Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
George can be as positive as he is because he grew up rich, and he seems unconscious of how privileged he is

But even that seems preferable to the brinksmanship rage of Amy and Danny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Episode 9 question

Did Naomi accidentally kill Jordan or did she slam the door on her on purpose after finding out Jordan was trying to get with Amy

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Episode 9 question

Did Naomi accidentally kill Jordan or did she slam the door on her on purpose after finding out Jordan was trying to get with Amy

Consciously no, unconsciously possibly

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

I have a looooot to talk about George - the good, the bad, the toxically positive and which parts I want to defend our himbo dip that's kind of the other side of the himbo coin from Paul, but for now I'll just say I'm surprised I don't think I've seen anyone point out that he and Amy are giving out Mr. PB and Diane vibes.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Steve Yun posted:

Episode 9 question

She slammed the door on purpose, but the end result was likely accidental.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Grip it and rip it posted:

He's a fulltime parent and homemaker. I don't know why his character inspires this kind of reaction in you but he's a completely affable guy imo.

I mean, sure I agreed with that in the first part of my post. The other stuff I said is also true though.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
George's affability is the exact reason he's seen as angelic and Amy actively tries to keep him pure because of her own feelings of inadequacy. She stated multiple times that her only wish is for George to rub off on Junie and none of her attributes.

George's main struggle is no one speaks to him at face value and Danny was able to capitalize on this for his beef, but it was actually the realist connection George had had since Mia.

The viewer gets to see Danny and Amy growing up, but we don't get that context from George besides discussions of looming in the shadow of his father.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I really liked this show up until learning about the rape controversy. I'd seen the first five episodes prior to the news and was captivated but can't get through the sixth. My brain can't get past the fact that I'm watching someone who jokes about raping women.

Is there other media that the thread would recommend that hits similar notes, minus the rape?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

KPC_Mammon posted:

I really liked this show up until learning about the rape controversy. I'd seen the first five episodes prior to the news and was captivated but can't get through the sixth. My brain can't get past the fact that I'm watching someone who jokes about raping women.

Is there other media that the thread would recommend that hits similar notes, minus the rape?

The Last of Us Part 2

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Hardawn posted:

George's main struggle is no one speaks to him at face value and Danny was able to capitalize on this for his beef, but it was actually the realist connection George had had since Mia.

We also have Danny finding the sort of connection he couldn't have as a 'responsible older brother' with George. He razzes against 'Western therapy not working on Eastern minds', but he obviously gets something out of his conversations with the lovable pampered liberal.

On the flipside, you have Amy having sort of a weird older sister/lover(/mother??) vibe with Paul where she finds some semblance of connection after the initial 'catfishing'. Amy wanted the assertiveness and irresponsibility she couldn't get with George and Paul got the affection and relative freedom with Amy he was starved from under Danny.

I really love how our two himbos opened up to and opened up the other party of the beef, but only so far because the only people who can understand Danny and Amy aren't Danny/George and Amy/Paul but Danny/Amy all along.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I loved this a lot more than Everything Everywhere All at Once, I think EEAAO touches on similar dealings with Asian-American identity and nihilism, though it is a lot more idealistic than the pitch black humour in Beef (imo a detriment, I love that Beef was willing to wallow in the dirt and misery, and I didn't find the overarching philosophy as irritatingly pat). The folks in EEAAO also seem a lot more likeable and a lot less problematic than the Beef folks, so if you want some guilt-free viewing that's a nice pick-me-up. For all my problems with the film, I was genuinely happy for the sweep at the Oscars because you can feel no cynicism with those guys.

It's darkly humorous that David Choe's edgelord joke is what's sinking its reputation in the Discourse now, it's almost like something playing out from the show - where this heinous action just sparks off a chain of dominoes that's likely to lead to their comeuppance.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just watch the show.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Been looking through some posts on whether Danny or Amy is 'worse' (or the cowards' centrists' take that 'they're both just as bad/justified'/'it doesn't matter'), one such comment:

quote:

i think a lot of the issues people are having when comparing “who was worse” stems from not acknowledging the context of the actions these characters take. someone mentioned it above, but many of danny’s actions are done out of desperation, which makes it easier to empathize with and understand. it obviously doesn’t make it right, and he’s a hosed up person (that’s the whole point of the show) but it goes to show the lengths someone will go to justify their actions when they’re in their lowest spot. and i would like to preface by saying that i personally empathize more with danny having been a poor person who’s been at the end of their rope, and i can see toxic traits in him that are familiar had i not put in effort to get help.

on the contrast, we have amy, who didn’t commit a ton of crimes, but instead did a bunch of “small” things to a person way less powerful than her and at their tipping point, in a way so calculated as to completely destroy his entire world. let’s put it this way. if amy showed up to danny’s apartment as, let’s say a home decor consult, and pissed on his floor, danny would not be able to retaliate in the same way that amy had with the same effect. if he tried to review bomb her business, he’d get flagged as a troll and it would have zero impact. but when amy did it, it effectively ended his already struggling company. amy didn’t do that because she was being honest, she did it because it was the way she could cause the most damage to him with the lowest risk to herself. she knew she could use her power to pull off something like that.

you can see this kinda thing in all of the stuff she does, she catfished the brother on accident at first. it seems like her original intention was to blackmail danny in some way, but she didn’t get very far because paul immediately responded. once she realized it was an innocent party, she could have took the L immediately, but kept on with it because she not only wanted to get back at her husband she was suspicious of, but to drive a wedge between danny and his only lifeline. the truck, that’s all danny had. if danny did the same to amy, she’d have bought a new car. and so on, you should see my point.

tl;dr, the point being, it’s not about the 1:1 objective comparison between their actions, it’s about the context of their actions. it’s about using privilege as a weapon.

Interested to see people's thoughts on this. On one hand, I wanna be a good leftist and provide class sympathy for Danny, Working Class Hero but then Episode 8 comes along when Amy finally confronts her mistakes and is willing to accept the consequences while he digs in deeper, to say nothing of him screwing over Paul all this time. Or is it fair to still judge him given that Amy had more access to resources all this time?

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
The pressure exerted onto Danny and Amy are coming from different directions. Danny is cracking from external pressure and Amy is exploding from internal pressure.

All it took was a pin prick to set off Amy's internal pressure and I think she was using it as a release value. Whereas Danny is suffering from external pressures and like it was said makes his actions seem more excusable.

wrt George talk again, he's still a typical guy and was blind to when Amy was trying to be honest in the first episode after the road rage incident. He cuts her off and offers the solution of the dream board or whatever he says

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Hardawn posted:

offers the solution of the dream board or whatever he says

It was a “gratitude journal”, lol — the most privileged-Californian “solution” possible when confronted with a psychological crisis.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Also, Danny thinks he is a hard worker but is constantly taking short cuts. The church offers to pay him for his work, he tries to pull some loan scam. Instead of finding a guy to help with the trees and build his network, he does something he isn't qualified to do. He constantly ignores his brothers good ideas. Hell even the 20 grand Isaac gives him as a "loan because he didn't ask Isaac the nature of the money.

So yah, sure capitalism but also Danny constantly tries to take short cuts when he has better things in front of him.

edit: also he burns his house down cause I assume he was lazy about wiring.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 21, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Danny throwing away his brothers college applications is far more evil than basically anything else in the show.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hardawn posted:

The pressure exerted onto Danny and Amy are coming from different directions. Danny is cracking from external pressure and Amy is exploding from internal pressure.

All it took was a pin prick to set off Amy's internal pressure and I think she was using it as a release value. Whereas Danny is suffering from external pressures and like it was said makes his actions seem more excusable.

wrt George talk again, he's still a typical guy and was blind to when Amy was trying to be honest in the first episode after the road rage incident. He cuts her off and offers the solution of the dream board or whatever he says

Another thing George did was when they did the intimacy exercise Amy said she was sad, and instead of asking why she was sad, George told her other people have been sadder and got over it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, Danny thinks he is a hard worker but is constantly taking short cuts. The church offers to pay him for his work, he tries to pull some loan scam. Instead of finding a guy to help with the trees and build his network, he does something he isn't qualified to do. He constantly ignores his brothers good ideas. Hell even the 20 grand Isaac gives him as a "loan because he didn't ask Isaac the nature of the money.

So yah, sure capitalism but also Danny constantly tries to take short cuts when he has better things in front of him.

edit: also he burns his house down cause I assume he was lazy about wiring.

Uh what? None of this is true.

Danny's a hard worker who's constantly fixing things, often for free, e.g. the wonky church sign, and is basically raising his younger brother. Paul, on the other hand, is lazy and naive, and doesn't really understand the world or the value of work. Most of his ideas are poo poo, too.

Danny hustles, sure, but a lot of this is out of money desperation e.g. the tree trimming job. (I'm not sure how your solution would result in Danny getting paid at all, let alone paid enough). The church scam comes after he volunteers to fix the place for free, at first his motivation is about proving his has a bigger dick than his ex-gf's new husband.

And his house burns down because Amy burnt it down. this is wrong

Dude's not lazy, he's genuinely a hard worker with a lot of problems and not a lot of options.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 22, 2023

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Wow I guess I need to watch the series again.

And the house burnt down because he used the wrong wiring. It even cut to the wiring he used being wrong.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ShowTime posted:

Wow I guess I need to watch the series again.

And the house burnt down because he used the wrong wiring. It even cut to the wiring he used being wrong.

Oh poo poo, no, I looked it up. You're right. My bad.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Danny: I burnt the house down. It was my fault

Viewer: clearly this is Amy’s fault

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
This show was really good, the ONLY thing I disliked about it was Isaac getting out the final shoot out with the police alive. No way that happens.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

Danny: I burnt the house down. It was my fault

Viewer: clearly this is Amy’s fault

I saw her eating those chicken sammys goddamnit

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yeah David Choe popping up almost ruined the show for me, I remember listening to his Podcast with Asa Akira like ten years back and it obviously hasn't aged well. And recently he was on Rogan being a weirdo. But to be honest the show was good enough that I just channeled my dislike into the character Isaac and that worked out pretty well.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1649496117175017472

Speaking of which

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Danny hustles, sure, but a lot of this is out of money desperation e.g. the tree trimming job. (I'm not sure how your solution would result in Danny getting paid at all, let alone paid enough). The church scam comes after he volunteers to fix the place for free, at first his motivation is about proving his has a bigger dick than his ex-gf's new husband.

They had other things to repair and the church offered to pay him first and he went with the scam instead.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
IIRC he did fix the church. The scam was overcharging? and also stealing materials instead of buying them to pocket more of the money.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
We never learn the details but Danny does originally say he wouldn't charge them, but I assume he meant labor costs. But the scam is that he gets the church to agree to the repairs and to pay for the materials, Danny and Issac steal materials from a work site, they do the repairs using said stolen materials, and they make fake invoices for materials they didn't buy, pocketing the money.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The church also applied for a loan, too. Danny was trying to get one, and the loan agent shot him down.

Then he asked if his church, which wanted to do some renovations, could apply for a loan and the guy said they could look into it.

So the scam was the church got the loan, gave Danny the money for renovations, which they pocketed and stole materials for the construction from somewhere else.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

A comedian makes a very bad joke 10 years ago. Therefore I am never watching anything associated with him ever again.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

MrMojok posted:

The church also applied for a loan, too. Danny was trying to get one, and the loan agent shot him down.

Then he asked if his church, which wanted to do some renovations, could apply for a loan and the guy said they could look into it.

So the scam was the church got the loan, gave Danny the money for renovations, which they pocketed and stole materials for the construction from somewhere else.

Itd suggested that Danny used the loan money to make the down payment on his parents house to secure the mortgage.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fozzy The Bear posted:

A comedian makes a very bad joke 10 years ago. Therefore I am never watching anything associated with him ever again.
Either he made a very bad joke or he literally confessed to sexual assault. People are understandably cautious. You don’t have to be a jackass about it.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Well I for one wouldn't trust someone who has sent DMCA takedowns over people sharing clips of his edgy jokes but maybe you think this is behaviour of someone 'putting in the work'?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
DMCA takedowns are a lot of work!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uh what? None of this is true.

Danny's a hard worker who's constantly fixing things, often for free, e.g. the wonky church sign, and is basically raising his younger brother. Paul, on the other hand, is lazy and naive, and doesn't really understand the world or the value of work. Most of his ideas are poo poo, too.

Dude's not lazy, he's genuinely a hard worker with a lot of problems and not a lot of options.

It's tricky. I think the show does a good job of having layered characters. Danny can be hard worker but he's also desperate for big money and tired of trying to grind away. It's a very human thing and we've seen a lot of lately. That feeling that you're running out of time and going to be grinding forever, so hey, let it all ride on Crypto/Gamestop/One Big Play.

They're fuzzy on the exact way that he played out, but Danny's the one who let Issac set up shop in the motel and as much as he said it was to help family I'm sure he wanted a cut of it too especially if the motel was struggling.

And same thing with the house. Danny could have taken it slower, paid specialists and done it right. But he was in a rush to move his parents in and prove himself and he hosed it all up.

I think the point earlier about Danny's problems being easier to sympathize with are true, which makes it hurt more when he just falls apart once he has some success. Like Socialsecurity said, throwing away Paul's college applications because he was afraid of losing him is awful. And he kicks off the next cycle of escalation basically because he can't deal with the fact that getting money didn't fix him.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

We never learn the details but Danny does originally say he wouldn't charge them, but I assume he meant labor costs. But the scam is that he gets the church to agree to the repairs and to pay for the materials, Danny and Issac steal materials from a work site, they do the repairs using said stolen materials, and they make fake invoices for materials they didn't buy, pocketing the money.

Yeah, and I think it's implied that they keep doing it to some degree with their business, since Paul mentions their books still being off months later. And as the pastor notes, he's doing way too well for it to be all honest money. Although I guess they never confirm how much he stole from Issac.

Pachylad posted:

Well I for one wouldn't trust someone who has sent DMCA takedowns over people sharing clips of his edgy jokes but maybe you think this is behaviour of someone 'putting in the work'?

Only 2 cents I'd add is that on The Choe Show he did a very uncomfortable segment where he said he went through a long period of time as a sex addict and that he treated women really poorly and he was ashamed of it. So I'd hesistate to dismiss it as an edgy joke. And if it was, then it sucks that he's trying to bury it if he "put in the work." I'll steal a note from a review that what really sucks is that he didn't need to do the role. He was decent as Issac, but any actor could have played him. And now they'd got this shadow hanging over the production because they just had to have him in it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He did also do the art for the show’s intro which I thought lent a cool faux-fine-art energy to the show. But yeah I personally thought he was the weakest member of the cast.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Vegetable posted:

Either he made a very bad joke or he literally confessed to sexual assault. People are understandably cautious. You don’t have to be a jackass about it.

You shouldn't be using this website if you look at what was said here 10-20 years ago, and are "cautious".

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Fozzy The Bear posted:

You shouldn't be using this website if you look at what was said here 10-20 years ago, and are "cautious".

I've seen goons here acknowledge their past lovely jokes and how edgelord this place was yeah. At least that's an honesty and reckoning I haven't seen Choe engage in aside from what Parakeet vs. Phone pointed out. Honestly, if he didn't send out those DMCA takedowns I'd be more charitable with him, but now he's not only failed How To Avoid Streisand Effects 102 he's cast this incident over himself and the show. And just like with Danny/Amy in the shos he (and to an extent Yuen, Wong and Lee) kinda, if not fully, deserves it.

Vegetable posted:

He did also do the art for the show’s intro which I thought lent a cool faux-fine-art energy to the show. But yeah I personally thought he was the weakest member of the cast.

All the above aside, I actually thought he did really well in playing the devil on Danny's shoulder and appealing to if not magnifying all of Danny's worst traits (similarly, Jordan is the devil on Amy's shoulder). If there's characters I'd point to as the 'weakest' it'd be either June (which is just mean lol) or Bobby/Michael (perfectly cromulent comic relief pair).

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It’s intensely relatable. Ep8 where Amy’s dad and mum guilt trip her about her and George living far away meaning the parents didn’t get access to grandkids UNLIKE ALL THEIR FRIENDS hit very hard for me.

E:

Pachylad posted:

George - …and Amy are giving out Mr. PB and Diane vibes.

Actually yeah I see this too. It reminds me a lot of Bojack overall.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I binged this show over the weekend and I'm not sure it's because of my age and/or upbringing, but so much of this was incredibly relatable.

However, I don't want to delve into psychoanalysis, but this was one of the most perfectly written shows I think I've ever watched. I don't think they introduced one single thing that didn't pay off somewhere down the line. The pacing was also perfect, and as perfect of an end as ep 9 could have been, we still had ep 10 to really put the cherry on top.

The best payoff I think was how George talks about his "celestial twin" or whatever, and Amy is disgusted by the idea. Then by the last episode she realizes that Danny was her celestial twin. The only two people on earth who can understand one another.

I'm actually appreciate this show, and hope they leave well enough alone and don't make another season.