Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i like a small amount of lpg.. as a treat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yes i know the smell is actually sulfur something that’s been added idc

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

loving southern california and their obsession with frying tortillas

wtf dont put that on us

unless youre talking poo poo on chilaquiles in which case we're just gonna fight but i can also dismiss you as a taste-haver

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. …Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end.

[he reflects on this for a moment and frowns. Then he gets up and walks away. Willard stares at him in disbelief]

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

echinopsis posted:

soft taco around crunchy taco

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

ADINSX posted:

I once worked with a senior dev that insisted unit tests should check for the exact text of an expected exception down to the line number. Meaning that any time a line was added or removed from those files, the tests would fail :waycool:

ay was trying to catch the specific expected exception from that one function call but not falsely catch exceptions of the same stack trace in that block of code.

i get what it was trying to do but thats the dumbest way to do that.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

wtf dont put that on us

unless youre talking poo poo on chilaquiles in which case we're just gonna fight but i can also dismiss you as a taste-haver

nachos and hard shell tacos both come from socal

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

fresh_cheese posted:

ay was trying to catch the specific expected exception from that one function call but not falsely catch exceptions of the same stack trace in that block of code.

i get what it was trying to do but thats the dumbest way to do that.

He also wrote his own library of utility functions with awesome stuff like left padding strings with zeros (by default, left pad by anything you want!) and tried to get us to use it. I asked how this was better than Apache commons stuff (or a gazillion other things) and he said he’d have to check that out

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

ADINSX posted:

He also wrote his own library of utility functions with awesome stuff like left padding strings with zeros (by default, left pad by anything you want!) and tried to get us to use it. I asked how this was better than Apache commons stuff (or a gazillion other things) and he said he’d have to check that out

wait, was that me, but 20 years ago?

:confused:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I convinced my best friend to buy a voodoo card when they were pretty soundly being beat by nvidia/ati

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

nachos and hard shell tacos both come from socal

hard shell was invented by immigrants in tx and ca at basically the same time, but you can't blame immigrants for what midwesterners did later

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

unless we're blaming german immigrants then it makes sense i guess

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i’m kind of a little manic and i’m sort of only realising it, at 42 years of age

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
silver lning?

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I think decimal time was actually a good idea and it would be worth the adjustment pains to not have to deal with timezones ever again.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I forget if I mentioned I’d never seen a red panda irl, well, now I’ve seen two! one of them even moved

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

InternetOfTwinks posted:

I think decimal time was actually a good idea and it would be worth the adjustment pains to not have to deal with timezones ever again.

swatch internet time :cool:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I prefer A4 over 8.5x11 paper

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

AlbertFlasher posted:

filthy communist

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Beeftweeter posted:

filthy communist

:ussr:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AlbertFlasher posted:

so long

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
metric paper ftw

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tfw all your paper folds down to the next size or folds
up to the next size

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tfw when you quad your paper down two sizes

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

echinopsis posted:

tfw when you quad your paper down two sizes

OK but this part works for literally any rectangular paper.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yeah the only thing special about euro sizes is they have some sqrt(2) relationship which tef was real excited about but i cant remember now.

it shouldnt be surprising that even imperial paper sizes are all based on "take a big fuckoff sheet and fold it in half a bunch of times"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i guess except for legal, thats some bullshit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tbh i don’t actually know much about US paper but does it have the attribute that each size up or down is exactly folded in half or doubled?

like you can make two A5 papers from cutting one A4 in half

Doom Mathematic posted:

OK but this part works for literally any rectangular paper.

I was claiming the quad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

oh i see

kinda a weird way to do it, but ok

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

echinopsis posted:

tbh i don’t actually know much about US paper but does it have the attribute that each size up or down is exactly folded in half or doubled?

like you can make two A5 papers from cutting one A4 in half

I was claiming the quad

not quite, but tabloid (11"x17") is two letter (8.5"x11") side by side. otoh legal is 8.5"x14". in practice, most paper is letter, occasional tabloid.

tbh when i want paper that isn't letter or tabloid, i look for intl paper sizes!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gnossiennes posted:

not quite, but tabloid (11"x17") is two letter (8.5"x11") side by side. otoh legal is 8.5"x14". in practice, most paper is letter, occasional tabloid.

tbh when i want paper that isn't letter or tabloid, i look for intl paper sizes!

17x22 is a thing, its just that people who aren't printers never see it

its legal thats the oddball

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

rotor posted:

17x22 is a thing, its just that people who aren't printers never see it

its legal thats the oddball

17x22?? hot dog now that's a sheet of paper

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
confession: i really liked using legal pads for notes in school

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gnossiennes posted:

17x22?? hot dog now that's a sheet of paper

like they go up from there too, iirc, paper mills make paper in like ... 8? 12? foot wide rolls so

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

old style full sheet newspapers were like 2x3 feet

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

like they go up from there too, iirc, paper mills make paper in like ... 8? 12? foot wide rolls so

that cant possibly be right.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
im the next magnus carlsen

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

that cant possibly be right.

hey i lived downwind from a paper mill for 12 years, i think i know what i'm talking about ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

america always does the dumbest possible thing with measurement, amazing