Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Phelddagrif posted:

Now, we'd love to pick up those clues in the Back Alley before resigning for the victory point, but there's a problem. There's a rule that when you resign, you drop any clues you're carrying on your location. This means that even if we pick up those clues, we'll have to leave them here when we resign, so there'd be no point. Instead, Rex will just run to safety.

I fell like this is one of those rules that's almost always worth house-ruling, since it basically only ever comes up in situations like this where it seems like the devs forgot the rule exists too. The theoretical actual purpose of it, allowing a cluever to resign mid-scenario without rendering the scenario unwinnable by removing too many clues from the game, basically just makes scenarios effectively unwinnable because the remaining party members probably aren't going to be able to pick all of them back up in time anyway. That's not to say printing victory points that are essentially unobtainable is beyond the devs, but generally they're more obvious about trolling the players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Keeping it surely won't bite us in the rear end

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
If we destroy it it'll probably just respawn and who knows where it'll wind up. Might as well Keep it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What can a little book do? We should pick it up, just in case Just remember, before picking it up, to say ‘Klaatu Barada Nictum’. No particular reason.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

DESTROY it.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Keep it so that we may become what we once hunted.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Keep it! It’s just a book, those are super safe.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Keep that Latin translation of Kitab Al-Azif

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Keep that book. It'll be fine.

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
For all your technomagical needs
Keep it. Always wanted to go mad reading a book.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Burn it. What do you think this is, the book club for nerds?

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
keep that cursed book!

Lamanda
Apr 18, 2003

Keep it!

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Keep it. It's better to go mad WITH power, than mad WITHOUT power.

Blenderkitty
May 6, 2004

dog dog dog dog dog dog dog
Biscuit Hider
Destroyyyyy let's make the world a better place

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Keep it, books are cool and good!

(:ohno:)

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Looks like we're keeping the book! Nothing can go wrong with this plan.

Next update is about ready and will go up tomorrow.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Interlude I: Armitage's Fate

quote:

When you arrive at Dr. Armitage’s home in Southside, you find him sitting at his desk, pale-faced and sweating with worry. He is grateful to you for searching for his colleagues, but he doesn’t look relieved. With a long pause, he straightens his glasses and explains:

“I’m afraid I must apologize. There’s something I didn’t mention to you earlier.” Dr. Armitage then spins a tale you would scarcely believe had it not been for your harrowing experiences earlier that night…

> In your Campaign Log, record that the investigators rescued Dr. Henry Armitage. Any one investigator may choose to add Dr. Henry Armitage to his or her deck. This card does not count toward that investigator’s deck size.

After the events we've experienced tonight, it's a relief to see that at least one person is all right. The good doctor is shaken, but even so he's willing to join us on our journey. Since his ability lets us turn any card into resources, Jim will be more than happy to look after him, as he can always use the extra economy.

Now that we have an abundance of experience, both investigators have invested in some serious upgrades to their decks.

For Jim, in addition to upgrading the other copy of Shrivelling to level 3, he's also picked up a Grotesque Statue. This will make his critical skill tests much, much more reliable (and is the reason why Scavenging is in his deck, so this can be re-used once it's out of charges).

Rex, meanwhile, has spent all his XP on two copies of Pathfinder. As printed this card is pretty busted, so it's been Taboo'd to cost more experience; even so it's still very good. A free move action every round is incredibly strong when Rex already wants to be running around and clearing off locations as quickly as possible.

Now then, let's hear what Dr. Armitage has to say.

Part III: The Miskatonic Museum

Several months ago, Armitage and his colleagues stopped a rampaging horror from tearing through Dunwich, a backwater town several hours north and west of Arkham. At first you imagine this beast as a rabid bear, or worse, but the professor’s description of the creature paints a different picture.

It all began when a man named Wilbur Whateley entered the Orne Library looking for Olaus Wormius’s Latin translation of a book called the
Necronomicon. Wilbur already possessed a beaten-up English translation by Dr. John Dee, but it was insufficient for his purposes. Armitage turned the man away, fearing what use the strange man had for the book. Whateley returned in secret, hoping to steal the book , but was attacked by a hound guarding the university. Armitage, Rice, and Morgan later discovered Whateley’s body. A description of the foul corpse—semi-anthropomorphic and covered in fur, with a leathery hide and greenish-grey tentacles—causes you to question whether or not Whateley was truly human.

“My colleagues and I were quick to put the ordeal behind us,” Armitage says with a sigh. “But it seems that things haven’t fully resolved themselves. I’ll tell you the rest later, but for now, it is imperative that we get our hands on that copy of the
Necronomicon. If my instincts are correct, the assailants you’ve encountered will be searching for it. After all that transpired, I didn’t feel safe keeping it at the library, so I brought it to my good friend, Harold Walsted. He is the current curator of the Miskatonic Museum. I thought it would be safe in the museum’s Restricted Hall, but now I’m not so sure. You must retrieve it at all costs! I fear terribly what they could do with the rites contained in its pages…”

quote:

Setup

> Gather all cards from the following encounter sets: The Miskatonic Museum, Bad Luck, Sorcery, The Beyond, Chilling Cold, and Locked Doors.

> Put one of the two Administration Office locations and one of the two Security Office locations into play at random. Remove the other versions of Administration Office and Security Office from the game. Then, put the Museum Entrance and Museum Halls locations into play. Each investigator begins play at the Museum Entrance.

> Set the 6 “Exhibit Hall” locations aside as a separate “Exhibit Deck.” To do this, perform the following:
- Shuffle the Exhibit Hall (Restricted Hall) and 2 other random Exhibit Hall locations together to form the bottom 3 cards of the Exhibit Deck, unrevealed side faceup.
- Then, place the other 3 Exhibit Hall locations on top, in a random order. All 6 cards of the Exhibit Hall deck should be showing only the unrevealed side, so that the players do not know which Exhibit Hall is the Exhibit Hall (Restricted Hall).

> Set the following cards aside, out of play: Harold Walsted, Adam Lynch, The Necronomicon (Olaus Wormius Translation), and Shadow-spawned.

> Shuffle the remainder of the encounter cards to build the encounter deck.

“The Void”
Some cards in this scenario reference an area called “the void.” The void is an out-of-play area next to the act and agenda deck which the Hunting Horror enemy can enter and leave via card effects. While the Hunting Horror is in the void, it is considered out of play and cannot be affected by player cards or investigator actions.

What the hell have these people been up to? Well, if half the things we've heard are true, we can't let the Necronomicon fall into the wrong hands. People are going missing, and they might face the same fate as Whateley if this book isn't recovered. There's no time to waste.

But it's late at night, and the museum is closed. Waiting until morning is out of the question, we need a way in. We might be able to flag down a security guard, if we can get his attention.

Not the easiest task, but Rex should be able to find the clues we need pretty quickly. Of course, we could also take more direct action.

With enough muscle, we could break open the front door and force our way in. It'll probably attract the wrong kind of attention, but it might be faster!

Well, I say that, but our group isn't exactly big on muscle. Looks like it's time to start investigating!

- Round 1 -

quote:

> Rex investigates (4 to 3). Chaos token is a skull (-1). Success! Rex discovers a clue.

Special tokens coming out early this time! Both the skull and cultist tokens are -1's, so they're pretty good for us. The other two types of tokens aren't in our bag so we can ignore them; we'll see how we might have gotten those in the post-campaign wrapup.

quote:

> Rex investigates (4 to 3). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Rex discovers a clue.

That's both clues we needed; let's advance the act and head inside.

Not exactly the bravest guard; he should be protecting us, not the other way around! We'll leave him in Jim's care, he's probably the best prepared to handle danger.

We were also told to reveal the Museum Halls, so it's now unlocked and available to enter. We can also see the main gameplay loop we'll be dealing with; during setup we created a separate deck of six Exhibit Hall locations, one of which contains our destination. In order to reveal them we'll need to gather clues, bring them here, and spend them to find more places to investigate.

So let's get to investigating. The Restricted Hall is somewhere on the bottom half of the deck, so we'll need to reveal four locations at minimum. As such, movement is key, and Rex has the perfect tool.

quote:

> Rex plays Pathfinder.

