Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

KennyMan666 posted:

Been a bit since I played an ALttPR seed. Maybe I should do one for the thread. Especially since I do see that it got updated last month, the first update in over a year!

Do it. The thread demands it!

No seriously, it's only one run so far; that's really disappointing for what is explicitly intended as a megathread.

(Side note: If I had a microphone I might've contributed an FFMQ run by now; that's kind of my latest fascination.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

CptWedgie posted:

No seriously, it's only one run so far; that's really disappointing for what is explicitly intended as a megathread.

(Side note: If I had a microphone I might've contributed an FFMQ run by now; that's kind of my latest fascination.)

In theory there's nothing stopping you from doing a SSLP instead, as long as you're OK with losing the live reaction aspect! :justpost: imo

(Related: Watch this space)

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

CptWedgie posted:

I'm still working on mine, I'm just trying to make sure the audio is tolerable in an already janky Dark Soles experience.

I'd have SSLP'd it, but I've got enough typing on my hands as is.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Cattail Prophet posted:

In theory there's nothing stopping you from doing a SSLP instead, as long as you're OK with losing the live reaction aspect! :justpost: imo

(Related: Watch this space)
Fair enough; just gimme a bit to generate a seed and I'll get started.

...let's see if I remember how to do this; I mean, I don't remember it being complicated, but it has been a while since I posted anything LP-like (interestingly enough, it was another randomizer run for a megathread).

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yeah I would definitely be doing mine as a screenshot one. We'll see if I find the time to do it later in the week.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, turns out it was pretty much exactly as not-complicated as I remembered. Have a (surprisingly long relative to play time) SSLP post!

FFMQR 1-1, Earth region

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 24, 2023

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

Okay, turns out it was pretty much exactly as not-complicated as I remembered. Have a (surprisingly long relative to play time) SSLP post!

FFMQR, Earth region

Yay, Mystic Quest! Will you do any runs using different settings after this one?

... Also, that seed, wow. Now I'm expecting you to get Flare and/or White in the next chest. Sheesh. :)

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

jkq posted:

Yay, Mystic Quest! Will you do any runs using different settings after this one?

... Also, that seed, wow. Now I'm expecting you to get Flare and/or White in the next chest. Sheesh. :)
I might play around with the setting that mixes all the boxes around (i.e. that ammo chest in Foresta could be Flare in the next seed), yes.

And it's nice to see I'm not alone in being utterly astounded at how front-loaded this seed is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Unexpectedly early high-power seeds are very fun, hopefully it won't punish you for it later.

Or maybe it will, that'd be funny too. For us, the readers, specifically.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Have a video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3WeiYbokw8

Here's me playing a standard flags seed of DWR and talking over it. I'll also take some constructive criticism on the video itself to apply to future videos.
https://dwrandomizer.com/release/#flags=IVIAAVCAKACAAAAAAAAAAEAQ&seed=8994247777059430

Edit: I mentioned at the end wondering how close I got to seeing mountain cave and Kol earlier. After checking the tape I had both locations on screen right around the 8 minute mark. I died to a blue dragon as I was walking to them then managed to just never go back that way. So that's a definite mistake in the "trying to go fast" category. Getting the Armor early like that would have made everything way faster overall.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 19, 2023

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

CptWedgie posted:

FFMQR, Earth region

Skybilz, the hostess of the Randomizer-focused GDQ Hotfix show, has a joke about the three gifts at the start of a randomizer, and I think this qualifies! Hopefully the game doesn't string you along with a bunch of tier 1 and 2 stuff for a while.

Crumps Brother posted:

Have a video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3WeiYbokw8

Here's me playing a standard flags seed of DWR and talking over it. I'll also take some constructive criticism on the video itself to apply to future videos.
https://dwrandomizer.com/release/#flags=IVIAAVCAKACAAAAAAAAAAEAQ&seed=8994247777059430

I really appreciated your going back to record the look at what the hike over to the final dungeon and final boss was supposed to look like. I didn't even realize Dragon Warrior randomizer was a thing, so this was really cool to see demonstrated.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 1-2, Fire region (mostly)

Well, it's not as absurd as Earth was, but I'm still finding Tier 3 equipment, so I guess that "three gifts" thing is kind of disproven.

Side note: I had the screenshots for this taken not too long after Earth, but didn't get around to resizing or uploading them until just now.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 24, 2023

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You somehow found a really good seed it seems, nothing has gone wrong so far.

