Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vegetable posted:

I don’t think many Asian-Americans today really look at Japanese people that way anymore. To me it was more of a general swipe: you married this person from outside your culture? The spouse might as well have been hispanic or white or Cambodian or whatever.

Yeah, and he doubles down on this reading later in the show, when he talks to Paul about the difference between White girls and Korean girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Has anyone actually come forward about this or could this conceivably be a case of someone just talking poo poo?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He's spent a lot of time in mental health institutions since.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, and he's also a bit of a manbaby who leans on his wife for certain kinds of support.

His big victory in the first half of the season is that interaction with the two dudes who try to scam him, but they're morons that he takes way too long to clock. And then he's so proud of himself for "fixing" a leak that didn't actually exist.

He's a useless failson who coasts off his privilege and never challenges himself. And his sculptures all look like turds.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Grip it and rip it posted:

He's a fulltime parent and homemaker. I don't know why his character inspires this kind of reaction in you but he's a completely affable guy imo.

I mean, sure I agreed with that in the first part of my post. The other stuff I said is also true though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, Danny thinks he is a hard worker but is constantly taking short cuts. The church offers to pay him for his work, he tries to pull some loan scam. Instead of finding a guy to help with the trees and build his network, he does something he isn't qualified to do. He constantly ignores his brothers good ideas. Hell even the 20 grand Isaac gives him as a "loan because he didn't ask Isaac the nature of the money.

So yah, sure capitalism but also Danny constantly tries to take short cuts when he has better things in front of him.

edit: also he burns his house down cause I assume he was lazy about wiring.

Uh what? None of this is true.

Danny's a hard worker who's constantly fixing things, often for free, e.g. the wonky church sign, and is basically raising his younger brother. Paul, on the other hand, is lazy and naive, and doesn't really understand the world or the value of work. Most of his ideas are poo poo, too.

Danny hustles, sure, but a lot of this is out of money desperation e.g. the tree trimming job. (I'm not sure how your solution would result in Danny getting paid at all, let alone paid enough). The church scam comes after he volunteers to fix the place for free, at first his motivation is about proving his has a bigger dick than his ex-gf's new husband.

And his house burns down because Amy burnt it down. this is wrong

Dude's not lazy, he's genuinely a hard worker with a lot of problems and not a lot of options.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 22, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ShowTime posted:

Wow I guess I need to watch the series again.

And the house burnt down because he used the wrong wiring. It even cut to the wiring he used being wrong.

Oh poo poo, no, I looked it up. You're right. My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Charles Melton was great in May December but I can’t stomach the rest of the cast turning pasty white. It was nice to have a limited series with an Asian cast.

Also, if this goes ahead, we're also gonna be losing the 90's energy which was the other notable aesthetic element from the original.

I'll be there watching day one, but I'm not sure what makes this different from something like FEUD*, or pretty much any single season narrative that features an escalating conflict between characters. But this is early days, we've really not got anything more significant here than: BEEF -- Couple's Challenge. I'm obviously jumping to conclusions, based on very little. But I guess that's the fun of speculating, it's just a laugh

*honestly, FEUD is more specific in that both seasons concern style icons from mid-century Americana, with a gently caress tonne of boomer queer energy.