Rex exhausts Pathfinder, moving to the Museum Halls.

Since Adam gives Jim a benefit in the Security Office, let's head that way and see if it's worth our while.

quote:

>> Jim moves to the Museum Halls, then to the Security Office.

It certainly is! Once per turn, Jim will be able to hunt through his deck for specific cards he needs. And it's an easy source of clues to boot. We might be hanging out here for a while.

quote:

> Jim activates the Security Office, drawing Grotesque Statue.

No enemies yet; we'll see how long that lasts.

- Round 2 -

First of 5 doom.

Jim's first encounter card is Stalked in the Dark. Since we've seen no hide nor hair of the Hunting Horror, it surges into Pushed into the Beyond. This semi-whiffs; Jim doesn't control any non-story assets (other than Indebted, which is permanent and can't leave play) but he still discards the top 3 cards of his deck.

Rex draws a Twist of Fate, which we saw in the last scenario; he pulls a skull token and takes 2 horror.

The Security Office is a pretty easy source of clues, so let's leave that for Jim and have Rex check out the other side of the map.

quote:

Rex exhausts Pathfinder, moving to the Administration Office.

Even easier! 4 resources seems like kind of a high threshold to meet, but Rex still has 3, so it's practically free. I goofed here; you need at least 5 resources to investigate, not 4. It ends up not making a difference, as we'll see next round.

quote:

> Rex gains a resource.

> Rex investigates (4 to 1). Chaos token is a -4.

> Rex investigates (4 to 1). Chaos token is a cultist (-1). Success! Rex discovers 2 clues.

Could've gone better, but can't complain. As for Jim, he's got pretty much all the cards he needs, so he's gonna start building up his tableau.

quote:

> Jim plays Emergency Cache.

> Jim plays Grotesque Statue.

> Jim plays Ritual Candles.

- Round 3 -

2 of 5 doom.

Jim gets Terror from Beyond; we saw this in the first scenario and it's just as dangerous now, since he can't consult with Rex on which card type to choose. Jim has a few assets and events, so he chooses to discard skill cards, losing Unexpected Courage. Fortunately, Rex didn't have any skills in hand so it worked out.

Another repeat treachery; hopefully Rex will be able to shrug this off by investigating somewhere easy. Actually, he's on a 1-shroud location; why don't we just try it here?

quote:

Rex plays Magnifying Glass.

> Rex investigates (4 to 1). Chaos token is a cultist (-1). Success! Cursed Luck is discarded.

There's no clues here to collect, but that's fine; you're allowed to investigate an empty location for things like this. (edit: this is the point where Rex should've gotten those clues that he got last round by mistake.) With that out of the way, let's start exploring those exhibits:

quote:

> Rex activates Museum Halls, spending 2 clues to put Exhibit Hall into play.

> Rex plays Pathfinder.

Rex exhausts Pathfinder, moving to Exhibit Hall (Hall of the Dead).

Double the Pathfinders means double the free moves!

Not the most pleasant exhibit, but I'll go anywhere if it gets us a victory point. Rex is finally out of actions, so it's over to Jim to try to grab a clue or two.

quote:

> Jim plays Shrivelling (3).

> Jim investigates (3 to 2). Chaos token is a -2.

> Jim investigates (3 to 2). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Jim discovers a clue.

Not quite as exciting a turn, but he's fully prepared for danger now.

- Round 4 -

3 of 5 doom. Jim gets another Twist of Fate, pulls a -3 and takes a damage.

Rex draws a Crypt Chill; we've seen this plenty of times already and it always has the potential to be awful. Here, we'd probably be losing the Magnifying Glass, which isn't too bad, but we really need to be investigating as quickly as possible. Rather than taking the test, Rex plays a Ward of Protection to cancel it.

quote:

> Rex investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is the autofail. Rex takes a horror.

> Rex investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a -2. Success! Rex discovers a clue.

> Rex investigates, committing "I've got a plan!" (6 to 3). Chaos token is a -3. Success! Rex discovers a clue.

Not the best luck; we could've had this place emptied out with better draws. Can Jim do any better?

quote:

> Jim investigates (3 to 2). Chaos token is the autofail.

> Jim investigates (3 to 2). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Jim discovers a clue.

> Jim activates the Security Office, drawing Lucky!

Kind of; we got the other clue, but otherwise kind of a dud of a turn. I was hoping to dig up a Ward or an Arcane Initiate but came up blank. Hopefully next round goes better.

- Round 5 -

4 of 5 doom.

Jim draws Arcane Barrier, a repeat from the first scenario, which attaches to the Security Office. Shouldn't be a problem for him, he's got plenty of Willpower and cards that boost it.

Rex draws a different kind of barrier, and I find myself wishing I'd saved the Ward of Protection. We won't be able to investigate this Exhibit Hall any more, and we don't really have the stats to deal with it. Let's find somewhere else to go.

quote:

Rex exhausts Pathfinder, moving to Exhibit Hall (Nature Exhibit).

What is wrong with these exhibits!?

quote:

> Rex investigates (5 to 4). Chaos token is a 0. Success! Rex discovers a clue.

> Rex investigates (5 to 4). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Rex discovers a clue.

Great, I can't wait to get out and find something a bit more friendly!

quote:

> Jim activates the Security Office, drawing Holy Rosary.

> Jim plays Holy Rosary.

> Jim attempts to move, testing against the Arcane Barrier and committing Ritual Candles (6 to 4). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Arcane Barrier is discarded and Jim moves to the Museum Halls.

Still not what I really wanted, but the passive Willpower boost is always welcome. We're chugging along nicely and should find the Restricted Hall in no time.

- Round 6 -

The first agenda is complete, and advances:

...I'm sure she's friendly.

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 19, 2023

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Sorry to nitpick, but the admin offices text means you need 5 resources to investigate, not 4.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Good doggy nice doggy don't eat my trumpet Doggy :cthulhu:

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

mr_stibbons posted:

Sorry to nitpick, but the admin offices text means you need 5 resources to investigate, not 4.

Huh, so it does! I saw the "4" and my brain read that as the minimum. Oh well, it doesn't really change anything since Rex did an extra investigation there anyway.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Does Adam Lynch's drawback of taking a dump inside your chaos bag if he dies also apply if you win (or resign) the scenario ? Technically he "leaves play" in those cases too...

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

I'm surprised that Hunting Horror's Fight attribute is so low, they're generally considered pretty beefy in most Mythos fiction.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Kobal2 posted:

Does Adam Lynch's drawback of taking a dump inside your chaos bag if he dies also apply if you win (or resign) the scenario ? Technically he "leaves play" in those cases too...

Card effects cease being resolved once a resolution is hit, so him leaving play as part of clean up doesn't actually do anything.

However, if the scenario is one where the end condition is "everyone has resigned", then you do have to be very careful because all but one of your players are going to be taking their cards out of play, and potentially can cause poor Adam to think about ants and die once he's a safe distance away (the last player resigning can usually opt to resolve any scenario-ending Forced effect first to prevent the rest of the stack from firing).

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Nick Buntline posted:

Card effects cease being resolved once a resolution is hit, so him leaving play as part of clean up doesn't actually do anything.

However, if the scenario is one where the end condition is "everyone has resigned", then you do have to be very careful because all but one of your players are going to be taking their cards out of play, and potentially can cause poor Adam to think about ants and die once he's a safe distance away (the last player resigning can usually opt to resolve any scenario-ending Forced effect first to prevent the rest of the stack from firing).

I figured as much (that would have been a dick move, even for this generally very dickish game), but I had to ask.

I remember the Dunwich campaign up to the next scenario, but forgot the rest. I do remember we were doing pretty good up to this point, and kept getting curbstomped harder and harder as we went along. Then we had the brilliant idea of inserting a one-shot scenario in the middle of the campaign "to power up a little" (it kinda made sense, narratively) and got out of *that* little outing in the woods with no more XP than we started with, one more weakness each and permanent injuries.
Just a stellar showing by our investigation team, all around.

