Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
loved both halves of this episode. takamine experiencing the dark night of the soul because mitsumi found a cat is amazing

pictured: absolute despair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
This series really is a gem. Makes me happier every time I watch an episode.

There was some great animation in that final volleyball match too

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1653458633127067648?s=20

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

the scene in the classroom was good, made the rest of the class seem like more than background characters

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
visual confirmation of successful synthesis: egashira is allowed to make silly faces

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Egashira is a great character in that her initial impression as the typical mean girl gives way to her very relatable need to feel 100% aware of every social situation or else her life will be eternal suffering. This makes her a great foil to the guy who should get his focus episode soon, who is 100% aware of every social situation entirely against his will and because of this his life is eternal suffering.
High school!!!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

mitsumi may not, but i do! (although i was out of town last week, so i didn't get to talk about egashira's moment in the sun as much; in short, i like how this show doesn't take the easy route of having supporting characters just be collections of bad traits that just get "fixed" by contact with the pure-hearted protagonist, but rather has both characters evolve and change in more mutually-supportive ways).

this week's episode is bookended by a reflection on fumi's sort of behavior-based explanation of love (love is when you exhibit love-like behaviors, wanting to be around someone all the time, hanging on their every word, etc.). this behaviorist notion is found in stuff like the suspension bridge effect: since your heart races when you are walking across a suspension bridge, you can misattribute the symptom for an unrelated cause of being in love/attracted to the person with whom you're walking.

but that's not the theory of love and attraction here! for one, there are lots of intimacies that are not romantic love:

(although mitsumi might be fooling herself here)

in the symposium, aristophanes recounts to socrates a fable (it's the one recounted in "the origin of love" in hedwig & the angry inch) about how humans used to be four-legged and four-armed creatures, split in half for our hubris, with love an (ultimately impossible) attempt to find our "missing piece". love as an interior drive, rather than an exterior sign (there is more on this in the phaedrus, with socrates describing the "charioteer" of Eros controlling the horses of both baser and loftier desires).

socrates, however, also mentions in the phaedrus that one potential downside of love is that the lover may try to shape their beloved into what they desire, instead of what might be best for them as an individual. mitsumi is starting to define what shima means to her, but her lens was still oriented towards "fixing" (that's why she's in tokyo, after all, because she's driven to unilaterally fix things), but forward progress is only made by a process of mutual understanding and growth. both sides were in the wrong, here, and would not be able to make forward progress by either ignoring the issue, or by "winning" over the other. reconciliation was only possible by realizing that the terms in the underlying conflict were mistaken and needed to be redefined (this is one example of how a synthesis results in the "Aufhebung" of the original thesis/antithesis pair).

also lots this week for the silly face enjoyers

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 9, 2023

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think Mitsumi's VA may have turned in the best performance of the week here.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
someone please get me the "weekends off" shirt makoto wears in episode 5, thank you in advance

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
This episode hurt. I was really hoping that Shima would turn out to be a nice boy, so it was a real betrayal when he turned out to be a playboy, a gangster, a party animal, a martial artist (???) and an all-around bad egg. Also a dog and a big duck, I guess, but those had already been established.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Skip and Loafer won the award for Best General Manga from the Kodansha Manga Awards

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
it's like i always say: electoralism simply doesn't work

also i feel like there's a pun here i'm missing:

Big Horse
Jan 16, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

it's like i always say: electoralism simply doesn't work

also i feel like there's a pun here i'm missing:

I did some googling and "安心安全" or "anshin anzen" literally means safe and secure (the characters underneath just says "Ishikawa Prefecture"). It's a popular label you see on food in Japan to mark that it's been inspected, but in this case, it's probably a pun that Mitsumi is a "safe friend." People who know more Japanese, feel free to correct me.

I can see why the translator opted to not just directly translate it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah there's no pun there, she's just 100% friend like 100% juice.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Julias posted:

Yeah there's no pun there, she's just 100% friend like 100% juice.

yeah that's probably it, i was just wondering if i was missing something from the prominence of the fruit and the text

would that we could all be トモダチ 100% in our own lives

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I assumed it was something like "100% Fresh", as if she was fruit, because she's a country girl and therefore a fruit-human hybrid. Kinda like how you'd never see a friend from Ohio in a romantic light because you can't synthetise Dating Material from corn syrup.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Creator interview https://twitter.com/shinkanes/status/1642569211678531585?s=61&t=rKljCQlRwk6ute21lGIH_A

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 24 days!)

the aunt is really cool, and she got a lot of screentime this week

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Naowns

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

:hai:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Caught up to episode 6 and I am thrilled that Skip n Loaf are getting such a dynamic adaptation. All the characters, faces, animations, VA, and focus on the moments are hitting so hard. They could have easily made this show 80% still images or something but every scene has something really fluidly animated and the faces are great.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The art and design of Aunt Nao is so perfectly done and how sweet the characters are to her is genuinely beautiful.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i love the introspection of the 'mean' girl, Mika.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GateOfD posted:

i love the introspection of the 'mean' girl, Mika.
Word.

