Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

quote:

The Edo period is nearing its end. Gabimaru, a shinobi formerly known as the strongest in Iwagakure who is now a death row convict, is told that he will be acquitted and set free if he can bring back the Elixir of Life from an island that is rumored to be the Buddhist pure land Sukhavati. In hopes of reuniting with his beloved wife, Gabimaru heads to the island along with the executioner Yamada Asaemon Sagiri. Upon arriving there, they encounter other death row convicts in search of the Elixir of Life... as well as a host of unknown creatures, eerie manmade statues, and the hermits who rule the island. Can Gabimaru find the Elixir of Life on this mysterious island and make it back home alive?

Hell's Paradise is an adaptation of the historical action-fantasy manga by Yuuji Kaku. The anime is directed by Kaori Makita at MAPPA. It airs Saturdays and is streaming on Crunchyroll and/or Netflix depending on your region.

The manga is a completed work, and although it's not fully confirmed yet at the time of this post, the anime will likely be a split two-cours adaptation covering the whole story in ~26 episodes.

This is a thread for the anime, please refrain from discussing parts of the story that have not yet happened in the anime.

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Yuzuriha #1

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm more of a Sagiri fan personally.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Episode 2 was a fun game of picking out who in a crowd shot is important because they have blue hair and who isn’t important because they have a topknot.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
I like what Sagiri and Gabimaru have going on together so far with their mirror-ish views on killing.

galagazombie posted:

Episode 2 was a fun game of picking out who in a crowd shot is important because they have blue hair and who isn’t important because they have a topknot.
Also this.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Suzera posted:

I like what Sagiri and Gabimaru have going on together so far with their mirror-ish views on killing.

i really like this hook conceptually but i'm not sure they've executed on it as well as they could have thus far - it kind of feels like they're spinning their wheels a bit rather than pushing the characters forward.

i do think it's doing a good enough job to keep me invested while i get what's really grabbing me, which is the great fights and whatever the gently caress is happening on this weird rear end island. i love the vibes here.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Everyone else murdering each other and Blade Dragon just having a nice stroll with his short friend.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Ninja girl didn't exactly look dead, ain't countin her out yet

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Pootybutt posted:

Ninja girl didn't exactly look dead, ain't countin her out yet

That's what I thought too, but thinking about it she's probably out of it, her design is too plain.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Kwyndig posted:

That's what I thought too, but thinking about it she's probably out of it, her design is too plain.

Unlike everybody else that looked dead, she is in the OP. I think she is safe.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Ep 4: Nooo, Sagiri, please don't suck

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Manga spoilers for ep 5 It's ok she'll finally get to be cool again in ep 5, hopefully. Ep 6 at latest.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I gave this the 3 episode test and im hella in on it, the characters are fun and the action is great. The thing that really sold me though was the OP, i thought "is that shiina ringo?" and sure enough it was. Love me ringo, love me historical samurai\ninja fiction, simple as

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I love that it broke the whole "interesting character design lives" rule with the woman that kissed her guard. I thought, "Oh, she's pretty colorful and has a detailed outfit, she's sure to stay alive!" Nope.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The visual design in this is pretty great and it's really entertaining. When the initial plan was explained, I wondered why anyone would care about returning the elixir to have their sentence lifted if they could just drink it themselves, so I laughed a bit when the character at the end of episode 4 declared his intention to do just that. Maybe there will be a plot twist later on, but as it stands the shogunate seems like an idiot.

Anyway, seems like another demon-slaying hit from Mappa. Not quite as sublime as Chainsaw Man, but still pretty drat fun and stylish.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Pan Dulce posted:

I love that it broke the whole "interesting character design lives" rule with the woman that kissed her guard. I thought, "Oh, she's pretty colorful and has a detailed outfit, she's sure to stay alive!" Nope.

Truly assumed “red haired executioner who talked tough to Sagiri” to last longer than 1.5 episodes

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Truly assumed “red haired executioner who talked tough to Sagiri” to last longer than 1.5 episodes

Relegated to the flashback realm.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Unironically a fan of the flashback zone fleshing out dead characters.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

habituallyred posted:

Unironically a fan of the flashback zone fleshing out dead characters.

As long as it doesn't get so deep in flashback levels like that anime with the paladins stuck in the Mayan temple whose name escapes me at the moment.

Edit: Rokka no Yuusha, that's the name.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 25, 2023

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That was a terrible show because they said gently caress you to the audience by solving the central mystery and then immediately springing the exact same loving thing on you.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
All I remember from Rokka na Yusha is that I was really digging the Aztec/Mayan aesthetics of the setting and then I discovered that it was something completely invented by the anime and the world in LN and manga(?) was just completely non-descript, by-the-numbers medieval setting.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Today's episode sure has a lot of Asaemon deaths.

