Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In the original your red souls scaled with STR, and blues scaled with int.
So Int was not entirely useless but Strength increases both red soul attack and weapons damage so why go for int.

Nice bit of luck on the death's robe and valmanway. Death's robe is the best armor in the game, hard mode exclusive, and valmanway is a boss rush reward.
Also the man eater is a boss rush stage.

Death's Robe is a pretty good mid-late game armor, but definitely not best in slot. In the vanilla game, as long as you have the bat soul, you can pretty easily find it in a little nook just outside of Death's boss room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Punching Death to...well, death, is such a badass way to do it.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

Aria of Sorrow Reprise Roguelike Randomizer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbCdS5W2Lhw

Maybe next time I record at double the resolution and then it can be HD - if it matters. I don't think my encoding program can upscale losslessly because it's a bit of a dumdum
Quite enjoyable! Personally, I'd be using one of those those "guaranteed soul drop" items on a Valkyrie, since they've got one of the best attacks in the game, but since they cost so much I won't get on your case for skipping them. Might consider using one on a Winged Skeleton, too; their spears are reasonably cheap, good range, and, unless I'm misremembering, decently damaging due to its multi-hit ability (especially if you can aim it to land on your target), so they're not bad as a "budget" weapon.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 2-1, Brace For Impact

Let the train wreck commence. (Also, I went back and numbered the links to my previous run, for convenience.)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In the original your red souls scaled with STR, and blues scaled with int.
So Int was not entirely useless but Strength increases both red soul attack and weapons damage so why go for int.
Ah, I misunderstood then. Still haven't read the readme because playing is too much fun, haha

quote:

Nice bit of luck on the death's robe and valmanway. Death's robe is the best armor in the game, hard mode exclusive, and valmanway is a boss rush reward.
Also the man eater is a boss rush stage.
Oh, I hate boss rushes, that explains why it's new to me

CptWedgie posted:

Quite enjoyable! Personally, I'd be using one of those those "guaranteed soul drop" items on a Valkyrie, since they've got one of the best attacks in the game, but since they cost so much I won't get on your case for skipping them. Might consider using one on a Winged Skeleton, too; their spears are reasonably cheap, good range, and, unless I'm misremembering, decently damaging due to its multi-hit ability (especially if you can aim it to land on your target), so they're not bad as a "budget" weapon.
I did get a Winged Skeleton drop iirc

I thought I remembered Valk being good, but I think I'm actually conflating it with Dawn's red Valkyrie, which has an AOE holy attack that rips. Dawn's blue valk is a transform rush. Having played WAY more Dawn than Aria is screwing with me!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

I thought I remembered Valk being good, but I think I'm actually conflating it with Dawn's red Valkyrie, which has an AOE holy attack that rips. Dawn's blue valk is a transform rush. Having played WAY more Dawn than Aria is screwing with me!
For good reason, it seems- judging from their animations, while Aria!Valkyrie is graphically different from Dawn!Erinys, the actual mechanics are quite similar: A powerful (but extremely expensive) Holy-element attack with a gigantic hitbox.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

Let the train wreck commence. (Also, I went back and numbered the links to my previous run, for convenience.)

Yay, new FFMQ run!

... No dungeon floor shuffle, 0/10. :colbert:

Pretty nice start on items though, with the shield, armor, and Flare+White spells. Now all you need is to be able to cast them!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CptWedgie posted:

Cloyster could indeed learn Self-Destruct and Explosion in some gens, though it can't right now.

Also that's a lot of explosions. You may as well have called your character Michael Bay.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

DoubleNegative posted:

Death's Robe is a pretty good mid-late game armor, but definitely not best in slot. In the vanilla game, as long as you have the bat soul, you can pretty easily find it in a little nook just outside of Death's boss room.

Edged out only by a rare drop in the final area and is a sidegrade to draculas tunic, the +13 int is a pretty sizable boost to blue souls tho.
It is very splitting hairs since the game is almost over anyways, the chaotic realm is a formality at best, but you get death's robe before Top Floor so that cements it as best to me.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

quote:

Interesting place for a bridge.

Hmm... I'm reminded of something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWg-mozGsU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Current status: Got my next update written out, got the screenshots all taken... but feeling too lazy to get around to resizing or uploading anything at the moment. I'll get back to you on that.

