Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Yo, I love randomizers! I was just thinking about playing one recently. Definitely wouldn't mind running a fog door item rando for Dark Souls or a Portrait of Ruin rando.

I might join in sometime with a video or two if you don't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I started up a Dark Souls 1 rando (item, enemy, fog) last night and by Gwyn is it excruciating.

2 hours in, not a boss in sight, just more of the worst areas arranged in an almost entirely linear hallway gauntlet filled with the most annoying enemies alongside basically zero interesting loot. :rolldice:

Sometimes you get those, I guess. Definitely not the first seed that I've had that's a form of self-torture.

I've got some other stuff to try though, so we'll see what I eventually land on posting first.

Edit: Gonna see how Smash Melee randomizer goes tonight, otherwise I can easily lean back on a DSvania to deliver.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 11, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Geemer posted:

If you want to play randomizers with friends, consider multiworld randomizers like Archipelago.

I've never had a chance to check out Archipelago. I wonder if there'd be some way to do a multi-world randomizer for the thread.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

MagusofStars posted:

I think the way to do it would be to all jump in a Discord for a sync’d multi, then do a later video editing to put it as a split-screen so you can see everybody playing simultaneously.

Unless you meant everybody in the thread playing, in which case I think the way to go is a thread async.

Either way would be cool, although the latter is probably better on time schedules.

e:

Rosalie_A posted:

Making a randomizer, part 1

This is fun to read about, please do keep posting about this! I've always admired the creation of randomizers as working out the game's structure and design is a thing I already like to do. I'm just not good at the lower level programming work required to actually make one.

Theorizing "I have this thing, where all can I now go with it" is one of my favorite parts of a randomizer run, which is why I like map randomizers so much. That sort of logic already has to be accounted for in mixing up the maps to guarantee a complete seed, and it's just fun to start looking at rooms individually rather than the whole region they're in.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 12, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Tried a different set of seeds for Dark Souls 1 last night and I got a far more tolerable and interestingly chaotic result. I've actually even seen a boss and Firelink! I've got a real shield and not just a Dark Hand! I'll see how long it takes me to cut the hour and a half session into videos, DS1 Rando does have a lot of empty time in run backs and retreading old ground, but it's been a far less hollowing experience than the last hellseed.

Started up a DSvania seed too, but it proved to be really underwhelming.

Randomizers do get more crazy when you can pull off the speedrun tricks, but the only ones I can do are a few in Portrait of Ruin and some in Ocarina of Time.

I will check out that aforementioned roguelike Aria randomizer sometime though. Aria's not one I have a ton of experience with, but it should be fun.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

CptWedgie posted:

Do it. The thread demands it!

No seriously, it's only one run so far; that's really disappointing for what is explicitly intended as a megathread.

(Side note: If I had a microphone I might've contributed an FFMQ run by now; that's kind of my latest fascination.)

I'm still working on mine, I'm just trying to make sure the audio is tolerable in an already janky Dark Soles experience.

I'd have SSLP'd it, but I've got enough typing on my hands as is.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Crumps Brother posted:

I mentioned in a previous post, but the DWR folks are doing a Training Tournament right now to help ease new players in to the game. So I figured I'd bring that over here for anyone that wants to give DWR a try, but maybe not jump right in to the standard flagset. In this version everything is a lot tighter and easier to manage. Here's the list of what's different compared to the standard flagset:

I should give DWR a try, I've watched a number of various randomizer speedruns of the Dragon Warrior NES games, but never attempted it myself. That being said, I've also never personally completed any of them outside of a randomizer either, but details, details.

Thanks to some unexpected recording issues discovered at the last moment, I had to redo what I had for my Dark Souls 1 rando run, but it was probably for the best as the new seed I've got now is a special kind of crazy. I've managed to fit Paramdomizer in on top of the other three, as while I still haven't been able to stop it from randomizing the damage stats on weapons even when the option is off, I did find a seed that didn't just tape +200 elemental damage to everything in the game (it actually made most weapons worse than usual, but that's not relevant). So now I have weird movesets and casting animations to go with the surrounding insanity.

The most unfortunate part is that the enemy randomizer really took a fancy to some of the worst enemies in the game but it's made for a... unique challenge. I died around 15 times trying to get out of the first hallway, for reference.

