Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Leave it Behind. Let's limit the amount of collateral on our quest tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Take it obviously. What kind of adventure protagonists would we be if we just left this lying around in the middle of an ongoing crisis?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Take it.

This is an adventure game, and we're adventure game protagonists. It falls to us to tape it to a rat to make a passport photo, I'm sure.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It BELONGS IN A MUSEUM

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

We are already criminals, we have, as far as the law can tell, committed arson, and in the process killed a party of people. gently caress it, take the trinket.

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 13, 2023

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Take it we just burnt down a house with people in it, a little petty theivery isn't going to drat us

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I feel like by the end of the game we’re just going to lose because we’ve lost everyone’s trust and never gained a single ally.

… I’m still voting to Take It though

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
It'd be really funny if the endgame is just us trying to escape from the police as they storm a building we've taken over to burn down and stop an evil ritual or something, but like, they'd never do that.

I mean, what is a cop, like, 3 Fight? Tops? With 2, maybe 3 Health?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

TeeQueue posted:

It'd be really funny if the endgame is just us trying to escape from the police as they storm a building we've taken over to burn down and stop an evil ritual or something, but like, they'd never do that.

I mean, what is a cop, like, 3 Fight? Tops? With 2, maybe 3 Health?

I was going to make a joke about them calling in the SWAT team but then I remembered that we're in the olden times. I'm not sure if that's a thing that exists.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
grab the loot!

Lamanda
Apr 18, 2003

Leave it behind, it's probably unrelated.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Leave it.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Take it!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

I was going to make a joke about them calling in the SWAT team but then I remembered that we're in the olden times. I'm not sure if that's a thing that exists.

First created in the 1960s.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

FBI still exists however (though under a different name), and they do tend to be depicted as very good at the whole "showing up afterwards and arresting/killing any investigators still sane/alive" thing.

don't worry though, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Part III: Echoes of the Past

Your head throbs with a dull ache as you drive through the rainy streets of Arkham toward your next destination. The threat of the Stranger looms in your mind, and you find yourself glancing often at your rear-view mirror, expecting to see the expressionless visage of his mask haunting you. Instead, you see nothing but the misty, starless night, and the deserted road behind you.

Your thoughts once again wander, as they have often in the past few hours, to
The King in Yellow and to the city of Carcosa and its inhabitants. What was the message hidden inside that awful play, the meaning within its madness? A lone detail worms its way to the forefront of your thoughts, one made apparent by the discussions you’d overheard at Ms. Dumaine’s estate—that tonight’s performance of The King in Yellow was not the first Arkham had seen of the foul play. There had been at least one other performance, directed by the same man: Nigel Engram.

There is one place in Arkham where records are often kept of important events occuring within the city: the Historical Society’s manor house in Southside. If there are any records of the previous show of
The King in Yellow, the Historical Society may have held onto them. Perhaps there you will find answers to the questions that burn in your mind.

quote:

Check Campaign Log. If Sebastien Moreau is listed under VIPs Interviewed:

You recall what Sebastien told you during the dinner party. The King in Yellow had come to Arkham several decades ago, long before the Ward Theatre was built. According to him, it isn’t surprising that few people remember—in fact, part of their goal tonight was to bring The King in Yellow to a wider audience. The Historical Society may have kept records pertaining to this earlier production, especially if it was followed by events similar to what has occurred tonight. Perhaps you can find some newspaper clippings or other articles describing what happened in the past.

> After you put Entry Hall into play during setup, place 1 clue per investigator on it. (I actually forgot to do this, though it doesn't make much difference in the end.)

quote:

Setup

> Gather all cards from the following encounter sets: Echoes of the Past, Cult of the Yellow Sign, Delusions, The Midnight Masks, Locked Doors, and Dark Cult.

> Randomly choose one Ground Floor Historical Society location, one Second Floor Historical Society location, and one Third Floor Historical Society location. Remove those locations from the game, without looking at their revealed sides.

> Put the following locations into play: Entry Hall, both copies of Quiet Halls, and the remaining 6 Historical Society locations. Each investigator begins play in the Entry Hall.

> Set the following cards aside, out of play: Hidden Library, Possessed Oathspeaker, Mr. Peabody, The Tattered Cloak, and Clasp of Black Onyx.

> Based on the number of players in the game:
- If there are exactly 3 players in the game, search the gathered encounter sets for 2 copies of Seeker of Carcosa. Spawn each at a different Third Floor Historical Society location.

> Check Campaign Log. If you fled the dinner party: X

> Shuffle the remainder of the encounter cards to build the encounter deck.

Once again we have a huge mansion to pick apart; this is gonna be a long one. Unlike the last few scenarios, this one starts off in the thick of it. Before anything else, let's have a look at the first agenda and act cards:

Gathering 6 clues should be relatively simple, but the agenda is already working against us. The enemies in this scenario are also hunting for clues, and any time they find one, they turn it into a doom! However, we won't be adding any doom to the agenda normally, so this could theoretically last forever if we manage to keep the enemies under control.

Of course, the game knows this, and has already put a few baddies on the board:

These guys are extremely dangerous; not because they're strong fighters, but the fact that they're aloof and their relatively high health means it takes a lot of actions to bring them down. And that's not all - as it says on the cards, Historical Society locations get revealed whenever enemies spawn there, giving them a head start:

We can't waste any time; we've got to get up there and knock them down, pronto.

Finally, let's have a look at the Entry Hall we start in:

Plenty to do, let's get to it!

- Round 1 -

quote:

> Yorick plays Stand Together; he and Sefina each gain 2 resources.

> Yorick plays Ever Vigilant, playing Baseball Bat and Safeguard for 1 resource each.

Half of Yorick's XP from last scenario went into buying two copies of Ever Vigilant, a very handy Guardian event. The resources are nice, but the real value is in the actions this saves - especially in this situation.

quote:

> Yorick moves to Quiet Halls (Second Floor).

Given enough time, it's possible for the enemies to pick up every clue from play before we get enough. This location's ability is there to keep that from making the scenario unwinnable, though I've never seen it come to that.

quote:

Lola starts the scenario in the Seeker role!

> Lola plays Dr. Milan Christopher.

> Lola moves to Quiet Halls (Second Floor).

> Lola moves to Quiet Halls (Third Floor); Yorick activates Safeguard to move with her.

Second verse, same as the first.

quote:

> Sefina plays Lone Wolf.

> Sefina plays Shrivelling.

> Sefina moves to Quiet Halls (Second Floor).

A pretty typical first round; hopefully we can start eliminating those Seekers of Carcosa before they become a real problem.

- Round 2 -

The doom clock is unique in this scenario - 6 doom will advance the agenda, but we don't add any to the agenda card. So right now there's no doom in play, but that'll change quick:

Right off the bat, Mysterious Chanting adds two doom to one of the Seekers of Carcosa (we'll arbitrarily choose the one in the library, to the west). Locked Door will stop us from investigating a location until it's removed; Peabody's Office to the east has a higher shroud, so we don't care about that spot as much. And an Acolyte shows up to add another bit of doom to the board; it'll go down in the Entry Hall, so we don't reveal any more locations that we need to.

And that's not all - at the end of the Mythos Phase, both Seekers will grab a clue from their locations, turning those into doom as well. We've got from no doom in play to 5! Better do something about that.

quote:

> Lola moves to Historical Society (Historical Library) NW; Yorick activates Safeguard to move with her.

Lola plays Magnifying Glass.

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a -2. Success! Lola discovers a clue, and activates Dr. Milan to gain a resource.

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is the elder sign (+2). Success! Lola discovers a clue.

Good start! The ability on the location (take 2 horror to discover an extra clue) isn't "forced", and Lola doesn't have a good source of soak, so we'll pass. Of course, the real reason we moved in was to get Yorick closer to his target:

quote:

> Yorick engages Seeker of Carcosa.

> Yorick activates Baseball Bat to attack Seeker of Carcosa (6 to 2). Chaos token is a +1. Success! Seeker of Carcosa takes 2 damage.

> Yorick activates Baseball Bat to attack Seeker of Carcosa (6 to 2). Chaos token is a skull (-3). Success! Seeker of Carcosa is defeated, and Baseball Bat is discarded.

Skulls have typically been pretty tame tokens, but they can get pretty awful here if we let too much doom build up. Yorick ended up losing his bat, but he's got a replacement ready to play next round.

quote:

Sefina gains a resource from Lone Wolf.

> Sefina plays Spirit Athame.

>> Sefina moves to Quiet Halls (Third Floor), then to Historical Society (Peabody's Office) NE.

