Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Danny kept the one that Isaac's boys stole and had it in his parents' house, so I think he was genuine in his reaction. I think Danny and George had a semi-real relationship, like the one Amy and Paul had. It started as a way to get info and mess with the other, but they found real connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Amy knew it was something she could use to manipulate George onto her side and to force a more visceral reaction.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Italians are okay though. Peninsula mentality

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Danny kept the one that Isaac's boys stole and had it in his parents' house, so I think he was genuine in his reaction. I think Danny and George had a semi-real relationship, like the one Amy and Paul had. It started as a way to get info and mess with the other, but they found real connection.

I love this subtlety in the show -- that while pretending to be George's friend, Danny actually develops a pretty solid relationship with him ... and then gets shot near-dead by him. This show is full of ironies like that.

I also love the recurring theme of people lying their asses off to therapists and loved ones, but it's clear that they're only partly being venal about it -- they also desperately want their lies to be the truth, and that by omitting things they can't face, they can somehow make them not exist. (And of course, if you think about it, all of us here in the real world are constantly doing this all the time.)

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

MrMojok posted:

Was Danny serious about that, or was he just continuing to try and butter up George?

He literally calls off the robbery shortly after seeing George's art. He actually was becoming friends with him, and was being serious about the art. Everyone else describes George's art in this really lofty mechanical manner about how it fits into this evolution of pottery or vases, but Danny walks in and talks about how the vases make him feel. It's the first time anyone is shown feeling anything when looking at George's art, which means that Danny actually was moved by them.

EDIT: Danny also describes the vases making him feel really sad and down, which I think was always the emotion George was putting into them, but everyone was just pretending that the vases were as happy as George was pretending to be. It was just another layer of people being miserable but not having enough trust to talk about their misery. George was miserable because he was living in the shadow a famous dad he didn't feel comparable to, and was stuck all day being a single parent while his wife was emotionally and physically distant, making vases that nobody could read the real meaning of. It's why he became such close friends with Danny.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 17, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

He literally calls off the robbery shortly after seeing George's art. He actually was becoming friends with him, and was being serious about the art. Everyone else describes George's art in this really lofty mechanical manner about how it fits into this evolution of pottery or vases, but Danny walks in and talks about how the vases make him feel. It's the first time anyone is shown feeling anything when looking at George's art, which means that Danny actually was moved by them.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

OK, you’re right. I’m not being snide here, I just wasn’t sure and I didn’t get this.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I have tons of thoughts on this, I'm gonna spoiler them just in case.

I found myself identifying with different parts of Danny, Amy, and George as I watched the show. I spent a big part of my life scraping by like Danny, but realistically, I'm at a place much closer to Amy. I also took a year off in the middle there to raise our first son while my wife started her own very lucrative but time consuming career.

This is a great depiction of depression/rage and sadness, and the differences between them. While George is profoundly sad, he will never really understand what Amy is going through with her depression, even though he genuinely loves her and wants to help. Amy knows this, and wants to reveal herself to her partner, but knows deep down that George will never really get it and will reject her once he sees what's festering within her. This is so brutal, and so real.

Amy's description of the weight always pressing on her upper chest was amazing, right down to where she pointed to it as being. I always thought of it less as a weight and more like an impossibly tight knot, but right there in the same place.

The scariest takeaway for me is that I fully understand how loving awesome it would feel in the moment to unload all of this on a stranger in a parking lot. I want to be in that car chase. Im sick of always having to be the bigger person. But I don't do it because I know it would destroy my family.

I wonder if anyone has kept a tally of all the f-bombs used in the show. It felt like a ton, like there had to be at least ten in the twenty second scene where Isaac and Danny see Paul from the buffet line.

Also, Amy starting with the fake name "Grace Kim" was a great small joke. I know like 15 Grace Kims.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Italians are okay though. Peninsula mentality

Amazing username/post combo.

My wife and I are at episode 5 and love it so far. There is so much going on this show and ways to analyze it that I can't wait to finish.

But my god, Danny, like take the opportunities in front of you man.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

Welp this sucks

https://twitter.com/aurabogado/status/1646505812586823680?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Earlier in the podcast he talked about how he forced himself sexually on his masseuse in graphic detail

Now he’s claiming he made it up

https://twitter.com/aurabogado/status/1647745374378168320

Not a good look, Choe!

