Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

Welp this sucks

https://twitter.com/aurabogado/status/1646505812586823680?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Earlier in the podcast he talked about how he forced himself sexually on his masseuse in graphic detail

Now he’s claiming he made it up

https://twitter.com/aurabogado/status/1647745374378168320

Not a good look, Choe!

Anyway for the more on-topic and positive side gently caress this show is engrossing.

But uh yeah, tough to enjoy with this elephant in the room :/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Episode 9: How is the timeline for Isaac's release supposed to be? Danny screws him over pre-timeskip and apparently some time post-timeskip Amy then bails him out with the testimony that it was indeed Danny doing the road rage and lets Isaac start his revenge? In fact, was it necessarily Amy (could it be Naomi?) that let him out? And I'm not sure if it's also post-timeskip either (since Isaac mentions 'the Filipinos killing him') so what's the rough time between his release and his revenge on Danny?

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Also skimming through some posts on Reddit and I personally feel like people are really harsh on George? Yeah he's a priveleged himbo dip who claims, and maybe even intends, to want to understand Amy and is woefully shallow at being able to do that, but imo folks are downplaying Amy's flaws.

At the very least I think it was justified that he ask for a divorce and later sole custody for Junie, as much as Amy genuinely loved her

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, and he doubles down on this reading later in the show, when he talks to Paul about the difference between White girls and Korean girls.

Baggot posted:

As an Asian-American child of a Chinese parent and a Korean parent who is also the same age as both Danny and Amy, his reaction of "Oh, he's Japanese" was absolutely 100% a cultural diss borne of cross-generational trauma, although I also think Danny's reaction is almost more of surprise than malice in that moment.

Danny strikes me as an interesting case of this: upholding his parents' bias while putting his own spin on it, and more general Asian-American misogyny (a lot of his talk especially earlier when he initially thought Amy married a white dude and being a housewife reminded me eerily of r/aznidentity talking points), especially in contrast to Paul where for all his faults seems to be the one to have at least broken the 'family curse' of needing to live up to strict tradition (he isn't so hung up about 'supporting Korean', doesn't have Danny's neuroses about other races)

That said, I think the catfishing(? is that accurate?) turning into a genuine friendship with George is an interesting development, both a mirror to Amy's own twisted timeline with Paul and how the odd-couple dynamic of a conservative working-class Korean-American bonding with a liberal privileged Japanese-American.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

I have a looooot to talk about George - the good, the bad, the toxically positive and which parts I want to defend our himbo dip that's kind of the other side of the himbo coin from Paul, but for now I'll just say I'm surprised I don't think I've seen anyone point out that he and Amy are giving out Mr. PB and Diane vibes.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Hardawn posted:

George's main struggle is no one speaks to him at face value and Danny was able to capitalize on this for his beef, but it was actually the realist connection George had had since Mia.

We also have Danny finding the sort of connection he couldn't have as a 'responsible older brother' with George. He razzes against 'Western therapy not working on Eastern minds', but he obviously gets something out of his conversations with the lovable pampered liberal.

On the flipside, you have Amy having sort of a weird older sister/lover(/mother??) vibe with Paul where she finds some semblance of connection after the initial 'catfishing'. Amy wanted the assertiveness and irresponsibility she couldn't get with George and Paul got the affection and relative freedom with Amy he was starved from under Danny.

I really love how our two himbos opened up to and opened up the other party of the beef, but only so far because the only people who can understand Danny and Amy aren't Danny/George and Amy/Paul but Danny/Amy all along.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I really liked this show up until learning about the rape controversy. I'd seen the first five episodes prior to the news and was captivated but can't get through the sixth. My brain can't get past the fact that I'm watching someone who jokes about raping women.

Is there other media that the thread would recommend that hits similar notes, minus the rape?

I loved this a lot more than Everything Everywhere All at Once, I think EEAAO touches on similar dealings with Asian-American identity and nihilism, though it is a lot more idealistic than the pitch black humour in Beef (imo a detriment, I love that Beef was willing to wallow in the dirt and misery, and I didn't find the overarching philosophy as irritatingly pat). The folks in EEAAO also seem a lot more likeable and a lot less problematic than the Beef folks, so if you want some guilt-free viewing that's a nice pick-me-up. For all my problems with the film, I was genuinely happy for the sweep at the Oscars because you can feel no cynicism with those guys.

