Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Randomizers! You love them, I love them, we all love them. They're incredibly fun to play. But you know what's just as much fun as playing them yourself? Watching other people play them! That's what this thread is all about! So pull up a chair, sit back, relax, and swear like a sailor when the randomizer puts a progression item in a cursed location.

Wait, what's a randomizer?

How have you not learned about randomizers before this point? Well, whatever. A randomizer is a program that takes stuff from a game and shuffles around where you can find it. The perennial example is The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past. The randomizer for that moves all the items in chests around. So when you start the game you could find the Fire Rod or you could find a single arrow. There are a million, billion, jillion randomizers in existence now. More crop up all the time!

Can I participate too?

drat straight you can! Just pick your favorite game, find out if there's a randomizer for it, and get to playing that favorite game in a whole new way. The fun of randomizers is that they're evergreen! Every run is new and some of the chains of logic the program comes up with are extremely cursed. So please, don't be shy! Share your suffering with the rest of us, so we can all commiserate and share in the joy equally.

Where can I find these randomizers?

A gentleman named Guillaume Fortin-Debigaré maintains an exhaustive list of drat near every randomizer in existence. There are links to where you can find and download them on his website.

Useful Trackers

EmoTracker - Has support for a lot of games, primarily Zelda and Metroid games, but supports others like La Mulana as well.
TrackOOT.net - Ocarina of Time map and item tracker. Supports uploading your spoiler log
FabioYK's LTTP Tracker - Link to the Past item and map tracker. Might be out of date.
LMRItemTracker - La Mulana Randomizer item tracker, developed by the lady who creates the randomizer.
VARIA Tracker - Super Metroid randomizer item and map tracker. Supports uploading your spoiler log

A Quick Run Down of Terminology

Seed - Every randomizer program uses an RNG seed to determine where items are placed. Each one is unique.
Check - Literally checking a randomized location.
Logic - The randomizer has a long list of conditionals that determine where it distributes items. In general you're supposed to follow the chain of logic from the start of the game to the end. Using Super Metroid for an example, you might find Missiles which leads you to the Morph Ball, which leads you to Bombs, which leads you to the Speed Booster, which lets you access Plasma Beam. Most randomizers have settings you can toggle to adjust the logic used.
Tracker - An external program or web page that helps you track what items you have collected. Map trackers also exist that show you which locations are in logic with what items you have.
Spoiler Log - Most randomizers will let you generate a spoiler log. This shows you where every item has been moved to. Checking it during a run is largely frowned upon, but it can be handy if you're well and truly stuck.
Progression Item - An item necessary for progression.
Go Mode - You're ready to beat the game! In Link to the Past Randomizer, for instance, Go Mode means you have enough items that you can speed through the rest of the crystal dungeons without having to stop for anything.

Want to play with friends?

Archipelago - This is a multi-world randomizer that can add items from one game into another. So you have to work together to find items for each other.

Rosalie_A discusses their experiences as a developer of Archipelago. Also just making a randomizer in general. Highly recommended reading!
Part 2 of Rosalie_A's story about working on randomizers!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

To kick off the thread, let's start with a little Metroid Fusion Open Randomizer!

Varia Dessgeega Central Restricted - Part 1

And here's the settings I used! The three checked ones mean - Any non-tank missile upgrade counts for having missiles, you can find power bombs before bombs in logic, and you can't see what items you're picking up!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Odd Wilson posted:

I might join in sometime with a video or two if you don't mind.

By all means, please. The more the merrier!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Randos are cool, I've tried LttP, Dark Souls, OoT and DK64 so far. Probably forgetting some.

I might record the next try of one. Was eyeing a new-ish release for Aria of Sorrow that turns it into a Roguelike, for example!

Also, re: the Fusion vid, nice start with the screw attack. I'd heard that it gives you a single-wall jump, but haven't seen it before, really cool. Like your gameplay, keep it up!

Aria Roguelike is a lot of fun and is pretty approachable thanks to the difficulty modes. I'm looking forward to seeing if you post any videos on it!

That goes for everyone too. I can't wait to see y'all's runs in whatever you play.

Rosalie_A posted:

I can probably guess the answer to this, but would anyone want me to write up some stuff about my adventures developing my own randomizers?

:justpost: I'd love to hear about developing randomizers.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

Might also depend on the version you're playing. I can't say about old LTTP randomizers, but I vaguely recall hearing that Super Metroid used to consider suitless Norfair to be logical even if you're otherwise playing on the easiest possible settings.

The super earliest versions of the Super Metroid randomizer legitimately had a list of speed tricks on the website with the warning that if you can't do any of these, then you can't play the randomizer. It's come a long way since then and is much, much friendlier to newcomers now.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Also here's some more content!

Part 2 (of 2) of my Metroid Fusion run!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

Okay, turns out it was pretty much exactly as not-complicated as I remembered. Have a (surprisingly long relative to play time) SSLP post!

FFMQR, Earth region

Skybilz, the hostess of the Randomizer-focused GDQ Hotfix show, has a joke about the three gifts at the start of a randomizer, and I think this qualifies! Hopefully the game doesn't string you along with a bunch of tier 1 and 2 stuff for a while.

Crumps Brother posted:

Have a video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3WeiYbokw8

Here's me playing a standard flags seed of DWR and talking over it. I'll also take some constructive criticism on the video itself to apply to future videos.
https://dwrandomizer.com/release/#flags=IVIAAVCAKACAAAAAAAAAAEAQ&seed=8994247777059430

I really appreciated your going back to record the look at what the hike over to the final dungeon and final boss was supposed to look like. I didn't even realize Dragon Warrior randomizer was a thing, so this was really cool to see demonstrated.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Aria of Sorrow Reprise Roguelike Randomizer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyHc15eYboo

The hack in question

I will never not have technical issues when starting a new project, no matter how many times I've done it. I'll fix the sound desynch + weirdly high quality for the next video. That is, if you all would like to see more!

The people who made the hack have actually implemented the IntFix patch. So intelligence is now a super powerful stat because it makes all your red souls much stronger. So all those +2 Intelligences you kept finding were really good!

Cattail Prophet posted:

Let's (Re)play An FF6 Beyond Chaos Seed!

Part 1: My Special Power Is Exploding

The group of feral Relms hiding in the caves was pretty funny. Also all that equipment on Biggs and Wedge... :negative:

CptWedgie posted:

FFMQR, Cleanup

Turns out what I thought was a bug was more along the lines of active malice on the part of the randomizer devs: The Mask disappeared too; I checked as soon as I picked it up. Where did they get the absurd idea that people like stumbling around blind?! (/complaint)

Anyway, at least I should finish pretty soon. Word of advice for anyone interested in FFMQR: Don't play using SGL2022 settings if you want to see where you're going.

You said you're only one item from go mode? How many checks are left in the game at this point?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In the original your red souls scaled with STR, and blues scaled with int.
So Int was not entirely useless but Strength increases both red soul attack and weapons damage so why go for int.

Nice bit of luck on the death's robe and valmanway. Death's robe is the best armor in the game, hard mode exclusive, and valmanway is a boss rush reward.
Also the man eater is a boss rush stage.

Death's Robe is a pretty good mid-late game armor, but definitely not best in slot. In the vanilla game, as long as you have the bat soul, you can pretty easily find it in a little nook just outside of Death's boss room.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

One is just a crime. :hai:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I'm working on editing together a Zero Mission randomizer run and this one's gonna be interesting. (Spoilers, it's not successful because Metroid Zero Mission Randomizer is loving broken and will likely never be fixed)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm working on editing together a Zero Mission randomizer run and this one's gonna be interesting. (Spoilers, it's not successful because Metroid Zero Mission Randomizer is loving broken and will likely never be fixed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOgOj1Jiq_8

Have a Metroid Zero Mission Randomizer run! This will not be finished.

ITEM LOCATION SPOILERS:

Once you watch the video, feel free to take a look at these and see if you can figure out where the heck I was meant to go and what I was meant to do.

Each one of these links to the maps generated by the randomizer.

https://lpix.org/4504379/brinstar.png
https://lpix.org/4504380/chozodia.png
https://lpix.org/4504381/crateria.png
https://lpix.org/4504382/kraid.png
https://lpix.org/4504383/norfair.png
https://lpix.org/4504384/ridley.png
https://lpix.org/4504385/tourian.png

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

:cripes: I feel kinda dumb now. I was rewatching the end of the video and had a spark of insight as to where the seed wanted me to go:

There's a hidden launcher all the way down at the bottom of Norfair. You just have to go into a door I didn't go into, make a difficult jump without high jump boots, and then you just walk through the door and fall through the hidden floor.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 26, 2023

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

:cripes: I feel kinda dumb now. I was rewatching the end of the video and had a spark of insight as to where the seed wanted me to go:

There's a hidden launcher all the way down at the bottom of Norfair. You just have to go into a door I didn't go into, make a difficult jump without high jump boots, and then you just walk through the door and fall through the hidden floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZhpZVuLZVg

A video showing this as well. So the seed is perfectly complete-able and I'm just a tiny bit blind.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DGM_2 posted:

Will you be continuing the run, then?

I'll do another one later! I've spoiled myself on where all the items are and it wouldn't be fun just seeing me going to where I know the good stuff is.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Aria of Sorrow Reprise Roguelike Randomizer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8n_HUFte-Q

That's it!

For now?

I'm still at the start of the video, but +Max HP items and souls are really dangerous. They increase your health by a certain amount, and if you take them off while your HP is below that amount they will kill you stone dead. So that's why Soma cried out like he was hurt - he was! For 20 HP of damage.

EDIT: Also Vajaya is like the sword version of Kaiser Knuckle. Lightning repeatedly strikes around where you hit. It's really, really good.

Although in my experience, the endgame of Aria Roguelike depends on finding one of the endgame holy weapons - Claimh Solais or Excalibur - and using that to get to the end. Still, making it that far on your first attempt is really good!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 27, 2023

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Simply Simon actually got really shafted in terms of Green soul drops. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to find the kick soul way before floor 70. And the Hippogryph too.

I know for a fact they guarantee double jump starting in the 30s. I think around 35 it will start spawning anywhere that there's an opportunity. So it's bizarre that by double that, the high jump and kicks were nowhere to be seen. :psyduck:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I tried to sit down to record another Zero Mission seed and after 2 hours I had to stop because I just couldn't find Plasma anywhere.

Turns out it was in a room I've never been to before. Still don't know how to get there if I'm being honest.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

Is that the room where in OG you have to crawl suitless on the lowest of three sets of tunnels? If so, go back there and check the top route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuVGSlc24WE&t=2150s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuVGSlc24WE&t=3334s

I already trashed the recording and the commentary, but that is that exact spot! Good to know that's how you get there.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

When I played Circle as a teenager, I was kinda dumb because I never figured out what the brain floats were even for. To be fair, grinding for 1% card drops never occurred to me. They really just looked at Rippers from Metroid and went "but what if they were easily killable by accident" didn't they?"

Also Mario Luigi RPG randomizer looks neat!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello thread! I come to you at this late, late hour to bring news of a randomizer I just heard about tonight:

Majora's Mask 3D Rando

It has all the quality of life improvements from MM3D, but it lets Zora Link fast swim by default. And it fixes whatever was wrong with Deku Link's hopping. Also randomizer.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Reviving the thread with something dumb and kinda cursed.

Ship of Harkinian Randomizer, except the world is mirrored. Horizontally and vertically.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

Didn't have time to watch this before. Now that I am, though, it was quite a relief when you turned down the fanfare volume from "head-explodingly loud" to "relatively inoffensive" (around 21 minutes, for everyone else's benefit); I kept finding myself recoiling every time you picked something up. I was thinking of asking if that was just me, until you acknowledged the issue yourself.

Anyway, if you're playing as Malon, does that mean Link's a farmhand in those settings? Or is Malon still Malon? (Also, it only just now occurred to me that it's ironic how that kid whines about you messing with the graves while Dampe digs them up himself for a fee...)

...Z64 isn't exactly my favorite entry, but I might give this one a shot anyway sometime.

Yeah, sorry about the volume. Normally I play SOH mostly muted with youtube videos on in the background, so I forgot to set the fanfare volume to something standable when I started recording. Anyway, it's just a model replacement and Malon is still the same. Whenever I get an ocarina, I'll go back to the farm in daytime and we'll meet our doppelganger for a few seconds.

Aiming to record more tonight, although there's only a small handful of locations that could have progression. So the fairy ocarina has to be basically in the like four locations available in Zora's River.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I swear every time I record stuff for this thread, I get the world's most cursed seeds. The Ship of Harkinian run is dead. It wants me to use speedrun tech to progress in the Spirit Temple, which is a requirement it's never mandated before. I have a second video recorded, but it's not very good because it's just me slowly losing hope regarding the seed until I finally call it quits and open the spoiler log. So I'll just... not post that.

In a few days I'll try again.

EDIT: It wants me to use bombs to activate the crystal switch in Spirit Temple child-side. It may also want me to stand in one of the extreme corners of the room and use the slingshot to just barely clip the edge of the switch. Either way, it's tech I've never had to use before and not tech I've enabled in my settings!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

...This is a thing?

Anyway, I'm trying it myself, and my seed's a lot tamer so far. I mean, I don't have a bomb bag yet, but that's not much of an issue when I've already got Bombchus (and I turned on the Bombchu drop option too, so I don't have to worry too much about running out since I can just go find some bushes and farm more anytime). Kinda running all over the place looking for the Master Sword because I don't wanna go unarmed, but not having any actual problems yet.

Oh, right, you said you've got the "unbreakable sticks" option turned on, but is your Deku Shield fireproof?

I do have that option enabled, yeah. I don't really like being able to lose equipment because it burns to ash.

Anyway, on the randomizer settings menu, there's a tab to select what speedrun tricks you know how to do, which will logically let you perform those tricks to get the items behind those checks early. The only one I have enabled is grottos without the Stone of Agony because I've done enough of these seeds to memorize their locations. That's why I was so confused when it asked me to use tricks found on the oot speedrun tech site to get basic progression.

Also, with progressive bombchus like that, you may not see a bomb bag for a while. It's really only needed to finish Dodongo's Cavern.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

EDIT: It wants me to use bombs to activate the crystal switch in Spirit Temple child-side. It may also want me to stand in one of the extreme corners of the room and use the slingshot to just barely clip the edge of the switch. Either way, it's tech I've never had to use before and not tech I've enabled in my settings!

This speed tech in action! It's not hard to do it turns out. But I also called the seed over when I ran into this, and also poked around the spoiler log on top of that. So all the fun and surprise is gone now.

I think I might un-mirror the world and not randomize the dungeon entrances just to make the next run a little less cursed.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The screenshots look fine to me, but I'm probably not a good judge here.

I can't believe how much MM stuff you're finding! And with souls and silvers randomized, you're in for quite the long trek ahead.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

What the gently caress. Ocarina being so deep in MM meant I never would have found it. But I also strongly dislike dipping into dungeons for sphere 0 checks unless I have no other options. Putting progression on 'failing' the first cycle is kinda bullshit, not gonna lie!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

ocarina locked so much you don't even know

Z64 Combo 04: Well-Deserved Vacation

Anyway, I've managed to make a massive leap forward in progression. Still nowhere near Go Mode (not really even close to getting into a boss fight), but progress is especially good after that hellish Ocarina placement.

Making quite a bit of progress here! Although the seed really loves its MM items.

Phosphine posted:

Wouldn't vertically mirrored be upside down?

And yeeeeah. I was def. wrong about it being vertically mirrored. Horizontally is bad enough, I'd hate to actually imagine the world flipped vertically.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

These updates are doing more to turn me off of the combo randomizer than anything else. I can't stand when randos string you along with a bunch of nonsense checks without giving you what you need to make useful progress.

It's also making me glad for Harkinian's "make minigames painless" settings.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Lullaby is a big one! Like I said in my video, it blocks off a lot of stuff now and in the future. So, it puts a lot of checks into logic.

Also, a warning about killing bosses as child Link. In Harkinian, at least, if you kill Bongo Bongo as a kid, the game glitches out and forces you back into the fight. But you also need to be blatantly cheating several ways to even access him as a kid.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

:toot: Indeed! I can't imagine how many checks opened once you got Song of Time. Must have been quite the relief!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

How do you do lab dive with boots? It seems like it would be handy to know.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

If you want to, I was just curious for my own edification. :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Fierce Deity is a godsend to find, at least. Further trivializing the bosses is not a bad thing at all.

Also double or triple dipping Ganon's is just expected for me at this point, but I also play Harkinian with Greg the Green Rupee, who unlocks Ganon's Castle whenever he shows up. Although I'm honestly waiting for Harkinian to offer randomizing silvers and then putting silver packs out there to really make for a fun time. Actually give you reason to go deeper into the trials when the barrier starts dispelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Yeah, it's better to stop with a seed you're not enjoying. Especially one as mean and cruel as that one was becoming. The combo randomizers especially are so long that it's honestly fatiguing to do after a while.