So far.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Funny you should say that...

FFMQR 1-3, Water region (mostly)

Near as I can tell, I got hit by a bug that erased a key item. Thankfully it was only the Mirror, but that could've led to the entire seed becoming completely impossible.

On the bright side, I'm 2 items from Go Mode now. Aquaria region was ridiculously lucrative.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 24, 2023

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

might as well clarify why I was so dismissive of Tristam's resistances earlier: He is only resistant to Fire (not special) and Instant Death (not likely to even be used while you've got him)

Yesterday I decided to roll a seed to play, and apparently both I and the game forgot Tristam had death resistance. Some stupid tree monster had (what felt like) a 95% success rate on hitting him (and me) with a death spell. And when it wasn't using the ID, it used a paralysis move. So. Many. Restarts! :argh:

CptWedgie posted:

Since that was the only item I can get from Aquaria until I thaw it, off to the nearest dungeon!

What about the item in Phoebe's house?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

jkq posted:

Yesterday I decided to roll a seed to play, and apparently both I and the game forgot Tristam had death resistance. Some stupid tree monster had (what felt like) a 95% success rate on hitting him (and me) with a death spell. And when it wasn't using the ID, it used a paralysis move. So. Many. Restarts! :argh:

What about the item in Phoebe's house?
The death resistance ignored thing is, I'm pretty sure, a known bug in FFMQ (at least in vanilla): It doesn't update your partner's resistances until you save your game and reload with your partner already recruited. Couldn't tell you if the randomizer fixes that, though.

And there is no item in Phoebe's house; it's a brown box in vanilla, so it's a brown box in my seed.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

The death resistance ignored thing is, I'm pretty sure, a known bug in FFMQ (at least in vanilla): It doesn't update your partner's resistances until you save your game and reload with your partner already recruited. Couldn't tell you if the randomizer fixes that, though.

Yep, I've definitely hit that bug in vanilla, and I guess in rando too.

CptWedgie posted:

And there is no item in Phoebe's house; it's a brown box in vanilla, so it's a brown box in my seed.

Whoops, right. I play with the locations shuffled, so it's a check for me.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
randomizer bugs like that are the worst; I'm a frequent flyer of ladxr for link's awakening, and a friend suggested i check out "good boy mode", which gives you Bow-Wow at all times

the problem is that i usually play with expert entrance randomizer and randomized start location

with Good Boy mode, bow-wow is always the first item you get, and the randomizer code replaces all possible starting item options with just him
with Entrance Randomizer and Random Start, the game adds the flippers to the starting item pool, since you can start with an exit directly to water

you might see where this is going.

the first seed began with this being the starting point.

welp. okay, maybe it just bugged out. try another seed, and it mostly works... except that after about 3 hours, i'm out of checks, the tracker is confused, and i'm missing... the flippers.

as it turns out:

1. the randomizer removed all starting items from the pool and replaced them with bowwow
2. the randomizer then saw entrance rando and added the flippers to the starting item pool
3. the randomizer, with a 50-50 chance, chose a flippers start and went through logic as normal
4. the randomizer replaced the starting item with bow-wow since, well, it should only be him there

oops.

the good news is that it got fixed soon after, but woof.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Aria of Sorrow Reprise Roguelike Randomizer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyHc15eYboo

The hack in question

I will never not have technical issues when starting a new project, no matter how many times I've done it. I'll fix the sound desynch + weirdly high quality for the next video. That is, if you all would like to see more!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'm going to be running through FF6 Beyond Chaos (not the open world one, that's Worlds Collide, so most of the terminology in the OP won't apply here). There's a twist though. See, the way I look at it, the appeal of randomizers is twofold. Obviously there's the inherent replayability aspect; every run is different and you never know quite what to expect. Every once in a while, though, you luck into an individual seed that's really firing on all cylinders, so much so that it manages to become a memorable experience in its own right. That's the feeling I'd like to try and tap into with this LP. How? Simple. I've already played this seed *checks notes* ...six years ago. I remember some things, but there's still plenty of room for the game to catch me off guard. And the fact that I remember anything at all should attest to the fact that this seed was a wild ride, and absolutely worth showing off. In the back of my head I've always kind of wanted to revisit it in an LP, and this thread is as good an excuse as I'm ever going to get. So, without further ado:

Let's (Re)play An FF6 Beyond Chaos Seed!

