Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

Okay, turns out it was pretty much exactly as not-complicated as I remembered. Have a (surprisingly long relative to play time) SSLP post!

FFMQR, Earth region

Yay, Mystic Quest! Will you do any runs using different settings after this one?

... Also, that seed, wow. Now I'm expecting you to get Flare and/or White in the next chest. Sheesh. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

might as well clarify why I was so dismissive of Tristam's resistances earlier: He is only resistant to Fire (not special) and Instant Death (not likely to even be used while you've got him)

Yesterday I decided to roll a seed to play, and apparently both I and the game forgot Tristam had death resistance. Some stupid tree monster had (what felt like) a 95% success rate on hitting him (and me) with a death spell. And when it wasn't using the ID, it used a paralysis move. So. Many. Restarts! :argh:

CptWedgie posted:

Since that was the only item I can get from Aquaria until I thaw it, off to the nearest dungeon!

What about the item in Phoebe's house?

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

The death resistance ignored thing is, I'm pretty sure, a known bug in FFMQ (at least in vanilla): It doesn't update your partner's resistances until you save your game and reload with your partner already recruited. Couldn't tell you if the randomizer fixes that, though.

Yep, I've definitely hit that bug in vanilla, and I guess in rando too.

CptWedgie posted:

And there is no item in Phoebe's house; it's a brown box in vanilla, so it's a brown box in my seed.

Whoops, right. I play with the locations shuffled, so it's a check for me.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

FFMQR 2-1, Brace For Impact

Let the train wreck commence. (Also, I went back and numbered the links to my previous run, for convenience.)

Yay, new FFMQ run!

... No dungeon floor shuffle, 0/10. :colbert:

Pretty nice start on items though, with the shield, armor, and Flare+White spells. Now all you need is to be able to cast them!

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

FFMQR 2-2, Bombardment

I bet there're some people who don't even know what [Refreshers] do!

Refreshers are what you drink when you're hanging out in Fireburg listening to the band. :guinness:

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

FFMQR 2-4, Aftermath

Don't you hate it when you completely forget an entire dungeon? :cripes:

Ugh. I did something like that once on a seed with the dungeon levels randomized. I forgot to visit one of the staircases, and of course it eventually led to the Moebius Crest.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

I just had a bad idea.

FFMQR 3-1, Non-Euclidian Geometry

In case some utter madman wants to play along, this is version 1.4.25 beta, seed BA7C1930. And the settings are... not nice, shall we say.

Oh boy, those settings. :munch:

The two times I ran with full map shuffle, I definitely had to take notes. Those seeds each took ~4hrs to finish. I decided to stop running full map shuffle after that.

Good luck!

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Crumps Brother posted:

Changing things up I figured I'd run an FFR seed for the thread. This'll take a few videos, but should be a fun time. Beginner flags for now, but if someone wants to put together a flagset for me to run after this one I'm game.

FYI, the black shirt (on SSmn) casts Ice 2 in battle.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Odd Wilson posted:

Gotta love old RPGs and randomly attaching usable spells to everything that you'd never find out about unless you just randomly try stuff.

Yup. The FF1 randomizer adds the effects in its select button pop-up box, which is nice.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Crumps Brother posted:

What a weird random check that the player can't ever fail outside of the randomizer.

IIRC, there's a door in the sea shrine that is locked by the mystic key.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Since you skipped/dropped a few nice pieces of equipment:

• Dragon Armor + Aegis Shield + Pro Ring = 5/8 "elements" resisted on the Knight. About as good as it gets, since there are only 3 ribbons in the game. And you were about to class change anyways...
  • Pro Cape = Shield slot for mages. Better than nothing, even though they don't get hit that much.
  • Power Glove ("Powe-2") = Damage buff, use on self in battle. Pretty nice since you have that Katana on CptWedgie. And later the Masamune for yourself. It's basically a weaker "TMPR" that's self only (since I think you mentioned that you forgot what SABR did).

LOL at you basically summoning WarMech.

For Crack, it's not death "element," so the Pro Ring doesn't help. :)

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Crumps Brother posted:

For the bosses, is it better to self-buff and cast fast for one turn instead of attacking and spending multiple turns buffing with a second character?

I never did the math to figure it out. It just always bugged me when the attacker went before the guy casting fast on them, felt like wasted potential. :)

I guess it really depends on what the second character casting the buffs can do. If it's a mage with nuke, less turns buffing is more turns casting nuke.

Crumps Brother posted:

It's even easier in rando because now we can buy all the potions in one go. Siting there for 10 minutes buying heal potions one at a time trying to fill the inventory used to be a staple of this game.

Turbo controller. :c00l: But yeah, "good" times mashing A to buy heal potions.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022
Time to farm up 20+ seeds and Flare/White everything?

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

Dammit.

Z64 Combo 06: Bait And Switch

Of course as soon as I run out of MM checks it finagles a way to force me to do MM checks anyway... why wouldn't a seed like this do that?! :rant:

CptWedgie posted:

...This is gonna be another case of progression being locked behind the stupidest possible check, isn't it?

CptWedgie posted:

...As I'm sure you've noticed by now, this seed is evil.

At this point, you probably ought to just check the worst locations first.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

No I shouldn't, because that much concentrated frustration would lead to a ragequit. I'm sure you guys're morbidly curious about where the next bit of (presumably MM considering the trend) progression is, and if I drop the seed you'll never find out, right?

At the very least, doing the not-the-worst-possible-location checks first gives me time to cool off between oh-god-why locations.

I didn't mean all in a row. :)

Just do one first, and then a bunch of "cool off" locations afterwards.

You'll find the OoT light arrows or something! And then no bow for the next 3 hours, 'cuz evil seed :negative:

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

So basically do what I've been doing already? (Mostly because the seed's been funneling me through all the bad checks and I'm last-locationing them all out of a desperate hope that I didn't roll the worst possible seed out of sheer bad luck.)

Kinda, yeah.

CptWedgie posted:

And joke's on you- I got both bows in the first update. That said, with how things are going that's about how I expect OoT Song of Time to go, and since I need the song to go adult that'd have much the same result.

Oops, sorry, I'd forgotten about that. Drowned out by the MM heart pieces? ;)

DoubleNegative posted:

These updates are doing more to turn me off of the combo randomizer than anything else. I can't stand when randos string you along with a bunch of nonsense checks without giving you what you need to make useful progress.

It feels more like a bad set of options to me. Too many places and things to check.

CptWedgie posted:

really, half the problem is that I specifically picked settings which turned out to be utterly terrible, without adding any safeties to prevent this disaster.

Yep!

CptWedgie posted:

I am at least reasonably certain that I just had the misfortune of getting a particularly bad seed. Bad seeds can ruin otherwise-good randomizers for you if they happen to be your first exposure to the randomizer in question.

This too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

Whether my continuation of this seed is Sunk Cost Fallacy or not... well, personally, I'm leaning "yes."

Thank you for your sacrifice! :patriot: