Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I don’t even know how many megahertz my current laptop processor has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
drat. same

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

sometimes I use my personal phone during work hours

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i think tech is a bullshit job and your level of compensation and the impressiveness of your resume and cv is mostly down to luck and knowing people

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i think absolutely no job in tech actually requires 8 hours of work per day

6 at most, often 4~5

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that’s less a confession and more an accusation

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i do not program the computer

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Pollyanna posted:

i think tech is a bullshit job and your level of compensation and the impressiveness of your resume and cv is mostly down to luck and knowing people

that's all jobs lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I can’t remember the last time I wrote a line of code, aside from using vizzy in juno: new origins, also I followed a game maker tutorial recently but I used the visual blocks or whatever

ten years ago I was hacking the Nintendo DS. what happened to me

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

i think absolutely no job in tech actually requires 8 hours of work per day

6 at most, often 4~5

confession: i think it's impossible to be productive for more than 4-5 hours a day average

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

confession: i live on the cheap because i think tech is a bubble about to pop and i won’t have a job soon

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I never beat Zelda: breath of the wild or bloodborne, despite those being two of my all time favorites

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

AlbertFlasher posted:

some days I actually like my job

same except most days

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

its the confession thread, i'd feel bad probating them for something even this loathesome

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Pollyanna posted:

I think 90% of tech workers are a bunch of bitchmade manchildren that are insulated because a bunch of middle management types don’t want to look stupid(which they fail at). the other 10% are apathetic and deal with crippling ennui.

To test my theory: go to any conference in tech and watch the people.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AtomD posted:

confession: i think it's impossible to be productive for more than 4-5 hours a day average

wrong. ive had multiple low impact manual labor jobs were you could maintain pretty consistent levels of output for 8+ hours a day easily. i probably could have done 12

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
i've been working as a software developer professionally for almost 20 years. i doubt I could even code fizzbuzz without googling first. i've been lucky in my career in that i've never had difficult interviews that involved actual coding, and never had to be forced to pair program where I'd be exposed as a fraud. i've recently been promoted to engineering manager.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

fart simpson posted:

wrong. ive had multiple low impact manual labor jobs were you could maintain pretty consistent levels of output for 8+ hours a day easily. i probably could have done 12

it’s hard to maintain thinking and sitting work for that long tho. it’s also hard to maintain for more than low impact manual labour. when I was doing labour the worst days would have me walk over 20km with heavy pushing and lifting, i appreciated the workout but that’s not smth I could maintain for 8 or 12 hours, our shifts tended to be a bit shorter than that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

OldAlias posted:

it’s hard to maintain thinking and sitting work for that long tho. it’s also hard to maintain for more than low impact manual labour. when I was doing labour the worst days would have me walk over 20km with heavy pushing and lifting, i appreciated the workout but that’s not smth I could maintain for 8 or 12 hours, our shifts tended to be a bit shorter than that

sure but some people’s job is just “we need a guy to sit in this chair all day and stop people from entering this doorway” or whatever

it’s not impossible to work more than 5 hours. depends on the job

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I’m not actually customer obsessed

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

OldAlias posted:

I’ve got about 6 hours a day of real focused programming work in me. After that I can shoot off emails or chat in the dev chat room but my real work day is done

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Armitag3 posted:

Forgive me stallman for I have vimed

hehe

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Modulo16 posted:

I think 90% of tech workers are a bunch of bitchmade manchildren that are insulated because a bunch of middle management types don’t want to look stupid(which they fail at). the other 10% are apathetic and deal with crippling ennui.

which one am i

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

fart simpson posted:

sure but some people’s job is just “we need a guy to sit in this chair all day and stop people from entering this doorway” or whatever

it’s not impossible to work more than 5 hours. depends on the job

ok how about

quote:

it's impossible in tech to be productive for more than 4-5 hours a day average

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Modulo16 posted:

im both

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

lowering the veil of irony here: i have too and its easier to maintain output at a job like that for a full shift than it is for computer jobs

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I never had a sega saturn OR even a genesis

same op, but i wanted a mega drive more than anything in the world when i was 9 or 10 or so

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

that's all jobs lol

some jobs are important and meaningful, like nurse, cleaner, cook, teacher

but they get paid gently caress all and treated like poo poo. the more important your job is, the less you get paid

i am ‘manager, public sector solutions architecture’ and get paid about 6 times what a cleaner would get. if my job was erased from the planet no one would notice. if suddenly public spaces were filthy we’d all freak out immediately

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is indeed most jobs where there are like 3x wage differences for doing basically the same task, but that doesn't include most actually important jobs.

i hosed up taking my academic position by not bothering to negotiate my wage very hard, thinking that with the tiny 10% span between wages i'd be able to make that up in negotiation after the first year. instead it turns out that the starting wage is basically the only thing i had any control over, now i get centrally determined raises and i am just that percentage down from others in my precise situation permanently. oh well v:shobon:v

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i meant the compensation and resume being based on knowing people and luck part

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I love to zone out sewing, I can do it all day and night

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I miss Netware.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Pollyanna posted:

which one am i

I dunno. Probably in the cool group. This is answered on how you treat service staff.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Silver Alicorn posted:

I never had a sega saturn OR even a genesis

My last console was an Atari 5200.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zlodo posted:

I kept using a modded Amiga 1200 until 2001 or so, with a PowerPC board and poo poo. I gave up when I messed up a pointer in some c code and it managed to make the filesystem gently caress up all my data (no memory protection lmao)

Then I became a freebsd guy

Then I became a gentoo guy

Then I became a kubuntu guy

I programmed only in 68k assembly for years

Then I became a C guy

Then I became a C++ guy (which i still am)

bad_computer_decisions.txt

:worship:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

that's all jobs lol

lol idk a lot of healthcare jobs pay poo poo for the level of work and stress involved and the pay scales are usually highly predetermined because most of the jobs are the same as already established roles with established pay rates

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
e: not confessions about being incompetent you idiot

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 13, 2023

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

When I was younger I forced PC-BSD on the family computer.

I had no idea how CUPS worked (and still don't) so nobody could print anything.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ok, confession time

when my boy was younger, he used to love minecraft, so I ran a minecraft server for him off one of my many linux boxen :chord:

so for whatever reason i had to reboot that machine and the kids were playin on it, and there was some guy making like just a ton of melons, idk why, every 5 seconds on the server console it was like "so and so created 10 melons"

so i hollered down at my son that i was gonna play a joke on them and to just go along with the gag, and i said as the server "SON YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT ALL THESE MELONS! WE TALKED ABOUT THIS SEVERAL TIMES ALREADY. THATS IT, I'M GOING TO TAKE THE SERVER DOWN IF YOU CAN'T STOP WITH THE MELONS"

and there was a silence and then the kid was like "im sorry about the melons sir, i didn't know'

anyway then i rebooted the server and the boy eventually told them it was a joke so no harm done just some lighthearted minecraft shenannigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

looking back on it i'm not really sure thats a confession, seems more liek an anecdote. Anyway, take it how you will.