Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

AweStriker posted:

Dark rooms being in logic depends on your settings - there are settings where the lantern would indeed have been available some time before needing to go into one, and others where it might not and the logic expects you to do them blind. Or at least, unless they changed what settings are available.
Might also depend on the version you're playing. I can't say about old LTTP randomizers, but I vaguely recall hearing that Super Metroid used to consider suitless Norfair to be logical even if you're otherwise playing on the easiest possible settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

KennyMan666 posted:

Been a bit since I played an ALttPR seed. Maybe I should do one for the thread. Especially since I do see that it got updated last month, the first update in over a year!

Do it. The thread demands it!

No seriously, it's only one run so far; that's really disappointing for what is explicitly intended as a megathread.

(Side note: If I had a microphone I might've contributed an FFMQ run by now; that's kind of my latest fascination.)

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Cattail Prophet posted:

In theory there's nothing stopping you from doing a SSLP instead, as long as you're OK with losing the live reaction aspect! :justpost: imo

(Related: Watch this space)
Fair enough; just gimme a bit to generate a seed and I'll get started.

...let's see if I remember how to do this; I mean, I don't remember it being complicated, but it has been a while since I posted anything LP-like (interestingly enough, it was another randomizer run for a megathread).

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, turns out it was pretty much exactly as not-complicated as I remembered. Have a (surprisingly long relative to play time) SSLP post!

FFMQR 1-1, Earth region

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 24, 2023

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

jkq posted:

Yay, Mystic Quest! Will you do any runs using different settings after this one?

... Also, that seed, wow. Now I'm expecting you to get Flare and/or White in the next chest. Sheesh. :)
I might play around with the setting that mixes all the boxes around (i.e. that ammo chest in Foresta could be Flare in the next seed), yes.

And it's nice to see I'm not alone in being utterly astounded at how front-loaded this seed is.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 1-2, Fire region (mostly)

Well, it's not as absurd as Earth was, but I'm still finding Tier 3 equipment, so I guess that "three gifts" thing is kind of disproven.

Side note: I had the screenshots for this taken not too long after Earth, but didn't get around to resizing or uploading them until just now.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 24, 2023

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Funny you should say that...

FFMQR 1-3, Water region (mostly)

Near as I can tell, I got hit by a bug that erased a key item. Thankfully it was only the Mirror, but that could've led to the entire seed becoming completely impossible.

On the bright side, I'm 2 items from Go Mode now. Aquaria region was ridiculously lucrative.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 24, 2023

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

jkq posted:

Yesterday I decided to roll a seed to play, and apparently both I and the game forgot Tristam had death resistance. Some stupid tree monster had (what felt like) a 95% success rate on hitting him (and me) with a death spell. And when it wasn't using the ID, it used a paralysis move. So. Many. Restarts! :argh:

What about the item in Phoebe's house?
The death resistance ignored thing is, I'm pretty sure, a known bug in FFMQ (at least in vanilla): It doesn't update your partner's resistances until you save your game and reload with your partner already recruited. Couldn't tell you if the randomizer fixes that, though.

And there is no item in Phoebe's house; it's a brown box in vanilla, so it's a brown box in my seed.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 1-4, Cleanup

Turns out what I thought was a bug was more along the lines of active malice on the part of the randomizer devs: The Mask disappeared too; I checked as soon as I picked it up. Where did they get the absurd idea that people like stumbling around blind?! (/complaint)

Anyway, at least I should finish pretty soon. Word of advice for anyone interested in FFMQR: Don't play using SGL2022 settings if you want to see where you're going.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

Weird choice there, I can't imagine why they'd want to make the game more annoying to play. Maybe they needed to repurpouse whatever flags those items used and that's why they just disappear now? It's the only explanation I can think of beyond fake difficulty.
No, the Mirror and Mask still appear and function properly in other settings (this is not my first seed, merely my first- and likely only- SGL2022 seed); it's just these settings that erase them, so fake difficulty is the only possible explanation. If they needed to repurpose flags, they probably started with stuff like cutscenes; those're a lot fewer and farther between than vanilla, and (as you might expect) each one comes with a "you have seen this cutscene" flag which, if the cutscene itself is completely removed, can easily be repurposed.

If I had to speculate, it's an extension of the "you can go through these dungeons without the relevant monster-revealing items" logic, perhaps in an attempt to ensure that a player who stumbles on one of those items does not have an advantage over a player who just goes straight to those dungeons without the items. Despite the fact that said advantage is the entire purpose of those items.