Needless to say, we all died horribly in the end.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

The Miskatonic Museum: Part 2

We've explored a good chunk of the museum, gathering clues and wandering the exhibits in relative peace and quiet. We're on the hunt for a Latin translation of the Necronomicon, but something in here is hunting us.

Something with sharp, pointy teeth. The Hunting Horror isn't just the primary threat in this scenario; it's the only threat. There's no other monsters in the encounter deck; every other card is a treachery designed to slow us down or send this thing after us. It doesn't look like much, with a mere 2 combat stat and 3 health, but this is just its first form.

Every time we kill it, it gets sent to the "void". When it returns, we add a marker to this card, which increases all of its stats. Meaning, each time we kill the Horror, it will only come back stronger.

Well, that would be the case, except the designers made a mistake.

See, the effect that attaches the Shadow-spawned card to the Horror is on the front side of the agenda cards. But since the agenda just advanced, we're resolving the text on the back side of the card, and that's the only side that's "in play" right now.

That is to say, we get a freebie this time, and killing the Horror won't make it any stronger. Which is good for Jim, as he's ready to do some damage! (As a side note, this is fixed in the "Return to" release, but we'll cover that another time).

Second agenda, same as the first. That's a pretty high doom threshold, we've got a pretty good shot at finding the Restricted Hall before this one advances.

We do still have to draw encounter cards; Jim gets Cursed Luck, lowering his stats by 1 (not a problem, as he's presently engaged with a very easy source of skill tests). Rex draws another Locked Door, and since the only location with any clues already has one, it just gets stuck somewhere out of the way.

Time to take on that snake!

quote:

> Jim activates Shrivelling to fight Hunting Horror (6 to 2). Grotesque Statue is used to draw 2 tokens (0 and skull, cancelling the skull). Success! Hunting Horror takes 2 damage and Cursed Luck is discarded.

> Jim activates Shrivelling to fight Hunting Horror (7 to 2). Grotesque Statue is used to draw 2 tokens (-4 and autofail, cancelling the autofail). Success! Hunting Horror is defeated and enters the void.

That's the power of the statue; Jim can guarantee he passes any important test, as long as he's committed enough to it. Even the dreaded autofail can't stop him.

With a spare action, we'll save Rex from needing to reveal all the new locations.

quote:

> Jim activates Museum Halls, spending 2 clues to put Exhibit Hall into play.

That's the last card from the top half of the deck; the Restricted Hall is somewhere in the remaining 3. Rex has the clues to put out another location now, but we can always use more victory points!

quote:

Rex exhausts both copies of Pathfinder to move to the Museum Halls, then to Exhibit Hall (Egyptian Exhibit).

Not too bad - at worst it takes a little longer to clear this one out.

quote:

> Rex investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a 0. Success! Rex discovers 2 clues.

> Rex investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a -4. Rex loses an action.

Disappointing, but hey, he's halfway there. And he drew Dr. Milan in upkeep, so that should make getting the rest even easier!

- Round 7 -

First of 7 doom on the agenda. Jim draws a Crypt Chill; his chaos token is a -4, so he fails the test. This is actually fine, we'll discard the Ritual Candles as I wanted the hand slot freed up anyway.

Rex draws Stalked in the Dark, and since the Hunting Horror is out of play right now, it surges into a new treachery, Ephemeral Exhibits. This is a pretty good test for him as he's already up by 1, but we'd really rather not lose any actions now.

As such, rather than playing his signature card, Rex will commit it for the skill icons putting him 4 up. Aaaaand it ends up not mattering as he draws the elder sign for a +2. Well, a success is a success!

Rex has already taken 4 horror, so before we take any more tests, let's start working on healing that.

quote:

> Jim plays Jim's Trumpet.

As long as Jim stays in the central location, he'll always be connected to Rex and can heal him every time a skull is drawn. We'll see if it pays off.

quote:

>> Jim draws a card and gains a resource.

Now for the rest of those clues.

quote:

> Rex plays Dr. Milan Christopher.

> Rex investigates (6 to 3). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Rex discovers 2 clues and gains a resource.

Rex exhausts Pathfinder to move to the Museum Halls.

And another victory point earned! Before moving to the next round, a surprise shows up in the upkeep phase.

Rex gets hit by his basic weakness, Amnesia. It's not too bad, as he only had 2 cards in hand so he only discards 1. It might have been better to hold on to Search for the Truth earlier, to recover from this, but hindsight is 20/20.

- Round 8 -

2/7 doom.

And Jim really wishes he had a Ward of Protection right now. No cheesing it this time, the Hunting Horror returns, Shadow-spawned attached. It still only has 2 fight and 3 health, but now it'll start getting stronger after dying.

Rex's treachery is much better; Obscuring Fog makes his location to investigate, but he's in the central hall which has no clues, so we're free to ignore it.

As before, Jim has a snake to fight and Rex has locations to explore. We'll change it up this time and have Rex go first; now that the Horror is in play, we're on the clock to find the Restricted Hall while it's still weak.

quote:

Rex exhausts Pathfinder to move to Exhibit Hall (Medusa Exhibit).

An easy, if risky, source of clues. We'll probably come back here for the victory point, but that's not what we're interested in right now.

quote:

> Rex moves to Exhibit Hall (Restricted Hall).

Found it! This should be where the Necronomicon is being stored, and getting into this location is our current objective. Now that we're here, let's advance the act and see what we're dealing with next.

Oh poo poo. The Horror has already claimed its first victim, and it's hungry for more. The monster's not going to sit idly by in the main hall; it leaps over to this room and immediately engages with Rex. This is a problem, as he can't investigate while it's here.

And investigating this room is our final objective. So now we have our goal: get the Horror out of this location, and fully clear it of clues. Shouldn't be too hard!

quote:

Rex plays Shortcut, moving to the Museum Halls.

> Rex evades Hunting Horror; Jim commits Unexpected Courage (5 to 2). Chaos token is a -1. Success!

Jim has a choice - he could fight the Horror, or he could go and grab some clues. It is a bit risky if we leave it alone, since there's a chance it could ready and attack someone. On the other hand, the quicker we investigate, the sooner we get out of here. We're doing pretty well on health and sanity, so we can probably afford to play a little dangerous.

quote:

> Jim moves to Exhibit Hall (Hall of the Dead).

> Jim plays Drawn to the Flame.

Okay, maybe more than a little dangerous. In addition to our objective of investigating the Restricted Hall, we'd like to clear out the rest of the locations for their victory points. You'll remember that the first Exhibit Hall Rex went to got a Locked Door on it before he could finish investigating. Well, Jim has a workaround for that little problem - Drawn to the Flame lets him grab those clues anyway, no investigating necessary! All it costs is one little encounter card...

And it's just an Obscuring Fog. The clues are gathered and the victory point is ours!

quote:

> Jim moves to the Museum Halls.

At the start of the enemy phase, the Hunting Horror's ability triggers - we draw a token from the bag, and if it's a symbol, the Horror readies and will attack someone. Thankfully we draw a -1, so it stays exhausted until upkeep. We'll have it engage with Jim, so he can fight it while Rex keeps working on investigating.

- Round 9 -

3/7 doom. Jim draws a Terror from Beyond, so he has to choose a cardtype to discard. He's currently holding four assets, two events, and just one skill, so he pitches Guts. Rex only has the one card he drew from upkeep and it's an event, so he's good.

Rex's treachery, Beyond the Veil, makes a return from the university. This scenario has been much less aggressive about going through our decks so he's in no danger of decking out. It surges into another copy of Slithering Behind You, so a doom gets added to the Horror. No problem, Jim can kill it right now.

quote:

> Jim activates Shrivelling to fight Hunting Horror (7 to 2). Grotesque Statue is used to draw 2 tokens (-1 and -2, cancelling the -2). Success! Hunting Horror takes 2 damage.

> Jim activates Shrivelling to fight Hunting Horror (7 to 2). Grotesque Statue is used to draw 2 tokens (-2 and +1, cancelling the -2). Success! Hunting Horror is defeated and enters the void. Grotesque Statue is discarded.

That used up the last of the charges on our first copy of Shrivelling, so it's a good thing he's got a spare!

quote:

Rex exhausts Pathfinder to move to Exhibit Hall (Medusa Exhibit).

> Rex investigates (6 to 2). Chaos token is a +1. Success! Rex discovers 2 clues and gains a resource.

That's every location clear except the Restricted Hall. There's one card left in the Exhibit Hall deck, and since we've still got plenty of time, let's go check it out.

quote:

> Rex moves to Exhibit Hall (Athabaskan Exhibit).

Rude! Not even a pity victory point. Well, that's the last location to explore, so next round we should be good to clear out the Restricted Hall and vamoose.

- Round 10 -

4 of 7 doom. Yet again Jim draws Terror from Beyond, chooses skills, and nobody discards any cards. Rex draws another Crypt Chill, and cancels it with the Ward of Protection he just drew in upkeep.

Jim doesn't have any Delves in hand, and while he could draw cards to try and find one, let's just grab the book and go while it's quiet. We've already lost one civilian, no need to risk the life of the security guard we're escorting.

quote:

Rex exhausts both copies of Pathfinder to move to the Museum Halls, then to Exhibit Hall (Restricted Hall).

> Rex investigates (6 to 3). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Rex discovers 2 clues and gains a resource.

> Rex investigates (6 to 3). Chaos token is a +1. Success! Rex discovers a clue.

> Rex investigates (6 to 3). Chaos token is a 0. Success! Rex discovers a clue.

That's the last clue! We've completed the objective, and advance the final act:

And we've done it, the book is safe! We could either destroy it, to ensure that it never falls into the wrong hands, or keep it for ourselves and make use of its secrets. Well, you all voted, and the choice has been made: we're keeping the Necronomicon.

Yay?

quote:

Resolution 2

The Necronomicon is more than just a book; it is a tool. Within its pages is a wealth of information about the forces and creatures you have encountered. Knowing how useful it could be in your endeavors, how could you possibly bring yourself to destroy it? Besides, as long as you keep the book safely in your possession, you will still be foiling those who wish to use it for nefarious purposes.

> In your Campaign Log, record that the investigators took custody of the Necronomicon.

> The investigators have earned The Necronomicon (Olaus Wormius Translation) card. Any one investigator may choose to add The Necronomicon (Olaus Wormius Translation) to his or her deck. This card does not count towards that investigator’s deck size.

> You have given in to the temptation of power. Add 1 Elder Thing chaos token to the chaos bag for the remainder of the campaign.

> Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the victory display.

For a supposedly powerful magical artifact, this item is... kind of underwhelming? It's not that bad; Rex will gladly hold on to it as he's always looking for more boosts to his intellect. But was it worth giving in to temptation? We'll have to wait and see.

And once again the victory display is flush with experience! We'll be sure to put this to good use before the next scenario, The Essex County Express. We're in for the thrill ride of our lives!

quote:

Campaign Log

Investigators
Jim Culver - 5 unspent XP
Rex Murphy - 5 unspent XP

Campaign Notes
- identified the solution
- Professor Warren Rice was kidnapped
- the students were rescued
- Naomi has the investigators' backs
- Dr. Francis Morgan was kidnapped
- the investigators rescued Dr. Armitage
- the investigators took custody of the Necronomicon

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Technically, the Necronomicon itself isn't magical at all, it's just a book full of magic and secrets. It is still a pretty underwhelming card. :v:

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

It's honestly a pretty bad card. It costs two resources and an action to play it. Then another action to use it to 2 resources - now you're only paid for its own cost, and you're down two actions. Using it twice more puts you at 4 resources up - but you would have earned four resources just from taking 'get a resource' action' four times as well. So it's a wash. Finally from here on out you start making a profit - and that's way too long to spend just for some resources.

However, it's actually amazing for another investigator, Daisy Walker, (gameplay mechanics 'spoilers') who can use Tome items as a free action once on her turn. For her, you play it once, pay resources, and two free actions later you're already making a profit.

I happen to be playing Daisy in our campaign, and I grabbed it. :cool:

Rythian fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 21, 2023

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Technically, the Necronomicon itself isn't magical at all, it's just a book full of magic and secrets. It is still a pretty underwhelming card. :v:

It works better for Daisy, the Core Seeker, who (ability spoiler)has four hands, but still pretty underwhelming.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Fat Samurai posted:

It works better for Daisy, the Core Seeker, who (ability spoiler)has four hands, but still pretty underwhelming.

Not only that, but she can use one book per turn for free, so for her the Necronomicon is basically easy money on top of the +1 to Investigation (which she's already very good at, though not as fast as Rex). Presumably she flogs cheap copies to every would-be cultist in Arkham ?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
This game seems surprisingly kind to all numbers of players. In the board game and in Eldrich Horror, things are usually determined by pairs of investigator, i. e. “If you have 1-2 investigators, you need X number of clues. If you have 3-4 investigators, you need 2x number of clues.” It made games with an odd number of investigators much more difficult.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Arkham/Eldritch Horror (the board game) supports 1-8 players, the card game supports only 1-4 so they can afford to be a little more granular in scaling.

Dunwich was the first proper campaign for the card game, and you can see them trying out all sorts of experimental gimmicks for the scenarios, such as an early attempt at a 'stealth mission' for the previous casino scenario and having only one recurring enemy that keeps respawning for the museum scenario. In the case of the museum it wasn't very successful, most people don't like this one because fighters don't really have much to do and the Hunting Horror is mostly just an annoyance that gives no reward for beating it and just keeps getting stronger instead.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Two players seems to be the sweet spot; your fighter shouldn't get overwhelmed by enemies, and your cluever can stay on pace to find enough clues for the act. More players means more clues to find, more encounter cards to draw, and (for some boss monsters) more health. But I agree, I like that it (usually) scales well to the size of your play group.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Part IV: The Essex County Express

Recent events in the Museum have forced you to re-evaluate Armitage’s tale about Dunwich. It cannot be a coincidence—Wilbur Whateley, the Necronomicon, the creature from Dunwich, and the people and creatures who attacked here in Arkham—everything must be connected. You’re certain now where you must head: the lonely and dismal town of Dunwich Village.

You consider telling the Massachusetts State Police what you know, but the negative consequences outweigh the potential gain. Given the nature of your story, they would likely write your stories off as an absurd hoax. Worse, they could lock you up. After all, you were present in an illegal speakeasy, and you also trespassed in the museum. Instead, you decide to head to Dunwich yourself, in order to investigate further.

You pack everything you think you might need and manage to get some rest for the night. In the morning, you head to the train station in Northside and purchase a last-minute express ticket. Dunwich is several hours by train northwest along the Miskatonic River Valley. There is no train station in Dunwich, but you manage to phone one of Armitage’s acquaintances in the small village: a man by the name of Zebulon Whateley who was present during the events several months ago.

Armitage’s notes indicate that the Whateley family is spread across many branches, some decadent and unscrupulous, others “undecayed” or otherwise untouched by nefarious and diabolic rites. According to Armitage, Zebulon’s branch of the family lay somewhere between the decayed and undecayed Whateleys, who knew of the traditions of his ancestors, but was not corrupted by them. He agrees to pick you up at the closest station and drive you into town.

As the train departs from Arkham, you feel the events of the previous night catching up to you, and exhaustion sets in. But before you can safely reach your destination, the train car suddenly rumbles and shakes, startling you out of your reverie. The train loudly skids to a violent halt, and you hear a rattling noise behind you…

quote:

Setup

> Gather all cards from the following encounter sets: The Essex County Express, The Beyond, Striking Fear, Ancient Evils, and Dark Cult.

> Put one of the three Engine Car locations into play at random. Remove the other versions of Engine Car from the game. Then, put six of the eight Train Car locations into play at random, in a straight line to the left of the Engine Car. Remove the remaining two Train Car locations from the game.

> Reveal the leftmost Train Car. Each investigator begins play in that location. (If that location has a ‘forced’ effect that triggers upon entering that location, ignore it.)

> Set all 4 copies of Across Space and Time aside, out of play.

