Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Skip and Loafer (スキップとローファー/Skip to Loafer) is a romantic comedy/coming of age story where the action takes on the form of the Hegelian dialectic. It is airing in the U.S. on Crunchyroll.

In Hegelian dialectic, the operation of the synthesis is sublimation (Aufhebung) of the original dichotomy of thesis and antithesis. That is, rather than the antithesis conquering the thesis, the conditions of the conflict are fundamentally redefined. This is the function of the character dynamics in Skip and Loafer. Each dyad of characters (not just the two leads) works dialectically on a particular angst associated with adolescence. E.g., authenticity vs. artifice, self-actualization vs. social integration, specialization vs. generalization. Compare to a "manic pixie dream girl" where a staid or uptight protagonist is exposed to a "free spirit" and learns to live/laugh/love. That is, the protagonist in a MPDG story is exposed to an opposing/upsetting force and but only one side emerges fundamentally changed after the end of the encounter. Whereas, here, both parties take on oppositional sides but produce a synthesis. E.g., Shima is running late to the opening ceremony in the first episode because he overslept and didn't care about it, Mitsumi is running late because she followed directions too closely and was unable to intuit her new surroundings. The synthesis wherein both make it to the ceremony requires adaptation and change from both characters and results in a new modus vivendi.

For instance, take the symbolism in the ED:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT553CVWyO8

Mitsumi is walking along a path that fades gradually into the a set of punchcards to be fed into a machine. She is determined and set on a goal one she has planned out from the beginning of the series. Her rainbow footprints indicate her path so far. A less dialectically inclined series would have them eventually veer off, perhaps indicating that she has found new goals. But instead, the footprints take a few brief jumps indicating dancing or skipping, and then she is back on track: her experience over the course of the series does not result in the mere support or negation of her life plan and dreams, but the "yes, and" of an existence that is both meaningful and enjoyable.

Central Dyad:
Mitsumi Iwakura

Girl from the sticks who was a prodigy in her home village and moves to Tokyo. Interior locus of control.

Sosuki Shima

Popular and handsome boy from Tokyo. Exterior locus of control.

Supporting Characters:
Nao:
Mitsumi's aunt. Works long hours in fashion. Has a very interesting arc, psychoanalytically speaking, that I don't think will occur in this season (it's chapter 33 or so).

Fumi:
Mitsumi's childhood friend and confidant.

Classmates:
Egashira:
Fashionable?

Murashige:
Standoffish?

Kurume:
Shy?

Yamada:
Desperate?

(Each will get at least an issue where these traits are, again, undermined and revisited in light of a new synthesis)

In summary, look at these goobers dancing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWoXl2RxdKg

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Well said indeed [puffs on bubble pipe]

I think I would describe Egashira as desperate, also trifling

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
I originally described her as "somebody whose worst nightmare is to be an extra in a shoujo manga" but it wasn't quite apt.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Second episode was great as usual, Mitsumi's song is gonna be stuck in my brain for days.

What's the thread policy on gifs? Surprisingly, this anime has potential for some really good ones.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Love Skip and Loafer, Mitsumi is a wonderful goober

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Scallop Eyes posted:

Second episode was great as usual, Mitsumi's song is gonna be stuck in my brain for days.

What's the thread policy on gifs? Surprisingly, this anime has potential for some really good ones.

gifs are fine, there are some good ones already between op dance, rainbow barf, etc.

i also don't care about manga spoilers but i know other people do so i am defaulting to only discussing what's been aired but i am happy to go hog wild and/or just put things in spoiler tags depending

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Tree Goat posted:

gifs are fine, there are some good ones already between op dance, rainbow barf, etc.

i also don't care about manga spoilers but i know other people do so i am defaulting to only discussing what's been aired but i am happy to go hog wild and/or just put things in spoiler tags depending

would like to request spoiler tags for manga stuff since i'm starting with the anime

skiploaf owns

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The things Hegel does to a motherfucker's brain...

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

this is the good one

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I appreciate this op. Thank you for the thread Tree Goat!

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

v. good. there are some good mitsumi faces ahead of us, as well (beyond no-sleep face at the end of ep 1)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The manga is so good, didnt even realize there was an anime!!

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Was planning to start this next month till I realised it's airing this season :cloudnine: Hit's those exact Honey & Clover notes I really enjoy in a series production.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tree Goat posted:

Skip and Loafer (スキップとローファー/Skip to Loafer) is a romantic comedy/coming of age story where the action takes on the form of the Hegelian dialectic. It is airing in the U.S. on Crunchyroll.

In Hegelian dialectic, the operation of the synthesis is sublimation (Aufhebung) of the original dichotomy of thesis and antithesis. That is, rather than the antithesis conquering the thesis, the conditions of the conflict are fundamentally redefined. This is the function of the character dynamics in Skip and Loafer. Each dyad of characters (not just the two leads) works dialectically on a particular angst associated with adolescence. E.g., authenticity vs. artifice, self-actualization vs. social integration, specialization vs. generalization. Compare to a "manic pixie dream girl" where a staid or uptight protagonist is exposed to a "free spirit" and learns to live/laugh/love. That is, the protagonist in a MPDG story is exposed to an opposing/upsetting force and but only one side emerges fundamentally changed after the end of the encounter. Whereas, here, both parties take on oppositional sides but produce a synthesis. E.g., Shima is running late to the opening ceremony in the first episode because he overslept and didn't care about it, Mitsumi is running late because she followed directions too closely and was unable to intuit her new surroundings. The synthesis wherein both make it to the ceremony requires adaptation and change from both characters and results in a new modus vivendi.

For instance, take the symbolism in the ED:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT553CVWyO8

Mitsumi is walking along a path that fades gradually into the a set of punchcards to be fed into a machine. She is determined and set on a goal one she has planned out from the beginning of the series. Her rainbow footprints indicate her path so far. A less dialectically inclined series would have them eventually veer off, perhaps indicating that she has found new goals. But instead, the footprints take a few brief jumps indicating dancing or skipping, and then she is back on track: her experience over the course of the series does not result in the mere support or negation of her life plan and dreams, but the "yes, and" of an existence that is both meaningful and enjoyable.

Central Dyad:
Mitsumi Iwakura

Girl from the sticks who was a prodigy in her home village and moves to Tokyo. Interior locus of control.

Sosuki Shima

Popular and handsome boy from Tokyo. Exterior locus of control.

Supporting Characters:
Nao:
Mitsumi's aunt. Works long hours in fashion. Has a very interesting arc, psychoanalytically speaking, that I don't think will occur in this season (it's chapter 33 or so).

Fumi:
Mitsumi's childhood friend and confidant.

Classmates:
Egashira:
Fashionable?

Murashige:
Standoffish?

Kurume:
Shy?

Yamada:
Desperate?

(Each will get at least an issue where these traits are, again, undermined and revisited in light of a new synthesis)

In summary, look at these goobers dancing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWoXl2RxdKg

I’m not reading this

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
sorry to hear that!

luckily, if you don't want to read the manga, the anime is airing tuesdays on crunchyroll:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G9VHN9185/skip-and-loafer

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I meant the op, op

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Namtab posted:

I meant the op, op

If that is because it's too long, then try:

Skip and Loafer is about a well-meaning but highly driven goober who goes to Tokyo and meets a boy who helps her grow up and self-actualize, and is different from most of the other stories like that because the supporting cast all have interesting things to do rather than be foils for the central romance, and also the artwork is often funny and charming.

If it's because you want to know more about how dialectics can be used to analyze narratives or structure events:

I recommend Marx's The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Napoleon, available in the public domain including Wikisource, but of course you could always jump directly to Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Episode 2 was good, Show is charming. Blond boy clearly has a little more to him than meets the eye. Also interesting that it appears the aunt is getting clocked as a transwoman, I assume that's going to be an interesting part of the narrative going forward, but they seem to be handling it maturely.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Talorat posted:

Episode 2 was good, Show is charming. Blond boy clearly has a little more to him than meets the eye. Also interesting that it appears the aunt is getting clocked as a transwoman, I assume that's going to be an interesting part of the narrative going forward, but they seem to be handling it maturely.

Yes, she gets more to do later. I think her stronger POV chapters won't be in this season, though, at the current rate.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Namtab posted:

I’m not reading this

I’m not reading this

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
thanks to the op for making me reflect on this aspect of the show, because i really did enjoy the sense of agency expressed by the side characters in the second episode. definitely more blatant with murashige and egashira, but i think the pin girl is the best example. in like two 30 second scenes we can clearly see how she feels about mitsumi (fashion icon) and parts of the cast at large, and how she grows from her experiences with them. it's especially striking to me because the whole time this is going on our main character has almost no idea who pin girl is and can barely understand what she's saying.

it's fun to contrast with some of the more recent rom coms i've watched where side characters don't really exist (dress up darling), side characters don't really exist and the main guy also doesn't really exist (quintuplets), and --this one is probably the most ideologically opposed to the skip and loafer experience-- side characters are solely checkmarks in your quest log (komi).

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Big Leg posted:

thanks to the op for making me reflect on this aspect of the show, because i really did enjoy the sense of agency expressed by the side characters in the second episode. definitely more blatant with murashige and egashira, but i think the pin girl is the best example. in like two 30 second scenes we can clearly see how she feels about mitsumi (fashion icon) and parts of the cast at large, and how she grows from her experiences with them. it's especially striking to me because the whole time this is going on our main character has almost no idea who pin girl is and can barely understand what she's saying.

it's fun to contrast with some of the more recent rom coms i've watched where side characters don't really exist (dress up darling), side characters don't really exist and the main guy also doesn't really exist (quintuplets), and --this one is probably the most ideologically opposed to the skip and loafer experience-- side characters are solely checkmarks in your quest log (komi).

Yes, how realized the rest of the cast is the biggest thing I like about the manga/show and why it extend a bit beyond the basic premise for me.
Your komi example makes me laugh (it's spot on) but for me I've always thought of them as the random townspeople with One Weird Quirk that you'd see in a jrpg or western indie game with jrpg worship (e.g. undertale) - they can be cute (with one or two who are genuinely awful, like stalker girl) and they're around, but that's all you get.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
all the characters in this series are so good, but nao-chan is the best

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
ep 3 is out!

in this episode kurume is haunted by a cryptid, possibly from space, who, like most cryptids, cannot be captured on camera.

there's also a long discussion/extended metaphor about how, rather than limiting yourself to just sweet or salty popcorn, the combination of the two can be delicious and open you to new experiences. this is dialectical, and i almost had one of the panels about this from the manga in the op, but tbh caramel popcorn is kind of gross and i'm team shio all the way.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Ah yes, Rhett Butter and Scarlett Ohana, protagonists of my favorite Hollywood classic, Bone In The Wind.

Anyway I feel like this ep would be the best example so far of S+L going beyond the typical high school romcom

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Tree Goat posted:

there's also a long discussion/extended metaphor about how, rather than limiting yourself to just sweet or salty popcorn, the combination of the two can be delicious and open you to new experiences. this is dialectical, and i almost had one of the panels about this from the manga in the op, but tbh caramel popcorn is kind of gross and i'm team shio all the way.

what about those aluminum tubs of popcorn that have butter, caramel, and cheese

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Southern Cassowary posted:

what about those aluminum tubs of popcorn that have butter, caramel, and cheese

I never end up eating the caramel and wish it had more cheese or butter instead.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

DurosKlav posted:

I never end up eating the caramel and wish it had more cheese or butter instead.

depending on the execution i prefer caramel or cheese but butter is definitely last

they're all fine though

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

caramel just tastes like stale popcorn

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
proud salted buddy here. cheese also counts as salt in this case

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
my favorite part of this episode is the completely silent exchange between mitsumi and shima when he reminds her to get kurume's contact info. they're so adorable and natural together.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I didn't hate the op as much as other people apparently did so I'm posting here, don't make me regret it.

This series is incredibly cute and wholesome. I like that it shows so much kindness towards its characters, even the ones who aren't particularly kind themselves. Like in the whole thing with Egashima in episode 3. The way she was behaving in episode 2 I thought she'd be this mean girl type, which shows up a lot in shojo. But in ep 3, when she's feeling down because she's comparing herself to Yuzuki, Sousuke actually tries to cheer her up, despite what happened in ep 2. And it really stood out to me, that he didn't try to rub it in or mock her or something. I feel like you don't often see characters who are assertive but also kind

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The OP is good, what the gently caress?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I love the Skip and Loafer protagonist. She is very unique for a high-school-age romcom.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Mitsumi is a massive loving dork and she rules

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The OP is good, what the gently caress?

Think they mean the thread OP, not the show OP.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SexyBlindfold posted:

Mitsumi is a massive loving dork and she rules

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Ibblebibble posted:

Think they mean the thread OP, not the show OP.

ah yeah, i should've specified that's what i meant

op stands for too many things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
this episode was a little slower but did have some good mitsumi faces (not including mitsumi-as-goofy-cat moments from takamine)

takamine i find interesting because mitsumi is very clearly somebody who is perceived as being wound too tight (by her teachers and her friends both old and new), and yet, just through juxtaposition with takamine, is cast as a sort of devil-may-care slacker. it's why i like the dialectical lens: you look at how pairs of characters interrelate and what traits they bring out in each other, and how a new mode of relation arises from this conflict. it would be so easy to just make takamine a "villain" or a bad example or something and leave it at that, but that's not how the character dynamics work here! egashira, as mentioned up thread, is another example where you could just make her a "mean girl" who is or is not won over by mitsumi and call it a day, but instead they do something more interesting with her.