Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Team Getting Victor
This poll is closed.
Pistons 7 17.07%
Spurs 14 34.15%
Rockets 2 4.88%
Blazers 4 9.76%
UCONN 6 14.63%
Other 8 19.51%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Overall a good experience though. You gotta rack up those playoff games to win them (unless you're a hall of famer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

R.D. Mangles posted:

there is none. they have no draft pick until like 2026 so they can't even tank. they can't even let vooch walk because they're over the cap so they can't replace him and ball will probably never play basketball again. enjoyed the one year i thought the bulls were competently run before realizing they hired Jonas Paxojunas. dont worry i'll keep drinking this garbage.

the one year in like the rest of the decade they have a draft pick, they drafted terry and treated him like a second round two-way guy! it's infuriating!!!!!!

We have our pick next year

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think the front office at the deadline had basically accepted this team was doomed but didn't like the trade market, so they decided they'd trade LaVine in the offseason. But now they're in a weird position where LaVine looked really good post ASB, and I don't think they have the appetite to do a rebuild rather than a retool, so do you really wanna make your first big move a trade of the super dynamic scorer that's in his prime even if he's maddeningly flawed/inconsistent? Can you resist the allure of convincing yourself this might be the season he Finally Puts It Together?

This team's best path to contention probably does involve trading LaVine, but it'd have to be the right trade or else it just ends up being a reshuffling of the deck. Either all the stars align and you can use him as the centerpiece of a deal for a legit star (in a package with, like, Patrick Williams and picks or whatever), or maybe you pull a version of a PG13/SGA-type deal where you trade him to a team who sees him as The Final Piece and gives up a promising young player who ends up blooming into a star in their own right.

It's more unlikely than not that one of those types of deals presents themselves this offseason, and if they don't, I would sadly probably just roll the dice and keep LaVine at least until the next deadline in hopes that a truly great option emerges. You likely can't keep riding with him forever, and there will probably come a time when it's best to just cash in and take whatever the best deal is you can get for him, but I'm not quite at that point yet.

I know it sounds depressing, but I'd maybe try one last retool around Zach/Demar, see what they look like with a defensive center and a couple of actual shooters, hope it's more of a five seed-type team than one that's desperately clinging to the last play-in spot. I dunno

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

xbilkis posted:

I know it sounds depressing, but I'd maybe try one last retool around Zach/Demar, see what they look like with a defensive center and a couple of actual shooters, hope it's more of a five seed-type team than one that's desperately clinging to the last play-in spot. I dunno

The Bulls have nothing to trade, are over the cap, and won't pay the tax, so I have no idea how they add any of those players.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1647261079926366209

by all accounts, quinn rules is and is a very important assistant to spo, but is this barely scraping by the play-in developing abso-fuckin-lutely-nobody Heat really the team housing the superstar young coach gonna propel the pistons into the future? is he gonna make starting 5 James Wiseman into a star?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'm not sure what the Raptors are going to do but I wonder if the overconfidence I get from my friends about their ability to improve through the draft is shared by the front office—I hope it is not. So many people have already told me that they can improve with the 12th-14th pick or whatever but the last batch of 2nd rounders and late 1sts haven't worked out the way people wanted (to be fair, the expectations were always too high).
Obviously the team is not close to contention but getting more depth could probably turn them into a 6/7 seed. I don't know how you get it though because any starter you give up is going to make you worse in the short term. Maybe they wait and hope someone good suddenly becomes available like Donovan Mitchell did for the Cavs.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/cclark_13/status/1646994477280575488

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

cj also made some comments about how important Availability and Diet are

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

BWV posted:

I'm not sure what the Raptors are going to do but I wonder if the overconfidence I get from my friends about their ability to improve through the draft is shared by the front office—I hope it is not. So many people have already told me that they can improve with the 12th-14th pick or whatever but the last batch of 2nd rounders and late 1sts haven't worked out the way people wanted (to be fair, the expectations were always too high).
Obviously the team is not close to contention but getting more depth could probably turn them into a 6/7 seed. I don't know how you get it though because any starter you give up is going to make you worse in the short term. Maybe they wait and hope someone good suddenly becomes available like Donovan Mitchell did for the Cavs.

The Raptors are such a weird case because it's so tempting to treat the "up 10 half way through the fourth quarter" part of their games as more real than the "outscored by 15 over the last 6 minutes and lose by 5" part. There's clearly something good there. Is there a way for the team to just kind of mentally reset and fix their problem with defensive focus? Will that be more easily fixable with a new coach? Or is there a systemic defensive weakness that's now widely known and exploited?