> Based on your difficulty level, add the following chaos token to the chaos bag, for the remainder of the campaign:
- Standard: –3

Tickets, please. All aboard the Essex County Express, the train that puts the "loco" in locomotive. We're finally on our way to the town of Dunwich, but there's been an unexpected delay and our train has come to a stop. Let's take a peek outside and see if we can find out why.

Ah. Well. It's just a little tear in the fabric of reality. Probably nothing to worry about, but just to be safe, we should probably get to the front of the train. With haste. Yes.

Before we start, a quick update on the investigators' decks. Jim picked up another copy of Grotesque Statue to further improve his consistency. His hand slots are getting crowded, so he swapped out a copy of Ritual Candles. As for Rex, he's upgraded his second Strange Solution to the same variant as the first, to help when he gets into a scrap.

We can't leave our current train car while there are clues remaining, so that'll be our first order of business.

- Round 1 -

quote:

> Jim plays Arcane Initiate.

Jim activates Arcane Initiate and draws Shrivelling (3).

> Jim plays Drawn to the Flame.

Rather than having Rex try to investigate this high-shroud location, Jim's going to bypass that test entirely, grab the clues and let him move on ahead. All it costs us is an encounter card, so let's hope it's not too bad:

drat; Rex's lost an action this round. It might be best to stay split up in the future, in case this comes up again. For now, with only two actions Rex is just going to get some assets in play.

quote:

> Rex plays Lone Wolf.

We haven't had the chance to show off Lone Wolf yet, though this might not be the most ideal scenario for it. Both investigators are together now, but if Jim can go first next round and move away, this will start bringing in some solid income.

- Round 2 -

The first doom on the agenda brings us to 2 out of 4, thanks to the Arcane Initiate.

And Jim's treachery, Claws of Steam, means she might not be sticking around much longer. We can activate fast abilities during skill tests, so Jim uses her to dig up a Ward of Protection, but we're past the point that it can be played to cancel the card. Instead, he commits a copy of Unexpected Courage to go 3 up on the test, and draws a skull token from the bag.

This would be a -1, but Jim treats it as a 0 with his ability. Either way, he passes the test so he's free to move.

Rex finds a Wizard of the Order; it could spawn at any of the empty train cars, so we'll have it show up in the next one over. We can't let it stick around.

quote:

> Jim moves to the Train Car to the right. Wizard of the Order engages Jim.

That's quite a few clues, but Rex should be able to gather them pretty quickly. Jim doesn't have cards to pitch for the on-enter effect, so he takes 2 horror (1 goes on the Initiate).

quote:

> Jim activates Shrivelling to attack Wizard of the Order, committing Fearless (7 to 4). Chaos token is a cultist (-1). Success! Wizard of the Order is defeated. Jim takes 1 horror from Shrivelling and heals 1 horror from Fearless.

With how much horror Mystics can take, it's nice to have a bit of free healing!

quote:

Rex gains a resource from Lone Wolf.

> Rex moves to the Passenger Car to the right, taking 2 horror.

> Rex investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a -4.

> Rex investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a 0. Success! Rex discovers 2 clues and gains a resource.

Not too bad, we should be able to move onward next round.

- Round 3 -

3 of 4 doom in play.

Jim draws Dissonant Voices; we've seen this several times before, so he won't be playing any cards this round.

Rex comes upon a Helpless Passenger, which shows up in the train car we just left. Sadly we'll have to leave him behind; not only would it take three actions to move, parley, and move back, but the "Forced" effects on both passenger cars would trigger again. Much too high a cost for the marginal benefit.

Since the passenger has Surge, Rex also draws a copy of Frozen in Fear. If we had Pathfinder we wouldn't have to worry about this, but since we don't, we'll want to be rid of it as soon as possible.

quote:

> Rex investigates, committing Perception (7 to 3). Chaos token is a 0. Success! Rex discovers 2 clues, gains a resource, and draws a card.

> Rex plays Strange Solution (Acidic Ichor).

> Rex draws a card.

At the end of Rex's turn he tests Frozen in Fear, committing Guts. Unfortunately he's only up by 2 and the chaos token is a -3, so he fails the test.

Jim can't play any cards, so he'll just move forward.

quote:

Jim activates Arcane Initiate and draws Ward of Protection.

> Jim moves to the Train Car to the right.

A surprisingly easy source of clues, though that's offset somewhat by the unusual entry cost of a wild icon. This works out in our favor, though, as we can assign both the damage and horror to the Initiate and kill it off to save us a round of play.

quote:

> Jim investigates (3 to 1). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Jim discovers a clue.

> Jim investigates (3 to 1). Chaos token is a +1. Success! Jim discovers a clue.

Pretty smooth sailing so far. Half of the train cars have been cleared of clues and we're making excellent time.

- Round 4 -

Once again we're at 3 of 4 doom, thanks to the Arcane Initiate getting discarded.

Jim draws our favorite treachery, Ancient Evils. Thanks to the Initiate, he's dug up both copies of Ward of Protection, and gladly plays one here to cancel it.

Rex's encounter card is a much bigger threat. The Emergent Monstrosity is a beast, with a big pool of health and a massive damage output. The good news is that it enters play exhausted, and it doesn't have hunter, so we could just leave it behind. It does have a victory point though...

quote:

>> Rex moves to the Passenger Car to the right, taking a damage and a horror.

> Rex plays "I've got a plan!" to fight Emergent Monstrosity, committing Perception and Dr. Milan Christopher (8 to 4). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Emergent Monstrosity takes 4 damage and Rex draws a card.

Rex doesn't often have the chance to play this, but he included it in his deck specifically for situations like this. With all the clues he's picked up along the way, he dealt a tremendous amount of damage, leaving the monster with just one health left for Jim to finish off.

For his Frozen in Fear test Rex commits another copy of Guts, and this time it pays off; the chaos token is a -2 so he barely passes the test.

quote:

> Jim plays Holy Rosary.

> Jim activates Shrivelling to fight Emergent Monstrosity (7 to 4). Chaos token is a skull (0). Success! Jim takes a horror, and Emergent Monstrosity is defeated.

The Sleeping Car is a bit of a reprieve; there's no cost to enter, and with only a single clue we should be in and out pretty quickly. Jim's a little short on cash, but surely we won't need to resort to theft. Right?

- Round 5 -

The first agenda is complete, and advances:

It's coming apart at the seams! The passenger car we started in is destroyed, and the helpless passenger within is defeated, so each investigator takes a horror as a result.

And the second agenda has an even tighter timer. No points for guessing what happens when this advances.

When we draw encounter cards, Jim gets an unpleasant surprise - fresh off defeating one Emergent Monstrosity, another one appears ahead of us. And we don't have quite the same suite of combat tricks to dispatch it so easily. This could really slow us down if we're not careful.

Rex draws another copy of Broken Rails, losing an action (Jim is unaffected as he's in a different train car).

Before we can do anything about that monster, we have to get the clue from Jim's location.

quote:

> Rex plays Pathfinder.

Rex activates Pathfinder to move to the Sleeping Car to the right.

> Rex investigates, committing Mind over Matter (6 to 4). Chaos token is a skull (-2). Success! Rex discovers a clue and gains a resource.

As a reminder, the skull token's modifier is equal to the agenda number. The longer we take, the worse these tokens will get.

Now that the way is clear, Jim can advance and try to put some damage on the Monstrosity.

quote:

> Jim plays Guard Dog.

Hey, it's the first location with a victory point! A bit odd that this car has one, since we need to clear them all of clues anyway. Though this one is a bit unorthodox, requiring us to buy the clues off it. Rex is pretty flush with cash thanks to Lone Wolf and Milan, so he'll be able to handle this one.

quote:

> Jim activates Shrivelling to attack Emergent Monstrosity (7 to 4). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Emergent Monstrosity takes 2 damage.

Jim gets a little damage on the monster; we'll try to finish it off next round before it can attack.

In upkeep, not only does the Monstrosity ready and engage with Jim, but he also draws his weakness! He only has 5 remaining sanity, so a bad draw could be pretty painful here.

Thankfully only one bad token shows up, so he just takes a single damage and horror. Lucky break!