With one Seeker down, Sefina's in position and ready to take out the other one.

- Round 3 -

More doom and more damage. The doom from Mysterious Chanting goes on the Seeker in Sefina's location; she should be able to take it down this round, and Yorick can back her up if needed. Meanwhile, a new one shows up; since it spawns in an empty Historical Society location, it'll go into one of the Second Floor spots (we'll see that in a second). Finally, Hunting Shadow is painful for Lola; we don't want to be throwing away clues, but she's only got 6 health and we can't let her die. She'll take the damage this time; Yorick should be able to stick by her and keep her safe, for now.

Here's the room that the new Seeker spawned in. The Historical Museum has a pretty rough ability for our group, with Lola having the highest Intellect at a whopping 3. Dr. Milan can't help here, nor can skill-boosting items or cards in hand. Unless we dig up a Flashlight, we'll want to look elsewhere for clues.

At the end of the Mythos Phase, both Seekers steal a clue, bringing the total doom in play to 6! Thankfully, we're past the point that the game checks for advancing the agenda, but it'll be real bad if we don't fix that this round!

quote:

> Sefina engages Seeker of Carcosa.

> Sefina activates Shrivelling to attack Seeker of Carcosa, activating Spirit Athame for +2 skill value (6 to 2). Chaos token is a -4. Success! Seeker of Carcosa takes 2 damage.

> Sefina activates Shrivelling to attack Seeker of Carcosa (4 to 2). Chaos token is a 0. Success! Seeker of Carcosa is defeated.

Whew! That's a huge load off our back, that Seeker was holding 4 doom that's all gone away. Now Lola's free to investigate in peace.

quote:

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Lola discovers a clue, and activates Dr. Milan to gain a resource.

Lola plays Improvisation, switching roles to Rogue.

> Lola plays Leo De Luca.

Finally Lola's signature card shows up, and what a card it is! Role swapping, resources, and card draw all wrapped up in one neat little package. And what better card to save money on than the Louisiana Lion himself, Leo De Luca. Quite possibly the most famous card in a Rogue's arsenal, this ally has the extremely powerful ability of granting Lola an extra action every round, including this one. Thanks to Charisma, she's allowed to have both allies in play; once she finds a Dark Horse she'll be a real wrecking ball.

quote:

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a -3.

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a skull (-1). Success! Lola discovers a clue.

Lola switches roles to Seeker!

4 clues down, 2 to go. Yorick can't reach any enemies this round, so he'll re-equip himself instead.

quote:

> Yorick plays .18 Derringer (2).

> Yorick plays Safeguard.

> Yorick draws a card.

With two copies of Safeguard in play, he'll be much more mobile and can save his actions for keeping the cultists in check.

During upkeep, who should show up but...

...our old friend, the Man in the Pallid Mask! Since he spawns as far away as possible, he takes one of the Ground Floor rooms, which happens to be another Historical Museum (or perhaps the downstairs level of the museum, since both spots are connected to each other). It's an unfortunate location for him to spawn, since the investigation restriction also applies to his ability, so we'll probably want to take him out by force.

- Round 4 -

There's more treacheries than usual this round, so let's go over them one player at a time.

Sefina first draws False Lead; having no clues, it surges into The Cult's Search. This would take the doom sitting on the last Seeker of Carcosa and the Acolyte from play, and move them onto the agenda, effectively locking them in. While this doesn't directly put more doom in play, it gives us less flexibility when trying to get rid of it, so she'll cancel it with a Painted World copying a Ward of Protection.

Yorick gets a surger of his own; Descent into Madness is harmless, The King's Edict less so. The Seeker in the museum grabs an extra clue and is much tougher to kill for the round. This isn't that bad; we're pretty far away and will need to spend this round just getting close enough to fight.

Lastly, Lola draws Ancient Evils wearing another face. This is a tough choice, but she'll opt to put one of her clues on the Seeker. It sets back our investigation, but keeps doom from stacking up on the agenda, which should keep us above water longer.

There's 5 doom in play now; a dangerous number, but we're safe for the turn unless a bad treachery shows up next round.

quote:

>> Sefina moves to Quiet Halls (Third Floor), then to Quiet Halls (Second Floor).

> Sefina plays Holy Rosary.

quote:

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Lola discovers a clue, and activates Dr. Milan to gain a resource.

Lola switches roles to Mystic!

>>> Lola moves to Quiet Halls (Third Floor), then to Quiet Halls (Second Floor), then to Historical Society (Second Floor) E; Yorick activates Safeguard to move with her twice.

A big movement turn, but the third floor library's run dry so we need to find more clues elsewhere. Turns out the library has a second floor just like the museum, so we should have no problem finding what we need. (I've rearranged the map a little to make the connections clearer).

Yorick's right in the middle of the map now, and he's eager to show off a new trick he learned.

quote:

> Yorick investigates (2 to 3). Chaos token is a skull (-4). Yorick plays "Look what I found!" (2), discovering 2 clues in Historical Society (Historical Library) E.

You might remember "Look what I found" from Wendy's deck in the first campaign; Yorick's spent a little XP buying the upgraded version. This one lets him grab clues from connecting locations, giving him a lot more flexibility and letting him bypass Locked Doors or similar effects. With the clues he just found, we've got the 6 needed to advance the first act:

A hidden library, huh? Well at least we know what we're looking for now, though we don't have any hints as to where it might be. On the bright side, all the locations have been refreshed with more clues, so we should have no problem gathering what we need.

The hunt continues!

quote:

> Yorick moves to Historical Society (Historical Museum) W.

> Yorick draws a card.

Things are looking pretty good; once Yorick takes out the Seeker, the board will be pretty clear and Sefina should be able to pitch in with the clue hunt.

- Round 5 -

They just keep coming! This board is really starting to get crowded. The Acolyte isn't much of a concern, and will go up in Peabody's Office (the one with the Locked Door) since we won't be heading back that way for a while. The Wizard of the Order, meanwhile, needs to die quickly, before it accumulates too much doom. And Hunting Shadow is a real threat for Lola - she doesn't have any clues so she has to take the 2 damage. Her ally Leo can soak up one, but she's just 3 hits away from death.

There's 8 doom in play now - way too much. The Seeker is holding 5 of it, so hopefully Yorick can take it down right now.

quote:

> Yorick engages Seeker of Carcoa.

> Yorick activates .18 Derringer to attack Seeker of Carcosa (6 to 2). Chaos token is a skull (-5). Yorick plays Lucky to get +2 skill value. Success! Seeker of Carcosa takes 2 damage.

> Yorick activates .18 Derringer to attack Seeker of Carcosa (6 to 2). Chaos token is a -2. Success! Seeker of Carcosa is defeated.

Thank goodness. Skulls are scary tokens with that much doom in play, so it was lucky that Yorick had, well, Lucky! With that dealt with, the other two investigators have a moment to grab more clues.

quote:

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a cultist (-2). Success! Lola discovers a clue, and activates Dr. Milan to gain a resource.

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is the elder sign (+2). Success! Lola discovers a clue, and switches roles to Mystic.

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a cultist (-2). Success! Lola discovers a clue.

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is the autofail.

Halfway done already! Sefina's got a few options here - she could go and take out the Wizard of the Order, but she only has two charges of Shrivelling left and would prefer to save them. Instead, she's going to grab some clues that only she can get:

quote:

> Sefina moves to Historical Society (Historical Museum) W.

> Sefina plays Clairvoyance.

> Sefina activates Clairvoyance to investigate, activating Spirit Athame for +2 skill value (7 to 2). Chaos token is a -2. Success! Sefina discovers 2 clues.

Clairvoyance is a powerful tool in a Mystic's arsenal. Like Jim's Rite of Seeking, this lets Sefina investigate using her Willpower instead of her Intellect. Remember that the location prevents her from boosting her Intellect, but this sidesteps that neatly!

Naturally, since things are going pretty well, the game throws us a curveball and has another weakness show up:

The Thing That Follows is Lola's random basic weakness, and as weaknesses go, it's pretty tame. It spawns far away from her (the first floor museum, with the Man in the Pallid Mask, in this case) and will slowly hunt her down. The important thing to note is the prey instruction - "Bearer only." This means that it will only pay attention to Lola, and will completely ignore other investigators, not even engaging them automatically. It getting shuffled back into her deck can be a bit annoying, but it should be pretty easy to stay away from on a map this large.

- Round 6 -

This is getting silly. Including the two weaknesses, there's 7 enemies on the board now! And the Agent of the King is relatively dangerous; it's a good thing that Sefina and Yorick are grouped up, they should be able to take it down together. The Fanatic runs off to Peabody's office on the third floor; we'll probably have to head up there eventually to clear the place out. At least Yorick gets the damage treachery this time; he's got plenty of health to spare.

