Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Al Jaffee (one of the Mad Magazine OGs, inventor of the Fold-In) just died at 102.

https://twitter.com/Hoganmag/status/1645519622668427264

Use this thread to talk about how Mad Magazine was really funny when you were a kid but then started to suck when you entered your teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TRAINS
Feb 13, 2023

by vyelkin
aids?

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
マッドマガジン

Maddomagajin

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
drat, and so young too. :smith:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ask Jeeves died??

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

why is it that when some public figure dies, we make a thread about it in gbs? is this really necessary? mad magazine is for baby boomers.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hell Yeah posted:

why is it that when some public figure dies, we make a thread about it in gbs? is this really necessary? mad magazine is for baby boomers.

Cockbarf died

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Hell Yeah posted:

Hell.. No?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Hell Yeah posted:

I'm a zoomer and I was entranced by Mad Magazine until Tump got elected and they stopped having to be clever

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Glitched out

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hell Yeah posted:

see if you get one with that attitude

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Thanks reaper mutant

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Your obit is the chance for everyone to go "i hated that fucker" and do a little dance.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK6xE-9sdII

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Which caliphate did he run?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the cause of death? he cared too deeply.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Word is that he was blasting this on his deathbed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqsbkeKez6E

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Hey we got an opening for this gbs obituary writer niche, op are you actively not a piece of poo poo?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Hey we got an opening for this gbs obituary writer niche, op are you actively not a piece of poo poo?

OP is a transvestigator

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

drat op you didn't have a clever fold in thread title prepared for this event?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

The Voice of Labor posted:

drat op you didn't have a clever fold in thread title prepared for this event?

folded in, it would be "Al Died". rip king

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
What, me worry?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

I like this.

I liked Al Jaffee.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
paying my respects

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

What up dollar store death mouse

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

MAD meant a lot to me as an X-ennial or whatever the gently caress they call people born in 1980 and it was good until Bill Gaines died and ads started showing up.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

I'm passively not a piece of poo poo

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

You don’t know that

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Konar posted:

see if you get one with that attitude

yes my point is that it is more dignified to die and not have people in gbs post about. like oh, isn't that interesting? hell yeah died. well i'll be. THE HELL YEAH DIED MEGATHREAD (pgs 1....999,000)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope to live to 102

God I'll be in such agony

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Blech!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Hell Yeah posted:

your childhood was poo poo if you didnt get a mad magazine in exchange for being helpful, especially at the grocery store

also if you did not get demo discs from pc gamer, your childhood: poo poo as well

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
one hundred and two? more like one hundred and poo :smugbert:

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Booty Pageant posted:

one hundred and two? more like one hundred and poo :smugbert:

man, "bumhundred and poo" was right there

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Shinjobi posted:

I hope to live to 102

God I'll be in such agony

I can't even imagine being alive for half that time, let alone being a senior citizen for longer than I've currently been alive

Your Family
Feb 18, 2023

Honestly, the amount of work and pre-thought to make those fold-ins is honestly genius. I logistically could never do that month after month.

We're only here to un-do the damage you've done to our family name.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Your Family posted:

Honestly, the amount of work and pre-thought to make those fold-ins is honestly genius. I logistically could never do that month after month.

Each one was painted on masonite board, so could not actually be folded. Jaffe had to plan every one really carefully, because checking the final product was basically impossible until it was too late. He did one for every single monthly (and quarterly) issue but one.

As the resident boomer, I really liked Mad Magazine, and was saddened when it folded. I'll miss Al's talents.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Well, that sucks. RIP. Is Aragones now the only one left out of the usual gang of idiots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Chemical Ali was executed by hanging on 25 January 2010. While he was sentenced to death on four separate occasions, the original 2007 verdict sentenced him to five death sentences, and so the combined tally of death sentences handed out was eight