- Round 6 -

First of 3 doom goes on the agenda. Jim's treachery is Dissonant Voices, so he won't be playing any cards this round (not that he would, with a monster in his face).

Rex draws Pushed into the Beyond; Lone Wolf is pretty disposable, so he shuffles it into his deck and discards 3 cards. Unfortunately it's one of the 3 discarded, so he takes 2 horror!

Before we gather those clues, let's try to take care of the monster on Jim.

quote:

Rex activates Pathfinder to move to the Parlor Car to the right.

> Rex activates Strange Solution to attack Emergent Monstrosity, committing Unexpected Courage (8 to 4). Chaos token is a -2. Success! Emergent Monstrosity takes 2 damage.

> Rex activates the Parlor Car, spending 3 resources to discover a clue.

> Rex gains a resource.

The Strange Solution is a powerful attack, but it's not foolproof. At a base strength of 6, it has a good chance of succeeding against the Monstrosity's fight of 4, but we don't have any other cards to commit and I don't want to risk hitting Jim. Instead, let's see if that last Shrivelling charge can take it down.

quote:

> Jim activates Shrivelling to attack Emergent Monstrosity (7 to 4). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Emergent Monstrosity is defeated.

It's good that that thing's off the board, but we're running low on fighting tools. Hopefully that was the last of the tough enemies!

- Round 7 -

Doom's at 2 of 3; these ones go quick!

Jim finds an Acolyte, and rather than spawn it ahead of us where we'd have to fight it, let's take advantage of the fact that the agenda is about to advance, and put it in the leftmost train car. The scenario can take care of our problem for us!

Rex isn't so lucky, and draws a Grappling Horror. It's a lot easier to deal with than the Monstrosities we've been fighting, but it's not really worth our time to fight. Let's get away from this thing and keep moving forward.

quote:

> Rex evades Grappling Horror, committing Manual Dexterity (5 to 2). Chaos token is a skull (-2). Success! Rex draws a card.

> Rex activates the Parlor Car, spending 3 resources to discover a clue.

Rex activates Pathfinder to move to the Train Car to the right.

This is the final car before the engine, and holy crap that's a lot of clues. It's a good thing Rex is here or this could take a while. Once again there's an entry cost to be paid, and while Rex could pitch a few cards, he's sitting on 5 health and can afford to take a little damage.

quote:

> Rex investigates (5 to 1). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Rex discovers 2 clues and gains a resource.

Jim's not sticking around to let that Grappling Horror get ahold of him.

quote:

> Jim moves to the Passenger Car to the right and takes 2 damage.

> Jim plays Grotesque Statue.

> Jim investigates (3 to 1). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Jim discovers a clue.

Halfway through investigating this train car; we should finally make it into the engine car next round.

- Round 8 -

There's more than enough doom in play to advance the second agenda:

And another train car is torn away, taking the Acolyte with it. The train is rapidly shrinking, but we're well ahead of the danger, for now.

The third agenda has a doom threshold of 4, so we should have a bit more time before this one advances. If we're lucky we might even be done with the scenario before then.

For encounter cards, Jim draws Terror from Beyond; his hand is a mixed bag, but he chooses to discards skills and loses Guts. Rex had no skill cards in hand so this works fine for him. Unfortunately, Rex's treachery is Ancient Evils, so a doom goes on this new agenda right away. Better hurry!

quote:

> Rex investigates (5 to 1). Chaos token is the autofail.

> Rex investigates (5 to 1). Chaos token is a cultist (-1). Success! Rex discovers 2 clues and gains a resource.

> Rex investigates (5 to 1). Chaos token is a 0. Success! Rex discovers a clue.

Despite the autofail, that's the last car clear; let's head to the engine and get this train rolling again.

quote:

Rex activates Pathfinder to move to the Engine Car.

This is an awfully high shroud; Rex still hasn't found much in the way of Intellect boosts so it could take a while to get through. But lest we forget, reaching the engine was our objective, so the first act advances at last!

Jesus! Rex makes a split-second decision, and leaps out of the way of the misty monster. His Agility is his better stat of the two, and he can commit several cards to help pass this test.

His effort pays off, and he passes the test, keeping his footing and avoiding any potential trauma.

This is a two-act scenario, and here we have our final objective. We have to get the train moving again, by (what else?) gathering all the clues in the engine.

Jim doesn't have much ability to investigate right now, so he'll prepare to support Rex as best he can.

quote:

> Jim moves to the Engine Car.

> Jim draws a card.

In the enemy phase the Grappling Horror moves into the train car we just left. It's not so scary now that we're done moving and can just hunker down and gather clues.

- Round 9 -

2 of 4 doom in play thanks to Ancient Evils. If we're lucky we can wrap things up this round.

Jim's treachery is Rotting Remains; he's very good at passing Willpower tests, and uses a charge off the Grotesque Statue to draw a +1 (cancelling a -3), easily succeeding. Rex draws yet another Terror from Beyond; his hand only consists of assets, so he calls skills since that's what Jim chose last round, causing Jim to discard the copy of Fearless he drew during upkeep.

Time to start working on the railroad.

quote:

> Rex plays Hyperawareness.

Rex has been flush with cash for much of this scenario, and this gives him something to spend those resources on. As many times as he likes, he can spend a resource to get a boost to a single Intellect or Agility test. And wouldn't you know it, there's some pretty important tests to take right here!

quote:

> Rex investigates, spending 2 resources for +2 skill (7 to 4). Chaos token is a -2. Success! Rex discovers a clue and gains a resource.

> Rex investigates, spending 1 resource for +1 skill (6 to 4). Chaos token is the elder sign (+2). Success! Rex discovers 2 clues.

Just one more clue! But Jim doesn't have the raw Intellect skill to investigate like Rex does; he doesn't have a chance of getting this on his own. It's a good thing he came prepared.

quote:

> Jim plays Rite of Seeking.

We saw this in the first scenario and while we haven't had much use for it since, this is the perfect time to play this spell. Jim has plenty of Willpower, and has the tool to guarantee he passes this crucial test.

quote:

> Jim activates Rite of Seeking to investigate, committing Jim's Trumpet (8 to 4). Grotesque Statue is used to draw 2 tokens (-3 and cultist, cancelling the cultist). Success! Jim discovers a clue.

It's over! The last clue is ours, and we've finally figured out which of these levers and buttons makes the train go. The final act advances:

And the scenario is won!

quote:

Resolution 1

You breathe a sigh of relief as the gate behind the train collapses harmlessly upon itself. The few passengers who survived the ordeal seem unable to comprehend what just happened. One passenger mentions “a pipe bursting in the rear car,” and that quickly becomes the explanation for the innocent and ignorant, those who either cannot or choose not to delve further into the mystery. You, on the other hand, know better… although in hindsight, you wish you didn’t.

> Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the victory display.

But if reality is starting to come apart on our journey, this doesn't bode well for what we'll find at our destination.

Another fine victory display, thanks to those two tough monsters we defeated. Knowing what's coming up next, we'll be glad to have every bit we can get. In Blood on the Altar the investigators finally reach the town of Dunwich, but the horrors they've faced so far pale in comparison to what they find within...

quote:

Campaign Log

Investigators
Rex Murphy - 5 unspent XP

Campaign Notes

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
That was the start of our fail spiral right there.

We drew that 3*I clues car as the first location (which for us was a whopping TWELVE), so between equipment and the time it took to investigate it we had barely moved into the second car before the first got swallowed by the void. From there on out we were always barely out-pacing the wrecks...until we didn't. Daisy was the first to be swallowed by the void thanks to a cultist spawning and flipping the doom track one turn earlier than we expected, then Roland died from one monster too many spawning in his car, which later meant I (Agnes) had the choice of either trying to evade a bunch of mobs and then be swallowed by the void OR take a million attacks of opportunity investigating while engaged and die from a final round of attacks. I did the latter for the sake of the last survivor, Jenny.

Jenny did manage to unbrick the engine in the end, but not before her sister showed up at the other end of the train for one final gently caress you of an unavoidable mental trauma, so that was fun too (the player wanted to wait until the car got swallowed, but since we didn't know whether that was what was going to happen or if the next-to-last agenda was going to spawn a giant monster on her head or something, we shouted at him until he relented).

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Yeah, my group had a really horrible time as well. 12 clues on the very first one, a Wizard and an Acolyte spawned further away so we couldn't kill them, we hit the agenda, and rip two investigators defeated immediately.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Part V: Blood on the Altar

When you finally reach Dunwich, you are greeted by Zebulon Whateley and Earl Sawyer, another man from the village who had met with Dr. Armitage during the incident several months ago. “Things ain’t lookin’ too good here,” Earl tells you. “Some folk up and went missin’ a few nights ago. ‘Dem whippoorwills won’ shut up. Dunno what yer doin’ here, but last time you Arkham folk came ‘round it was bad news. Very bad news.” His eyes blink rapidly, and he coughs and looks away.

“Look, why don’t you rest fer the night an’ look fer whatever it is yer looking fer t’morra,” Zebulon chimes in, putting a wrinkled hand on your shoulder. You begin to protest, but your aching muscles and weary mind won’t allow you to refuse. The elderly man offers to take you in for the night, and drives you to his home at the outskirts of Dunwich village. The town is disheveled and eerie, and you find yourself wishing you hadn’t come here at all. You fall asleep on the ride over and scarcely remember anything else from that night.

When you awaken, you find that Zebulon’s house is abandoned, and there is no sign of the elderly man, or of Mr. Sawyer. Fearing the worst, you head into the village of Dunwich to investigate, hoping to find answers.

quote:

Setup

> Gather all cards from the following encounter sets: Blood on the Altar, Dunwich, Whippoorwills, Nightgaunts, and Ancient Evils.

> Put Village Commons into play. Each investigator begins play in the Village Commons.

> Remove one of the two copies of each other location from the game at random. Then, choose one of the six remaining locations at random, and remove it from the game as well. Put the remaining locations into play.

> Check Campaign Log. Gather the cards for each character who “was kidnapped” according to your Campaign Log. Form a facedown pile of “potential sacrifices,” consisting of each of those cards, along with the Zebulon Whateley card and the Earl Sawyer card.

> Set the following cards aside, out of play: Silas Bishop, The Hidden Chamber, Key to the Chamber, and Powder of Ibn-Ghazi.

> Check Campaign Log. If the investigators were delayed on their way to Dunwich: X

> Check Campaign Log. If the O’Bannion gang has a bone to pick with the investigators: X

> Take the previously set-aside The Hidden Chamber and Key to the Chamber cards, along with the top 3 cards of the encounter deck. Shuffle them and randomly deal 1 card facedown underneath each location in play except Village Commons.

At last, more than halfway through the Dunwich Legacy campaign, we've arrived in the town of Dunwich! It's eerily quiet, and Earl's report of people going missing is concerning, after what we've gone through already. Now our hosts have disappeared, and we've been left to investigate on our own.

We won't get any help from the townsfolk, it seems. It's only been a few hours; Zebulon and Earl can't have gone far, and must still be somewhere around here. There's nothing to do but start poking around; we can only hope we aren't too late.

Time is of the essence in this scenario, and both investigators' decks have upgraded their clue-gathering ability. Jim has upgraded both copies of Rite of Seeking (his clue-gathering spell) to level 2, giving him a Willpower boost when he uses it to investigate. Rex has upgraded both copies of Deduction, giving them an extra Intellect icon and the chance to gather an extra clue. His last experience point was used to upgrade a Magnifying Glass, making it cheaper to play.

No clues to be found here; we'll have to look elsewhere for answers.

- Round 1 -

quote:

> Rex moves to the Schoolhouse.

During setup, we put an encounter card under each of the 5 locations surrounding the town commons. One of those cards is the Hidden Chamber, and our current goal is to find our way inside. Therefore, we'll want to reveal the card here, in case it's the one we're looking for.

quote:

> Rex investigates (5 to 4). Chaos token is a skull (0). Success! Rex discovers a clue and gains a resource.

Skull tokens start out pretty reasonable, but as we explore more and more locations, they'll get more dangerous. For now, Rex easily passes the test, claiming the clue and gaining access to the encounter card hidden below. We technically don't have to draw it right away, but let's grab it now, in case it spawns something that Jim needs to deal with.

Well this is interesting! We haven't found the Hidden Chamber, but given what this is named, odds are good we'll need this to get inside.

Jim hasn't drawn Rite of Seeking yet, so he'll spend this turn getting prepared to fight.

quote:

So far so good, but things are about to heat up.

- Round 2 -

First of 6 doom goes on the agenda.

Jim draws our first enemy of the scenario, the Servant of Many Mouths. This turns out to be a bit of a boon for Jim, who can defeat it to discover a clue without needing to investigate. Thanks, game!

Rex draws the first treachery, Eager for Death. It's not a particuarly difficult test, since he hasn't taken any damage yet. However, the Schoolhouse's effect prevents him from committing any cards, so he has to just take it at 3 to 2. Sadly, the -2 token he draws is enough to fail, so he takes 2 horror (putting one on Milan).

Let's have Rex go first, in case he finds a particularly high-shroud location that we can use the Servant on.

quote:

> Rex moves to House in the Reeds.

That won't be necessary here! Rex should be able to grab these clues in a single action.

quote:

Rex plays Magnifying Glass.

> Rex investigates (6 to 2). Chaos token is a cultist (-2). Success! Rex discovers 2 clues and gains a resource.

> Rex plays Strange Solution (Acidic Ichor).

We'll hold off on revealing the card for now; Jim is too far away to help so we'll want to make sure Rex has all his actions available, just in case.

quote:

> Jim plays Holy Rosary.

> Jim moves to Bishop's Brook. Servant of Many Mouths engages Jim.

A pretty unremarkable location. Jim can get the first clue pretty easily, but might struggle for the second.

quote:

> Jim activates Shrivelling to attack Servant of Many Mouths (7 to 3). Chaos token is a -2. Success! Servant of Many Mouths is defeated, and Jim discovers a clue at Bishop's Brook.

2 locations clear, if we can keep up this pace we'll find the chamber in no time.

- Round 3 -

2 of 6 doom.

Jim's card, Kidnapped, is THE treachery to watch out for in this scenario. If you fail the test, not only do you lose an ally, but it might even get sacrificed, which is exactly as bad as it sounds. For a certain investigator, this might mean a sudden and unpleasant end to the campaign, but we'll cover that in due time. For now, we have a skill test that Jim is pretty good at, and a Guts to commit; he draws a skull token and passes the test.

Rex draws Strange Signs, which is pretty non-threatening for him. At worst, another clue will be placed on his low-shroud location. Regardless, the chaos token ends up being a -1 so he passes anyway.

The first order of business is drawing the card at Rex's location.

And it's our old friend, Ancient Evils! No Ward of Protection in hand, so there goes a round of play.

quote:

> Rex plays Pathfinder.

Rex activates Pathfinder to move to Congregational Church.

Jim would appreciate this action, but Rex has no need for it thanks to Milan's steady source of income.

quote:

> Rex investigates (6 to 2). Chaos token is a -2. Success! Rex discovers 2 clues and gains a resource.

> Rex draws a card.

Again, we'll hold off on revealing this card in case it's an enemy we need to evade or fight.

quote:

>>> Jim draws a card and gains 2 resources.

An :effort: turn for Jim; he's drawn a copy of Rite of Seeking but doesn't have quite enough resources to play it. Next round he should be able to start catching up.

- Round 4 -

Doom's up to 4 of 6 thanks to Ancient Evils. Jim draws his own copy of Eager for Death; at 5 to 2 Willpower he passes the test, even after drawing a -3 token.

Rex encounters a Whippoorwill, making its return from the University. This isn't a good sign, the last thing we need is these annoying things slowing us down.

Again we'll start by drawing the encounter card at Rex's location.

Once again it's a whiff, and it's a painful one. With no matching cards in hand, and a -3 token, Rex takes 3 horror. He's okay for now, but he'll have to be careful from now on.

Since Rex can't enter the Bishop's Brook while Jim is there, let's have Jim go first and grab that other clue.

quote:

> Jim plays Rite of Seeking (2).