Before we start fighting these enemies, let's have Lola grab a clue. We're only one away from advancing the Act and it'd be a good idea to know what we're doing next:

quote:

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a -2. Success! Lola discovers a clue.

That's 6, time to advance:

At last, someone who can help! Mr. Peabody, the Curator, is a very important asset, so we've got to have someone look after him. Sefina has two ally slots thanks to Charisma, so she'll keep an eye on the old man.

We've also been instructed to put the Hidden Library into play, but oddly enough it doesn't have any connections. It's in the building somewhere, but how are we supposed to get there?

The final act provides the last piece of the puzzle. Locations with the Passageway trait are connected, and we've seen several of those already (Mr. Peabody's office has it, as do both floors of the library). The Hidden Library doesn't have that trait, but that's where Peabody comes in. His ability will let us give the Passageway trait to the Hidden Library, giving us access. Now it's just a matter of gathering the 9 (!) clues we need, moving in, and finishing the scenario.

quote:

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a skull (-2). Success! Lola discovers a clue.

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is the autofail.

> Lola draws a card.

Meanwhile, Sefina and Yorick have a bunch of baddies to deal with. Yorick's going to try to take out the cultist on Sefina in one shot, as he's only got one bullet left in the chamber:

quote:

> Yorick activates .18 Derringer to attack Agent of the King, committing Vicious Blow (2) and Overpower (10 to 4). Chaos token is a skull (-2). Success! Agent of the King takes 4 damage and is defeated. Yorick draws a card and plays Baseball Bat from his discard pile, discarding .18 Derringer from play.

> Yorick moves to Historical Society (Historical Museum) SW.

> Yorick gains a resource.

Upgraded Vicious Blow is fantastic - between that and the weapon, he knocked out his target, and got to replace his weapon as a bonus. As for Sefina, she's going to need to get to a Passageway room eventually, and the Wizard of the Order is starting to build up a decent amount of doom, so let's take care of him on the way.

quote:

Sefina plays Elusive, moving to Quiet Halls (Second Floor).

> Sefina moves to Quiet Halls (Third Floor).

> Sefina activates Shrivelling to attack Wizard of the Order, activating Spirit Athame for +2 skill value and committing Guts (9 to 4). Chaos token is a skull (-2). Success! Wizard of the Order is defeated. Sefina takes a horror on Holy Rosary and draws a card.

> Sefina moves to Historical Society (Historical Library) NE.

The Thing That Follows marches up a floor, and we march on to the next round.

- Round 7 -

Well crap. Ignoring the ever-growing swarm of enemies, the real trouble is the card in between them. Counting the Acolyte that just spawned, there's 4 doom in play now, and we don't have any cards in hand to cancel out this treachery.

That's 4 doom that just got moved to the agenda - not enough to advance, but it's bound to happen soon. At least the new Fanatic that Lola draws holds on to its doom. It'll go hang out in the increasingly crowded office of Mr. Peabody, out of sight and out of mind.

Right, our clock just got a lot tighter. Let's go and check out the Hidden Library, now that Sefina's in position to get there:

quote:

> Sefina activates Mr. Peabody. The Hidden Library gets -1 shroud and gains the Passageway trait.

> Sefina moves to the Hidden Library.

Ooh, victory points! And look, it's got exactly the right number of clues to finish the scenario! All right, new plan: grab all of these clues, stat.

quote:

> Sefina activates Clairvoyance to investigate, activating Spirit Athame for +2 skill value (7 to 3). Chaos token is a 0. Success! Sefina discovers 2 clues and takes a horror on Mr. Peabody.

Lola's getting in on the action, too.

quote:

> Lola moves to the Hidden Library.

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a -2. Success! Lola discovers a clue.

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is the elder sign (+2). Success! Lola discovers a clue.

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a cultist (-2). Success! Lola discovers a clue.

Nice, more than halfway done already. Yorick can't help us investigate, but that's fine - he's got his eyes on a different target.

quote:

> Yorick engages The Man in the Pallid Mask.

> Yorick activates Baseball Bat to fight The Man in the Pallid Mask, committing Guard Dog (7 to 4). Chaos token is the autofail. Baseball Bat is discarded from play.

> Yorick plays .18 Derringer (2). The Man in the Pallid Mask makes an attack of opportunity, dealing 1 horror to Yorick.

Ouch, awful luck there. He takes another hit in the enemy phase as well, dropping his sanity to 4. The only bright spot is that he had another weapon in his hand, so hopefully he can finish the job next round.

- Round 8 -

The hidden card Sefina draws is too late to matter at this point, but Yorick's card, Led Astray, is another story. Since he doesn't have any clues, he must choose the second option, and that's just enough doom to advance the agenda!

For the agenda deck, this is surprisingly tame. I guess you get a freebie the first time this advances, in case you haven't managed to get the spawns under control. Still, all those cultists we defeated are back in the deck, so we've got to finish quickly before the doom starts piling up once again.

The second agenda is identical to the first, with a threshold of 6 for our 3-player party. And the treachery Lola draws, The King's Edit, threatens to accelerate that dramatically, with all those cultists in Peabody's office ready to snap up some clues and turn them into doom. Thankfully, she's holding onto a Ward of Protection to cancel this card, so we're good for the time being.

Yorick's up for round 2!

quote:

> Yorick activates .18 Derringer to attack The Man in the Pallid Mask (6 to 4). Chaos token is a -2. Success! The Man in the Pallid Mask takes 2 damage.

> Yorick activates .18 Derringer to attack The Man in the Pallid Mask (6 to 4). Chaos token is a skull (0). Success! The Man in the Pallid Mask is defeated.

Tick!

Only 4 clues left in the library; should be no problem for our intrepid investigators.

quote:

> Sefina activates Mr. Peabody. The Hidden Library gets -1 shroud and gains the Passageway trait.

> Sefina activates Clairvoyance to investigate, activating Spirit Athame for +2 skill value (7 to 3). Chaos token is a -2. Success! Sefina discovers 2 clues.

> Sefina draws Ward of Protection (2) from her reserve.

Lola's up last; let's finish the job and get outta here.

quote:

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Lola discovers a clue.

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a -3.

> Lola investigates (5 to 3). Chaos token is a 0. Success! Lola discovers a clue.

That's it, we're done!

Per the thread's vote, we'll be taking this with us! What's a little larceny after the arson we committed earlier?

quote:

Resolution 1

There are no coincidences when it comes to The King in Yellow. There is no doubt in your mind that the object you’ve found is important. You decide to take it with you before continuing your investigation. The last record you find related to the original production of The King in Yellow is a psychiatric evaluation of one Daniel Chesterfield, a stagehand who lost his wits after the final show. It seems he was admitted to the asylum after the production ended. Perhaps he’s still there…

> In your Campaign Log, record that you took the onyx clasp. Mark one Conviction in your Campaign Log. For the remainder of the campaign, one investigator must include the Clasp of Black Onyx weakness in their deck. This card does not count toward that investigator’s deck size.

> Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the victory display.

> If Sebastien Moreau (Savage Hysteria) is in the victory display, record his name in your Campaign Log, under “VIPs Slain.”

> Remove all cultist, tablet, and elder thing tokens from the chaos bag. Then, add 2 cultist tokens to the chaos bag.

Welp, our curiosity has rewarded us with a new weakness. I hope it was worth it!

As weaknesses go, it's not that bad, though Yorick definitely doesn't have the resources to spare. Lola will hold on to it; she typically wants to spend all her resources anyway, and Sefina has plenty of other cards she wants to play.

A pretty poor victory display this time (though Lola does get 2 extra thanks to her Obol). We haven't had much luck finding Delves this campaign so we're a little poorer than we could otherwise be. Still, plenty of time to catch up!

Next time, we pay a visit to Arkham Asylum in search of someone who worked on the last performance of The King in Yellow. Sanity is in short supply in The Unspeakable Oath...

quote:

Campaign Log

Sefina Rousseau: 3 unspent XP
William Yorick: 3 unspent XP
Lola Hayes: 7 unspent XP

- you chose not to go to the police
- the Stranger is on to you
- you slayed the monsters at the dinner party
- you took the onyx clasp

Conviction: II
Doubt: I

Chasing the Stranger: IIII

VIPs Interviewed:
Constance Dumaine
Ishimaru Haruko
Sebastien Moreau
Ashleigh Clarke

VIPs Slain:
Constance Dumaine
Ishimaru Haruko
Sebastien Moreau
Ashleigh Clarke
Jordan Perry

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 16, 2023

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

This was a unique one, with how the game treated doom and clues.

That weakness doesn't look too bad, and if we're getting the penalty of a weakness for taking it, there's probably some reward later on for having it with us.

The mention of Sebastian Moreau being in the victory display is interesting. I guess he would have shown up as a boss monster here if we hadn't already killed him?

Agent of the King says when it's defeated, "take control of all its clues". Does that mean taking its Doom tokens and flipping them back to clues and keeping them as clues? Or is that text only for if that monster shows up in other scenarios where monsters can have actual clues-as-clues on them?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Is "Look What I Found" changed from the card image you posted? Because

quote:

> Yorick investigates (2 to 3). Chaos token is a skull (-4). Yorick plays "Look what I found!" (2), discovering 2 clues in Historical Society (Historical Library) E.

But the card says you have to fail by 3 or less. 2 to 7 = failure by 5.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

You can never go below zero. The chaos token doesn't increase the shroud value, it decreases your result. So the end result isn't 2 vs 7, it's 0 vs 3, making it a failure of 3 or less (3).

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Rythian posted:

You can never go below zero. The chaos token doesn't increase the shroud value, it decreases your result. So the end result isn't 2 vs 7, it's 0 vs 3, making it a failure of 3 or less (3).

Exactly! That's why items like Flashlight are more useful than they seem, since they reduce the shroud value instead of increasing your skill. If you use a Flashlight in a location with a shroud of 2, then you're guaranteed to succeed (barring the autofail) even if you're playing on expert and draw a -8 token.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Agent of the King says when it's defeated, "take control of all its clues". Does that mean taking its Doom tokens and flipping them back to clues and keeping them as clues? Or is that text only for if that monster shows up in other scenarios where monsters can have actual clues-as-clues on them?

The latter. In this scenario, the Agent's not holding clues, it's holding doom. So its ability doesn't do anything here.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

So the cultists didn't drop clues on defeat?

Man, I'm sure this obviously cursed artifact won't come back to bite us. On the other hand, the cultists were almost certainly looking for it too.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Veloxyll posted:

So the cultists didn't drop clues on defeat?

Man, I'm sure this obviously cursed artifact won't come back to bite us. On the other hand, the cultists were almost certainly looking for it too.

it's obviously cursed and is biting us right now. It's the artifacts that aren't obviously cursed that you have to watch out for.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Agreed. This thing is going to show up down the line and save our rear end, to make up for the hideous curses.

Now if it was a beneficial item? Then we'd be proper doomed.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

TeeQueue posted:

Agreed. This thing is going to show up down the line and save our rear end, to make up for the hideous curses.

I can only hope it's in a way similar to the Twelfth apostle saving the manager's rear end from a smol angry bean in Lobotomy Corporation, haha.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Part IV: The Unspeakable Oath

Over the course of the next few days, you delve into the evidence you’ve collected, hoping to find any information regarding Daniel Chesterfield, a stagehand during the previous production of The King in Yellow. As far as you can tell, he is the only surviving member of that production’s cast and crew. The rest of them—that is, those for whom you can find any records at all—disappeared or died soon after opening night in a variety of fashions connected only by their morbidness. Freak accidents. Suicides. Vanishings.

It would seem that Daniel is your only lead, if you are to investigate further. According to the records you found, he was admitted to Arkham Asylum many years ago. All documentation about Daniel’s treatment seems to end there. You’re unsure if he’s even still alive. Perhaps he was cured and released. You were hoping to avoid this, but there seems to be only one way to find out. You collect your belongings and head downtown, towards Arkham Asylum.

As you enter the asylum, you stop to speak with the receptionist, though you feel your body urged to step deeper into the clutches of this madhouse. He gives you a confused expression as you tell him of
The King in Yellow and of Daniel. But at your insistence, he pores through his file cabinet, eventually pulling out a stark white folder. Inside is a wealth of information about the patients admitted to the asylum—medical records, psychiatric evaluations, and the like. You recognize a few of the faces as he flips through the pages. “Daniel… Daniel Chesterfield, yes? He is admitted under the special care of Doctor Mintz. But you can’t see him; his level is restricted to staff only.” You argue and insist to be let into the patient wing, knowing that Daniel must hold the key to understanding what is really going on.

The receptionist gives a pitying smile and relents, nodding to the security guards nearby. “Oh, of course, of course,” he says with all the honesty of a street peddler. “I will schedule a meeting for you with Doctor Mintz so you can speak with him about Daniel. These gentlemen will see you in.” Relieved that you will soon get the answers you seek, you are escorted into the patient wing of Arkham Asylum…

quote:

Check Campaign Log. If Constance Dumaine is listed under VIPs Interviewed:

You recall what Constance had told you when you spoke with her during her hellish dinner party. She and the other members of the cast and crew had been told by the director, Nigel Engram, to take some kind of oath. At first, she’d written it off as the whim of an eccentric artist; something Mr. Engram did as a strange formality to unite and strengthen the bonds of the cast and crew. And to his credit, she claimed that it had worked; ever since they’d taken his strange oath, she and the other members of the troupe felt much more confident and full of spirit. Perhaps Daniel had a similar experience during the last production of The King in Yellow. You must speak with him about this.

> Each investigator places the top card of his or her deck facedown in his or her play area, without looking at it. Treat this card as a Courage asset with 0 cost, no icons, and 2 sanity. Discard this card if it leaves play for any reason.

quote:

Setup

> Gather all cards from the following encounter sets: The Unspeakable Oath, Hastur’s Gift, Inhabitants of Carcosa, Delusions, Decay & Filth, and Agents of Hastur.

> Set each Monster enemy among the gathered encounter sets aside, in a separate pile.

> Set each Lunatic enemy among the gathered encounter sets aside, in a separate pile.

> Randomly choose 1 copy of Asylum Halls (Eastern Patient Wing) and 1 copy of Asylum Halls (Western Patient Wing). Remove those copies from the game. Put the remaining Asylum Halls into play. Each investigator begins play at an Asylum Halls of their choice.

> Set the following cards aside, out of play: Daniel Chesterfield, and each copy of Patient Confinement.

> Put the following locations into play: Mess Hall, Kitchen, Yard, Garden, Infirmary, and Basement Hall.

> Based on your difficulty level, add the following chaos token to the chaos bag, for the remainder of the campaign:
- Standard: -3

> Check Campaign Log. Depending on the following circumstances, a different version of Act 2 should be used in this scenario. Each other version of Act 2 is removed from the game.
- If you took the onyx clasp, use Act 2—”The Really Bad Ones” (v. I)

> Shuffle the remainder of the encounter cards to build the encounter deck.

Getting inside the asylum was the easy part. This is a sprawling facility, and many of the locations are locked off to us for the time being. The receptionist said that Daniel's in a staff-only area, so our first objective is to find a way past those locked doors.

9 clues should do it, but look at that agenda card! We're back to normal rules for doom, so it'll be advancing in 2 rounds. Barely any time to get set up and start looking!

Our investigators have split up in order to cover more ground. Unfortunately, neither of the starting locations have any clues, so we'll need to get moving right away.

- Round 1 -

quote:

> Yorick draws a card.

> Yorick plays Stand Together; he and Lola each gain 2 resources.

> Yorick plays Ever Vigilant, playing .18 Derringer (2), Safeguard, and Guard Dog for a total of 4 resources.

Yorick's turn is the easiest, as he just need to get some assets in play to help fight the inevitable baddies that'll show up. He's only had Ever Vigilant for two scenarios but I'm starting to love it more and more.

quote:

Lola starts the scenario in the Rogue role!

> Lola plays Leo De Luca.

> Lola moves to the Infirmary; Yorick activates Safeguard to move with her.

I guess this location can be useful in an emergency, but it doesn't recover enough to be worth the time spent coming here. That victory point is appealing, though!

quote:

> Lola plays Emergency Cache, gaining 3 resources.

> Lola plays Flashlight.

Sefina doesn't have any investigation tools in her opening hand, so she'll just do a bit of setup of her own.

quote:

> Sefina plays Lone Wolf.

> Sefina plays Dario El-Amin.

> Sefina activates Dario El-Amin to gain 2 resources.

Between Lone Wolf and Dario's ability, she should be able to get up to that 10 resource threshold pretty quickly, which will give a substantial boon to her spells and investigations.

- Round 2 -

One doom on the agenda, one to go.