They definitely need more shotmaking. Not just the elite shotmaking that contenders need but even, like, what they used to get from Demar Derozan and Norman Powell. The elite tier stuff is obviously always incredibly hard to come by but maybe the draft can help with the more mid-tier stuff.

The draft and develop stuff definitely hasn't been as good to them as it used to be. Guys like VanVleet and even Delon Wright are like five years in the past now. You want to believe in their ability to draft and develop but, well, they gotta give us more reasons to believe.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/1647299342548467712

lmao we're hosed

Let me go jump on the OKC bandwagon.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Bulls have nothing to trade, are over the cap, and won't pay the tax, so I have no idea how they add any of those players.

Caruso should be a really valuable trade piece to a contender, but also the Bulls defense would probably fall apart without him. I might try to see if you can replace 70% of what he brings to the table with Javonte though

Other than that you have uh...a Vucevic sign and trade? Yeah they're hosed

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I could see an East contender team that comes up short of the finals cracking open the piggy bank for Caruso.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1647261079926366209

by all accounts, quinn rules is and is a very important assistant to spo, but is this barely scraping by the play-in developing abso-fuckin-lutely-nobody Heat really the team housing the superstar young coach gonna propel the pistons into the future? is he gonna make starting 5 James Wiseman into a star?

I don’t know how much effect assistant coaches have on the fortunes of a team.

Thank you can have a coach who comes up with a new defensive coverage like Thibodeau but thats a relatively rare thing.

I think you want a head coach who’s an executive and leader of men

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
From oct 16th, 2022 after raps beat celtics twice in the preseason

quote:

Why I think the Raptors will be the 1 seed in the East this year

Hear me out. After December 31st 2021 something clicked for the Raptors. Before then they were 14-17 and after that date they were 34-17 which was a .667 which would of gotten them first place if they had that pace the whole year.

I don't know another team that arguably has a top 10 point guard (Fred VanVleet), top 15 shooting guard (Gary Trent Jr.), top 15 small forward (OG Anunoby), top 10 power forward (Scottie Barnes), and a top 5 ish center (Pascal Siakam) along with a strong bench, top 5-10 defense, and a top 5 coach.

Not saying they will win the championship, but I truly think this is their season to shine
People thought this was a troll but its funny how raps are talented but just not performing.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/stephanie_murr/status/1647215054754832384?s=20

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That explains all the awful Kevin Garnet commercials, he needs to fill the void created by Shaq not being a spokesman for every scam on Earth.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

crazy to think that the TNT studio is actually some secret lair that you have to drive through a waterfall to find.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

BWV posted:

The Raps with a real center would’ve been 6-7 this year imo. The sicko mode Lillard for Siakam trade would definitely work but I don’t think he’d appreciate a lateral move like that and given his accomplishments and age he might honestly retire after that.

If any team has guards they can’t get play time for ask for them. Dalano Banton my dear fellow Rexdale mans you need some more training in the G league

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Rick posted:

That explains all the awful Kevin Garnet commercials, he needs to fill the void created by Shaq not being a spokesman for every scam on Earth.

Please don't tell me KG is shilling some crypto poo poo.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Just lots of gambling and data mining ad TV

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

It's some raw diamond that he can't even have

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

BWV posted:

crazy to think that the TNT studio is actually some secret lair that you have to drive through a waterfall to find.

The inside the NBA gang have been holograms for years

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1647958156163657736?s=20

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Eric Bledsoe is capable of anything

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dejan Bimble posted:

Eric Bledsoe is capable of anything

He was actually suspended for that entire series and the throwing games was done so that he would be available for more games in the difficult series next.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1648024852740333568?t=98rBAfvImfDewaeBMWfUUg&s=19

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kibner posted:

He was actually suspended for that entire series and the throwing games was done so that he would be available for more games in the difficult series next.

This time ..

pizzaclown
Oct 17, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

The Raptors are such a weird case because it's so tempting to treat the "up 10 half way through the fourth quarter" part of their games as more real than the "outscored by 15 over the last 6 minutes and lose by 5" part. There's clearly something good there. Is there a way for the team to just kind of mentally reset and fix their problem with defensive focus? Will that be more easily fixable with a new coach? Or is there a systemic defensive weakness that's now widely known and exploited?

They definitely need more shotmaking. Not just the elite shotmaking that contenders need but even, like, what they used to get from Demar Derozan and Norman Powell. The elite tier stuff is obviously always incredibly hard to come by but maybe the draft can help with the more mid-tier stuff.