> Jim activates Rite of Seeking to investigate (7 to 3). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Jim discovers a clue.

And we'll draw the card now.

Found it! Well, we've found the door, anyway. In order to enter (and progress the act), Rex has to bring the key here first, which means Jim has to get out. This is a pretty awkward spot to be in!

quote:

> Jim moves to Village Commons.

Over to Rex to unlock the door.

quote:

Rex activates Pathfinder to move to Village Commons.

> Rex moves to Bishop's Brook.

Rex attaches Key to the Chamber to The Hidden Chamber.

While we could move inside now, we can be sure that something significant will happen when we do. Let's hold off until next round, so both investigators can be fully prepared for whatever happens.

quote:

> Rex plays Search for the Truth to draw 5 cards.

Thanks to his rapid investigating, Rex has a huge supply of clues to refill his hand with. Now he's got plenty of options to deal with what's to come.

quote:

Rex plays Magnifying Glass (1).

> Rex gains a resource.

In the enemy phase, the Whippoorwill moves to Jim's location. Both investigators have a full hand of cards; we're more than ready to bust down that door next round.

- Round 5 -

5 of 6 doom on the agenda, so it'll advance next round.

Jim finds a monster we haven't encountered since the Midnight Masks, a Hunting Nightgaunt. It's midly threatening, but with his upgraded Shrivelling and high Willpower, it shouldn't be too much trouble to take down.

Rex's treachery, Sordid and Silent, is especially tame. At worst, one of the investigators will take a single horror before this goes away next round.

Jim's up first, so he can take out his foe.

quote:

> Jim activates Shrivelling to attack Hunting Nightgaunt (6 to 3). Chaos token is a skull (0). Success! Hunting Nightgaunt takes 2 damage and Jim takes a horror.

> Jim activates Shrivelling to attack Hunting Nightgaunt, committing Fearless (7 to 3). Chaos token is a -3. Success! Hunting Nightgaunt is defeated and Jim heals a horror.

> Jim gains a resource.

That skull token would've been a -4 were it not for Jim's ability; it's more helpful than you might think! Now, let's open up the door.

quote:

Rex activates Pathfinder to move to The Hidden Chamber.

And the act immediately advances.

I don't know what we expected to find inside the chamber, but it definitely wasn't THIS:

Whatever this creature once was, it's nothing but a mass of flesh now. Clearly we've got to deal with thing before we can leave, one way or another.

We were also told to reveal the last location, the general store:

And these clues, along with all the rest in play, get moved to the Hidden Chamber, for a total of 9 clues placed.

Finally, let's check out the second and final act of the scenario:

Predictably, we have two options: kill the monster, or gather all the clues at its location. Silas is massive, and doesn't have hunter, so it's going to stay put and not attach to any one investigator. Thankfully it doesn't make attacks of opportunity, so Rex is free to investigate, as long as he leaves before the end of his turn to avoid its attack.

quote:

> Rex investigates, committing Deduction (9 to 3). Chaos token is a +1. Success! Rex discovers 4 clues and gains a resource.

> Rex investigates (7 to 3). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Rex discovers a clue.

> Rex investigates (7 to 3). Chaos token is the autofail.

Despite the autofail, we've already gathered more than half the clues, thanks to Rex's ability and an upgraded Deduction. We shouldn't have any trouble grabbing the rest of them next round. But wait, aren't we leaving Rex in the room with Silas?

Nope! Much like Shortcut, this gives Rex a way to get away from danger quickly. (This is the taboo'd version; as printed it lets you move to any revealed location, which is awfully strong for a level 0 card).

Rex takes a horror from Sordid and Silent at the end of the round, but should have more than enough sanity to make it through to the end.

- Round 6 -

The first agenda advances at last.

We might be too late; did the village claim one of our confidants while we were distracted with Silas? We'll find out soon enough.

For now we have a new agenda, again with a threshold of 6. We should be done with this place well before reaching that point.

As for encounter cards, Jim draws Rotting Remains; with full sanity he's not too worried, but he commits his trumpet anyway; that's enough to pass the test after drawing a -3.

Rex's treachery, Unhallowed Country, is an unusual one. While it's in play, Dr. Milan doesn't provide any benefits, meaning Rex's Intellect is lowered and it'll be harder to get the rest of the clues. Well, it would be if he didn't have a hand full of cards to boost his skill...

quote:

Rex activates Magnifying Glass (1) to return it to his hand.

> Rex plays The Necronomicon.

Rex's hands are full, but the upgraded Magnifying Glass has a useful ability to bounce it back into his hand to free up space. But wait, why are we even playing the Necronomicon, when it provides the same skill boost as the Glass? Well, thematically you could say that we're dealing with something of great evil, and the knowledge contained within might help us better understand it. Or it could be due to having played before and knowing what's coming. Either way, we've got clues to find!

quote:

Rex activates Pathfinder to move to The Hidden Chamber.

> Rex investigates, committing Magnifying Glass (7 to 3). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Rex discovers 2 clues.

> Rex investigates, committing Perception (8 to 3). Chaos token is a skull (-4). Success! Rex discovers a clue and draws a card.

Just one clue left to grab, and it's all Jim's.

quote:

>> Jim moves to Bishop's Brook, then to The Hidden Chamber.

> Jim plays Drawn to the Flame and discovers a clue.

One guaranteed clue and our task is complete. The encounter cards don't matter; they end up being an enemy that won't have time to attack, and a treachery that gets Warded. The final act advances...

And the scenario is complete!

quote:

Resolution 2

With the creature that once was Silas lashing out at you from its chains, you have little time to react. Knowing that the Necronomicon might have a spell or incantation that could subdue Silas, you fend off the abomination long enough to find a passage that can help. With no time to spare, you recite the Latin incantation, and find that the words come effortlessly to your tongue, as though recalled from an earlier memory. The creature’s body begins to shrink and melt away as the incantation builds, its cries terrifying and haunting. In the end, all that is left is the disfigured corpse of a man—Silas Bishop. You find a silver pendant emblazoned with an odd constellation tucked into his shirt. You take it with you, hoping to find a use for it.

> In your Campaign Log, record that the investigators restored Silas Bishop.

> In your Campaign Log, under “Sacrificed to Yog‑Sothoth,” record the names of each unique card that is underneath the agenda deck. Each of those cards are removed from all players’ decks and can no longer be included in any players’ decks for the remainder of the campaign.

> Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the victory display. Each investigator earns 2 bonus experience as he or she gains insight into the hidden world of the Mythos.

> Proceed to Interlude II: The Survivors.

Bringing the Necronomicon with us has been a small boon, as we were able to undo whatever enchantment had been placed upon poor Silas. He perished in the end, but it's surely better that he's at peace, rather than being left to relive the horrors that he was forced to endure.

But it seems that Silas wasn't the only victim, for within the hidden chamber we also found the body of Earl Sawyer, one of the men we met when we first arrived in Dunwich. We'd like to think he didn't suffer, but the state of his body tell a different story. Whatever's been going on here, these people have a lot to answer for.

The victory display is awfully weak compared to previous scenarios, so it's good of the game to provide an extra 2 experience on top of the points we got from investigating the Hidden Chamber. There's still plenty of upgrading we'd like to do, as we head towards the end of this campaign.

quote:

Campaign Log

Investigators
Rex Murphy - 4 unspent XP

Campaign Notes
- the investigators restored Silas Bishop

Sacrificed to Yog-Sothoth
Earl Sawyer

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

There's another choice coming up, though this is strictly a narrative one. While asking around town, there's a report of some kind of giant beast or monster that's destroying a nearby farmstead. Several of the townsfolk recognize it as the same kind of creature that Armitage and company faced, when they'd last been here, and people are starting to panic. This is clearly a great threat to the town, and it would be a good idea for the people here to leave quickly and get out of harm's way. But if this is something we need to fight, it would be good to have as much information about it as possible.

Do we convince the townsfolk to evacuate, or calm them down and try to learn more?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

They chose to stay after the Dunwich Horror, they can drat well calm down and tell us more :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Get them the hell out of there!