Corrosion makes its return, costing Sefina a card. She doesn't have any items in play, but does have a Spirit Athame dagger in hand, so it's got to go. Meanwhile, Yorick gets stuck with a Straitjacket, which forces his gun back into his hand. His entire turn this round has gotta be getting rid of this thing (not that he was doing much otherwise). Lola's got a bit of a rough skill test - the Infirmary has a shroud of 3, so she's taking this at even odds, and neither player has any cards worth committing. Thankfully she gets lucky and pulls a 0 token, so it works out!

Yorick and Lola have pretty simple turns, so they'll go first.

quote:

>> Yorick discards Straitjacket from his threat area.

> Yorick plays .18 Derringer (2).

Back in business.

quote:

Lola switches roles to Survivor!

> Lola plays Dark Horse (she has 0 resources, so all stats are +1).

> Lola activates Flashlight to investigate (4 to 1). Chaos token is a +1. Success! Lola discovers a clue.

> Lola activates Flashlight to investigate (4 to 1). Chaos token is a -3. Success! Lola discovers a clue.

> Lola activates Flashlight to investigate (4 to 1). Chaos token is a -3. Success! Lola discovers a clue.

Her Flashlight's out of juice, but it was worth it - all the clues in the Infirmary have been picked up, earning us a victory point. Sefina could go exploring as well, but she hasn't played any spells left and will need something to defend herself.

quote:

> Sefina plays Arcane Initiate.

Sefina activates Arcane Initiate, drawing Ward of Protection (2).

> Sefina activates Dario El-Amin to gain 2 resources.

> Sefina plays Shrivelling.

This is the ideal time to play an Arcane Initiate, since the agenda's about to advance. The Painted World is a spell, so it can be tutored for, but a Ward is just as good!

Since Lola has Dark Horse, she won't be gaining any resources during upkeep, so she can keep the bonus stats.

- Round 3 -

The first agenda is done:

The encounter deck has just become much more threatening. It starts out pretty light on monsters, but we've just added 7 more enemy cards in, which should help keep Yorick occupied. We've also pulled out a bigger monster, which is just set to the side for now but will surely make trouble for us later.

7 doom on the second agenda, a much more forgiving threshold. There's three cards in this deck, which should hopefully be plenty of time.

Already the new targets are starting to show themselves. Yorick and Lola each drew a Mad Patient, who spawn in the (currently empty) eastern wing of the Asylum Halls. They're not very dangerous and Yorick should be able to take them both out without too much hassle. Meanwhile, Sefina gets another copy of Walls Closing In, which she's much more comfortable with and easily passes.

Since there's a few enemies on the board now, we'll want to plan this round out to be as efficient as possible. Sefina's up first, so she can take advantage of Lone Wolf and start on the clue hunt.

quote:

Sefina activates Arcane Initiate, but doesn't find a spell.

> Sefina moves to the Mess Hall.

That's a lot of clues, and a low shroud, AND a victory point! The forced effect is pretty awful though, so slowly picking these up one by one isn't the best idea. Good thing she's got another option.

quote:

> Sefina plays Drawn to the Flame, drawing Gift of Madness (Pity) from the encounter deck and discovering 2 clues.

Drawn to the Flame lets her grab 2 clues, and since it's not an investigation, she doesn't have to discard any cards. The downside, of course, is the encounter card, but this one's not too bad. Her skill at evading is pretty good and Yorick should be able to run over and deal with anything she can't handle.

She's got another copy of Drawn to the Flame in her reserve and could copy it with a Painted World, but drawing an encounter card with her last action is just asking for trouble. Instead she just takes 2 resources with Dario, and passes the turn over to Yorick.

quote:

> Yorick moves to Asylum Halls (Eastern Patient Wing). Both Mad Patients engage Yorick.

> Yorick activates .18 Derringer to attack Mad Patient (6 to 2). Chaos token is a -3. Success! Mad Patient is defeated, and Yorick takes a horror on his Courage asset.

> Yorick moves to Asylum Halls (Western Patient Wing). Mad Patient makes an attack of opportunity, dealing 1 damage to Guard Dog, which deals 1 damage to Mad Patient.

While Yorick probably could've taken out the other Mad Patient with an attack, that's another point of horror he'd take (and there's always the risk of the autofail). Instead, he's making use of his Guard Dog to take down the threat for him, and move into a more advantageous spot.

Where he'll get a free card draw for his trouble!

Lola's turn, meanwhile, isn't... quite as exciting.

quote:

Lola switches roles to Guardian!

>>> Lola moves to Asylum Halls (Eastern Patient Wing), then to Asylum Halls (Western Patient Wing), then to the Yard.

No victory point this time, but it's incredibly easy to investigate here. That's a curious ability on the location; it's hard to see what benefit inciting a fight will have, but it's worth trying!

quote:

> Lola investigates (4 to 1). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Lola discovers a clue.

That's another 3 clues our group has collected this round; just 3 more until we can advance the first act.

Before the next round starts, a few things of interest happen. The Mad Patient on Yorick attacks again, getting swiped back at by the Guard Dog, defeating it. The other thing is...

Lola draws one of her weaknesses! Thankfully, she's in Guardian form right now, so it has no effect. Losing Leo or Dark Horse would've been a huge hit, so it's a good thing they're passive effects, and she's free to take other roles to protect them.

- Round 4 -

First of 7 doom on the agenda.

Roaches in the mess hall! That's going down on the next health inspection. The good news is the location has a low shroud, so they'll be easy to stamp out (and Sefina's free to attack it, since it's not a "lunatic"). Yorick gets his own copy of Walls Closing In - with no useful cards to commit, he takes the test at even odds, and pulls a cultist token.

Cultists are actually really good for us right now, as none of the investigators have any horror on them, so they're 0's. If things drag on and we start building up horror, they can get really bad, so that's one more reason to move quickly.

Anyway, Lola's first treachery surges into a hidden card of her own. Whispers in Your Head (Anxiety) is pretty bad for her, as her once-per-round role switch is a free ability, which this card blocks. She can still switch by spending an action, but it's probably worth using two to get rid of this entirely.

Might as well do it now!

quote:

>> Lola discards Whispers in Your Head (Anxiety).

> Lola investigates (4 to 1). Chaos token is a skull (-1). Success! Lola discovers a clue.

> Lola investigates (4 to 1). Chaos token is a cultist (0). Success! Lola discovers a clue.

Only one clue left to go; Sefina can grab that easily, but has an infestation to take care of first.

quote:

> Sefina activates Shrivelling to attack Roach Swarm, committing Guts (6 to 2). Chaos token is a 0. Success! Roach Swarm is defeated, and Sefina draws a card.

> Sefina plays The Painted World, copying Drawn to the Flame. Sefina draws Whispers in Your Head (Doubt) and discovers 2 clues.

Well that's an unfortunate pull! And she only has one action left, so she can't get rid of it this turn. Let's hope we don't want to Ward anything next round.

Ah well, that's a problem for the future. For now, we have more than enough clues to advance the act, so let's do it:

So many options! We have three chances to get the keys for free before we have to take them by force. We'll try the "nice" option first and have Lola attempt to charm her. With a Perception committed she's at +2, and that's enough to pass the test when he pulls a -1 token. We've got our way in!

Now we're free to explore the rest of the asylum and continue our search for Daniel. We're told he's in the basement, but we've also unlocked the Kitchen and Garden locations, and it may be worth investigating those as well for clues.

For the time being, Sefina finishes her turn by gaining 2 more resources (this brings her up to 10, giving her a boost to her Willpower and Intellect).

Yorick could go running off to the basement alone, but he's probably better served sticking near his allies in case more enemies show up.

quote:

> Yorick plays Cherished Keepsake.

> Yorick draws a card.

> Yorick plays Safeguard.

The double Safeguard will make Yorick much more capable of protecting his allies as they explore the map. All three investigators are in good shape to handle any threats the encounter deck throws at us.

- Round 5 -

2/7 doom.

Sefina comes across a Maniac; the 1 damage is no big deal as her ally Dario can soak it, and it's very easy to evade, though she's not able to attack it due to her Gift of Madness. Yorick's hidden card will be a problem that we'll want to get rid of, but it's not super urgent, especially with Safeguard letting him move outside of his own turn.

Meanwhile, Lola draws not one, but two copies of Descent into Madness, both of which bounce harmlessly off her. Her new hidden card isn't a problem right now as she doesn't have any skill cards in hand, but it'll need to go sooner or later.

Sefina's up first; as much as she'd love to clean up the rest of the clues in the Mess Hall, that hidden card has got to go.

quote:

> Sefina evades Maniac (4 to 1). Chaos token is a 0. Success! Maniac is exhausted.

>> Sefina discards Whispers in Your Head (Doubt).

Since Sefina can't kill the Maniac, Yorick will tag in to assist.

quote:

> Yorick moves to the Mess Hall.

> Yorick activates .18 Derringer to attack Maniac (6 to 3). Chaos token is a cultist (0). Success! Maniac takes 2 damage.

> Yorick investigates (2 to 2). Chaos token is a cultist (0). Success! Yorick discovers a clue and discards a card.

That success on the investigation was actually bad luck - I was hoping he'd fail so he could play "Look what I found" and grab both clues. Not a big deal, there's just one clue left and a regular investigate action can get it now.

quote:

> Lola activates the Yard, taking 1 damage on Leo De Luca and remembering that she "incited a fight amongst the patients."

Lola plays Improvisation, switching roles to Survivor and drawing a card.

> Lola plays Peter Sylvestre for free.

It's still not clear what reason we'd have to take the action on the Yard, but we won't know unless we try. Meanwhile, Lola's signature card comes in handy again, giving her another ally to protect her sanity and give her even more boosts to her stats (her statline is a very impressive 5/4/4/5, which is made even better by her having 4 actions per turn). Now, she could start heading down to the basement, but the Garden is right here and we might as well check it out...

quote:

> Lola moves to the Garden.

Not the easiest place to investigate, but we've got another location with something to remember. Starting to see a pattern here.

quote:

> Lola investigates (4 to 3). Chaos token is a skull (-1). Success! Lola discovers a clue.

Lola switches roles to Guardian!

Another round down; when the Maniac readies, it engages with Yorick. This triggers its ability again, dealing the final point of damage needed to defeat it.

Yorick's basic weakness also shows up now; it feels like he and Sefina are spending more actions dealing with treacheries than they are making progress towards the objective!

- Round 6 -

3/7 doom.

Our fifth batch of treacheries are barely worth mentioning. Straitjacket, unlike with Yorick, is completely harmless for Sefina, as she doesn't have any items in her hand or body slots. Unless she draws her other Spirit Athame, there's no reason to waste time getting rid of this. The Young Psychopath that shows up with Yorick is equally harmless; he's got plenty of sanity soak between his Cherished Keepsake and the Courage asset he got during setup. Ooze and Filth does make it more difficult to investigate, but as we've seen with Sefina, there's ways around that little problem.

quote:

> Lola plays Drawn to the Flame, drawing a Roach Swarm from the encounter deck and discovering 2 clues.

> Lola evades Roach Swarm (5 to 3). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Roach Swarm is exhausted.

> Lola activates the Garden, testing Agility (5 to 2). Chaos token is a -4.

> Lola activates the Garden, testing Agility (5 to 2). Chaos token is a skull (-1). Success! Lola remembers that she "distracted the guards."

We're no closer to finding Daniel, but we're doing a bang-up job making a mess of the place!

quote:

> Yorick activates .18 Derringer to attack Young Psychopath (5 to 2). Chaos token is a cultist (0). Success! Young Psychopath is defeated. Yorick plays Baseball Bat from his discard pile, discarding .18 Derringer from play.

>> Yorick discards Haunted from his threat area.

That was the last shot from his gun, so Yorick's cycled his other weapon into play after discarding it from his hand last round.

quote:

> Sefina moves to the Kitchen; Yorick activates Safeguard to move with her.

Eugh, it's no wonder this place is full of roaches! Odds are good that setting a fire in here would only make things safer for everyone.

quote:

> Sefina plays Uncage the Soul, playing Rite of Seeking (2) for 1 resource.

> Sefina activates Rite of Seeking to investigate (7 to 3). Chaos token is a -4. Success! Sefina discovers 2 clues.

Sefina spent a little XP upgrading one copy of Clairvoyance into the level 2 version of Rite of Seeking (the upgraded version of Clairvoyance is actually level 3, too high a level to put in her deck). Functionally they're very similar, but Rite of Seeking carries with it the risk of ending her turn, which is why we want to use it as her last action if possible. The boost to Willpower is very nice; even Ooze and Filth's effect wasn't enough to stop her from finding those clues.

This upkeep is when the Clasp of Black Onyx in Lola's deck makes its appearance. This isn't a problem at all; she doesn't have any resources, and all the cards she wants are already in play.

- Round 7 -

4/7 doom, starting to approach the next threshold.

Corrosion is no problem for Sefina; she's got a set of Lockpicks in her hand, which she can't play while she's got that Straitjacket on (and are redundant with Rite of Seeking anyway) so she pitches those for its effect. Dance of the Yellow King surges (the only enemy in play is the Roach Swarm which just re-engaged with Lola) and Yorick gets another hidden card. Gift of Madness (Misery) isn't a problem; there aren't any location actions that Yorick's interested in right now, and it's easy enough to get rid of later if he needs to. Finally, the Mad Patient that Lola draws spawns down in the western wing of the Asylum Halls, ready for Yorick to come over and take down.

quote:

> Sefina investigates, committing Dario El-Amin (4 to 2). Chaos token is the autofail.

> Sefina investigates (3 to 2). Chaos token is a skull (-1). Success! Sefina discovers a clue.

> Sefina activates the Kitchen, testing Willpower (5 to 2). Chaos token is a skull (-1). Success! Sefina remembers that she "set a fire in the kitchen."

Sefina plays Elusive, moving to the Mess Hall; Yorick activates Safeguard to move with her.

Save the one clue left in the mess hall, we've done everything we can in the rest of the asylum, so it's finally time to start heading down to the basement where Daniel awaits.

quote:

> Yorick moves to Asylum Halls (Western Patient Wing); Mad Patient engages Yorick.

> Yorick activates Baseball Bat to attack Mad Patient (6 to 2). Yorick takes 1 horror on Cherished Keepsake, discarding it from play. Chaos token is a skull (-1). Success! Mad Patient is defeated. Yorick draws a card from the location reaction, and plays .18 Derringer (2) from his discard pile, discarding Baseball Bat from play.

Another threat defeated; we had to cycle the gun back into play sooner than I'd like, but as long as Yorick's resources don't drop too low he'll be fine. Lola, meanwhile, still has a roach problem, but there's no reason to waste time punching it to death.

quote:

> Lola evades Roach Swarm (5 to 3). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Roach Swarm is exhausted.

>>> Lola moves to the Yard, then to Asylum Halls (Western Patient Wing), then to Asylum Halls (Eastern Patient Wing); Yorick activates Safeguard to move with her.

For someone restricted from moving more than once per turn, Yorick has been pretty drat mobile this round! And hey, we're right next door to the basement now; Daniel might be right behind that door.

- Round 8 -

5/7 doom.

Another round of relatively harmless treacheries. Sefina can't even attack the Young Psychopath she draws, so the increased fight stat is meaningless. She'll just be evading it and moving on. Ooze and Filth won't do much when we don't have anything to investigate anyway, and The Yellow Sign is actually a test that Lola wants to fail! The only "Madness" weakness left in her deck is her last copy of Crisis of Identity, which would do nothing as she's still in Mystic form, with no matching cards in hand or in play. It's unfortunate, then, that she only get a -1 token and passes the test!

Before we do anything else, let's head down to the basement and see what we're dealing with.

quote:

> Lola moves to the Basement Hall; Yorick activates Safeguard to move with her.

Well, the victory point is nice, though the shroud's too high for either of these investigators to handle. The important thing is that we've encountered a miserable hallway full of locked doors, any one of which could be hiding the man we're looking for.

No reason to waste time, let's crack these things open. The four Patient Confinement cells are randomized, so we'll just go clockwise.

quote:

> Lola moves to Patient Confinement (NE), spending 1 clue.

We've got plenty of clues thanks to our efforts in the rest of the asylum, so the entry cost here is no problem. There's no sign of Daniel in this cell, though perhaps talking to the patient in here will prove useful. Before we do that, Lola's drawn a few skill cards over the last few rounds, so she spends her last 2 actions discarding her hidden card that prevents her from using them.

Yorick's got a clue of his own, so he'll check another room.

quote:

> Yorick moves to Patient Confinement (SE), spending 1 clue.

An incredibly easy skill test, considering Yorick doesn't have any horror on him (none of the investigators do, actually). However, his Gift of Madness prevents him from taking advantage of this. We'll worry about that later; this is a good time to get rid of his other hidden card that prevents moving more than once per turn, so the rest of his actions go to discarding that.

Sefina's making her way over to help with the search.

quote:

> Sefina evades Young Psychopath, committing Unexpected Courage (6 to 3). Chaos token is a +1. Success! Young Psychopath is exhausted.

>> Sefina moves to Asylum Halls (Western Patient Wing), then to Asylum Halls (Eastern Patient Wing).

Since the agenda is getting close to advancing, Lola chooses to gain a resource in upkeep this round. This temporarily turns off Dark Horse, but it'll let her play the Clasp of Black Onyx in her hand, getting that weakness out of the way while things are still quiet. It's bound to get crazy in here soon.

- Round 9 -

6/7 doom, almost there!

Nothing new here; the Straitjacket completely whiffs on Sefina as she can't wear more than one. The Maniac Yorick draws deals a damage to his Guard Dog; this is enough to take it out, but puts a total of 2 damage on the Maniac, within striking distance of finishing it off. And Lola's up by 1 on the test from Walls Closing In, and the elder sign she draws clinches the success (and lets her switch back into Guardian form).

It's Sefina's turn to try opening a cell.

quote:

> Sefina plays Holy Rosary.

>> Sefina moves to Basement Hall, then to Patient Confinement (SW), spending 1 clue.

Still no luck! And a terrible skill test for Sefina (though by the sounds of it, this might be one that's more trouble than it's worth). There's only one place left that Daniel could be, so Lola will go and check it out.

quote:

> Lola plays Clasp of Black Onyx.

> Lola activates the Patient Confinement (Dreary Cell), testing Intellect (4 to 2). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Lola remembers that she "knows the guard's patrols."

>> Lola moves to the Basement Hall, then to Patient Confinement (NW), spending 1 clue.

Well this is bad; Daniel's our only lead, but he's clearly in no shape to talk to anyone. We've got to get him to safety before he can help us in our quest to solve the mystery of The King in Yellow. It's time for a good old-fashioned escort mission!

The bad news is Lola has to watch over him, and he takes up an ally slot, both of which are full. I think we'll discard Peter; the extra action from Leo is more valuable than a few stat boosts.

Now that we've picked up Daniel, our new goal is to escape the asylum. The guards locked us in, so our next best option is to cause a big enough ruckus that we can slip out in the confusion. We'll need to head out to various locations in the asylum, and find ways to cause problems for the guards and staff. To, uh, cause problems... for the...

Oh poo poo, we've already done four of those tasks. We're good to go! The third act immediately advances:

Contrary to the flavor text, nothing at all happens here. There had been only one monster beneath the act deck, and it already got shuffled into the encounter deck from the previous act card. This is why those Gift of Madness hidden cards are so dangerous - their effect can be difficult to deal with, but the cost of getting rid of it is another monster that will eventually make its way into the encounter deck. So far we've only been dealing with roaches and asylum patients, but these things are much, much more fearsome.

In any event, we have our final objective of the scenario. Get to the Garden, kill (or evade) anything lurking there, and escape with our lives. Should be no problem, right?

Well, there's a few minor tasks to take care of before we go. There are two locations with VP on them that we'd like to clear off, and we'll need to slap down any enemies we encounter along the way. One of which is currently pestering poor Yorick.

quote:

> Yorick moves to Basement Hall; Maniac makes an attack of opportunity, dealing 1 damage to Yorick.

> Yorick activates .18 Derringer to attack Maniac (6 to 3). Chaos token is the elder sign (+2). Success! Maniac is defeated. Yorick returns Guard Dog to his hand, and plays Cherished Keepsake from his discard pile. Yorick plays Evidence, discovering 1 clue.

> Yorick plays Ever Vigilant, playing Guard Dog for 2 resources.

That elder sign was a hell of a pull. Yorick was already going to get to replay something from his discard pile when he killed the Maniac, and the token let him recover a second card, getting him fully re-equipped. And on top of all that, Evidence let him grab one of the clues off the high-shroud location with a victory point. A very effective turn!

- Round 10 -

The second agenda advances:

Yet another monster makes its way into the deck. It'll take us several rounds to get up to the Garden and escape, so there's a good chance one of them will show its face. At least we don't have to deal with "evil Constance" - that's the benefit of burning down the mansion back in scenario 2, it killed off all the party guests that might show up later in the campaign. The downside? We'll worry about that later.

The game isn't holding back any longer - any monsters that we'd set up, from skull tokens, treachery cards, or anything else - are going straight into the encounter deck now. The walls of the asylum are coming down.

At least we're pretty safe this round. The Yellow Sign is an easy test for Sefina with her high Willpower, and she passes with flying colors. Yorick should have no trouble squashing the Roach Swarm he draws, and the Mad Patient spawns in the empty hallway.

Since there are two enemies nearby, Yorick will go first to handle them.

quote:

> Yorick activates .18 Derringer to attack Roach Swarm (6 to 4). Chaos token is a -2. Success! Roach Swarm is defeated.

> Yorick moves to Asylum Halls (Eastern Patient Wing). Mad Patient engages Yorick.

> Yorick activates .18 Derringer to attack Mad Patient (6 to 2). Yorick takes 1 horror on Cherished Keepsake. Chaos token is a -1. Success! Mad Patient is defeated. Yorick plays Baseball Bat from his discard pile, discarding .18 Derringer from play.

The path is clear, and the rest of our investigators can make their way onward!

quote:

> Sefina moves to Basement Hall.

> Sefina activates Rite of Seeking to investigate (8 to 4). Chaos token is a cultist (0). Success! Sefina discovers 2 clues, and immediately ends her turn.

Bad luck on the token there - since it had a symbol, Rite of Seeking forced Sefina to lose her last action, so she won't be able to move again until her next turn. At least Lola doesn't have that problem!

quote:

>>> Lola moves to Basement Hall, then to Asylum Halls (Eastern Patient Wing), then to Asylum Halls (Western Patient Wing); Yorick activates Safeguard to move with her.

> Lola draws a card.

Good progress so far, should be about 2 more rounds before we're out.

- Round 11 -

The first of 8 doom is added to the final agenda.

Oof, this is a rough round of cards. Yorick's the one who draws Corrosion this time around, forcing him to discard his Baseball Bat and leaving him without a weapon. Sefina could've canceled this with a Ward, except she just drew Whispers in Your Head, preventing her from playing events. And our first monster shows up, though the Spawn of Hali isn't too intimidating. Lola has no chance of killing it, but it should be easy enough to evade.

Before doing anything else, Yorick needs to get re-equipped.

quote:

> Yorick moves to the Mess Hall; Young Psychopath engages Yorick, who takes 1 horror on Cherished Keepsake, discarding it from play.

> Yorick fights Young Psychopath, committing Vicious Blow (6 to 2). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Young Psychopath is defeated, and Yorick plays .18 Derringer from his discard pile.

Guess leaving that enemy alive paid off, as Yorick's back in business. Now let's grab that last clue we need for the victory point.

quote:

> Lola evades Spawn of Hali, committing Unexpected Courage (6 to 2). Chaos token is a cultist (0). Success! Spawn of Hali is exhausted.

> Lola moves to Mess Hall.

> Lola investigates, committing Inquiring Mind (7 to 2). Chaos token is a -1. Success! Lola discovers a clue, and discards a card.

> Lola moves to Asylum Halls (Western Patient Wing); Yorick activates Safeguard to move with her.

Sefina's a little ways back, but she really needs to get rid of that hidden card. Not being able to play events absolutely cripples her, and we won't be safe until we're all out of here.

quote:

> Sefina moves to Asylum Halls (Eastern Patient Wing).

>> Sefina discards Whispers in Your Head (Doubt).

When the Spawn of Hali readies, we choose to have it engage with Lola. We're better off evading the thing and running away, rather than wasting time in a fight.

- Round 12 -

The threats continue to mount! These are all Sefina's cards; the first two treacheries surge (there's a few enemies in play, but none are Lunatics) and she draws the other monster in the deck, the Screeching Byakhee. Unlike the other one, this is one monster we don't want to leave behind, as it'll reward a victory point if we can kill it. Its statline shouldn't make that too much of a challenge, either.

As for the other investigators, Yorick draws Corrosion once again, but this time Sefina's able to protect him with a Ward of Protection. And Walls Closing in is an easy test for Lola to pass, being up by 2 on the challenge.

Now, Sefina could spend 2 actions fighting the Byakhee, but she's running behind the group as it is. Instead, she'll take advantage of another of her tricks to bring the monster with her at no risk to herself.

quote:

> Sefina moves to Asylum Halls (Western Patient Wing). Screeching Byakhee makes an attack of opportunity; Sefina plays Narrow Escape to cancel the attack and get +2 to her next skill test.