The draft and develop stuff definitely hasn't been as good to them as it used to be. Guys like VanVleet and even Delon Wright are like five years in the past now. You want to believe in their ability to draft and develop but, well, they gotta give us more reasons to believe.

I feel like an actual center and a semi-competent backup guard would have made a world of difference on this team. Masai and Bobby failed to fill some glaring holes in the roster and instead we got to watch the starters outplay their opponents until they were so gassed that nobody could defend or make a clutch bucket in the 4th.

I also love Fred and Pascal but think they are subpar leaders. Both spend a lot of time moping and having your star players bringing that energy is less than productive.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://defector.com/mission-accomplished-shaquille-oneal-finally-served-with-class-action-lawsuit-documents

quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, they got him. A historic day—mark it on your calendar for all time: Sunday afternoon, process servers finally cornered Shaquille O'Neal outside of his residence in Atlanta and forced him to accept transmission of documents related to a class-action lawsuit filed way back in November 2022. After months spent unsuccessfully hounding his various properties, after a failed motion to have a Florida court adopt a Texas legal standard that would permit plaintiffs to serve O'Neal electronically by sliding into his direct messages, after lawyers resorted to quite literally tweet-shaming O'Neal from the parking lot in front of the TNT studio where he films live episodes of Inside the NBA, at last a process server was able to physically pass documents into O'Neal's enormous hands, bringing to a close this months-long saga.

As reported by The Block, plaintiff's attorney Adam Moskowitz confirmed that the "end of this silly sideshow" was captured on video on the doorstep of O'Neal's Atlanta home. “We just served personally Shaquille O’Neal outside his house with a copy of our complaint at 4pm,” Moskowitz told The Block in an email. “His home video cameras recorded our service and we have made it very clear, he is not to destroy and/or erase any of these security tapes, because they must be preserved for our lawsuit."

O'Neal is now formally engaged in the complaint, and will eventually be required to appear in federal court. According to the extremely desperate tweets last week from Moskowitz's law firm, O'Neal was the last of the "FTX celebrities"—a group which, depending upon how you feel about Udonis Haslem's claims to fame, features up to nine other paid FTX spokespeople—to agree to receive his legal complaint. The group includes Tom Brady, Gisele Bündchen, Larry David, Shohei Ohtani, Trevor Lawrence, Stephen Curry, David Ortiz, and Naomi Osaka, and all are accused of using their fame to lure unsuspecting retail investors into investing in Sam Bankman-Fried's "Deceptive FTX Platform." FTX, a cryptocurrency exchange closely associated with a Bankman-Fried-run crypto-hedge fund, went kerblooey in November after CoinDesk research showed that a whopping $5.8 billion of FTX's "assets" were in the form of its own worthless, imaginary coin/security called FTT. O'Neal, who famously will endorse just about anything at any time, endorsed FTX in a video posted online in June 2022.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

temple posted:

From oct 16th, 2022 after raps beat celtics twice in the preseason

People thought this was a troll but its funny how raps are talented but just not performing.

Who wrote this cause lol

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Who wrote this cause lol
As with anything, reddit. I set a reminder for the end of the season just to savor it.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/BradeauxNBA/status/1648853151020089349?s=20

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

I love him

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1649054312788791303?s=20

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Nick Nurse died

e: was fired sorry trying to go too fast

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

abuse culture. posted:

Nick Nurse died

e: was fired sorry trying to go too fast

Nurse would be the best candidate available if he wanted an opening, I'd have to assume.

The Mavs will not hire him instead favoring someone who wears shoes Nico likes and/or rally behind Kidd for some reason

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Its actually a little shocking Kidd still has a job and makes me think he's going to be there next year.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/BlakeMurphyODC/status/1649431358614142980?t=y7EJY7_9Qo_p9oAn6twg2w&s=19

Masai gets that at the end of the day Raptor fans just wanna feel seen.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I really haven't seen any indication that Kidd's going anywhere aside from the wishful thinking of the entire fanbase and the "of course you fire him duh" assumption of every other fanbase. The Mavs are plowing ahead as is, still convinced they're smarter than the entire rest of the league, and now that they understand 1) NBA players have parents and 2) the take rule change disrupted EVERYTHING, they're going to take the league by storm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Per team and league sources, Bucks assistant coach Charles Lee, Pelicans assistant coach Jarron Collins and Overtime Elite head coach Kevin Ollie are the current, early frontrunners for Detroit’s first-chair vacancy. Lee and Ollie were two names high on Detroit’s list going into the process and have both interviewed with team executives. Collins, too, was someone the organization was very interested in going into the process and, according to league and team sources, had a stellar interview.