It's darkly humorous that David Choe's edgelord joke is what's sinking its reputation in the Discourse now, it's almost like something playing out from the show - where this heinous action just sparks off a chain of dominoes that's likely to lead to their comeuppance.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Been looking through some posts on whether Danny or Amy is 'worse' (or the cowards' centrists' take that 'they're both just as bad/justified'/'it doesn't matter'), one such comment:

quote:

i think a lot of the issues people are having when comparing “who was worse” stems from not acknowledging the context of the actions these characters take. someone mentioned it above, but many of danny’s actions are done out of desperation, which makes it easier to empathize with and understand. it obviously doesn’t make it right, and he’s a hosed up person (that’s the whole point of the show) but it goes to show the lengths someone will go to justify their actions when they’re in their lowest spot. and i would like to preface by saying that i personally empathize more with danny having been a poor person who’s been at the end of their rope, and i can see toxic traits in him that are familiar had i not put in effort to get help.

on the contrast, we have amy, who didn’t commit a ton of crimes, but instead did a bunch of “small” things to a person way less powerful than her and at their tipping point, in a way so calculated as to completely destroy his entire world. let’s put it this way. if amy showed up to danny’s apartment as, let’s say a home decor consult, and pissed on his floor, danny would not be able to retaliate in the same way that amy had with the same effect. if he tried to review bomb her business, he’d get flagged as a troll and it would have zero impact. but when amy did it, it effectively ended his already struggling company. amy didn’t do that because she was being honest, she did it because it was the way she could cause the most damage to him with the lowest risk to herself. she knew she could use her power to pull off something like that.

you can see this kinda thing in all of the stuff she does, she catfished the brother on accident at first. it seems like her original intention was to blackmail danny in some way, but she didn’t get very far because paul immediately responded. once she realized it was an innocent party, she could have took the L immediately, but kept on with it because she not only wanted to get back at her husband she was suspicious of, but to drive a wedge between danny and his only lifeline. the truck, that’s all danny had. if danny did the same to amy, she’d have bought a new car. and so on, you should see my point.

tl;dr, the point being, it’s not about the 1:1 objective comparison between their actions, it’s about the context of their actions. it’s about using privilege as a weapon.

Interested to see people's thoughts on this. On one hand, I wanna be a good leftist and provide class sympathy for Danny, Working Class Hero but then Episode 8 comes along when Amy finally confronts her mistakes and is willing to accept the consequences while he digs in deeper, to say nothing of him screwing over Paul all this time. Or is it fair to still judge him given that Amy had more access to resources all this time?

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1649496117175017472

Speaking of which

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Fozzy The Bear posted:

A comedian makes a very bad joke 10 years ago. Therefore I am never watching anything associated with him ever again.

Well I for one wouldn't trust someone who has sent DMCA takedowns over people sharing clips of his edgy jokes but maybe you think this is behaviour of someone 'putting in the work'?

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Fozzy The Bear posted:

You shouldn't be using this website if you look at what was said here 10-20 years ago, and are "cautious".

I've seen goons here acknowledge their past lovely jokes and how edgelord this place was yeah. At least that's an honesty and reckoning I haven't seen Choe engage in aside from what Parakeet vs. Phone pointed out. Honestly, if he didn't send out those DMCA takedowns I'd be more charitable with him, but now he's not only failed How To Avoid Streisand Effects 102 he's cast this incident over himself and the show. And just like with Danny/Amy in the shos he (and to an extent Yuen, Wong and Lee) kinda, if not fully, deserves it.

Vegetable posted:

He did also do the art for the show’s intro which I thought lent a cool faux-fine-art energy to the show. But yeah I personally thought he was the weakest member of the cast.

All the above aside, I actually thought he did really well in playing the devil on Danny's shoulder and appealing to if not magnifying all of Danny's worst traits (similarly, Jordan is the devil on Amy's shoulder). If there's characters I'd point to as the 'weakest' it'd be either June (which is just mean lol) or Bobby/Michael (perfectly cromulent comic relief pair).

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

'it all fades away' was pretty bleak, but what really hit me was Amy telling Danny "you're the reason [Paul]'s a loving child" and Danny hitting back "honestly you should stay away from [your family] too" in that same episode, just devastating in how only the person to truly hate them is also the one to (even if inadvertently) precisely diagnose them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Huh surprised to see no one talk about this:

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1762195278059475166

Slightly disappointed they're not focusing on another PoC environment but maybe Lee Sung-Jin doesn't feel comfortable writing outside his own milieus. I'd still watch and be tenatively excited.