Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i dont. that is why i have "an office", it serves as a computer junk containment zone so i can just close the door and it all disappears when i need it to

at least that was the case before covid, then nobody was coming over anyway so it started spreading

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but seriously i’m moving in my partner and she’s not a slob and there’s gonna be a part of the end of the living area that my pc and synths will end up and I want that poo poo tidy and contemporary

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah we’re gonna have 5 kids under one roof and we’re building a two bedroom sleepout to do it and there simply no other place in the house for my pc and synths to exist

it’s gonna look classy. like, she can’t be wanting to go to the bedroom with me but then turn and see my “corner” and get profoundly turned off

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i bought a Fully standing desk along with their cable tidy thing and a desktop plug socket, works great. All the cables go through the holes and under the desk into a tray, and if you need to plug a laptop or something in there's a socket right there, no need to get on your knees and fumble around in the giant mess of cables hidden underneath

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Oh synths too? Yeah if you figure it out let me know because I've given up and allowed it to become a complete sprawl

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

yooo echi congrats on your life event :3:

also

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i use velcro tape to ensure particularly long runs of things dont go all over the place but besides that

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i have a cable box and a couple of those zippered neoprene sleeves but i've got cables that don't work with either so it's still a mess

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I have an L shaped desk so i bought two packs of these and have them in two parallel L's on the bottom back edge of the desk. Outer one is only for power cables, inner is only for data.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LDZKP9P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I don’t op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

an I feel bad about it every day :smith:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

also my desk at home is an absolute mess of unfiled letters and stuff

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

seriously I need an app to help with this before my life falls apart

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

I have an L shaped desk so i bought two packs of these and have them in two parallel L's on the bottom back edge of the desk. Outer one is only for power cables, inner is only for data.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LDZKP9P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

oo poo poo these look perfect

we’re in the position to get new desk or whatnot. In my head I imagine something that has a section big enough to plonk my case in without compromising airflow too much

Dijkstracula posted:

yooo echi congrats on your life event :3:

thankyou

gonna be a fuckin brady bunch sitch

Silver Alicorn posted:

seriously I need an app to help with this before my life falls apart

we can do this

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

One actual tip that's made my cable management significantly easier: both ends of each cable get matched color electrical tape, different kinds of cable like my primary monitor cable and the usb cable going to my switching hub get the same color tape. Really handy for keeping track of which synth power supply is which too.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

InternetOfTwinks posted:

One actual tip that's made my cable management significantly easier: both ends of each cable get matched color electrical tape, different kinds of cable like my primary monitor cable and the usb cable going to my switching hub get the same color tape. Really handy for keeping track of which synth power supply is which too.

Holy poo poo this is a good idea

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Can even put a piece of tape on the front of the unit itself to remember which color corresponds to that device at a glance

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Zip ties, cable sleeves, and mounting tape. Wireless input devices. Wall mount monitor.

If your desk itself doesn’t fit the room get a desk mat or leather hide or something that does fit the room.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

https://www.inkedgaming.com/

I've ordered a few custom mats from these guys and they've always come out great. Just be sure to get the stitched edging and they'll hold up for a while.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I do the multiple tape colors, but also generally do power cabling with zip ties as they rarely change. cables that may change get mounted velcro ties, and then velcro'd together. special use cables live like poo poo all over everything because it's all futile

special sauce is an umbilical for the test bench. vga, usb hub, 2 diff colored ethernet (one to dev network one to open network), iec plug, ac plug, and a powerpole. anything over 500w draw gets its own ac cord to not mess with the ethernet/vga signalling

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Classy leather cord wraps, OP

https://saddlebackleather.com/leather-cord-wrap

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Silver Alicorn posted:

an I feel bad about it every day :smith:
:sympathy: and also :same:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

InternetOfTwinks posted:

I do this but with zip ties. I have four coax patch cables that I use to get from my antenna feedthrough panel (basically a bunch of sockets on a metal plate in my window) to my radios. One cable has no zip ties on it. the others have 1, 2 or 3 zip ties on each end, about 1/2" apart. That way I can identify which one i'm working with by feel behind the radios

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

just a few quick snips and any unsightly cables can be removed

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

hide the filth and clutter under more filth and clutter

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DJ Commie posted:

I do the multiple tape colors, but also generally do power cabling with zip ties as they rarely change. cables that may change get mounted velcro ties, and then velcro'd together. special use cables live like poo poo all over everything because it's all futile

special sauce is an umbilical for the test bench. vga, usb hub, 2 diff colored ethernet (one to dev network one to open network), iec plug, ac plug, and a powerpole. anything over 500w draw gets its own ac cord to not mess with the ethernet/vga signalling

i did this when i used to do pc repair. each "position" on the bench had its own bundle

at home, stuff changes on the bench too often for it to make sense, to me. maybe im working on a receiver, maybe im working on a pc, maybe im working on a camera

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i have a desk totally sling one wall and built a shelf underneath to put all the cables and boxes on. i also have tried to be more practical about just having less stuff/wires, it doesn’t come naturally

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

git apologist posted:

having less stuff/wires

this sounds wrong, and bad

i think you have made a mistake

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nudgenudgetilt posted:

just a few quick snips and any unsightly cables can be removed

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i screwed a 6-way extension cable to the back of the desk, so now everything plugs into that and theres just once cable that comes out and plugs into the wall

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

my cat loves to chew on round cables which means anything dangling over or under my desk is a target. i've had to invest heavily in defenses to guard against her chompers.

mostly i've velcro-tied bundles of cables together, moved my power strips off the ground on mounted them hanging from the desk in an enclosure, and any wires i had to run from one side of the desk to the other i bundled behind the desk.

i also got a wireless mouse.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I don't OP, literally every USB port on my PC has something plugged in and they meld into a mind-bending jungle of black wires

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sweevo posted:

i screwed a 6-way extension cable to the back of the desk, so now everything plugs into that and theres just once cable that comes out and plugs into the wall

lol

uhh lets see what is on this circuit

outlet -> 2x 8 outlet strips for ham desk
outlet -> 10ft awg12 extension -> 10 outlet tripp-lite pdu + 8 outlet strip for audio rack

you need more poo poo !!! !! ! !!!!

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Throw all your synth patch cables away and replace with these: https://www.ctrl-mod.com/products/control-crono-3-5mm-patch-cables?variant=28209001746

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got a table today!!!

I’m pleased as heck because imma be able to hide almost every cable and put poo poo in drawers

people will soon consider me an adult

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

I got a table today!!!

I’m pleased as heck because imma be able to hide almost every cable and put poo poo in drawers

people will soon consider me an adult

i love this for you.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
🙏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I bought an under desk Ikea cable holder thing and it's too small for my powerbar and power brick and dock

thinking about mounting some of this directly under my desk with screws or two sided velcro tape, idk