Im watching in spanish and its been a delight.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

just wanted to call out the airplane travel sequence at the beginning of this episode for doing a low-key yet fantastic job of capturing what a day of travel is like. this show is great.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the first half of today's ep was almost a panel for panel adaptation of ch. 16, but lingering over the actions of travel and homecoming i think added quite a bit of emotional heft to things (although i could be projecting, as somebody who lives a few thousand miles away from my childhood friends and family, and has spent many hours waiting alone in airports thinking about what home means to me). for instance, mitsumi riding the train to the airport takes only two panels in the manga, but here it's stretched it out to several cuts, including a transfer and growing crowds. i know "liminal" has lost all meaning on the internet these days, but i think all of the extra time/space for her trip works here to make us think about how home and belonging shift as we age in a way that a quicker sequence would not have.

i also enjoy how the trip works both as a standard summer break montage (complete with obligatory anime cicada sounds and playing at the beach where it's required that one person ends up unexpectedly in the water) but each scene also works as a character commentary. mitsumi is both serious and not serious when she arrives at the airport attempting to be a sophisticated tokyo girl, fumi's new relationship is both exciting and terrifying for mitsumi to learn about, her dialect codeswitching both is and isn't about how accepting her tokyo friends are, etc. even her grandmother's red rice has character import!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Rice and beans: the international cuisine of Nans

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I don't know if it's a similar cultures thing or a grandma thing, but the VA for Mitsumi's grandma talks in the same wavery, musical cadence my two grandmas and my grandma-in-law all speak with! I loved it; very nostalgic.

The airport/traveling scene was very good. It really strikes the "small-town girl moving through big-city places to finally catch a plane home" feel. I also, sad to say, was freaked out by the animal she holds when she's trying to freak her friend out at sea. Some sort of weird Pokemon-looking creature!

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Pan Dulce posted:

I don't know if it's a similar cultures thing or a grandma thing, but the VA for Mitsumi's grandma talks in the same wavery, musical cadence my two grandmas and my grandma-in-law all speak with! I loved it; very nostalgic.

The airport/traveling scene was very good. It really strikes the "small-town girl moving through big-city places to finally catch a plane home" feel. I also, sad to say, was freaked out by the animal she holds when she's trying to freak her friend out at sea. Some sort of weird Pokemon-looking creature!

it looks like that pokemon you can find near the wind power place team galactic takes over in diamond/pearl

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Megamissen posted:

it looks like that pokemon you can find near the wind power place team galactic takes over in diamond/pearl

Drifloon

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
per the katakana it's a giant "amefurashi" which is a sea hare of the genus aplysia, the largest species of which can grow up to 33 pounds.

i will leave the collation of additional sea slug facts to others

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Southern Cassowary posted:

just wanted to call out the airplane travel sequence at the beginning of this episode for doing a low-key yet fantastic job of capturing what a day of travel is like. this show is great.

that and the minute or two where mitsumi is chomping on watermelon and it cycles through placid scenes of her hometown were so good. i had to catch up on the last 3 episodes and the newest one really makes use of silence (or at least it tends to abandon the background music and internal dialogue for diegetic noise) in a way that's very different than the rest of the series up until now. i guess it works well as a stylistic choice to differentiate her home from the hustle of city living. even when mitsumi makes it back to tokyo in the second half, it feels like a lot of the scenes involving her special country crackers (especially the scene after her school council meeting) have a similar cadence to some of those slower shots in her hometown.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

i was thinking of shellos

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Big Leg posted:

that and the minute or two where mitsumi is chomping on watermelon and it cycles through placid scenes of her hometown were so good.

:yeah:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the hills are aliiiiiiiive with the family siiiiiiingers

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

is this an actual famous play?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

GateOfD posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sound_of_Music

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

GateOfD posted:

Oh god I'm old oh no oh gently caress

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yawgmoft posted:

No, it is ok, it is the kids that are wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Yawgmoft posted:

my opening to discussing this ep was "oh yeah, we had the soundtrack on vinyl" and "i was actually on lighting crew when our highschool did this" so this is a time of reckoning for me as well.