I do hope that now that all backstories are sorted we get some story progression, i'm getting a bit bored by the coprotagonist lamentations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad we got to the moment that reassures the viewer Sagiri is a badass when her heart's in it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I find it kinda funny that whenever the giant guy kills someone it's an Asaemon who's been really sexist.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Asaemon deaths feel really deserved yeah, each time one dies like right after being a jerk and it's very satisfying but also scary.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
On the other side of Asaemon spectrum we have the blonde himbo who is with the tanned mountain girl. Dude might not be the brightest, but he is straight up heroic.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
More like Hell's Sexism

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Came in expecting an edgy death game scenario with a bunch of edgy psychos doing edgy things for cheap shock value I would drop after three episodes. Five episodes in and everyone still alive except cannibal giant has discovered the power of friendship with someone and gotten a “they’re not really evil” flashback. Well I guess blind guy might be a jerk, he hasn’t reappeared yet.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I like the way they go about setting up fights; with this giant, you had the trouble of not using projectiles, his attacks being too strong and fast to block or counter, and when countered successfully, his motions still caused his joints to connect, making cutting through difficult. There was no leveling up or god-tier powers, just logic applied.

Also, just a theory, but didn't Kaguya eat a peach of immortality in Naruto? Didn't those two women at the end eat a peach?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Peaches of Immortality are absolutely a thing in actual legends. I know Sun Wukong ate a bunch of them (And so the gods boiled him to get the immortality back out and into pills). The Princess Kaguya tale contains some kind of immortality-potion, whether it involves peaches I'm not sure.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jerkface posted:

I gave this the 3 episode test and im hella in on it, the characters are fun and the action is great. The thing that really sold me though was the OP, i thought "is that shiina ringo?" and sure enough it was. Love me ringo, love me historical samurai\ninja fiction, simple as

Ah! Shiina Ringo is my absolute favorite artist and has been since I was 15 in 2000. I'm very lucky that my favorite singer/writer/composer has been active nonstop for most of my life (and is still going strong). I can basically map periods of my life to her music. Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana is my favorite album of all time, though pretty much all of her (and Tokyo Jihen's) music is also my favorite in different ways - Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana is just transcendent as a single whole.

I'll have to check this out just on that basis.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Ytlaya posted:

Ah! Shiina Ringo is my absolute favorite artist and has been since I was 15 in 2000. I'm very lucky that my favorite singer/writer/composer has been active nonstop for most of my life (and is still going strong). I can basically map periods of my life to her music. Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana is my favorite album of all time, though pretty much all of her (and Tokyo Jihen's) music is also my favorite in different ways - Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana is just transcendent as a single whole.

I'll have to check this out just on that basis.

Hello fellow ringo head :coal: I found her through the very very very old JROCK thread that was in ADTRW a million years ago. Her and GO!GO!7188 both of which became my favorite bands of all time. Meisai & Yattsuke Shigoto are deffo on my top 10 favorite ringo songs. The anime is pretty dang good so far and the OP is a nice compliment to Ringo's song! Enjoy!!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
First character from the promo art to kick the bucket.

It seems that every time an asaemon is not a revolting rear end in a top hat they get fridged.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Just caught up and gently caress you show, gently caress you. Makin' me care about someone, then making him fight an unbeatable, unstoppable foe so when he dies, I feel terrible. Not to mention, twist the knife even FURTHER by shows scenes of a potential where he's a sensei and he marries the wild girl. THEN, to top it off, show his corpse and a cherry blossom on it with a scene where he finally lands a blow and accepts more training.

Man. FUUUUUUCK. :asoiaf:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So Crunchyroll's statement was confusing, did they ever clarify if we're getting a new episode this week?

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
I don't understand the main characters internal motivations. From wanting to die, to wanting to live because his wife is still alive? Or how he was set up to begin with? And does his sensei, the evil man, also have the elixir of life? thats how he survived being stabbed in the head? And if hes so anti death, why not go the kenshin/trigun route? It just seems like the main character is too inconsistent from one episode to the next.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kneelbeforezog posted:

I don't understand the main characters internal motivations. From wanting to die, to wanting to live because his wife is still alive? Or how he was set up to begin with? And does his sensei, the evil man, also have the elixir of life? thats how he survived being stabbed in the head? And if hes so anti death, why not go the kenshin/trigun route? It just seems like the main character is too inconsistent from one episode to the next.

Gabimaru was lying he did not want to die. His fellow Ninja let him get captured. We don't know what is up with the village leader other than that Gabimaru believes he got the elixir. Gabimaru does not want to kill people, but is willing if he feels it's his best choice.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kneelbeforezog posted:

Gabimaru wanted to die until he got a chance getting his wife back. His subconscious attempts to survive are explained in this episode.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
This fight this episode was pretty crazy. Going by how it reacted, feels like it is safe to assume the tensen have a "core" of some sort and Gabimaru just happened to land that one blow directly where it was at the time and that'll be the key to defeat them down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The motivations get a little murky in the second major arc. But just remember that Gabimaru Loves His Wife.