Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

alf was a big mazda guy, as established earlier in the thread
Yeah, Alf knows what's up.

engine was flooded, cranked er til it fired up and blew a big blast of 0 emissions restrictions white cloud out the tail pipe. tires were low pressure, filled em up and went for a rip. runs mint, aside from a newly developed oil leak
As long as the apex seals are inside the engine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
isn't there a ALF reference in an X-com game like bradford says the address or something?

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

You're close. X-Com is an anagram for Alf.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
alFX-7-com

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
noone correct me on if this is right or not. but alf always seemed like a lesser harry and the hendersons.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Pitdragon posted:

So what he just devours cats whole while the family he lives with watches on? What power does Alf have over them? Do they just hate cats?

IIRC it was a running joke to have him chasing cats but I don’t think he ever actually catches one on the show.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

IIRC it was a running joke to have him chasing cats but I don’t think he ever actually catches one on the show.

Oh, so it's a wile e coyote and roadrunner scenario. Still, what a twisted trait for a children's sitcom star to have. Anyway, thanks for saving me the trouble of watching Alf to figure this out.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

who is alf's target demographic

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

ask your mommy and daddy

how about i ask your mommy and daddy tough guy :mad:

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

numberoneposter posted:

who is alf's target demographic

80's TV shows didn't have target demographics. The networks just put whatever on the air and people watched it because there was no cable, video games, or internet.

naem
May 29, 2011

there used to be like, 4 channels

you could watch show or, other show

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Pitdragon posted:

Oh, so it's a wile e coyote and roadrunner scenario. Still, what a twisted trait for a children's sitcom star to have. Anyway, thanks for saving me the trouble of watching Alf to figure this out.

It was on at 8pm so more of “family” sitcom than a kids show. I used to watch it with my grandparents when my parents had a date night.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Most of the time I used to watch ALF alone (yay, latchkey kids!) or seldom with my older sister because my mom was in a bowling league on Monday nights and my dad was usually deployed somewhere with the Air National Guard.

It was suitable enough for a family viewing, but was definitely aiming for kids. Thus, the Saturday morning cartoon that followed a short while after.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Mummy don't know daddy's watching Alf
At the body shop
Doing something Fuscoly

cheezel
Feb 23, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EbwV3_2GqM

I had this on tape.

Might rock out after work with my Alf toy I picked up for a song at a second-hand shop 20 years ago.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i wasn't allowed to watch Alf as a kid and when I asked why many years later my mom told me it was just because she hated alf and thought he was annoying lol

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Revins posted:

Wasn't ALF super-popular in its heyday for some reason, like the biggest show on TV for awhile

Yes, it was really big but also kinda dropped off really fast near the end. They've tried to bring ALF back a couple times but it's sorta failed to gain a foothold. I think is another attempt too at the moment for one of the streaming services but don't quote me on that.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Alf was a hosed up show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZERfeh7n4Q

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Kendall Roy’s real father looking bad

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

As a kid I thought that if I lived with ALF that I'd let him know that if he ate my cat I'd loving kill him.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Tarkus posted:

As a kid I thought that if I lived with ALF that I'd let him know that if he ate my cat I'd loving kill him.

:same:

It’s the one thing I hated about ALF.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

You Are A Elf posted:

:same:

It’s the one thing I hated about ALF.
the fly in the ALF ointment if you will

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
Alf

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I can't believe how disrespectful you're all being to the American institution and work of art that is ALF.

This guy gets it.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

American Life Form

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BTRlkj01oc

Always loved this ep

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
There are two things I remember specifically about ALF. And looking now it turns out they're from the same scene.

"What's going on out there!?!"
"Nothing. Just screaming".

"Interesting concept".

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

I was thinking 'why did they cast a 25y.o. to play a teenager' watching this clip, but apparently she was probably like 19-20 here. The 'people just used to look older' thing is real.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 15, 2023

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

is there an Alf funko

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

No, but there is a significant ALF community demanding one

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Permanent Midnight had an "Alf" stand-in character as part of the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsmsMeT8EYs

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The Ultimate ALF Wiki: ALF Expanded Universe

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Alien Life Form Cinematic Universe when

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

the more i learn about this Alf character the more i dont care for him

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

the more i learn about this Alf character the more i dont care for him

That's Gordon Shumway to you buddy

Edit: lol

quote:

Due to the series becoming popular with children, ALF didn't drink any alcohol after the first season,[5] because NBC thought it made him a bad role model for children.[3] ALF is also known to try to eat cats, including the Tanner family cat, Lucky,[6] this later stopped after an episode in which ALF tried to microwave Lucky caused a child to try and microwave their own cat.[3][5] Also, the episode "Try to Remember", depicted ALF using an electric mixer in a bathtub, and getting amnesia, which caused a child to attempt this and nearly electrocute himself. The episode was then edited for all future airings, with ALF slipping in the shower instead causing the amnesia.[3] The episode also began with a PSA featuring ALF explaining the dangers of such actions.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I read the actor for alf drove the other actors on set mad, uncompromising tyrant.