Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Is it? I've had it my whole life but tonight I got really high and for whatever reason just decided to make a thread about it. I don't really see the internet outside of SA. At all.

Sounds like Visual Snow Syndrome

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
masturbation

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
If I pay close attention to the shrinking circular waves(reverse fuzzy ripple?) of phosphenes that I see when I'm laying in the dark a small, faint deep red geometric circuit pattern appears for a few seconds in the center where the wave collapses into a singular point. Then the phosphene pattern starts again after it fades after a few seconds. I'd like to say this repeats every 6ish seconds. I should try some deep breathing next time and see what happens

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 12, 2023

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i see George Berkeley and furiously deny his existence

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's just the machine elves sending you a signal from the other side. They will tell you one lie and three truths if only you knew how to listen

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.
OP when you see the static strongly on surfaces with your eyes open it is called visual snow and has only really begun to be researched within the last decade or so: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_snow_syndrome

It appears to have something to do with hyperactive neurons, causing you to notice visual phenomena that are normally filtered out.

I have also seen it as long as I can remember, so it doesn't really bother me. For some people it comes on later in life, which can trigger anxiety due to its distracting nature.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Eigengrau Real Hahahaha N**** Just Never Close Your Eyes Haha

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

the faces of god and one of his faces is an rear end

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Mine looks a lot like this, when I try to sleep, when the sun is coming up. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NQD-N6gkCzQ
Very distracting.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I haven't had visual snow until I got laser eye surgery :shrug:

Maybe someone shined a laser in your eye

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Static op
I see static.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

I’ll never stop loving this show.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

I see all kind of poo poo. I have really bad insomnia because I have racing thoughts from bipolar disorder, and it’s almost to nuts to describe. You know how people with ADHD will describe their mind kind of like a TV where the channel is changing constantly? Mine is like, hundreds, thousands even, of TVs all on at the same time, with volume cranked all the way up, and all on different channels. 24/7. And it loving sucks.

Basically this, and I hate it.

I have to take a lot of meds and sometimes I just slam a whole fist full of gabapentin and when I do that I get all loopy and when I close my eyes it’s like a lightning storm happening behind my eyelids, which actually very cool.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

a perfectly rendered image of an apple

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
It kind of sounds like you want to be special because of what you see when you close your eyes, op

you don't need our validation to make that true

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL02_RvqJ8E

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Like the light sources I was seeing before closing my eyes but on a black backdrop in shades of yellow gold and white gold playing around creating shapes.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

GundamHealer posted:

I see all kind of poo poo. I have really bad insomnia because I have racing thoughts from bipolar disorder, and it’s almost to nuts to describe. You know how people with ADHD will describe their mind kind of like a TV where the channel is changing constantly? Mine is like, hundreds, thousands even, of TVs all on at the same time, with volume cranked all the way up, and all on different channels. 24/7. And it loving sucks.

Basically this, and I hate it.

I have to take a lot of meds and sometimes I just slam a whole fist full of gabapentin and when I do that I get all loopy and when I close my eyes it’s like a lightning storm happening behind my eyelids, which actually very cool.
You knew what's even better? Having bipolar AND adhd

Wait no that's not better at all

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have a torn retina so when I close my eyes unless I'm in a perfectly dark room I get a flashing strobelight effect in my right eye that makes me nauseous and gives me seizures if I sleep in a bright room

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I miss seeing black when I close my eyes.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Colonel Cancer posted:

Smoke less weed op

No.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Here's your issue, OP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_snow_syndrome

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Pregnant Rey from Star Trek wars. (Picard is dad, riker is stepdad)

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
I don’t close my eyes

ever

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Bunch of skeletons roger smith style

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Apparently this is a known side effect of having used hallucinogens. I have it but have no recollection of using hallucinogens, but of course I wouldn't remember taking them, so

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Something like this?

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I always felt like I could see micro organisms floating stound

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

erosion posted:

Something like this?

I get that, also with my eyes open. Like a semi-transparent overlay on the world. It's some wonderful neurological bullshit.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I was super into phosphenes as a little kid. Just sittin in the corner all day with my fists pressed into my eyes :allears:

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Slowly shifting color patterns. Reminiscent of my Migraine auras, but smooth, without the jagged edges.

The Moon Monster posted:

I was super into phosphenes as a little kid. Just sittin in the corner all day with my fists pressed into my eyes :allears:

Same here.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Steamboat Willy scenes with the sharpness cranked

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

erosion posted:

Something like this?

Apparently this is a known side effect of having used hallucinogens. I have it but have no recollection of using hallucinogens, but of course I wouldn't remember taking them, so

I totally forgot about the thread. Yes, it's mostly that but there are other hallucinations. Nothing is ever "still" and with eyes closed they can get really psychedelic. I can just close my eyes concentrate on a spot and I'll get really vivid fractal patterns and tunnels form. The exact kind of poo poo you see on acid etc, except without feeling high and being less "clear".

Ever since I found out what it's called and that it's not normal it's been kind of blowing my mind noticing that I am full on hallucinating all the time.

I also remember that I have not had it my whole life. I did acid for the first time when I was like 13. Afterwards I remember telling some of the kids I was with that I'm still seeing poo poo and they didn't believe me.

Genesplicer posted:

Slowly shifting color patterns. Reminiscent of my Migraine auras, but smooth, without the jagged edges.

Apparently they're related and visual snow syndrome is very often comorbid with migraines. I see mild auras too, and I get headaches fairly but I've never had a migraine.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hardawn posted:

I always felt like I could see micro organisms floating stound

Thos are called floaters and it's little bits of the internal eyeball jelly that your retina floats in

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

As you get older the jelly in your eyeball dries up and becomes thicker and more congealed and it can lead to more floaters or to tearing your retina like I did

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
If you mean the literal vision behind a closed eyelid, then yes, fractals and fuzz and any light after images. Otherwise I have a very good minds eye and imagination, so my daydreams and reading visuals are pretty cool.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i have very sensitive blue balls

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

When I close mine I see a very clear static fuzz. Sort of like you'd see on a TV screen. I also see that when they're open on any blank surface. I often/always (?) see some kind of fractal patterns emerge when my eyes are closed or I'm in total darkness.

Is that normal?

:same: and yes it's normal. At least it said so in some sciency article I read years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
A black outline of the frame of my glasses on a dark grey background even when I haven't worn my glasses for hours. Sometimes I will see a ghost image of my glasses when I'm not wearing them and have my eyes open, brains be weird like that.