently caress is Alf doing at the auto shop OP?

So far he’s talking about tv a lot and setting a stopwatch to time how long it takes the dad to get out of bed. Oh and saying vaguely menacing things implying he wants to either devour or gently caress the entire family.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

MrQwerty posted:

ALF means Alien Life Form op :)

Thank you

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Alf passed out at the foot of the crib and now there’s a baby here. Will he eat the baby?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVmCStGsoEU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZERfeh7n4Q

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
He ate the baby I think. I wasn’t paying attention

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
You seemly to be grossly misinterpreting the running gag about Alf wanting to eat the cat, OP

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Bismack Billabongo posted:

He ate the baby I think. I wasn’t paying attention

Jim ate the baby of Alf

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
It's no Night Court, that's for goddrat sure.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
When Jim laid his first Garfeild and Alf ate it

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

ALF is something I was obsessed with as an ‘80s kid. Had an ALF lunchbox and watched the show and Saturday morning cartoon as much as I could.

I imagine if I were to revisit it it now it would be astonishingly terrible. It’s been so long I only recall a few things:

Gordon Shumway was his name
He ate cats, which I hated about him
His planet Melmac was destroyed in nuclear warfare
Something about Willie’s actor and crack-cocaine in the tabloids

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I vaguely remember the Alf cartoon. I think I liked it. Maybe there was an episode with a 'say no to drugs' message?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Alf is cool because Alf eats a lot of pussy.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

You know, I don't think I've ever seen a rerun of Alf, not even at the peak of mining nostalgia TV when TV Land was getting going. When I was a kid, the local thrift stores were full of stuffed Alfs and, like, rejected Alf coloring books, but the actual TV show? Never seen it.

The only exception might be that one bizarre "don't do drugs" Saturday morning cartoon crossover special they decided all elementary school kids had to watch circa 1991-92.

e: yep, there it is
vvv

istewart fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 10, 2023

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I vaguely remember the Alf cartoon. I think I liked it. Maybe there was an episode with a 'say no to drugs' message?

You’re probably thinking of Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue. ALF’s animated version was in that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0-vGW6p3zk

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

The nosy neighbor was named Mrs. Ockmonick. That’s my best phonetic attempt to spell it.

He couldn’t repair his spaceship because just like many car owners, he had no idea how any of it worked. “I just turn the key and it goes” says Alf.

His catchphrase was “HA!”

In one episode Willy bought a talking toaster. It would say “toast toasting” in a monotone robot voice. Alf stuck some whole fish in the toaster.

Occasionally if they needed to show Alf’s whole body he would be a little actor in a suit instead of a puppet which i found hilarious.

naem
May 29, 2011

they took normality for granted in that era of television

like, family sitcoms existed and were such an established thing that you could make literally anything into a tv show with that format

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

When Hulu was very new there were some episodes of Alf. I tried watching one because I remembered liking it as a kid. I was astonished by how completely unfunny it was. Just a void of humor. Like the only “joke” was he wanted to eat the cat.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Apparently the set of Alf was a death trap as it was elevated and had trap doors everywhere for the puppeteer to use. The cast also absolutely hated it, as filming each 30 minute episode took over 20 hours due to technical challenges, and they were all ultimately co-stars to a puppet.

When they filmed the last scene of the last episode, there was one take, then Max Wright, who played the father, walked off the set, went to his dressing room, got his stuff, and left without talking to anyone as he hated working on that show so much.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 10, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The_Franz posted:

Apparently the set of Alf was a death trip as it was elevated and had trap doors everywhere for the puppeteer to use. The cast also absolutely hated it, as filming each 30 minute episode took over 20 hours due to technical challenges, and they were all ultimately co-stars to a puppet.

that's why Max Wright started whoring himself out for crack in traphouses

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
who among us

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
i put my rx7 back on the road today op. thinking to take it for a spin later mayhaps

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i put my rx7 back on the road today op. thinking to take it for a spin later mayhaps

wankel go RRRRRR but what does that have to do with ALF (Alien Life Form)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
i read auto shjop and immediately thought of my rotary which has frequent mechanical needs

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Wasn't ALF super-popular in its heyday for some reason, like the biggest show on TV for awhile

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Alf drove a RX7 in season 6

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
if so that seems weird

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Saalkin posted: