Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I got really into the FF6 Chaos randomizer for a while, though it does have that issue where it's too random, so for every interesting seed, there's also five seeds where half the characters are just useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Oh, yeah, also speaking of games with built-in randomizers. The one for Crystal Project isn't perfect(some of the shuffling it does to classes tends to leave at least a couple of them as duds), but I deeply love it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

I'm going to be running through FF6 Beyond Chaos (not the open world one, that's Worlds Collide, so most of the terminology in the OP won't apply here). There's a twist though. See, the way I look at it, the appeal of randomizers is twofold. Obviously there's the inherent replayability aspect; every run is different and you never know quite what to expect. Every once in a while, though, you luck into an individual seed that's really firing on all cylinders, so much so that it manages to become a memorable experience in its own right. That's the feeling I'd like to try and tap into with this LP. How? Simple. I've already played this seed *checks notes* ...six years ago. I remember some things, but there's still plenty of room for the game to catch me off guard. And the fact that I remember anything at all should attest to the fact that this seed was a wild ride, and absolutely worth showing off. In the back of my head I've always kind of wanted to revisit it in an LP, and this thread is as good an excuse as I'm ever going to get. So, without further ado:

Let's (Re)play An FF6 Beyond Chaos Seed!

Part 1: My Special Power Is Exploding

The seed is 1488594335, if you're curious, and I'm pretty sure I left all the flags on. Huge caveat, though: obviously this ROM was generated using a very old version of the randomizer, so I can't guarantee that feeding that seed into the current version will produce the same results, especially since I'm sure there are more flags now then there were then. If you want to try and track it down, it was version 62 of Beyond Chaos (NOT EX). From a little cursory digging, it looks like this was very nearly the last version before switching to a different developer and becoming Beyond Chaos EX.

Oh, I'm excited about this. Please continue.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh man that's... that's pain.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Odd Wilson posted:

DARK SOULS: PREPARE TO DIE - Quad Randomizer

I'm enjoying this wild ride, though your framerate doesn't seem to be.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Odd Wilson posted:

NAMCO TAPE GAME- TO KILL A DARK SOLE

This is still really fun to watch, please keep it up!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Odd Wilson posted:

Spoiler Explanations:

- Finding Priscilla in a boss arena where her gimmick still works is a nice surprise. If you can manage to stagger her or hit her with anything that gives away her position for long enough (physical projectiles, mist spells) she'll become visible.

I wonder if the logic limits her to those types of arenas or whether it's completely random.

Also speaking of randomness, I feel like some of these enemy models I've never seen before. Are they normal models that've been hosed up a bit in terms of geometry/skin or does the randomizer pull from a larger library than what's actually in the game?

And what killed you with that fire breath? I couldn't tell if it was the fish(?), the dog, the knight or the bone wheel.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The classic Beyond Chaos experience: Getting like four or five characters that aren't dogshit and dreading the World of Ruin where you might be lucky to start with one of them, or worse yet have to somehow survive with someone that only knows Explode until you can find someone else.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

You've apparently got some XCom in your randomizer seed because that remaining 10% hit. It does randomize them or at least it did in our LP.

I'm assuming, though, that nothing actually guarantees the contents being better in the WoR. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

A bit less wild than the previous updates, but the goofy bad translations still make me smile.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Do you keep a map of the randomized world or just keep it all in your head? I had a friend try... I forget if it was a DS1 or DS2 door randomizer and the map he ended up with was a hilarious mess, so I'd be curious to see your map if you have one.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Ouch, yeah, rough Espers. At least you seem able to handle most encounters you bump into now.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So when you got the Intense Color, a ranged weapon, it seemed to have a normal, unmixed moveset. Can the melee and ranged weapons swap movesets? Can the ranged weapons even swap theirs, like a crossbow and a bow trading places?

Also, not being a Supreme Dark Souls Knower, did Kalameet replace the boss that's usually waist deep in magma? Because I was kind of expecting whoever replaced that boss to spawn in the magma, not the ledge above it, and possibly start melting from the contact.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Odd Wilson posted:

If they spawned in the magma below in Ceaseless's room, you'd have no ability to actually fight it- I don't think even Seath is tall enough. Kalameet also happens to have 900 Fire res, so he's probably fine even if he was in the lava.

There IS that consideration, but you never know with these randomizers, some of them expect you to do the occasional bit of 'sploity or borderline glitchy stuff to get through.

Odd Wilson posted:

Centipede Demon's room however, if we see it, will melt bosses like you're expecting. The only other fire immune bosses outside of Ceaseless and Centipede are Quelaag and Bed of Chaos bug, so otherwise it'd have to be a particularly tough boss to not melt immediately (the DLC bosses have crazy high elemental resistance). Also, the randomizer does not consider fire resistance when it places bosses there: we'll see what poor boss might die in the spicy water of orange bloom if we ever find that boss room.

I'll look forward to this, should be funny.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon Randomizer

First Session: Catacombs - Abyss Stairway - Audience Room - Outer Wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdMcr8__qIg

I like Aria, but I love Circle. I'm weird like that. I absolutely want to finish this one, I should have the skills and knowledge for it. Small blunders notwithstanding - nothing that can't be fixed with editing, eh?

I haven't played Circle of the Moon, but a few observations.

Castlevania games' most banging tracks often seem to be playing in tower-themed sections.
Why the hell does every Castlevania game seem to have knockback that sends you flying half a screen? I loving hate this. Worst thing in platformers of any kind.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Some of these triple-translated names remain high comedy. TOLERANCE TALIBAN.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

lmao, perfect timing on that end

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Odd Wilson posted:

dark salsa 10

person meets the world's most generous man

Spoiler Explanations:

- The Covenant of Artorias only might be required (the Abyss boss could be anywhere), but at the very least it's another key item gotten.
- Piles of super cheap Charcoal Pine Resin only serves to boost our scythe's damage.
- This area is mostly a dead end on that side, at least. DLC starting bonfire nicely caps off a branch.
- I mistook "dynasties" for the Blighttown key, that was actually the Crest Key- it'll let us access Hawkeye Gough, if we ever find him.

>> Last Update HERE <<

I think I might have asked this before, but does the randomizer randomize enemies on a one-to-one basis or on a type-to-type basis? Like if it replaces one Sword Skeleton with a slug, are all Sword Skeletons replaced with slugs? Because this randomizer seed seems to love slugs. Or leeches, or whatever the hell they are.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I just realized you aren't using saves states, I have to admit I haven't touched an actual save point in an emulated game in... well for as long as I've used emulators. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

FF6 Beyond Chaos: Part 7: Bosses? Where We're Going We Don't Need Bosses

Bit of a shorter update this time to balance out the last one, though it still ended up slightly longer than I was expecting.

Beyond Chaos runs always start to lose a bit of steam once you have actual reliable things that do what you want them to do, i.e. magic, more or less at will. Of course some rerolled monsters can usually still throw you for a spin, so there's still a bit of spice. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What does that SandSto skill do? Anything useful?