Part 1: My Special Power Is Exploding

The seed is 1488594335, if you're curious, and I'm pretty sure I left all the flags on. Huge caveat, though: obviously this ROM was generated using a very old version of the randomizer, so I can't guarantee that feeding that seed into the current version will produce the same results, especially since I'm sure there are more flags now then there were then. If you want to try and track it down, it was version 62 of Beyond Chaos (NOT EX). From a little cursory digging, it looks like this was very nearly the last version before switching to a different developer and becoming Beyond Chaos EX.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 1-4, Cleanup

Turns out what I thought was a bug was more along the lines of active malice on the part of the randomizer devs: The Mask disappeared too; I checked as soon as I picked it up. Where did they get the absurd idea that people like stumbling around blind?! (/complaint)

Anyway, at least I should finish pretty soon. Word of advice for anyone interested in FFMQR: Don't play using SGL2022 settings if you want to see where you're going.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Simply Simon posted:

The hack in question

I will never not have technical issues when starting a new project, no matter how many times I've done it. I'll fix the sound desynch + weirdly high quality for the next video. That is, if you all would like to see more!

The people who made the hack have actually implemented the IntFix patch. So intelligence is now a super powerful stat because it makes all your red souls much stronger. So all those +2 Intelligences you kept finding were really good!

Cattail Prophet posted:

The group of feral Relms hiding in the caves was pretty funny. Also all that equipment on Biggs and Wedge... :negative:

CptWedgie posted:

FFMQR, Cleanup

Turns out what I thought was a bug was more along the lines of active malice on the part of the randomizer devs: The Mask disappeared too; I checked as soon as I picked it up. Where did they get the absurd idea that people like stumbling around blind?! (/complaint)

Anyway, at least I should finish pretty soon. Word of advice for anyone interested in FFMQR: Don't play using SGL2022 settings if you want to see where you're going.

You said you're only one item from go mode? How many checks are left in the game at this point?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

The people who made the hack have actually implemented the IntFix patch. So intelligence is now a super powerful stat because it makes all your red souls much stronger. So all those +2 Intelligences you kept finding were really good!
Oh riiiight I remember the runner I watched this play mention that! I actually didn't know about Int not doing anything in the original version, I just figured it would increase my MP reg lol

(I should read the readme at some point)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Simply Simon posted:

This is an interesting randomizer, and it's always fun to watch your LPs, so please continue! I hope you get some more soul luck though.

Cattail Prophet posted:

That's a lot of exploding. I hope every character gets Explode, that'd be very funny. That way you can also finish the game by exploding, the only true answer to evil godly clowns.

CptWedgie posted:

FFMQR, Cleanup

Weird choice there, I can't imagine why they'd want to make the game more annoying to play. Maybe they needed to repurpouse whatever flags those items used and that's why they just disappear now? It's the only explanation I can think of beyond fake difficulty.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Making a randomizer, part 2

So, that was that. Triforce pieces were limited to one per dungeon. Picking one up outside a dungeon did nothing, and if you didn't have one for each level, the game was unbeatable.

I didn't want this. Triforce pieces are an item like any other, and I wanted to randomize them if I could. But how to get around the game's coding on this?

As mentioned, I was working with a full decompilation of Zelda 1. I could make changes in assembly and recompile the game. So, that's what I did.

But before that, we have to understand another problem this was intersecting with. See, I was making this randomizer for the Archipelago multiworld project. This meant that my game would be shuffling items not just from itself but also from other games, and conversely items from Zelda 1 could end up in other games. In other words, I needed to take into account receiving an item remotely. A remote item is any that isn't located in your particular instance of a game -- your world. So even if a multiworld game were just two Zelda 1 games, there would still be "local" items and "remote" items for each.

So I had to come up with a way to receive items. "Simple!", a naive thought might begin, "Merely run the routine that grants a particular item ingame! Eureka, I'm a genius, subscribe to my Patreon!".

As my subtle portrayal of this strawman shows, it's not that easy. See, with the right programs (such as an emulator with Lua scripting capabilities), you can easily read and write memory on the fly for a running game. Now, what memory do you write to in order to run a particular routine? Well, you don't. You need the program to arrive there organically, as just yanking the program counter around to god knows what is, at best, going to lead to entertaining crashes. If a game branches based on a particular memory value, you can utilize that, but I wasn't so lucky. Z1's code tends to involve checking for collision between objects, and branching based on that. You can't really simulate that with a simple write to a couple of variables.