I can say I got a ridiculous number of spells, though.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
DARK SOULS: PREPARE TO DIE - Quad Randomizer

an extremely normal game of dark soles

behold the journey of person, holy and of book book clan (skip to about 12 minutes in to stop seeing me die in the first hallway)
v v v v v v v v v v v v

More seriously, I've used all 4 available randomizers:

Item Randomizer- Shuffles up all the items, including key items.
Enemy Randomizer - Randomizes enemies, bosses included, with potential scaling.
Paramdomizer - Messes up a lot of other game data, from movesets to stats to dialogue to hitboxes...
Fog Door Randomizer - Rearranges the entire map of the game using all kinds of fog doors, including ones normally only shown in multiplayer sessions.

The end result is a chaotic gauntlet of enemies and confusingly arranged rooms, all in a desperate search for something good. Sometimes painful, sometimes quite fun, and is truly an awful something.

To add to this, I also tacked on the Poorly Translated Souls mod, the result of running the game's script through 15 machine translations between different languages. Everything is horribly mangled and kinda hard to understand, but it's funny and sorta creates it's own lore.

You can see my settings here:

Tell me if you want to see more of this or what I can improve on. VLP live commentary is far from my strong suit, but I like to give it a shot every once in a while. I've got other stuff I can (and plan) to do.

This thread has really reawakened my dormant joy for randomizers- I haven't had a chance to watch or read a lot of the other submissions thus far, but rest assured I will. I've been incredibly busy between this and my other two LPs.

Spoiler Commentary for this Episode:
Finding 1 of the bells early is a nice boost, although we still have to find the other for it to open all of 1 door.

"And" is the Cleric class, thus the healing. "Fly From Death" is the unused death protection spell and is kind of a nice hit in a game like this. Having a Blighttown Brute replace one of the Gargoyles was a 1% chance on these settings, thus my surprise at it.

Movesets:
Bare hands- Medium Shield
Broken Sword- Whip
Ghost Scimitar- Bastard Sword
Club - Curved Greatsword

Every weapon is pretty bad thus far, stats included, the club being the only one barely usable. Usually you're hoping for something like dagger/curved sword on a ultra greatsword or something, and in regards to the stats, split damage types are usually pretty bad in DS1 thanks to how the damage calculations work. There's a reason why my club with 180 total damage is doing 50 at best most of the time.

-> Next update here <-

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 29, 2023

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

One is just a crime. :hai:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

DoubleNegative posted:

One is just a crime. :hai:

It is true. :haibrow:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I'm working on editing together a Zero Mission randomizer run and this one's gonna be interesting. (Spoilers, it's not successful because Metroid Zero Mission Randomizer is loving broken and will likely never be fixed)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Alright, one A Link to the Past Randomizer seed has been played through and 900+ screenshots have been taken. Next step will be sorting them out and presenting it in a fun and informative way.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm working on editing together a Zero Mission randomizer run and this one's gonna be interesting. (Spoilers, it's not successful because Metroid Zero Mission Randomizer is loving broken and will likely never be fixed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOgOj1Jiq_8

Have a Metroid Zero Mission Randomizer run! This will not be finished.

ITEM LOCATION SPOILERS:

Once you watch the video, feel free to take a look at these and see if you can figure out where the heck I was meant to go and what I was meant to do.

Each one of these links to the maps generated by the randomizer.

https://lpix.org/4504379/brinstar.png
https://lpix.org/4504380/chozodia.png
https://lpix.org/4504381/crateria.png
https://lpix.org/4504382/kraid.png
https://lpix.org/4504383/norfair.png
https://lpix.org/4504384/ridley.png
https://lpix.org/4504385/tourian.png

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 2-2, Bombardment

In which I learn many spells.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CptWedgie posted:

FFMQR 2-2, Bombardment

In which I learn many spells.

What a magical update.

What's the use for all those fragments? This seed sure has a lot of them.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

What's the use for all those fragments? This seed sure has a lot of them.
I need to collect a certain number of Sky Fragments to make the Sky Coin. Don't recall how many I need this seed off the top of my head, though. ...really, this should be obvious from the fact that their sprite is literally the Sky Coin split in half.

Anyway, if you use different settings Sky Fragments will never appear because the Sky Coin isn't broken.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

FFMQR 2-2, Bombardment

I bet there're some people who don't even know what [Refreshers] do!