Unrelated to that is this image, as a fun spoiler to what kind of nonsense I've wrought. It's mostly incomprehensible anyways:

Still no idea if it can even be completed, the Fog Gate randomizer still throws errors, but we'll take it as far as we can if that's the case. I'll have the first video out in a few days currently cleaning up the audio, hopefully it's worth the wait.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 22, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
DARK SOULS: PREPARE TO DIE - Quad Randomizer

an extremely normal game of dark soles

behold the journey of person, holy and of book book clan (skip to about 12 minutes in to stop seeing me die in the first hallway)
v v v v v v v v v v v v

More seriously, I've used all 4 available randomizers:

Item Randomizer- Shuffles up all the items, including key items.
Enemy Randomizer - Randomizes enemies, bosses included, with potential scaling.
Paramdomizer - Messes up a lot of other game data, from movesets to stats to dialogue to hitboxes...
Fog Door Randomizer - Rearranges the entire map of the game using all kinds of fog doors, including ones normally only shown in multiplayer sessions.

The end result is a chaotic gauntlet of enemies and confusingly arranged rooms, all in a desperate search for something good. Sometimes painful, sometimes quite fun, and is truly an awful something.

To add to this, I also tacked on the Poorly Translated Souls mod, the result of running the game's script through 15 machine translations between different languages. Everything is horribly mangled and kinda hard to understand, but it's funny and sorta creates it's own lore.

You can see my settings here:

Tell me if you want to see more of this or what I can improve on. VLP live commentary is far from my strong suit, but I like to give it a shot every once in a while. I've got other stuff I can (and plan) to do.

This thread has really reawakened my dormant joy for randomizers- I haven't had a chance to watch or read a lot of the other submissions thus far, but rest assured I will. I've been incredibly busy between this and my other two LPs.

Spoiler Commentary for this Episode:
Finding 1 of the bells early is a nice boost, although we still have to find the other for it to open all of 1 door.

"And" is the Cleric class, thus the healing. "Fly From Death" is the unused death protection spell and is kind of a nice hit in a game like this. Having a Blighttown Brute replace one of the Gargoyles was a 1% chance on these settings, thus my surprise at it.

Movesets:
Bare hands- Medium Shield
Broken Sword- Whip
Ghost Scimitar- Bastard Sword
Club - Curved Greatsword

Every weapon is pretty bad thus far, stats included, the club being the only one barely usable. Usually you're hoping for something like dagger/curved sword on a ultra greatsword or something, and in regards to the stats, split damage types are usually pretty bad in DS1 thanks to how the damage calculations work. There's a reason why my club with 180 total damage is doing 50 at best most of the time.

-> Next update here <-

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 29, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

DoubleNegative posted:

One is just a crime. :hai:

It is true. :haibrow:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Well, accidentally spent my whole day on a Dragon Warrior III Randomizer playthrough. It's been a hell of a ride thus far and I'm still only roughly halfway through it in regards to key items? Only knowing a few vague things about the game has made for a rather emergent experience.

I'll have to write it up in some way when I'm not so busy (and behind on other updates).

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm enjoying this wild ride, though your framerate doesn't seem to be.

It's a miracle this laptop can emulate Wii games as well as it does. This thing has never run Dark Souls:PtDE at a stable framerate, and never will. Although, it's not like PtDE ever had a stable framerate to begin with.

Consider it an extra layer of jank to go with the rest on display :v:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's a sad finale but that's just how things go sometimes I guess. You beat Death but you still died.

I think this means that you become the new Death now at least. Someone's gotta take his place.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
NAMCO TAPE GAME- TO KILL A DARK SOLE

in which we acquire outstanding gloves, go to Greenland, de-feet a boss, and meet an unknown rival

not particularly in that order

the book book perseveres and marches well

Episode Spoilers:

- Finally having a shield is nice. The Large Leather Shield isn't great, but it's serviceable.

- Fly From Death seems to give the effect of a Ring of Sacrifice and has infinite duration, although it gets lost on zone transition. We are not at risk of losing souls now, which makes this whole affair somewhat easier.