This is a long winded way of saying I had to write in inventory items directly. So, if you're sent a sword, write 1, 2, or 3 (depending on the sword) to the sword variable. If you're sent bombs, add 4 to the number of bombs you have, and so on. I wasn't satisfied with that, so I did some digging, and found out that when Link picks up an item, two variables are set. One is the item sprite to be drawn being held in the air, and the other is a timer for how long to keep that pose before resuming normal operation. Those I could easily write to.

So...that's what I did. I'd write in the necessary bytes directly, but I'd also write to the variables for Link holding an item up so it looked like you were picking up an item normally. While I was at it, I found out that Z1 uses has a "queued sound effect" byte that I could write to. While the familiar "item get" tune from Zelda is a music track (and thus would require me to resume the previous music after queueing up), the "secret found" tune is just as iconic and is a sound effect, and so would play with no problems.

So the bulk of this occurred in a Lua script that would be executed by the running emulator (support for other emulators and hardware being something that I'd let future me/other people tackle). Now, if I were to receive a Triforce piece, how would I write that in? The Triforce byte used one bit per piece, so I could just find the next bit in line and set that. Still, this would interact weirdly with the Recorder.

The Recorder is one of Z1's two fast-travel items. The way it works is it keeps track of a number in a byte. Use the Recorder while facing up or left, we decrement the byte. Face right or down, and we increment. We wrap around so the values range from 0-7, and we skip any dungeons we don't have the Triforce for. When the tornado hits Link, we go to the screen of the dungeon the byte is set to. This lets you easily warp between all of your cleared dungeons.

That would work if I was setting Triforce pieces arbitrarily, though. Sure, you clear Level 2, set the Level 2 Triforce bit, you can now warp to Level 2. That was unchanged. But what if you were sent a piece from someone else? In that case, we just set Level 1...but then what if Level 1 had a Triforce piece itself?

It all became too many edge cases to be worth considering. All because of one simple item that had to be special in how it transported the player.

So I changed the Recorder. Instead of it warping you between cleared dungeons, I allowed it to warp between all eight dungeons from the start. Now I could decouple Triforce pieces from their dungeons and not break another item. As a bonus, it becomes a fun convenient item to pick up and is an alternate route to Level 4, where you normally would need the otherwise-useless Raft.

Still, we weren't quite there yet. How do I handle multiple Triforce pieces in the same dungeon? Well, now I could change the Triforce pickup code. I made it so receiving a Triforce (either locally or remotely) would not just increment a counter, but also run code to update the "canon" Triforce byte for the two things left that I knew looked for it (Level 9 and the status screen) and anything I had missed.

And that's the tale of how I am, to my knowledge, the first Z1 randomizer developer to allow Triforce pieces to be anything other than one per dungeon. I'm rather proud of that.

So that was the easy part.

Next time: Rupees can be exchanged for goods and services.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I keep hoping "the" Z1 randomizer (Fred's) goes open source at some point because I feel like there's a lot of potential there, it's just... yeah.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

Weird choice there, I can't imagine why they'd want to make the game more annoying to play. Maybe they needed to repurpouse whatever flags those items used and that's why they just disappear now? It's the only explanation I can think of beyond fake difficulty.
No, the Mirror and Mask still appear and function properly in other settings (this is not my first seed, merely my first- and likely only- SGL2022 seed); it's just these settings that erase them, so fake difficulty is the only possible explanation. If they needed to repurpose flags, they probably started with stuff like cutscenes; those're a lot fewer and farther between than vanilla, and (as you might expect) each one comes with a "you have seen this cutscene" flag which, if the cutscene itself is completely removed, can easily be repurposed.

If I had to speculate, it's an extension of the "you can go through these dungeons without the relevant monster-revealing items" logic, perhaps in an attempt to ensure that a player who stumbles on one of those items does not have an advantage over a player who just goes straight to those dungeons without the items. Despite the fact that said advantage is the entire purpose of those items.

TLDR: The only possible answer at this point is active malice from the randomizer devs.

Anyway, setting that bit of dev dickery aside...

Simply Simon posted:

I enjoyed it. Show us as much of this as you like, even if it means starting a new seed after an untimely death.

