Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

rotor posted:

ok, confession time

when my boy was younger, he used to love minecraft, so I ran a minecraft server for him off one of my many linux boxen :chord:

so for whatever reason i had to reboot that machine and the kids were playin on it, and there was some guy making like just a ton of melons, idk why, every 5 seconds on the server console it was like "so and so created 10 melons"

so i hollered down at my son that i was gonna play a joke on them and to just go along with the gag, and i said as the server "SON YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT ALL THESE MELONS! WE TALKED ABOUT THIS SEVERAL TIMES ALREADY. THATS IT, I'M GOING TO TAKE THE SERVER DOWN IF YOU CAN'T STOP WITH THE MELONS"

and there was a silence and then the kid was like "im sorry about the melons sir, i didn't know'

anyway then i rebooted the server and the boy eventually told them it was a joke so no harm done just some lighthearted minecraft shenannigans.

who was that boy? melon musk

his life up until this point has been a careful scheme to get back at you. one day, when you least expect it, he will put his hand on the plug and with a dastardly grin yank the power source to another twitter datacenter, with you none the wiser probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i'm also running a minecraft server on my synology because my kid and her best friend love it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
as far as video games go you could do a lot worse

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

rotor posted:

as far as video games go you could do a lot worse

it's really the only one she plays so yeah

sometimes she downloads a lovely IAP-ridden app but my wife and i refuse to do iaps so she gets bored with them real quick

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Not sure I even like computers tbh. I do like video games though

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I'm worried the job market is going to get tight in this field in the future, and it's going to squeeze me out. Which is really frustrating since this is all I have ever wanted to do for a living, and I don't want to end up getting phased out from people who only try to do this for the $.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

those jerks, doing their jobs for money

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

those jerks, doing their jobs for money

assholes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

post hole digger posted:

lowering the veil of irony here:

big mistake buddy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pollyanna posted:

ok how about

i dont have much to say about that; its why i quoted the other persons post and not yours

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor u hosed up that nice polite kid, they gonna be psychologically scarred for life now

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I wish I could take the bus to work. Well I can but I wish the bus didn't take 1 hour to get to work vs the 20 minute drive.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

fart simpson posted:

i dont have much to say about that; its why i quoted the other persons post and not yours

ya I am concurring

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

confession: I wish I knew JavaScript because I am concerned that my long term career prospects will suffer if I don’t

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Bloody posted:

confession: I wish I knew JavaScript because I am concerned that my long term career prospects will suffer if I don’t

I feel like its always javascript/react they're autogenerating in these "chatgpt can write all my code now" demos so maybe its for the best

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

confession: i slack off a bit when im wfh

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

confession: sometimes i wfh just because i feel like it or have errands to do

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
some people have a theory of everything, and some people just have theories about everything. I've always though zizek was in that latter category and wrote him off as a charlatan.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
One night I was driving home from the bar. It was 2AM and I'd had too much too drink. I thought it'd be OK given how late it was, I didn't think anyone would be out.

I was just about home when I heard this HUGE thunk. "gently caress gently caress gently caress I'm hosed". I pulled over and stepped out to check the damage, hoping I'd just hit a person or something.

It was bad. Case was all mangled up, wires hanging out everywhere, bits of CPU all over the pavement. Didn't know an IO shied could bend that much. I couldn't even find the PSU.

I didn't stop to see if this thing would post. I just picked up what I could and stuffed it into one of those big IKEA bags I keep in the car, drove down to the river and dumped it.

When I got home i realised i stank of corsair hydro x coolant so i stripped off, chucked my clothes in the washer and hit the showers. Told my wife I bumped the car into a parking meter

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i dont really understand 99% of what people say in the bad programming or linux threads

my linux experience is mostly piping in random ascii into cowsay and chuckling

the worst programmingf ive done is accidentally spell time "tiem" and spent 3 days trying to figure out why a program was broken

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’ve never written code in a professional setting

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

RokosCockatrice posted:

some people have a theory of everything, and some people just have theories about everything. I've always though zizek was in that latter category and wrote him off as a charlatan.

he is

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Bloody posted:

I mean, you can probably fake it pretty easily, it's not that difficult of a language. Experience is mostly just learning all the weird quirks that crop up here and there. Should use typescript most of the time anyhow.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Buck Turgidson posted:

One night I was driving home from the bar. It was 2AM and I'd had too much too drink. I thought it'd be OK given how late it was, I didn't think anyone would be out.

I was just about home when I heard this HUGE thunk. "gently caress gently caress gently caress I'm hosed". I pulled over and stepped out to check the damage, hoping I'd just hit a person or something.

It was bad. Case was all mangled up, wires hanging out everywhere, bits of CPU all over the pavement. Didn't know an IO shied could bend that much. I couldn't even find the PSU.

I didn't stop to see if this thing would post. I just picked up what I could and stuffed it into one of those big IKEA bags I keep in the car, drove down to the river and dumped it.

When I got home i realised i stank of corsair hydro x coolant so i stripped off, chucked my clothes in the washer and hit the showers. Told my wife I bumped the car into a parking meter

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i find women attractive

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i like typescript and think people should stop whinging about javascript

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

git apologist posted:

i find women attractive

same but in a gay way

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i can’t get angel eyes by roxy music out of my head but am resisting rotors tip of thinking of the baby elephant tune, because angel eyes slaps and i don’t wanna lose this feeling

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

I likely have more professional respect for anyone who posts here than any random person from a FAANG

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

git apologist posted:

i can’t get angel eyes by roxy music out of my head but am resisting rotors tip of thinking of the baby elephant tune, because angel eyes slaps and i don’t wanna lose this feeling

my confession is that roxy music fuckin owns

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Share Bear posted:

I likely have more professional respect for anyone who posts here than any random person from a FAANG

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i also dont get the billions of recruitment em,aisl taht the dudes in the intervierw thread get

i think the only fanglike interview i got was from adobe and they ghosted after my in person. oh well what are you going to do

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Share Bear posted:

bad news about who posts here

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i also dont get the billions of recruitment em,aisl taht the dudes in the intervierw thread get

i think the only fanglike interview i got was from adobe and they ghosted after my in person. oh well what are you going to do

i used to but thats over now lol

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

I think I've had precisely one of those that ever went anywhere so you aren't missing out on much

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i got pitched a non-dev job by an fb recruiter once and then was asked to go through a bunch of leet code poo poo as part of the process. uhh no??

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

i got pitched a non-dev job by an fb recruiter once and then was asked to go through a bunch of leet code poo poo as part of the process. uhh no??

SV has this sickness where knowing how to write code is a gate to do literally any job, including jobs that have nothing to do with coding.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

post hole digger posted:

bad news about who posts here

a random one versus one who posts here, one would override the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

SV has this sickness where knowing how to write code is a gate to do literally any job, including jobs that have nothing to do with coding.

at an old job, the CEO insisted on hiring engineers for every position, including HR.