Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

i'm just familiar with the more popular movie name instead of the actual thing its based on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

GateOfD posted:

i'm just familiar with the more popular movie name instead of the actual thing its based on

oh it's sound of music, the same as the movie name, it was just "wcdonald"-ed ("sudoh-buck"-ed?) for the manga/anime

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We've had some incredible copyright safe names this season.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I don't know if we're going to have time this season, but I hope to find out more about the bitchy female "friend" Shima hangs out with after-school and his friendlier male amigo shown today.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
this show is cute, i enjoy it

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
So which one of them is skip and which one is loafer?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

a pipe smoking dog posted:

yo thats obvious

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

either:
mitsumi is the bouncy personality who is skipping to school while the come-what-may slacker shima is loafing around

or:
it is a reference to the first episode where mitsumi takes off her school shoes (which are loafers) in order to run to make it to class, since the loafers themselves are difficult to run in and also she doesn't wish to scuff or damage them on the first day of school. "skip and loafer" therefore refers to how one might combine the incongruous ideas of joyfully or excitedly skipping ahead in a childlike manner while dealing with the confines of fitting in and professionalism and adulthood that are entailed by the formal shoes.

or:
skip and loafer have yet to appear, but are the names of the two corgis who, as in silent hill 2, are secretly monitoring and/or orchestrating the events of the series for nefarious and unexplained purposes

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

either:
mitsumi is the bouncy personality who is skipping to school while the come-what-may slacker shima is loafing around

or:
it is a reference to the first episode where mitsumi takes off her school shoes (which are loafers) in order to run to make it to class, since the loafers themselves are difficult to run in and also she doesn't wish to scuff or damage them on the first day of school. "skip and loafer" therefore refers to how one might combine the incongruous ideas of joyfully or excitedly skipping ahead in a childlike manner while dealing with the confines of fitting in and professionalism and adulthood that are entailed by the formal shoes.

or:
skip and loafer have yet to appear, but are the names of the two corgis who, as in silent hill 2, are secretly monitoring and/or orchestrating the events of the series for nefarious and unexplained purposes

And yet, Shima skips class and Mitsumi wears loafers.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Loafers is her inevitable twelfth nickname

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
David Attenborough: "Here we see the shoujo protagonist attempting to intimidate the rival by making herself appear as large as possible."

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

so powerful...

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the last two episodes were lovely just like the rest of the show. here's a big picture of mitsumi smiling

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm ready for them to skip loafing around and announce season 2

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Yawgmoft posted:

I'm ready for them to skip loafing around and announce season 2

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I've put off watching this until I could binge the entire first season, even though it's one of my very favorite ongoing manga series. I have the whole evening set aside today, can't wait to chill in my pajamas and drink a couple hard ciders and watch anime for five hours straight.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Mentat Radnor posted:

I've put off watching this until I could binge the entire first season, even though it's one of my very favorite ongoing manga series. I have the whole evening set aside today, can't wait to chill in my pajamas and drink a couple hard ciders and watch anime for five hours straight.

He'll yeah, devi'll dog

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I wasn't ready! I thought it was like plenty of other anime and they'd have a 13-episode season. I was shocked at how they seemed to tie most loose ends up, but leave just enough to have you wanting a season 2, or at least, read the manga.

Reiterating that I HATE the childhood friends, the guy for enabling the cruel acts of the girl, who is just a bitch and a half. I did like that he told her, in the car ride, that her getting bad grades in middle school was all her fault.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I didn’t really get the sense that Chris was really enabling Ririka. No more than Shima himself was at any rate. Neither of them really knew what to do about their long time friend’s Incredible Trauma. Which hey, fair, Shima is also a bag of neuroses he doesn’t know how to handle.

Ririka has ample reason to be mad. She got thrown through the ringer at a young age when basically nobody else involved in the incident did because she had the audacity to be a woman.

Doesn’t really justify making it her life mission to guilt trip Shima but she’s not without legitimate grievances either.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm not a big fan of the trope/Japanese sense of guilt over such things in general, but no, Ririka had absolutely no justification for her awful behavior and deserved a far worse smackdown.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

I didn’t really get the sense that Chris was really enabling Ririka. No more than Shima himself was at any rate. Neither of them really knew what to do about their long time friend’s Incredible Trauma. Which hey, fair, Shima is also a bag of neuroses he doesn’t know how to handle.

Ririka has ample reason to be mad. She got thrown through the ringer at a young age when basically nobody else involved in the incident did because she had the audacity to be a woman.

Doesn’t really justify making it her life mission to guilt trip Shima but she’s not without legitimate grievances either.

Chris kept telling Ririka when Shima was hanging out with him/that Shima was acting in the festival. Plus, he didn't stand up for Shima's mom, even though he knew Ririka was acting out of bounds. Hell, you can say it was the mouse to the cheetah, but so was our protagonist and she still "anteater'd" that situation; that's what true friends do.

Ririka has reason to be mad... for a time. But she's a successful model in her own right and flunked out of higher-level high schools on her own. Plus, she said so herself: he said sorry and even though they were both kids in that situation, he told her what the score was and she went with him anyway. Any leftover rancor she feels is simply the conniption of a brat who wants a guilty slave instead of a friend.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think Chris is as awesome as Mitsumi but I think you are giving him too little credit. Like Chris was able to understand that Shima really did enjoy acting. I don't think keeping that a secret from Ririka would have been a positive thing. Ultimately having Ririka there led to Shima being able to confront Ririka which was good.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
OK so PA Works knocked this adaptation out of the park. Freakin' fantastic, and I have to ponder a bit and rewatch parts before making a big effortpost but in general, hell yeah what a great anime. Eagerly awaiting Season 2.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

From the translated interview with the author linked up-thread, there's this:

quote:

What does the title Skip and Loafer mean?

Takamatsu: It doesn't actually mean anything… If I had to say, it sounded good. (laughs) I didn't want to go with a popular title like "Mitsumi-chan is…" as it will make the main character stand out too much which would go against the manga's theme of not denying the importance of side characters.

I wanted to draw a manga about adolescents who try to make themselves bigger but fail sometimes while keeping it light, so I put that lightness in the word "skip" as in skipping while walking and connected it with "loafer" which is something of an iconic pair of shoes for students and that's how the title "Skip and Loafer" came to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Rather mellow wrap up of the season, but it fits its theme. Rather this way than forced crazy climax like a slasher sneaking into the school or something.

Liked when Ririka started crying. Yea cry more.

Interesting how the main girl was kind of absent for the past 3-4 episodes.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 24, 2023