- The Lava Ring is our first key item in the game, although all it does is dramatically reduce the damage dealt by lava. That opens all parts of Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith, provided we ever find them. It also adds fire damage to any kicks or accidental mario stomps.

- Centipede Demon being completely stuck was a mercy, but I could have beat it even if it did move. Just would have taken waaaay longer because I'm sure I would've got hit by the jumping explosion attack in the low-health phase.

- Upgrade paths have entirely random damage stats so it also remains to be seen if any of them are remotely useful with all this titanite we have.

- Stat build-wise, I'm leaning into HP for now but we'll start building a lot of STR soon. A big part of paramdomizer runs is finding weapons with brokenly good movesets, and we can't see if a weapon has a good one unless we meet the STR requirements (DS1 has a unique wimpy swing animation if you don't). The stance by which we hold a weapon is not indicative of anything, our club holds like a polearm and our ghost scimitar holds normally when both should be on the shoulder.

in the next episode, things get explosive and we meet a recovering? addict who's not wearing pants.

-> Previous update is here <-

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 29, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I did also record some of a Ocarina of Time randomizer on the side, my old classic go to. I used to do a lot of bingo races, but that was over two years ago and I'm surprised to see how much I both remember and forgot. There's a lot of uneventful backtracking with a completely randomized overworld (gotta love one-way pathways) so I'll have to edit it harder than the souls stuff when I do eventually get around to it.

It's an... interesting seed? It's not the best I've had, but there's some stuff going on with it.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

This is still really fun to watch, please keep it up!

You'll be happy to know I still have like 6 hours of recording to work with and no shortage of locations to check still. When you run these randomizers on the more unfair settings like I've done, they tend to be rather extensive affairs that ask you to check every item spot. The Lordvessel (or in our case, Gwynevere's Room) tends to be really hidden as it cracks the game wide open. I believe I've found all 4 golden doors, the question remains of what lies behind them.

A funny thing I forgot to mention in external commentary about the fog door randomizer is what we see in this last episode with quit-outs. Because of the way the doors are now all teleports, quitting out doesn't escape you from the boss room. This means that you get less opportunity to heal up and re-buff (if you even have charges left to do so) as you're just thrust right back into the fight. A fair price to pay for being able to cheat out of grapples or getting flung off ledges.

Still hoping for something like a Zweihander with Ricard's R2, but what we've got is working pretty alright.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Despite having spotty power earlier this week thanks to windstorms, I found the time to get 3 more episodes edited for the namco tape game. In between me having multiple false alarms that I lost the voiceover recordings because I titled the files terribly given it was like 1 AM in the morning, of course.

In between all this, I came to the realization that our character may be some (cursed) form of a Red Jinjo.

This is a strange way to say I should have the next few videos up soon. I've still got that DW III rando sitting around plus some of an OoT one too, of course.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
he died to kill a dark soul, part 3

our unusual hero acquires a powerful weapon, falls through a chimney, and meets many strange people

if anything, our fashion souls is taking shape slowly but surely

next update, we get deep

Spoiler Explanations:

- big explosion is a Great Scythe with 1h Axe R1s and the R2s of the Painted Guardian Sword. This definitely leverages the range much better than the normal moveset, but as shown in the video it can be difficult to hit smaller enemies. Regardless, this weapon will be our mainstay for quite a few episodes. Even if it had a worse moveset, the 400 AR is more than enough to use it over everything else. The R2 both shreds enemies and our stamina bar.
- Finding Priscilla in a boss arena where her gimmick still works is a nice surprise. If you can manage to stagger her or hit her with anything that gives away her position for long enough (physical projectiles, mist spells) she'll become visible.
- We did not get everything out of the graveyard, I basically didn't get any further than the Turn White Kitty (barbed whip).
- Throwables seem to also have the eating animation. It's strange. The base angle is better, but we can't dead angle for longer or shorter throws.
- The Stone Sword would be nice if it's damage wasn't so bad. The range + poise damage could be pretty good. No idea what the R2 is though.

- The next episode is almost entirely Depths. It's a zone that doesn't have any particular gates and there's no multiplayer fog doors to worry about, so you pretty much clear the whole thing when you find it. It felt longer than it was, but rest assured, it's not particularly exciting. We'll never have to go there again though.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 5, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

CptWedgie posted:

I just had a bad idea.