Cattail Prophet posted:

I never really got into FF6BC, personally, but that's not an argument against it; I've played and enjoyed FF6 before, so by all rights I should like Beyond Chaos- I just... can't play it for some reason. Maybe I've just gotten too used to open-world randomizers.

I did roll up a test seed recently with the latest version, though; Terra's abilities... were mixed: 9xRemedy (which, if the first one doesn't work, the other eight won't help any more) and 9xBolt3 (a hilariously-powerful attack). Also, she looked like FF4's Antlion, and the soldiers were General Leo. I deleted it already, because, again, it was just a test seed to help me figure out how to use the new Beyond Chaos, but... yeah. (And in case anyone's wondering: Beyond Chaos, or at least the new version, has an option to force all multicast abilities to be either 9x abilities or 8x doublecast abilities, a potential example of the latter being 8x Fire 3 + Cure.)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

CptWedgie posted:

I never really got into FF6BC, personally, but that's not an argument against it; I've played and enjoyed FF6 before, so by all rights I should like Beyond Chaos- I just... can't play it for some reason. Maybe I've just gotten too used to open-world randomizers.

Totally fair! They definitely scratch slightly different itches. I think I'm kind of the opposite, at least when it comes to RPGs (the thread's definitely tempting me to get back into LTTP rando though). It's cool that there's enough design space in the genre for both styles of randomizer to coexist!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Cattail Prophet posted:

I'm going to be running through FF6 Beyond Chaos (not the open world one, that's Worlds Collide, so most of the terminology in the OP won't apply here). There's a twist though. See, the way I look at it, the appeal of randomizers is twofold. Obviously there's the inherent replayability aspect; every run is different and you never know quite what to expect. Every once in a while, though, you luck into an individual seed that's really firing on all cylinders, so much so that it manages to become a memorable experience in its own right. That's the feeling I'd like to try and tap into with this LP. How? Simple. I've already played this seed *checks notes* ...six years ago. I remember some things, but there's still plenty of room for the game to catch me off guard. And the fact that I remember anything at all should attest to the fact that this seed was a wild ride, and absolutely worth showing off. In the back of my head I've always kind of wanted to revisit it in an LP, and this thread is as good an excuse as I'm ever going to get. So, without further ado:

The seed is 1488594335, if you're curious, and I'm pretty sure I left all the flags on. Huge caveat, though: obviously this ROM was generated using a very old version of the randomizer, so I can't guarantee that feeding that seed into the current version will produce the same results, especially since I'm sure there are more flags now then there were then. If you want to try and track it down, it was version 62 of Beyond Chaos (NOT EX). From a little cursory digging, it looks like this was very nearly the last version before switching to a different developer and becoming Beyond Chaos EX.

Oh, I'm excited about this. Please continue.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 1-5, GO GO GO!

A winner is me.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Rosalie_A posted:

Making a randomizer, part 2

I have nothing of value to add, I just wanted to say I'm enjoying reading this. Very interesting.

What tools do you use to do this? What does the game look like from inside a Lua script, for example? I assume the emulator provides an API or something?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
not the op, but ... not quite bizhawk's setup but here's fceux's. you can read / write memory, change registers, etc. you can also watch for when certain addresses are executed/run as code, so you can hook into that.

one of the problems with manipulating memory is that it is (generally speaking) not the same as what you see on screen. for example, if you have 1 heart, and you edit memory to give yourself 3 hearts, the screen generally won't update to show it. you'd have to take damage (or collect a heart) for it to update and start showing it. this isn't always a problem if you can hook into something in-game that will update it for you.

as an example:

code:
while true do
  local ring = memory.readbyte(0x0662)      -- this is the memory address that stores if you have a ring
  local message = ""

if ring == 0x00 then
    message = "no ring."
  elseif ring == 0x01 then
    message = "blue ring."
  elseif ring == 0x02 then
    message = "red ring."
  else
    message = "what the gently caress"
  end

gui.text(16, 16, message)
  emu.frameadvance()
end
this will print a message at the top of the emulator window that says what ring you have.

you can do memory.writebyte(0x0662, 02) to give yourself the red ring, but link's colors won't change -- that's likely done by the code that handles picking it up. so instead you'd want to hunt down whatever code does that, and jump to it with a "yeah pretend we picked up the ring" thing.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FF6 Beyond Chaos: Part 2: Casino Thamasa And The Worst Viking

