Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

oof. our aussie's herd instinct and nipping was so bad my wife bought a pair of uggs to wear around the house for like 3 months to protect herself. i dont have a ton of advice to offer but just want to say your experience reminds me a lot of my own -- its ok to make mistakes and you are trying really hard, i think it will be fine in the long run even if it is stressful and hard now. i know i made a ton. I also wanted to add that if you are interested, I found this book really useful when working on training my dog as a puppy, for understanding what was going through her head https://www.amazon.com/Decoding-Your-Dog-Explaining-Behaviors/dp/0544334604/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

post hole digger posted:

oof. our aussie's herd instinct and nipping was so bad my wife bought a pair of uggs to wear around the house for like 3 months to protect herself. i dont have a ton of advice to offer but just want to say your experience reminds me a lot of my own -- its ok to make mistakes and you are trying really hard, i think it will be fine in the long run even if it is stressful and hard now. i know i made a ton. I also wanted to add that if you are interested, I found this book really useful when working on training my dog as a puppy, for understanding what was going through her head https://www.amazon.com/Decoding-Your-Dog-Explaining-Behaviors/dp/0544334604/

It's good to know everyone goes through it. Will def be reading that at some point in the next few weeks. black friday(e comm job) and an on site next week + puppy have my mental capacity pegged.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Took Bud on an extra long Thanksgiving walk this morning (partially because he woke me up at 3 o'clock in the morning). Found a pretty cool little farmer's market.

He refused to go down to the gum wall alley. (presumably because of the noise from the Steam company [not Valve, that's in Bellevue, we went there yesterday])

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

that is absolutely revolting (not the dog)

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

graph posted:

I understand this but just can’t get behind the level of revolt people have for it. It’s not like any of the other walls in the city are particularly sanitary. The mountains of barely chewed gum probably aren’t even in the top 5 disgusting things going on in that alley.

Thanksgiving dog content.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

for the first time, i purposefully gave poodle jones a piece of human food.

it was peking duck breast that i smoked. he enjoyed it very much.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Yall see that dog Covid or whatever going around. Be careful out there

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

we had a bunch of old dog toys and such in good condition that belonged to the previous poodle jones in the garage. i cleaned em all up and such so that poodle jones could use them. pj did not enjoy wearing his new vest

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

we are blessed with lots of parks with wide open green spaces. they are usually empty as early as we go for morning walk.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

this was very funny to me.

i grabbed that book and it's helping me out a lot with patience and learning what he wants. because somedays he takes us to the limit. he's great with going outside though. knock on wood. we have a trainer coming the 12th so hopefully we learn some more stuff to make life easier for all of us.

we have tried two intros with father in laws dog and they both went terribly so we're putting the can on that until the trainer comes.

the cats are back to their usual routine's. they've sniffed each other. marie bopped him once already so we're going to stop letting him go near them until the trainer comes. he does the puppy play pounce on the same spot thing and that's what got him bopped. I was calling come but he hosed around and found out.

also he was going to get fixed this weekend but i found studies that said large breeds getting snipped early increases hip dysplasia. we were able to talk the shelter into letting us do it with our vet at a later time(thanks to wife's great people skills). probably going to be done at 6 months but possibly 12 if he isn't a psycho.

on the hip dysplasia front. i also read that stairs too early can contribute greatly. i now have to carry this lil piggy up and down the stairs for the foreseeable future. i read it should be up to 12 months but i doubt he will let that happen for that long and as strong as i am I doubt I can carry a resisting 60lbs(PLEASE DON'T BE BIGGER THAN THAT) safely up and down 3 flights of stairs multiple times a day.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

got him a nice harness from wolfgang that is way better than the stupid martingale collar he sometimes chokes himself with when he takes off full speed after a falling leaf.

i like happy crate smiles.

probably going to have to wait for the trainer to address this. how do we enforce dogs ok on couch when invited to absolutely never ever on the bed?

oh and one last thing does anyone know of a crate cover for the midwest ultima pro 36" crate? the dimensions are slightly bigger than what they are stated as. so the midwest crate cover we bought is about 2" too short from the ground.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oof i had a bunch of unread posts itt

cat dog joe: glad your chihuahua is feeling better! i was genuinely worried about the little guy and since he is similar in age to eggy actually made me avoid the thread a bit :ohdear:

KD: see if you can teach him some simple "up/down/yes/no" commands. we were happy to let eggy on our bed but he eventually just got too old to jump up onto it, but either way "down" should get them to go down. not quite on command since they might not understand why you want them off at first, but you shouldn't need to do it more than a couple times. as for nipping: eggy's instinct for that never really went away either, i'm not sure it's possible to completely eliminate in a shelter dog (zeus wouldn't bite family but anyone else? hoo boy.)

i've found the most effective deterrent is to overact at how badly it hurt (usually necessary, they're typically not really trying to hurt you) and then act all sad/afraid of them until they "apologize". it won't eliminate the behavior entirely but it got eggy to go from drawing blood to just scratching with teeth or putting his mouth on us, instead of biting down. i know that's not exactly what you'd want from him, but it's an improvement you might be able to work with further (he seems much younger than eggy or zeus was when we adopted them)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also for teaching "up/down": pointing actually worked very well in teaching them to eggy, but not zeus. for him we just had to wait for him to go up or down, and say "ah, that was up!/that was down! good boy" etc.

kinda like kids, every dog is different so you just need to work with them and see how they learn

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dogs on the bed is good actually. just get a bigger bed

no, bigger

_bigger_

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
i sleep in a big bed with my dog

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Pookie with a snow mustache.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

he likes to snuggle

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

such a doofus. he got complimented at the vet today for behaving so well. "that's a good dog"

vet tech estimated 45-55lbs fully grown and boy do i hope he's right.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

sleepy gary posted:

Pookie with a snow mustache.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

jojo has blisters on both front paws in between the first two toes(?) on the dewclaw side. they both popped after he jumped off the garden bed (which he isn't supposed to do anyways) while we were playing with a soccer ball. imagine my horror when i look down to see blood paws.

idk if this requires a vet trip. going to call the shelter and see what they want us to do as we're still technically fostering.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Achmed Jones posted:

dogs on the bed is good actually

1000%

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

graph posted:

agreed

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

new ball day

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
same

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
we bought a new collage picture frame and filled it with doggo pictures and i :3: everytime i walk by

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
moments before a dog turns a corner and nearly takes me out trying to jam his head into my crotch for scritches :argh: stupid dogs

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lucy is kind of a bitch

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

akadajet posted:

lucy is kind of a bitch

that's violet you idiot

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

drag his rear end

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

seriously. what a philistine

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

that's violet you idiot

fine, I'll take the probe or whatever

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

AAUGH ! !

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cds: I've been doing some jogging with my dog lately. It's fun when I can let her off the leash and she just casually runs circles around me while I'm trying not to die.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

"seat's taken"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Achmed Jones posted:

"seat's taken"

what the gently caress

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

dog long, so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

started looking into car crates and jesus these things are expensive. seem worthwhile since the wife plans on traveling with the dog a lot.

also we got his dna test results