FFMQR 3-1, Non-Euclidian Geometry

In case some utter madman wants to play along, this is version 1.4.25 beta, seed BA7C1930. And the settings are... not nice, shall we say.

Gotta love map shuffling. :allears:

Map/door randomizers are my favorite form of randomizer. I just like slowly unraveling what spaghetti nonsense the world has become over time.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

I wonder if the logic limits her to those types of arenas or whether it's completely random.

Also speaking of randomness, I feel like some of these enemy models I've never seen before. Are they normal models that've been hosed up a bit in terms of geometry/skin or does the randomizer pull from a larger library than what's actually in the game?

And what killed you with that fire breath? I couldn't tell if it was the fish(?), the dog, the knight or the bone wheel.

I'm pretty sure she's available for most arenas just because of her size. There's a good many other bosses who just don't fit in a lot of rooms (Kalameet, Manus, Taurus, Iron Golem, Ceaseless, Gaping Dragon) while she fits in a lot more rooms. I think it just happened to be a happy coincidence but Nito's, Guardian Chimera, and Kalameet's are other ones with water now that I think about it. I don't actually know for sure, I don't see her often in my runs.

These are all normal enemies in the game, it just pulls a really wide assortment of nonsense. There's a lot of enemies you only see a few of showing up in droves. Annoying boulder guy with stake on the back I think only has 2 spawns in the entire game, both being in the section just before Oolacile Abyss. Those red dogs are exclusive to Blighttown, only showing up a few times in the upper section. I'd say there's about 6 total in the game, including the one inside the lift treadmill.

The little red dog is the one with the fire breath. The fish you're probably referring to is a Darkroot Frog, generally forgettable enemies only found beyond the killable trees outside Moonlight Butterfly's section. There's probably only 4 or 5 in the game, notable for dropping Green Blossoms. (Fire breath could also be from a Blighttown Crag Spider, although I don't remember dying to one.)

Enemy Rando loves Humanity Sprites (as we've seen), and (if you don't disable them) Izalith Maggots. Haven't seen a Vagrant yet (the enemy most people don't know is even real), which is surprising. My previous seed had an obsession with Large Sprites + Dark Sorcerers + Royal Wood Guardians + Clams. In a very linear layout. It was bad.

I still think it's rather funny we can see what having 1 Resistance actually does to a character. Everything just bleeds or poisons in 2 hits.

Crumps Brother posted:

Instead of knocking out the next training tourney flagset I decided to do a stair shuffle flagset instead. Just for you! About this video: I started with previously mentioned Aaron2u2's advanced standard flagset because I used to play that a bunch and knew it was stair shuffled. I totally forgot about the treasure guards so that was a surprise when it came up. Random chest locations wasn't needed, but it pairs well with stair shuffle for really forcing the exploration and spelunking.

This started out with some promise but it did become a bit of a hot mess of silly mistakes near the end after most the cave diving was over. Feel free to stick with it if y'all want, but quitting once I find the bottom floor of charlock is understandable too. I'll edit in the rando link later when I'm back at my computer tonight.

Ooh, I might wait and try playing the seed myself before watching the video to see how much our paths diverge. Could be a fun experiment!

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 7, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I did want to say I've got the 4th Dark Souls episode ready, but I'm currently dealing with some technical problems holding me back from getting it uploaded.

Currently very, very busy, but I've still got stuff for this thread. I'll get to it eventually.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

jkq posted:

FYI, the black shirt (on SSmn) casts Ice 2 in battle.

Gotta love old RPGs and randomly attaching usable spells to everything that you'd never find out about unless you just randomly try stuff.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Yeah, I'm just reminded of all the stuff in Phantasy Star IV I had no ideas about until way later. Kinda crazy you can just spam Gisar off a staff, or invoke Laconia weapons for holy spells.

Speaking of the PSIV randomizer is really good. It hacks some stuff to even let you play with semi-sorta custom characters and pre-includes some bingo-like gamemodes.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Man, I have got to get to writing up that DWIII randomizer run soon. It's a hell of a ride with the instant death spells.

It'll still be some time before I can get the next Dark Souls video up. It feels bad it's taking this long to get an already finished episode uploaded, especially given it's just clearing the entire Depths

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
very normal unjank darksouls playthrough #4

In which we make dealings of rare and raw

we obtain hat

Spoiler Explanations:

I'll be honest, I forget what happens in this one outside of us getting a hat. Oh, and trying to fight Kirk but him not showing up. I don't know what the randomizer did to the invaders. If you have any questions though, you can just ask.

Sorry this took so long to get uploaded somehow. Believe me, I tried, but YT was fighting me with this one. Hopefully the next two I've had done for the last 2 weeks now upload without issues.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

A bit less wild than the previous updates, but the goofy bad translations still make me smile.

Yeah, this was overall a much more sedate time, but at the very least that's the entirety of As Well cleared so we can skip through it later. The saving grace of Depths in randomizers is that nothing stops you from getting everything all in 1 trip.

Really hate that I had to end up with uploading issues on these on what is basically the filler episode of all things, but that's how it be sometimes.

The next two should have more unusual things going on in them.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
dark shoe soles 5

we investigate the Giant Big Reptile Pit with aid of the DA DA

then we break barriers with an old acquaintance

Spoiler Information:

- Not a huge amount goes down here, but it means we now know a way to another of the Lordvessel locked doors.
- The Halberkrystall (Crystal Halberd) is very interesting, at least for the fact we now know the base Halberd has the 1h-Sword moveset. If our scythe wasn't so high damage, I'd be using it. The crystal downsides (20 durability, unrepairable) mean it's a weapon we'll pull out for a particularly evasive or fast boss (Arty, Sif, Manus, possibly Sanc Guardian)
- The bit at the end shows both how far armor goes in DS1 and also really the main way of beating the Four Kings. I didn't buy the paladin plate for just fashion reasons.
- In the next few episodes, I change our clothing around a bit, but I might go back to Witch Hat, PG, Maiden Gloves, and Black Tights. It's a good look, almost feels signature to our person now.

>> Last Update HERE <<

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

Do you keep a map of the randomized world or just keep it all in your head? I had a friend try... I forget if it was a DS1 or DS2 door randomizer and the map he ended up with was a hilarious mess, so I'd be curious to see your map if you have one.

I've been keeping it all in my head, or at least I was while I was actively running the seed. It's been a month or more since I last ran it and while my memory of it was good, it's definitely faded now. I at least remember what places to look at when I get back to recording.

I used to do a lot of full map randomizer races of OoT so I have a good head for it, though since I mapped on the fly and, my maps usually looked something like this:

Kak
anju - start
wmill - shop hookshot150

grave --> lake
kak-field -> gerudo v. gside

But I was already planning on drawing out a real map for this sometime, yeah. One of my favorite parts is seeing the new, weird world layout created in it's entirety, and I'm gonna need to do it anyways to refresh myself on everything.

DS1 has less map pieces overall to worry about since it doesn't have OoT's interior locations, but the tricky part is remembering every item you've picked up. I really have to clean sweep the map on these settings.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Now we know that the side the Balder side sword refers to is the right one

person, uncovering answers to questions we didn't even know we had

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
dark shoe tape 6

in which we clean up some locations before person gets some rest and protects nestle

... before we encounter a nightmare in the framerate dimension

(skip to about 11 min for meaningful gameplay)

Spoiler Information:

- Just cleaning up some loose ends at the graveyard before moving on. I did not enjoy having to run back to the graveyard multiple, especially at 2 AM.
- We've closed off some connections into loops which is good. We now know that the Anor Londo main hall connects to Firelink through two different paths.
- Disappointed that the BKGS got a whip moveset, that tends to be funky or non-functional on most weapons, but there's always a chance the R2 is good. I don't think the Paramdomizer changes the hidden damage up against demons effect it has.
- why are there so many base heal miracles im glad we dipped into faith
- The Eye of Death we found long ago grants us passage through the Gravelord Servant coffin, which happens to be Ceaseless Kalameet. Lucky for us, we've long had the Orange Ring so we can move through the lower section of Demon Ruins without beating him. We can probably ignore him for a while and come back if it seems we're missing a key item.
- We got the Large Ember, in case we ever see Andre.