Anyway for the more on-topic and positive side gently caress this show is engrossing.

But uh yeah, tough to enjoy with this elephant in the room :/.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ali Wong privated her twitter lol

Ideally the controversy gets David Choe kicked out of season 2 so we can enjoy it without his involvement. Why should I give up a tv show when I can chase out the problem instead!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Has anyone actually come forward about this or could this conceivably be a case of someone just talking poo poo?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's supposedly a miniseries so there wouldn't be a season 2 in the first place. But if it does get renewed he's the easiest write-out ever.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Ali Wong privated her twitter lol

Ideally the controversy gets David Choe kicked out of season 2 so we can enjoy it without his involvement. Why should I give up a tv show when I can chase out the problem instead!

Is this getting a season 2? I could see the ending being decent as it is.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think the creator said he envisioned this as a three season thing, though it’s not clear if he meant this as one long story. An anthology makes a ton more sense to me.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It might have been a really bad idea of a joke, which is inexcusable, but also I can’t think of a show that needs a second season less than this one does.

It didn’t even need the last episode, them both going off the cliff would have been the perfect ending.

Having said that, I do like episode 10 and how they ended it. It doesn’t need any more, though.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
That Choe controversy is relatively old if I remember correctly. The dude is a real edge-lord art guy and I'm pretty sure the podcast was them playing characters. He WAS arrested in Japan for being a belligerent drunk, and if I remember correctly, he embellished the story on the podcast which then other people ran with. I'm not entirely sure what the actual truth is, but the controversy must have already been well known when he was cast, because it was literally one of the only things I knew about the dude before he was cast in this show.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
If you want to go way back, this is the first I'd heard of David Choe, when he almost drew an X-Men comic and got very mad that he and his friends' pitch was not accepted and mass e-mailed
"an open letter to Joe Quesada" to hundreds of people.

I had heard his name mentioned re: Beef before I watched it, but was surprised to discover it was that David Choe who was... basically playing himself, I guess?

But yeah, his edgelord podcast was like a decade ago, and his edgelord X-Men pitch/meltdown was over twenty years ago.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He's spent a lot of time in mental health institutions since.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Open Source Idiom posted:

Has anyone actually come forward about this or could this conceivably be a case of someone just talking poo poo?

It originally came out in 2014 and to my knowledge no victim has ever come forward. He has also since stated that he was bullshitting.

He's also an amazingly wealthy person, so who knows what actually happened and whether there were any payoffs or NDAs involved or anything like that.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Grip it and rip it posted:

It originally came out in 2014 and to my knowledge no victim has ever come forward. He has also since stated that he was bullshitting.

He's also an amazingly wealthy person, so who knows what actually happened and whether there were any payoffs or NDAs involved or anything like that.

In case anyone wonders why he is wealthy, it's actually pretty funny. Sean Parker and Mark Zuckerberg both thought it would be funny to have him paint murals in the Facebook offices, and then paid him in Facebook stock...back in 2005. He apparently painted sexually explicit poo poo, and thought the whole thing was a joke and that he was being paid in funny money. When the company went public he became a multi-hundred millionaire.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Extremely good show and TLOU season 2 is 100% going to end up being compared to this

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
I feel like he recounts a story similar in nature to trump's, "when you are a celebrity, they let you do that sort of thing." If I'm remembering right DVDASA quickly shuttered after this episode and was kinda scrubbed from the internet.

David Choe was arrested in Japan after punching an undercover store security guard and was in jail for 2 months.

The dude is just hosed up, this isn't an excuse for past or present behavior but showing the capacity for change is important.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He’s a confessed rapist who is using copyright law to take down tweets that draw attention to his confession. There are plenty of reasons why a masseur doesn’t come out to MeToo this fucker. The existence of his other misdeeds makes his confession more, not less, believable.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Hardawn posted:

I feel like he recounts a story similar in nature to trump's, "when you are a celebrity, they let you do that sort of thing." If I'm remembering right DVDASA quickly shuttered after this episode and was kinda scrubbed from the internet.

It looks like the actual audio files have been removed but Blubrry has a complete archive of the podcast listings. A lot of this scrubbing appears to have been done more recently, since there are articles and posts linking to still-live archives up to a year or two ago

Anyway the dates on the Blubrry feed are all screwed up (it has the first few episodes taking place in August-October 2014, then over 100 episodes dated November 26-28 2014, then another few dozen shows between December 2014 and February 2015) but the controversial story was in Episode 106 ("Erection Quest"). The following episode ("Rapish Behavior") has the title description "Asa apologizes for calling David a rapist, he does not accept." and then there are 60 or so episodes posted after that one, so it wasn't a particularly quick shuttering or scrubbing. His big apology was in 2017 after a mural he was doing in NYC was defaced and the site of protests against him.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Thank you for clarifying, I was just trying to go off memory lol.

The dates on blubrry aren't right, 100 episodes weren't released in 3 days but whatever it doesn't matter. You already started this inconsistency nm

Hardawn fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 18, 2023

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Episode 9: How is the timeline for Isaac's release supposed to be? Danny screws him over pre-timeskip and apparently some time post-timeskip Amy then bails him out with the testimony that it was indeed Danny doing the road rage and lets Isaac start his revenge? In fact, was it necessarily Amy (could it be Naomi?) that let him out? And I'm not sure if it's also post-timeskip either (since Isaac mentions 'the Filipinos killing him') so what's the rough time between his release and his revenge on Danny?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Has any actual victim come forward?

This is probably the wrong thread to talk about this. Lets stick to the show.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

Pachylad posted:

Episode 9: How is the timeline for Isaac's release supposed to be? Danny screws him over pre-timeskip and apparently some time post-timeskip Amy then bails him out with the testimony that it was indeed Danny doing the road rage and lets Isaac start his revenge? In fact, was it necessarily Amy (could it be Naomi?) that let him out? And I'm not sure if it's also post-timeskip either (since Isaac mentions 'the Filipinos killing him') so what's the rough time between his release and his revenge on Danny?

in my mind it was basically instantaneous. he was joking on the inside about planning it out or just running up on his cousin, he gets out then soon after he's confronting danny

I don't think the Filipino thing was ever followed up on.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Also skimming through some posts on Reddit and I personally feel like people are really harsh on George? Yeah he's a priveleged himbo dip who claims, and maybe even intends, to want to understand Amy and is woefully shallow at being able to do that, but imo folks are downplaying Amy's flaws.

At the very least I think it was justified that he ask for a divorce and later sole custody for Junie, as much as Amy genuinely loved her

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Pachylad posted:

Also skimming through some posts on Reddit and I personally feel like people are really harsh on George? Yeah he's a priveleged himbo dip who claims, and maybe even intends, to want to understand Amy and is woefully shallow at being able to do that, but imo folks are downplaying Amy's flaws.

At the very least I think it was justified that he ask for a divorce and later sole custody for Junie, as much as Amy genuinely loved her

And even after all that he came back to find Amy and shot Danny thinking Amy was in danger. That’s a good husband!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Finished the series. That was amazing.

Just a few thoughts I guess:

-A rare show where I can say that both characters both are sympathetic and bastards at the same time and its hard to so say who screwed who. Either one could of let go, stopped escalating, but both had moments of them being humans.
-I do kinda wish that Danny told Isaac the reason his family is in his situation because he hosed his parents over.
-Danny my dude just accept the offers you were getting!

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Random thoughts wrt GEORGE:

George seems to be an amazingly present father with Junie and seeks to engage and encourage.

This attachment to his mother is troublesome, but I'm trying to remember the influence she had over the decisions of childrearing.

I almost think George would represent a different approach to parenting still butting up to culture expectations and variances. Also, as a stay at home dad, I think he willingly wants to lose himself in raising his daughter thus alleviating himself from the burden of accomplishment since he would only want his dad to tell him he's doing good(idk he's dead)

He's sad because he is being coddled and isn't willing to strike out on his own.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Vegetable posted:

I don’t think many Asian-Americans today really look at Japanese people that way anymore. To me it was more of a general swipe: you married this person from outside your culture? The spouse might as well have been hispanic or white or Cambodian or whatever.

Yeah, and he doubles down on this reading later in the show, when he talks to Paul about the difference between White girls and Korean girls.

As an Asian-American child of a Chinese parent and a Korean parent who is also the same age as both Danny and Amy, his reaction of "Oh, he's Japanese" was absolutely 100% a cultural diss borne of cross-generational trauma, although I also think Danny's reaction is almost more of surprise than malice in that moment.

I just finished the show last night and wow did it resonate with me. The depictions of Asian-American family conflict, Christian culture, and inter-conflict were just incredibly authentic and got to me hard.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Hardawn posted:

Random thoughts wrt GEORGE:

George seems to be an amazingly present father with Junie and seeks to engage and encourage.

This attachment to his mother is troublesome, but I'm trying to remember the influence she had over the decisions of childrearing.

I almost think George would represent a different approach to parenting still butting up to culture expectations and variances. Also, as a stay at home dad, I think he willingly wants to lose himself in raising his daughter thus alleviating himself from the burden of accomplishment since he would only want his dad to tell him he's doing good(idk he's dead)

He's sad because he is being coddled and isn't willing to strike out on his own.

Fumi to George to Junie is also interesting. The feeling I get is that George wasn't given a choice in what he wanted to be, his parents were brilliant artists and his parents gave him no choice. Junie is allowed to be artistic but I don't think George would force that on Junie.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Yeah, and he doubles down on this reading later in the show, when he talks to Paul about the difference between White girls and Korean girls.

Baggot posted:

As an Asian-American child of a Chinese parent and a Korean parent who is also the same age as both Danny and Amy, his reaction of "Oh, he's Japanese" was absolutely 100% a cultural diss borne of cross-generational trauma, although I also think Danny's reaction is almost more of surprise than malice in that moment.

Danny strikes me as an interesting case of this: upholding his parents' bias while putting his own spin on it, and more general Asian-American misogyny (a lot of his talk especially earlier when he initially thought Amy married a white dude and being a housewife reminded me eerily of r/aznidentity talking points), especially in contrast to Paul where for all his faults seems to be the one to have at least broken the 'family curse' of needing to live up to strict tradition (he isn't so hung up about 'supporting Korean', doesn't have Danny's neuroses about other races)

That said, I think the catfishing(? is that accurate?) turning into a genuine friendship with George is an interesting development, both a mirror to Amy's own twisted timeline with Paul and how the odd-couple dynamic of a conservative working-class Korean-American bonding with a liberal privileged Japanese-American.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Can I also just say that the bit in Episode 10 with the crows was a bit of semi-whimsical, semi-theme-underscoring genius.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I haven’t heard of this before but somebody online said crows are a symbol of change

Rewatching from the beginning, they set up crows’ relationship to Danny several times lol

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Hardawn posted:

I don’t think George is a bad person, he is a well-meaning husband and father, but I do think he veers into a kind of toxic positivity that I encounter *a lot* in Los Angeles. He’s insufferable in his self-conscious wellness, in a way that comes off as totally dismissive of the human fallibility both Amy and Danny struggle with.

His relative privilege contributes immensely to this, I think. Although he isn’t white, his experience has been so insulated by the comfort of his father’s success, he doesn’t understand the struggle Amy or Danny had/have to go through. And he doesn’t value it.

This show is super interesting because of these shades of difference in an Asian American experience. The sort of conditional near-whiteness Asian people experience as a model minority, and how make-or-break access to wealth is in that distinction.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, and he's also a bit of a manbaby who leans on his wife for certain kinds of support.

His big victory in the first half of the season is that interaction with the two dudes who try to scam him, but they're morons that he takes way too long to clock. And then he's so proud of himself for "fixing" a leak that didn't actually exist.

He's a useless failson who coasts off his privilege and never challenges himself. And his sculptures all look like turds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Yeah, and he's also a bit of a manbaby who leans on his wife for certain kinds of support.

His big victory in the first half of the season is that interaction with the two dudes who try to scam him, but they're morons that he takes way too long to clock. And then he's so proud of himself for "fixing" a leak that didn't actually exist.

He's a useless failson who coasts off his privilege and never challenges himself. And his sculptures all look like turds.

He's a fulltime parent and homemaker. I don't know why his character inspires this kind of reaction in you but he's a completely affable guy imo.