TLDR: The only possible answer at this point is active malice from the randomizer devs.

Anyway, setting that bit of dev dickery aside...

Simply Simon posted:

Aria of Sorrow Reprise Roguelike Randomizer

I will never not have technical issues when starting a new project, no matter how many times I've done it. I'll fix the sound desynch + weirdly high quality for the next video. That is, if you all would like to see more!
I enjoyed it. Show us as much of this as you like, even if it means starting a new seed after an untimely death.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Let's (Re)play An FF6 Beyond Chaos Seed!
I never really got into FF6BC, personally, but that's not an argument against it; I've played and enjoyed FF6 before, so by all rights I should like Beyond Chaos- I just... can't play it for some reason. Maybe I've just gotten too used to open-world randomizers.

I did roll up a test seed recently with the latest version, though; Terra's abilities... were mixed: 9xRemedy (which, if the first one doesn't work, the other eight won't help any more) and 9xBolt3 (a hilariously-powerful attack). Also, she looked like FF4's Antlion, and the soldiers were General Leo. I deleted it already, because, again, it was just a test seed to help me figure out how to use the new Beyond Chaos, but... yeah. (And in case anyone's wondering: Beyond Chaos, or at least the new version, has an option to force all multicast abilities to be either 9x abilities or 8x doublecast abilities, a potential example of the latter being 8x Fire 3 + Cure.)

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 1-5, GO GO GO!

A winner is me.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Hideki is a special kind of awful- the kind where an empty slot would honestly be more useful to you. Hope you find something to turn Runic into something more useful; he'll need it.

On a side note, I've also rolled up another FFMQ seed, but haven't really started it up yet because I procrastinate way too much. It promises to be a special kind of awful too, though (deliberately so, in my case); more details whenever I get around to playing it.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbCdS5W2Lhw

Maybe next time I record at double the resolution and then it can be HD - if it matters. I don't think my encoding program can upscale losslessly because it's a bit of a dumdum
Quite enjoyable! Personally, I'd be using one of those those "guaranteed soul drop" items on a Valkyrie, since they've got one of the best attacks in the game, but since they cost so much I won't get on your case for skipping them. Might consider using one on a Winged Skeleton, too; their spears are reasonably cheap, good range, and, unless I'm misremembering, decently damaging due to its multi-hit ability (especially if you can aim it to land on your target), so they're not bad as a "budget" weapon.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 2-1, Brace For Impact

Let the train wreck commence. (Also, I went back and numbered the links to my previous run, for convenience.)

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

I thought I remembered Valk being good, but I think I'm actually conflating it with Dawn's red Valkyrie, which has an AOE holy attack that rips. Dawn's blue valk is a transform rush. Having played WAY more Dawn than Aria is screwing with me!
For good reason, it seems- judging from their animations, while Aria!Valkyrie is graphically different from Dawn!Erinys, the actual mechanics are quite similar: A powerful (but extremely expensive) Holy-element attack with a gigantic hitbox.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Current status: Got my next update written out, got the screenshots all taken... but feeling too lazy to get around to resizing or uploading anything at the moment. I'll get back to you on that.

I can say I got a ridiculous number of spells, though.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 2-2, Bombardment

In which I learn many spells.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

What's the use for all those fragments? This seed sure has a lot of them.
I need to collect a certain number of Sky Fragments to make the Sky Coin. Don't recall how many I need this seed off the top of my head, though. ...really, this should be obvious from the fact that their sprite is literally the Sky Coin split in half.

Anyway, if you use different settings Sky Fragments will never appear because the Sky Coin isn't broken.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

Once you watch the video, feel free to take a look at these and see if you can figure out where the heck I was meant to go and what I was meant to do.
Well, pretty sure I've found where the Power Grip was placed Norfair, but since I've never played Zero Mission I have no idea how it expects you to get there.

Still, though, that seed looks abominable. Thanks for warning us away from that randomizer, even if that wasn't exactly your intention; your complaints about how this isn't even the first seed you couldn't figure out means that the logic... just isn't there, and the "no updates for years" thing means that it probably won't get implemented unless the source code is public so someone else can take over.

edit: didn't see the end of the video first, but I also found where it wanted you to go for Varia: All the way down to Ridley.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 26, 2023

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 2-3, Mushroom Cloud

User error detected. Further progress pending me figuring out what the heck I missed.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 2-4, Aftermath

Don't you hate it when you completely forget an entire dungeon? :cripes:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8n_HUFte-Q

That's it!