-This is the end of my first recording session, and what audio I had cleaned. It'll be a week or two before I can get this back on track as I'm currently recovering from a pretty hot garbage week that put me behind on all my LP work- I just had this one already done.
- I still have that DW3 rando run too, I'll get something with it done eventually, I've just gotta make more portraits.

>> Last Update HERE <<

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

So when you got the Intense Color, a ranged weapon, it seemed to have a normal, unmixed moveset. Can the melee and ranged weapons swap movesets? Can the ranged weapons even swap theirs, like a crossbow and a bow trading places?

Also, not being a Supreme Dark Souls Knower, did Kalameet replace the boss that's usually waist deep in magma? Because I was kind of expecting whoever replaced that boss to spawn in the magma, not the ledge above it, and possibly start melting from the contact.

I'll be honest and say I don't touch the ranged weapons too often, but I can''t recall a melee weapon ever getting a ranged moveset. I imagine the randomization on ranged can maybe swap between shortbow/longbow/greatbow and crossbow/weird crossbow (avelyn, sniper).

If they spawned in the magma below in Ceaseless's room, you'd have no ability to actually fight it- I don't think even Seath is tall enough. Kalameet also happens to have 900 Fire res, so he's probably fine even if he was in the lava.

Centipede Demon's room however, if we see it, will melt bosses like you're expecting. The only other fire immune bosses outside of Ceaseless and Centipede are Quelaag and Bed of Chaos bug, so otherwise it'd have to be a particularly tough boss to not melt immediately (the DLC bosses have crazy high elemental resistance). Also, the randomizer does not consider fire resistance when it places bosses there: we'll see what poor boss might die in the spicy water of orange bloom if we ever find that boss room.

Fun fact: Despite what you might think, Demon Firesage's fire resist isn't that good, it's nearly equal to Stray Demon's and is only kinda middling. Even Gwyn has more than Firesage.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 1, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

Why the hell does every Castlevania game seem to have knockback that sends you flying half a screen? I loving hate this. Worst thing in platformers of any kind.

I think it's a holdback from the original game where knockback is intended to punish sloppy gameplay with instant death.

Portrait of Ruin has an armor that makes the knockback higher, if you want.

This reminds me that I should do a PoR rando run for the thread still, but I'm still behind on even getting to the Dark Souls videos. DW III rando is ready to write up but I'm way behind even on my main LPs.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 10, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

CptWedgie posted:

PoR happens to be the DSVania I'm playing, actually (it's probably my favorite DSVania). Not saying you can't do it if you want, but... overlap. Probably less overlap, since you actually have the ability to do videos instead of being stuck with screenshots, but some.

Hey, it's my favorite DSVania too!

If you want to avoid overlap I can do a little more of a crazy rando. Mix up all the stats and movesets, enemy speed, the map, the whole works. I tend to play with some stat randomizing and map randomizing anyways.

Still, me running it is probably a way's off. Kinda got my hands full already.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Rigged Death Trap posted:

oof the PoR Randomizer can be rough If you get a seed with nested paintings.
Still a lot of fun though.

I love the nested paintings. It gets a bit ridiculous sometimes, but it's fun for me, the map rando person.

CptWedgie posted:

This is actually pretty close to what I'm doing. Item stats (including users- think Charlotte's using some kind of sword last I left off), item animations, enemy placement, and, of course, the item placements and drops.

I can do a bit more of a vanilla challenge run with mine, maybe keep it to item locations, map + portraits, Hard Mode, something like that.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Got myself sat down and did up all the rest of the footage I have for the Dark Souls rando, should be getting those uploaded regularly again soon.

DW3 is still on the table if I don't start a little something on the side first, and I might do up a Portrait of Ruin rando tonight, and see if I can get an interesting seed.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

CptWedgie posted:

On a tangentially-related note, I hate insomnia. I can never bring myself to do anything after a couple days of bad sleep (not that that's unusual, but still). Had to go back to bed for about 4 hours to get enough rest to actually get around to playing.

DSVania: Portrait of Random 1, Entrance

...might as well post the first update of the POR seed I started before I got Mario working, right?