> Sefina evades Screeching Byakhee (6 to 3). Chaos token is a -3. Success! Screeching Byakhee is exhausted.

> Sefina moves to the Yard.

Nicely done! She's made it safely away from the biggest source of danger, and dropped the monster off at Yorick's feet to be gunned down with abandon.

quote:

> Yorick activates .18 Derringer to attack Screeching Byakhee (6 to 3). Chaos token is a skull (-1). Success! Screeching Byakhee takes 2 damage.

> Yorick activates .18 Derringer to attack Screeching Byakhee (6 to 3). Chaos token is the elder sign (+2). Success! Screeching Byakhee is defeated. Yorick returns Vicious Blow to his hand, and plays Cherished Keepsake from his discard pile.

With only a few minor threats left, we're basically free to run for the exit.

quote:

> Lola evades Spawn of Hali; Yorick commits Unexpected Courage (6 to 2). Chaos token is a +1. Success! Spawn of Hali is exhausted.

>> Lola moves to the Yard, then to the Garden; Yorick exhausts Safeguard to move with her twice. Roach Swarm engages Lola.

> Lola fights Roach Swarm; Yorick commits Vicious Blow (6 to 3). Chaos token is a cultist (0). Success! Roach Swarm is defeated.

We've made it to the exit, and dealt the last of the enemies in our way. As long as no more enemies show up in the next Mythos Phase, we're free to resign and win the scenario. Wait... Lola, why are you choosing to gain a resource in upkeep? What are you planning, Lola?

- Round 13 -

Looks like we're safe; no monsters here, and none of these treacheries have a meaningful effect. Time to go!

quote:

>> Sefina moves to the Garden, then resigns.

quote:

>> Yorick discards Gift of Madness (Misery) from his hand, shuffling a monster into the encounter deck, then resigns.

Had to get rid of this little doohickey; the resign action is actually on the Garden location, and this prevented Yorick from using that. But at least we don't have to worry about actually drawing that monster now, right?

quote:

> Lola plays Delve Too Deep.

Yeah, yeah, shocking, I know. But a VP's a VP, and we need all the experience we can get! It worked out, too, as there's nothing stopping Lola from resigning now, completing the final act:

As we were able to obtain the keys through charm and persuasion, we're able to make our way out to safety, unnoticed and unharmed.

quote:

Resolution 3

With the asylum staff distracted and patients running amok, you are able to slip away without being noticed. You escape deeper into the garden behind the asylum, where a two-story tall fence topped with barbed wire is all that separates you from the outside world. You have little time, and need to make it far away from the asylum before the guards return and spot you. Using a straitjacket you’d found inside to cover the barbed wire, you scale the fence quickly, breaking into a run as you make it to the other side.

> In your Campaign Log, record that the investigators escaped the Asylum.

> Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the victory display.

> If Constance Dumaine (A Little Too Sociable) is in the victory display, record her name in your Campaign Log, under “VIPs Slain.”

> Remove all cultist, tablet, and elder thing tokens from the chaos bag. Then, add 2 elder thing tokens to the chaos bag.

> Proceed to Interlude II: Lost Soul.

A much better display this time around! And we'll need it. The story is already halfway complete, but the true terror has only just begun...

quote:

Campaign Log

Sefina Rousseau: 6 unspent XP
William Yorick: 5 unspent XP
Lola Hayes: 8 unspent XP

- you chose not to go to the police
- the Stranger is on to you
- you slayed the monsters at the dinner party
- you took the onyx clasp
- the investigators escaped the Asylum

Conviction: II
Doubt: I

Chasing the Stranger: IV

VIPs Interviewed:
Constance Dumaine
Ishimaru Haruko
Sebastien Moreau
Ashleigh Clarke

VIPs Slain:
Constance Dumaine
Ishimaru Haruko
Sebastien Moreau
Ashleigh Clarke
Jordan Perry

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Apologies for the length of this update! Normally I'd split this in two, but there isn't really a natural break point, so y'all get an extra-long one today.

The next interlude will be coming soon, with another vote to make.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Good update! Pretty funny how poor Yorik was pullling new guns and bats all the time, only to have them corroded away. Also, Delve too Deep is bound to bite you in the rear end eventually.

My group tapped out in the previous campaign, so it's interesting to see how the designers were trying new things as they progressed through the campaigns.

yello
Nov 28, 2000

Jesus Fucking Christ I posted in a stupid GBS avatar thread and some piece of shit saddled me with this spiteful nightmare fuel.
Grimey Drawer
Awesome update! Really enjoying the “are we the baddies?” vibe I get from this scenario. I love that we just rolled up to the asylum and, not content with more arson, started a riot after sweet talking our way in.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

yello posted:

Awesome update! Really enjoying the “are we the baddies?” vibe I get from this scenario. I love that we just rolled up to the asylum and, not content with more arson, started a riot after sweet talking our way in.
I love it and the "are we the baddies" vibe for sure but the way I read the scenario text I think it's less that we sweet talked our way in and more that they decided from our ramblings about a cursed play that we would in fact get an appointment with the psychiatrist - as new, permanent patients in the asylum. They did have security escort us in and then immediately locked the doors behind us, after all.

Edit: Also one of high security patient rooms, the "Familiar Cell" seems heavily implied to be our own.

yello
Nov 28, 2000

Jesus Fucking Christ I posted in a stupid GBS avatar thread and some piece of shit saddled me with this spiteful nightmare fuel.
Grimey Drawer

Rawkking posted:

I love it and the "are we the baddies" vibe for sure but the way I read the scenario text I think it's less that we sweet talked our way in and more that they decided from our ramblings about a cursed play that we would in fact get an appointment with the psychiatrist - as new, permanent patients in the asylum. They did have security escort us in and then immediately locked the doors behind us, after all.

Edit: Also one of high security patient rooms, the "Familiar Cell" seems heavily implied to be our own.

Ahh that makes a lot of sense. My first interpretation was that they locked the doors behind us as SOP. I like this version of events. If the straight jacket fits…

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Sefina, strolling around Arkham Asylum with a straightjacket on: this is fine actually

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Hey, they used it to get over the barbed wire at the end so it all worked out.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Interlude II: Lost Soul

You decide to lay low for some time in Ma’s Boarding House and hide Daniel from the authorities, although you’re unsure how long you’ll be able to stay in Arkham with an escaped asylum patient.

Daniel is a loose cannon, dazed and unresponsive one moment, and screaming for his life the next. It takes several days for him to realize he’s no longer institutionalized, which for some reason makes him even more terrified. “He’s coming for me, he’s coming for me!” he rambles, sometimes for hours at a time. Finally, during an unusually warm and starry night, Daniel is calm enough to open up to you.

“The King in Yellow, it’s not just a play,” he explains. “It’s a being named Hastur, and He’s already claimed me. But there’s still time for you. You are not yet possessed. You have yet to speak the Oath. Whatever you do, speak not his name. Do not give in.” You ask him about the strange events that have been happening across town, and of the cultists and creatures you’ve encountered. “They are trying to find Carcosa,” he says matter-of-factly. You recognize the name as the fictional city from the play, the one The King in Yellow rules over. “They want to release Hastur from His prison. But you!—You can open the way to Carcosa before they do! You can seal Hastur for good!” He grips you tightly as he rants. “Quickly, before the Stranger discovers our plan!”

Hours later, Daniel is incoherent and unresponsive once more. You take a long walk to ease your thoughts, mulling over this new information. You’re unsure what to make of his wild claims. Before you can make a decision about what to do next, you return to find the door to your room broken open. Daniel lies in a heap on the ground, his face colorless and body limp. Judging from the bruising around his neck, you surmise that he has been choked to death.

quote:

> Each investigator earns 2 additional experience as they gain insight into the machinations of the Tattered King.

> The investigators must decide:

- Possession? Oaths? There must be another explanation for all of this. Proceed to Ignore the Warning.

- We must heed Daniel’s warning. We must not speak the name of the King in Yellow. Proceed to Heed the Warning.

:siren: So what will it be? Do we listen to the warning Daniel gave us and refuse to speak the name? Or do we resolve to find another explanation?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Heed. Nothing good comes from repeating strange names without knowing their meaning.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

He's full of crap, just a madman. Ignore the Warning.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Heed.

There is a power in names, one which cannot be denied.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Heed We are not Old Man Henderson who can get away, kinda, with saying that name.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Heed the warning. There's enough bad things going on, we don't need anything else on our plate.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Heed the warning. Seems pretty silly to say that possession and oaths are out of the question when we already know magic and monsters are real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yello
Nov 28, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Heed the warning. We didn’t break him out to not believe him!