Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I signed up as an Assault at first but feel free to put me in whichever class you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I only vaguely understand XCOM's "step out" rules but maybe that flank on the suppressing sectoid wasn't a flank because they had stepped out to suppress? So its occupying the tile that your solder would need to step into to flank so you don't get a flank. No idea about the Outsider though.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kibayasu posted:

I only vaguely understand XCOM's "step out" rules but maybe that flank on the suppressing sectoid wasn't a flank because they had stepped out to suppress? So its occupying the tile that your solder would need to step into to flank so you don't get a flank. No idea about the Outsider though.

Tbh I think some maps are just buggy.

Ufos especially have done weird step out rules

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

UFOs have diagonal walls: an insane, terrifying situation never meant to exist within the rules of our honest, god-fearing video game.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That roadway sure is a popular tourist destination so far in this campaign.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So I know very little about this game, what are the ups and downs of the early-game weapons? I'm guessing that SMGs give you more mobility at the cost of reduced damage - possibly the same thing with the LMG vs SAW?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

From what has been mentioned the LMG gives you a small amount of squadsight - I think Fairgame said 5 tiles? - but cannot be fired after making a blue move. From what we've seen it also looks like it has a lot more ammo in a magazine. Ammo capacity looks like another big one early in the game across all weapons, SMGs only get 2 shots before needing a reload.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kibayasu posted:

From what has been mentioned the LMG gives you a small amount of squadsight - I think Fairgame said 5 tiles? - but cannot be fired after making a blue move. From what we've seen it also looks like it has a lot more ammo in a magazine. Ammo capacity looks like another big one early in the game across all weapons, SMGs only get 2 shots before needing a reload.

Yeah. In general they've done a good job balancing the weapons.

SMGs: -1 damage from that tier, +3 mobility, -1 shot in the clip
Carbines: -1 damage from that tier, +6 aim, +1 mobility
Rifle: Base
Battle Rifle: +1 damage from that tier, -1 mobility, -10 aim if firing as a second action
Strike Rifle: can get limited squadsight (5 tiles at level ground, scales with elevation) but does less damage than a sniper rifle. Requires a special item to grant squadsight on scouts. Can be fired with 1 action
Sniper Rifle: infinite squadsight but requires 2 actions to fire (barring special skills for snipers) and is sniper class only.
SAW: 6 shots in the clip, gunner only. Can be fired with 1 action.
LMG: 8 shots in the clip, mobility penalty, gunner only. Limited squadsight same as the strike rifle.

...tbh though I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to finish this. The campaign is going great. The recording isn't. We'll see. Apologies if I end up letting folks down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Are you still taking soldier submissions?

If so, sign me up as a sniper and, when if convenient, eventually a psychic.

EDIT: I guess you're a little sniper-heavy. If Snipers are full, how about a Grenadier instead?

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 21, 2023