Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

flubber nuts posted:

Chemical Ali was executed by hanging on 25 January 2010. While he was sentenced to death on four separate occasions, the original 2007 verdict sentenced him to five death sentences, and so the combined tally of death sentences handed out was eight

What about his pal Genie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

The Cubelodyte posted:

Well, that sucks. RIP. Is Aragones now the only one left out of the usual gang of idiots?

Pretty much. Had a chance to talk to him once. His dad was a movie producer and he used Sergio (who was a child at the time) as a stunt double whenever Sheena, Queen of the Jungle needed to do something dangerous.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

mutantIke posted:

I'm passively not a piece of poo poo

Scour the web for dead has-beens, sharecropper.

Chop chop

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

mutantIke posted:

Al Jaffee (one of the Mad Magazine OGs, inventor of the Fold-In) just died at 102.

https://twitter.com/Hoganmag/status/1645519622668427264

Use this thread to talk about how Mad Magazine was really funny when you were a kid but then started to suck when you entered your teens.

hope he's okay

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mad magazine was my favourite as a kid, the used book stores would be stuffed with them.

Al Jaffee, Sergio Aragones and Don Martin were all so drat talented.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Genesplicer posted:

As the resident boomer, I really liked Mad Magazine, and was saddened when it folded. I'll miss Al's talents.

Weird choice of words for a thread celebrating the art of the fold…

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

The german branch of MAD was very popular and good at its peak (70s-80s), mostly thanks to chief editor Herbert Feuerstein who did a great job making the often very american-specific jokes relatable and funny to a german audience.
Al Jaffee, Dave Berg, Paul Coker, Don Martin & Sergio Aragones were all incredible. RIP to a legend.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

TRAINS posted:

aids?

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a train.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ehhh

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

testtubebaby posted:

Weird choice of words for a thread celebrating the art of the fold…

:thejoke: I assume anyway

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
New kids on a blechk

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

that's a bummer, I loved my MAD mag subscription when I was a kid. I remembered the tiny little cartoon doodles they'd sneak in here and there between the 'frames' or w/e they were called.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Cracked was better anyways

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Justin Godscock posted:

no it was NOT cracked SUCKED

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

That's not even trolling, just people looking at you pityingly

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

meat police posted:

that's a bummer, I loved my MAD mag subscription when I was a kid. I remembered the tiny little cartoon doodles they'd sneak in here and there between the 'frames' or w/e they were called.

the gutters

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Justin Godscock posted:

I spent a few years of my childhood thinking this but it was because I wasn’t yet sophisticated enough to appreciate Mad’s higher-brow humor.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Just heard this. RIP, guy who maybe drew the first titties I ever saw.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Justin Godscock posted:

The website, for a few years. The magazine, never

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
now who's gonna draw cartoons in the margins of my favorite magazine?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

now who's gonna draw cartoons in the margins of my favorite magazine?

That's Sergio Aragones, who's still alive and also did "The Lighter Side Of" cartoons

Justin Godscock posted:

What's wrong with you?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Powerful Katrinka posted:

That's Sergio Aragones, who's still alive and also did "The Lighter Side Of" cartoons

there's also Don Martin. Mad Magazine used to be so fun

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Imagine what 102 smells like...

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

the lighter side of was DAVE BERG

GOD

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Genesplicer posted:

Each one was painted on masonite board, so could not actually be folded. Jaffe had to plan every one really carefully, because checking the final product was basically impossible until it was too late. He did one for every single monthly (and quarterly) issue but one.

As the resident boomer, I really liked Mad Magazine, and was saddened when it folded. I'll miss Al's talents.

The thing that really killed them was moving the main office to California from New York. After that it was an imitation of what it once was. It was already going downhill but that killed it. They needed that east coast edge. The magazine started with insanely talented and serious artists who finally got to screw around. When the staff is full of people who think they are funny it lacks a genuine bite.

That's why Cracked was so bad.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Darth Brooks posted:

The thing that really killed them was moving the main office to California from New York.

Now that simpsons episode about New York makes even less sense

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

i miss that magazine
$1.75
Cheap!

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

there's also Don Martin. Mad Magazine used to be so fun

don martin might have had the most inimitable style ever conceived

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Junk posted:

GOD

Damnit! Aragones did "A Mad Look At," I got them mixed up. "The Lighter Side Of" was always pretty good, too

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Damnit! Aragones did "A Mad Look At," I got them mixed up. "The Lighter Side Of" was always pretty good, too

get your poo poo together, Powerful Katrinka

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
besides the Fold-ins, Al came up with Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions, which is pretty much the reason why my best friend and I were such little wiseasses.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Stryder posted:

besides the Fold-ins, Al came up with Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions, which is pretty much the reason why my best friend and I were such little wiseasses.

:hmmyes:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

He's right you know

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Junk posted:

don martin might have had the most inimitable style ever conceived

POING

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Images that go hard:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Don Martin made the best onomatopoeias. Schplork!

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://harleystreetemporium.com/age-reversing-pill-sooner-think/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
^^^ What the gently caress is this?

Szyznyk posted:

MAD meant a lot to me as an X-ennial or whatever the gently caress they call people born in 1980 and it was good until Bill Gaines died and ads started showing up.
Yeah MAD was like the only cultural thing we could agree with Boomers on! Or in my case my Silent Generation parents even. I imagine the Greatest Generation was too out of touch already by the time it debuted to understand the concept of "silly parody" though.

Junk posted:

GOD
I loved Dave Berg comics because even as a kid I noticed the clothes his characters wore were always a good 10 years behind whatever people were actually wearing now. Unless that was a factor of reprints but I really do not think so

Also

I saw "potrzebie" in an actual Polish-developed video game once in a background image and I lost my goddamn mind