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I mentioned in a previous post, but the DWR folks are doing a Training Tournament right now to help ease new players in to the game. So I figured I'd bring that over here for anyone that wants to give DWR a try, but maybe not jump right in to the standard flagset. In this version everything is a lot tighter and easier to manage. Here's the list of what's different compared to the standard flagset:
code:
Speed Hacks: Yes
Short Charlock: Yes
Don't Require Magic Keys: Yes
Leveling Speed: Very Fast
Random Map Size: Very Small
No Armor in Charlock: Yes
Easy Charlock: Yes
I put together a run using my previous post as the seed number. But what you, the viewer at home, could do would be to click this link RIGHT HERE and play it yourself before you watch my run. Then compare notes, post about it, or whatever. Also hit me up with any questions, comments, or concerns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISPWx8iy8NU
Fun fact, my wife brought me a crying child to hold right when I hit the DL2 fight. So I put my headset down in front of me while I was playing. I kept talking because I figured it'd work fine, but nope. I don't actually say anything important at point. It could be argued that I didn't say anything important before that point either, but hey I digress.

I need to branch out at some point in the near future and playing Mystic Quest and/or FF6 sounds like a fun time. I'm going to try and put together one of those and see what nonsense I can get up to with it. Probably not for a little while though.

Simply Simon posted:

The hack in question

This is really neat and cool to watch. Definitely keep it going.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

Does anyone actually like FF6's attempts to show off with mode 7 for chocobo and airship travel? Be honest.

gently caress yes I do.

Also there's something funny about Perfect CELL pulling out final flash Grand Train.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 22, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Crumps Brother posted:

I mentioned in a previous post, but the DWR folks are doing a Training Tournament right now to help ease new players in to the game. So I figured I'd bring that over here for anyone that wants to give DWR a try, but maybe not jump right in to the standard flagset. In this version everything is a lot tighter and easier to manage. Here's the list of what's different compared to the standard flagset:

I should give DWR a try, I've watched a number of various randomizer speedruns of the Dragon Warrior NES games, but never attempted it myself. That being said, I've also never personally completed any of them outside of a randomizer either, but details, details.

Thanks to some unexpected recording issues discovered at the last moment, I had to redo what I had for my Dark Souls 1 rando run, but it was probably for the best as the new seed I've got now is a special kind of crazy. I've managed to fit Paramdomizer in on top of the other three, as while I still haven't been able to stop it from randomizing the damage stats on weapons even when the option is off, I did find a seed that didn't just tape +200 elemental damage to everything in the game (it actually made most weapons worse than usual, but that's not relevant). So now I have weird movesets and casting animations to go with the surrounding insanity.

The most unfortunate part is that the enemy randomizer really took a fancy to some of the worst enemies in the game but it's made for a... unique challenge. I died around 15 times trying to get out of the first hallway, for reference.

Unrelated to that is this image, as a fun spoiler to what kind of nonsense I've wrought. It's mostly incomprehensible anyways:

Still no idea if it can even be completed, the Fog Gate randomizer still throws errors, but we'll take it as far as we can if that's the case. I'll have the first video out in a few days currently cleaning up the audio, hopefully it's worth the wait.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 22, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Oh man that's... that's pain.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Hideki is a special kind of awful- the kind where an empty slot would honestly be more useful to you. Hope you find something to turn Runic into something more useful; he'll need it.

On a side note, I've also rolled up another FFMQ seed, but haven't really started it up yet because I procrastinate way too much. It promises to be a special kind of awful too, though (deliberately so, in my case); more details whenever I get around to playing it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Uuuh very nice, thanks for the heads-up!

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is an interesting randomizer, and it's always fun to watch your LPs, so please continue! I hope you get some more soul luck though.
Thanks! I get

Also thanks to the rest of the vocal enjoyers :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbCdS5W2Lhw

Maybe next time I record at double the resolution and then it can be HD - if it matters. I don't think my encoding program can upscale losslessly because it's a bit of a dumdum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

In the original your red souls scaled with STR, and blues scaled with int.
So Int was not entirely useless but Strength increases both red soul attack and weapons damage so why go for int.

Nice bit of luck on the death's robe and valmanway. Death's robe is the best armor in the game, hard mode exclusive, and valmanway is a boss rush reward.
Also the man eater is a boss rush stage.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 24, 2023