Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I don't know if it's a similar cultures thing or a grandma thing, but the VA for Mitsumi's grandma talks in the same wavery, musical cadence my two grandmas and my grandma-in-law all speak with! I loved it; very nostalgic.

The airport/traveling scene was very good. It really strikes the "small-town girl moving through big-city places to finally catch a plane home" feel. I also, sad to say, was freaked out by the animal she holds when she's trying to freak her friend out at sea. Some sort of weird Pokemon-looking creature!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I don't know if we're going to have time this season, but I hope to find out more about the bitchy female "friend" Shima hangs out with after-school and his friendlier male amigo shown today.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I wasn't ready! I thought it was like plenty of other anime and they'd have a 13-episode season. I was shocked at how they seemed to tie most loose ends up, but leave just enough to have you wanting a season 2, or at least, read the manga.

Reiterating that I HATE the childhood friends, the guy for enabling the cruel acts of the girl, who is just a bitch and a half. I did like that he told her, in the car ride, that her getting bad grades in middle school was all her fault.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

I didn’t really get the sense that Chris was really enabling Ririka. No more than Shima himself was at any rate. Neither of them really knew what to do about their long time friend’s Incredible Trauma. Which hey, fair, Shima is also a bag of neuroses he doesn’t know how to handle.

Ririka has ample reason to be mad. She got thrown through the ringer at a young age when basically nobody else involved in the incident did because she had the audacity to be a woman.

Doesn’t really justify making it her life mission to guilt trip Shima but she’s not without legitimate grievances either.

Chris kept telling Ririka when Shima was hanging out with him/that Shima was acting in the festival. Plus, he didn't stand up for Shima's mom, even though he knew Ririka was acting out of bounds. Hell, you can say it was the mouse to the cheetah, but so was our protagonist and she still "anteater'd" that situation; that's what true friends do.

Ririka has reason to be mad... for a time. But she's a successful model in her own right and flunked out of higher-level high schools on her own. Plus, she said so herself: he said sorry and even though they were both kids in that situation, he told her what the score was and she went with him anyway. Any leftover rancor she feels is simply the conniption of a brat who wants a guilty slave instead of a friend.