Refreshers are what you drink when you're hanging out in Fireburg listening to the band. :guinness:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

[Have a Metroid Zero Mission Randomizer run! This will not be finished.

That looked ridiculous. You're probably right about the logic being broken.

Thanks for giving it a shot, though.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Well, accidentally spent my whole day on a Dragon Warrior III Randomizer playthrough. It's been a hell of a ride thus far and I'm still only roughly halfway through it in regards to key items? Only knowing a few vague things about the game has made for a rather emergent experience.

I'll have to write it up in some way when I'm not so busy (and behind on other updates).

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

Once you watch the video, feel free to take a look at these and see if you can figure out where the heck I was meant to go and what I was meant to do.
Well, pretty sure I've found where the Power Grip was placed Norfair, but since I've never played Zero Mission I have no idea how it expects you to get there.

Still, though, that seed looks abominable. Thanks for warning us away from that randomizer, even if that wasn't exactly your intention; your complaints about how this isn't even the first seed you couldn't figure out means that the logic... just isn't there, and the "no updates for years" thing means that it probably won't get implemented unless the source code is public so someone else can take over.

edit: didn't see the end of the video first, but I also found where it wanted you to go for Varia: All the way down to Ridley.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 26, 2023

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

:cripes: I feel kinda dumb now. I was rewatching the end of the video and had a spark of insight as to where the seed wanted me to go:

There's a hidden launcher all the way down at the bottom of Norfair. You just have to go into a door I didn't go into, make a difficult jump without high jump boots, and then you just walk through the door and fall through the hidden floor.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 26, 2023

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 2-3, Mushroom Cloud

User error detected. Further progress pending me figuring out what the heck I missed.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CptWedgie posted:

FFMQR 2-3, Mushroom Cloud

User error detected. Further progress pending me figuring out what the heck I missed.

Huh. Perhaps you need to speak to some NPC to turn those fragments into the real coin?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Odd Wilson posted:

DARK SOULS: PREPARE TO DIE - Quad Randomizer

I'm enjoying this wild ride, though your framerate doesn't seem to be.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm enjoying this wild ride, though your framerate doesn't seem to be.

It's a miracle this laptop can emulate Wii games as well as it does. This thing has never run Dark Souls:PtDE at a stable framerate, and never will. Although, it's not like PtDE ever had a stable framerate to begin with.

Consider it an extra layer of jank to go with the rest on display :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

:cripes: I feel kinda dumb now. I was rewatching the end of the video and had a spark of insight as to where the seed wanted me to go:

There's a hidden launcher all the way down at the bottom of Norfair. You just have to go into a door I didn't go into, make a difficult jump without high jump boots, and then you just walk through the door and fall through the hidden floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZhpZVuLZVg

A video showing this as well. So the seed is perfectly complete-able and I'm just a tiny bit blind.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

A video showing this as well. So the seed is perfectly complete-able and I'm just a tiny bit blind.

Will you be continuing the run, then?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DGM_2 posted:

Will you be continuing the run, then?

I'll do another one later! I've spoiled myself on where all the items are and it wouldn't be fun just seeing me going to where I know the good stuff is.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Fair.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 2-4, Aftermath

Don't you hate it when you completely forget an entire dungeon? :cripes:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CptWedgie posted:

FFMQR 2-4, Aftermath

I wish every final boss was as kind as this one, he just killed himself and healed you while he was at it.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

FFMQR 2-4, Aftermath

Ugh. I did something like that once on a seed with the dungeon levels randomized. I forgot to visit one of the staircases, and of course it eventually led to the Moebius Crest.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

jkq posted:

Ugh. I did something like that once on a seed with the dungeon levels randomized. I forgot to visit one of the staircases, and of course it eventually led to the Moebius Crest.

I've done something similar when I was running through a SoulBlazer randomizer. I cleared out a monster portal in one of the dungeons but forgot to seal it before moving on. By the end of the game I was missing a few items but otherwise had everything required to fight the final boss' final form except for the Phoenix spell.

No points for correctly guessing what I needed to do in order to start the chain of events that would unlock the Phoenix.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I wish every final boss was as kind as this one, he just killed himself and healed you while he was at it.

We should call that one the "Allahu Akbar" seed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
No. We really, really shouldn't.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Aria of Sorrow Reprise Roguelike Randomizer