For now?
Oh hey, I got mentioned!

Anyway, relevant stuff: I'm pretty sure I specifically mentioned that Winged Skeleton was a good budget soul; it has strengths, but damage per hit is, unfortunately, not one of them, as you'd expect from the first soul in the game. At least the "pierce through enemies" aspect has its uses, though.

Anyway, I've been doing a seed of my own after seeing this, and it's been enjoyable so far. Hope to see more of this, if you want to show it off again! (And if not, well, no hard feelings, and I hope you find something else to do, whether you show it to others or not.)

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

It's quite possible that this is due to my inexperience with the game. I have started to see some recurring rooms that always have a red soul, a +stat thing etc., but the ability soul stands are too rare for me to see a pattern in where they show up yet. In a few runs, I might be going "oh I should poke my head into one more room - ah! This is a candidate for having an ability...and there it is, cool". Not yet, though!
Bit of a tip for your next run re: Valkyries (and, probable by extension, Erinys): They seem to be easier to hit with the overhead-swinging swords in my experience, and if the sword in question is big enough you can, if you time it well, subsequently back-dash to cancel the recovery and jump out of the way of their dive (yes, I'm assuming you'll have back-dash by the time you encounter Valkyries, it's a really easy soul to get). I will, however, add the disclaimer that this tip is given from the point of view of a guy who's packing a Final Sword (as in, that one screen-height armor boss you fought? I'm literally swinging its sword around); it's really easy to hit things when your basic attack covers like half the screen.

Also managed to get fairly specific numbers for Valkyrie's damage: My Final Sword currently does around 161 damage, Valkyrie does 240-something to the same targets (somewhat muddled by the fact that, being a vampire's castle, drat near everything is weak to Holy, though honestly it might be enough that you can just treat the "weakness" damage as the baseline). As a bonus, the Valkyrie attacks faster than the Final Sword (which... swings faster than you'd expect from a sword bigger than you are, but is still pretty slow).

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I just had a bad idea.

FFMQR 3-1, Non-Euclidian Geometry

In case some utter madman wants to play along, this is version 1.4.25 beta, seed BA7C1930. And the settings are... not nice, shall we say.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 3-2, Call the Cartographer

Had some good times, had some bad times, still utterly lost.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I may need to abort this latest seed; it's forcing me to go to Pazuzu's Tower and actually fight things that're spamming 1500-damage attacks with tier 1 weapons and no armor. Needless to say, I can't survive that kind of BS.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, wasn't quite as bad as I thought; I just needed to do a lot of level grinding.

FFMQR 3-3, Pain Ensues

Well... at least the odds that the worst is over are pretty good?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 3-4, GPS Wanted

Been meaning to post this for a day or so, but I didn't feel up to posting the screenshots. Oddly, getting those screenshots wasn't a problem at all. Personally, I blame a combination of insomnia and reclusiveness.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
And since I'm uploading screenshots anyway...

FFMQR 3-5, Spinning Compass

...might as well add the update I just finished making, too. (I swear I'll get around to catching up on the other rando posts soon!)

edit: Okay, caught up now. Might as well edit in a bit of a comment on one of them...

Cattail Prophet posted:

I'm not sure if it's just the SNES translation for banish or some obscure enemy only facsimile, but either way this is bad news.
It... might be the SNES translation? In vanilla it's one of Terra's Magitek commands.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 8, 2023

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 3-6, Recruiting Guides

...Y'know, I think I actually managed to not die for the entirety of this update. In fact, looking back, this is apparently both the second update total and the second consecutive update of this run that I've managed that. Early-game hell is real, especially when map shuffle forces you into Pazuzu's Tower while attack shuffle gives everything there overpowered attacks; fortunately, I'm no longer in the early game.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 3-7, Going In Circles

Figured that whole "not dying" thing was too good to last.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 3-8, Road Found

Well, out of chests to check; next update should be the last one. It's been... a trip.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 3-9, FREEDOM!!!

This is a relief. No more eldritch geography infested with overpowered enemies wielding improbable attacks for me. And I didn't even need to abort the seed to accomplish that!