I know the pain with insomnia. It's awful, and mine's been pretty bad lately as well. :(

I tried starting my PoR one last night and regretted trying to do it on Hard immediately. Then I got foolishly competitive with it and refused to back down until I beat at least the first boss. It was turning into a unique challenge that was asking me to attempt to grind items to maybe find anything useful to use, so that contributed too.

...I have yet to find a single weapon for either character. Anything, literally anything that isn't 8 Damage Vampire Killer and I could make progress... :negative:

I'll see how it comes together as a video, but I also doubt anyone wants to watch me die constantly for 30 mins - 1 hour depending on editing. Running it on Hard makes it a real hellseed.

Anyways, 8 more episodes of the Dark Souls rando are uploaded, and another 3 hours recorded last night, so expect to see regular updates for that again.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
very normal unjank darksouls playthrough #7

in which person obtains 5 big bedrooms

Spoiler Explanations:

- Finding a smith is nice, especially the one who can work with all the green titanite we have... if the Fire infusion didn't apparently become complete garbage.
- Our scythe is becoming increasingly irreplaceable. As much as I'm not a fan of the battle axe moveset it's got, the damage is huge and it's usable compared to all the other garbage we've found.
- Catacombs is going to be a strangely pivotal shortcut location in our future.
- 100% shield at last is finally quite nice. RIP Large Leather Shield, you served us well.
- Blighttown is annoying with spawns as what would randomly spawn more swamp flies now spawns copies of whatever replaced it.

>> Last Update HERE <<

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

Some of these triple-translated names remain high comedy. TOLERANCE TALIBAN.

Given it was supposed to be "Thorolund Talisman", it's not... that far off?

It's even more crazy to me that every single weapon gets a different name based on upgrade level and infusion. We will never see them all, unfortunately.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
very normal unjank darksouls playthrough #8 AND #9

person challenges their old rival

person meets a philosopher

Spoiler Explanations:

- Double update because I cut these short and meant to put one out earlier this week.
- The entrance of Demon Ruins is a complete nightmare, but we can technically progress through there with the ring. We'll have to return later.
- Ortorias had really low HP. We keep finding low HP Oreos, actually.
- Sen's Fortress opens more than few illusory walls to us, the only one locked off is the door that normally goes to the Parish beyond the front gate.
- I forget to visit the fog door on the side with where you normally exit to the upstairs section to, I'll have to remember to check it and the chest at some point.
- Still can't find a decent weapon that can match the mighty exploding bedroom.

>> Last Update HERE <<

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 22, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Crumps Brother posted:

Just a heads up, but the links are backwards.

Fixed, but it's almost more appropriate for this jank playthrough to be like that.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

CptWedgie posted:

Quick update just so you guys know I haven't disappeared off the face of the earth: Still kicking, still haven't given up on my DSVania seed, still can't get it working yet. Kinda suspecting it might be an emulation error, but getting back to where I was to check is kinda time-consuming considering how many stages I went through.

So... fair warning: It might take a few more days before I can definitively say whether I can continue this seed.

Fair enough, thanks for the heads-up. Sometimes a randomizer bugs out or gives you a super obscure path forward. I still don't actually know if my Dark Souls randomizer can be completed, but I haven't run into a hard wall yet.

I've still got my rando for PoR sometime that I should edit if anyone's interested in seeing Jonathan and Charlotte lost in the two-shot City of Haze Maze. I won't lie, I started to get a little tilted towards the end.

I'll get another of the Dark Souls videos put up soon, I've got 4 more still in the backlog but my week has been a mess.

(I did get some significant progress on a map done at some point.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
dark salsa 10

person meets the world's most generous man

Spoiler Explanations:

- The Covenant of Artorias only might be required (the Abyss boss could be anywhere), but at the very least it's another key item gotten.
- Piles of super cheap Charcoal Pine Resin only serves to boost our scythe's damage.
- This area is mostly a dead end on that side, at least. DLC starting bonfire nicely caps off a branch.
- I mistook "dynasties" for the Blighttown key, that was actually the Crest Key- it'll let us access Hawkeye Gough, if we ever find him.

>> Last Update HERE <<