Anyway, that seed from hell has got me feeling a little burnt out. No more FFMQR from me for the foreseeable future.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

Final Fantasy Randomizer - Beginner Seed
I was too tired to watch this when it was posted, but now that I'm watching it... I'm honestly surprised (and a little flattered, actually) that you named one of your party members after me. Even if he is the weak link in the party.

As for the run itself... what the hell is the multiplier on the enemy rewards?! I mean, Imps giving like 30 XP and 160 Gold each is ridiculous.

Personally, I'd buy a few Tents too; don't remember how much they recover, but a full-party heal on demand is still good even if it's just a Heal on everyone, right? And they're barely more expensive than Heals in that seed!

From what I remember, the worst thing about Madpony in vanilla is the fact that it shows up on the way to Garland. If they were exclusive to "across the bridge" they wouldn't be so bad, but for a party who hasn't even beaten the tutorial boss yet they're brutal; I don't think they have any gimmicks or special attacks, I just remember them being the biggest beatstick in the region.

Sahags are never worth the effort even when they aren't spamming instakills.

I think those instakills you got against those Wolf groups might've been a Wolf using Glare; might've been a GrWolf, though.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

"I think this is a spike tile." Referring to sharks in a volcano. I don't really see any way that couldn't be a spike tile without using that "generate new enemies" option in the Enemizer. (Incidentally, this also explains why they wrecked you so hard: You're in the Volcano fighting enemies from the Sunken Shrine, which I think is like 3 dungeons ahead of where you are.)

After getting out of the Volcano... holy crap Hydras are scary. Because anything with instant death is scary.

I hate finding the upgrade I just bought. It offends my inner miser, and leaves me feeling stupid until the next upgrade. Which, in this case, might be permanent because I doubt you're getting rid of those ProRings.

Seeing a miniboss hype itself up only to go down in one hit will never not be funny.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

Just did a quick check, and it turns out Hrm4 actually has the same spell power as Fade. Now, Fade does apparently have an accuracy advantage, and hits non-undead enemies by default unlike the Harm series, but as far as pure power goes they're actually identical.

I've honestly been wondering why you never equipped the Heal Helmet; it beats wood, and saves a slot because your Heal-casting item is also usable armor. I mean, before it was excusable because you weren't promoted yet and were thus incapable of wearing it, but afterwards there's no real excuse: You could give it to the Ninja instead of the Wood Helmet, because they can use it too, and just throw the Wood Helmet away as obsolete gear.

Gotta say, though, Ninja + Katana = enemies get rekt. Especially if the Katana in question rolls an upgrade.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Cattail Prophet posted:

I was hoping to bum a free heal at Sabin's house, seeing as we still only have the one tent, but apparently it doesn't exist during this sequence? Weird.

Also we have 40 shurikens now.
No, actually, you're just looking too far to the west; Sabin's house is in that... alcove in the center, not in the Figaro Cave section or next to Mt. Koltz. Like, basically look directly north of South Figaro (Figaro Cave being northwest and Koltz being northeast), and you should be pretty close.

And Beyond Chaos seems to really like Shuriken drops; I started a seed (using a more modern version) as yet another attempt to get into it, and I'm pretty sure I've got max Shurikens and I haven't even gone into the Returner Hideout yet. Since I've got the "anyone can equip anything" flag on, this would be nice... if they weren't Heal Rods. Since I don't have a Throw command (and honestly don't even know if that'd bypass the healing thing), that makes them entirely worthless.

As for party "speculation"... I'm gonna guess "everyone but Goten and Hideki." Maybe just Aoi + Gilga + Cell, if you want to pick up Iria, but since I suspect Shadow's "randomly leaves the party" gimmick might still be intact for his slot (and I'm pretty sure Plot forces him to leave before you even get to Zozo) I'm gonna assume not.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I tried to play a different randomizer to get back in the swing of things. Unfortunately, it keeps crashing as soon as I level up, so it's unplayable.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

Zelda 1 Randomizer!
You were trying to figure out how to "upgrade" items on your tracker, right? Have you tried right-clicking? (Serious question; I can't hear your mouse, and I need to watch your videos a little at a time because schedules so I can't remember if you mentioned what you tried.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

oldskool posted:

woof, those are some awful espers.
They could be worse. Like, I'm pretty sure they could all have no stat bonuses and teach nothing but self-damaging spells like Merton and W Wind (sure, both of those also hit enemies at the same time, but given Merton's damage you'd probably need fire immunity to cast it without dying).